2016 3* JUCO QB/ATH John Franklin III (AU commit 11/4/15)

jskilgro

I think offering Franklin says JJ's time at AU is done. And that's a pretty educated "think".

Unless he graduates by the end of the Summer he can't go anywhere for his senior year.

Why not? He can redshirt next year and still play a year at Div 1.

No senior ever redshirts barring injury.

They never do because they can't, or because they just don't?

They don't. Most are in the 2 deep and as of now it still looks like JJ will be in the 2 deep. Also there is no point in him RSing. He's ahead of Sean year wise & Sean will not be going pro before his senior year and JJ would have exhausted eligibility before then even if he RSs. JJs option are finish out as the back up barring injury or transfer to an FCS school like Bama St which is in his home rown and plays their games at the same stadium he played HS ball.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has 2 years left on his clock, but can only play 1 year. So he either goes all in over 2 years for 1 year to shine at a Power 5 school, or finishes up quickly at a lower division school. I'd go with the first option...sit on the sidelines some more, learn, get better with my reads, and then go all out and compete during that 5th year.

Option 1 is only available if he graduated at AU before next Fall (he could play immediately if he transfers then) or if AU lets him RS next year and he graduate before Fall 2017. The chances of Gus letting him stay & RS are slim to none IMO. Per NCAA rules a player who has finished 3 or more of his 5 year clock must graduate before transferring to another FBS school. A transferring Junior can't sit a year then play like transferring Freshmen & Sophs can.

He has 2 years left on his clock, but can only play 1 year. So he either goes all in over 2 years for 1 year to shine at a Power 5 school, or finishes up quickly at a lower division school. I'd go with the first option...sit on the sidelines some more, learn, get better with my reads, and then go all out and compete during that 5th year.

Option 1 is only available if he graduated at AU before next Fall (he could play immediately if he transfers then) or if AU lets him RS next year and he graduate before Fall 2017. The chances of Gus letting him stay & RS are slim to none IMO. Per NCAA rules a player who has finished 3 or more of his 5 year clock must graduate before transferring to another FBS school. A transferring Junior can't sit a year then play like transferring Freshmen & Sophs can.

I wasn't aware of that rule...kind of stinks for guys looking for playing opportunities.

Per NCAA rules a player who has finished 3 or more of his 5 year clock must graduate before transferring to another FBS school. A transferring Junior can't sit a year then play like transferring Freshmen & Sophs can.

Thanks.

I wasn't aware of that rule...kind of stinks for guys looking for playing opportunities.

People complain about recruits "playing games", but the schools have *all* the power. The NCAA really, really sucks.

I think offering Franklin says JJ's time at AU is done. And that's a pretty educated "think".

Unless he graduates by the end of the Summer he can't go anywhere for his senior year.

They don't. Most are in the 2 deep and as of now it still looks like JJ will be in the 2 deep. Also there is no point in him RSing. He's ahead of Sean year wise & Sean will not be going pro before his senior year and JJ would have exhausted eligibility before then even if he RSs. JJs option are finish out as the back up barring injury or transfer to an FCS school like Bama St which is in his home rown and plays their games at the same stadium he played HS ball.

Or he can beat out SW

Or he can beat out SW

True but being the concrete back up now he'll have to out practice SW substantially and IU don't see Sean's game regressing enough for that to happen.

I would've said the same thing about Jeremy. If this season hasn't taught me anything else it's taught me you just never know

I would've said the same thing about Jeremy. If this season hasn't taught me anything else it's taught me you just never know

You right that we never truly know but based on what we do know from what we have learned we can put the chances fairly high that JJ won't beat out SW. SW is much tougher mentally which allows him to perform much better under pressure. Until JJ can handle pressure of being in the moment he will not beat out Sean.

You right that we never truly know but based on what we do know from what we have learned we can put the chances fairly high that JJ won't beat out SW. SW is much tougher mentally which allows him to perform much better under pressure. Until JJ can handle pressure of being in the moment he will not beat out Sean.

Like I said I'm not guaranteeing anything, next year could come and neither one would be the qb

Like I said I'm not guaranteeing anything, next year could come and neither one would be the qb

True but unlikely unless we offer & sign Jerod Evans.

E, do you think there is a chance we sign Barrett, Franklin, and Evans in this class (and Narcisse in the next). If so that would be 3 DT QBs in the same class which I think would signal that CGM has been convinced that he can only win with a DT QB as several on this forum have been preaching. Personally I'm not sure any type of QB can win unless we make major improvement on the Defensive side.

E, do you think there is a chance we sign Barrett, Franklin, and Evans in this class (and Narcisse in the next). If so that would be 3 DT QBs in the same class which I think would signal that CGM has been convinced that he can only win with a DT QB as several on this forum have been preaching. Personally I'm not sure any type of QB can win unless we make major improvement on the Defensive side.

It depends if the staff believes in SW. FTR we are recruiting JF3 as an ATH which means he would likely be a WR for us.

There's a name you forgot though. We could easily sign Jake Bentley in 2017 also.

It depends if the staff believes in SW. FTR we are recruiting JF3 as an ATH which means he would likely be a WR for us.

There's a name you forgot though. We could easily sign Jake Bentley in 2017 also.

E, it seems that since CGM has been here, he has recruited NM from the JUCO ranks as a DT QB, but has not signed DT QBs as much as Pro type QBs. JJ stuck with his commitment during the coaching transition and we signed SW and TQ. Gus recruited the Clemson QB and the LSU QB, but didn't sign either one. Is he very selective with reguard to DT QBs, or is he trying to prove his scheme will work no matter the QB running that scheme?

Gus seems to have been caught with no DT QBs in the stable as a viable option. Was this by design? Any insight you might have would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I think you made your own point when you pointed out he recruited Watson and Harris but didn't land them....

I don't think JJ is leaving AU but I don't think he will see a significant snap at QB again for AU unless SW get hurt.

I think you made your own point when you pointed out he recruited Watson and Harris but didn't land them....

I'm not trying to make a point, I just had a question about the QBs on our team at the moment. I'm guessing Gus' closing skills are not up to par with Les and Dabo?

I'm not trying to make a point, I just had a question about the QBs on our team at the moment. I'm guessing Gus' closing skills are not up to par with Les and Dabo?

I wish we had Watson. He is too good to be at auburn-lite

I don't know but it seems he knew what he wanted running the team and what would be successful, especially with Watson

I don't know but it seems he knew what he wanted running the team and what would be successful, especially with Watson

Agree with that.

Exactly. Those guys were higher on our board and probably got scared off knowing JJ was already here.

I wish we had Watson. He is too good to be at auburn-lite

I hate Clemson but they certainly have a great team. Good chance they go the the playoff this year.

Shows what we could've been. Watson had the same type of start as Jeremy, but kept getting better and better. They also have exponentially better wr and have recruited better at wr for a while....wait who the heck is their wr coach? Watkins, Hopkins, Bryant, Peake the guy they have now....

E, it seems that since CGM has been here, he has recruited NM from the JUCO ranks as a DT QB, but has not signed DT QBs as much as Pro type QBs. JJ stuck with his commitment during the coaching transition and we signed SW and TQ. Gus recruited the Clemson QB and the LSU QB, but didn't sign either one. Is he very selective with reguard to DT QBs, or is he trying to prove his scheme will work no matter the QB running that scheme?

Gus seems to have been caught with no DT QBs in the stable as a viable option. Was this by design? Any insight you might have would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I think til now he tries to get the best he can regardless of style then try to adapt the O to the QBs skills.

Archived