Craig a candidate for lsu WR coach (update: Done Deal)

WarDamnEagleWDE

^^Judging by everything WDEWDE said, we have a right to complain. If this doesn't happen and the team gets it together this season, I'll come out and declare how wrong I was and how happy I am for it.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't let an Auburn legend, a top 3 in the nation recruiter and a man who loves Auburn, walk. You just don't. I don't care how well he coaches WRs, he is a QB coach anyway and a darn good one, you just don't let a man like this get away.

Your darn right we have the right to express concerns. As IronMan70 said how do you let a top 3 in the national recruiter and a man who loves Auburn walk away. I'm sure Gus would do all he could to give Lashlee what ever he wanted in order to keep him. But when it comes to TRob and DC then thanks and goodbye.

:'-(

You don't let an Auburn legend, a top 3 in the nation recruiter and a man who loves Auburn, walk. You just don't. I don't care how well he coaches WRs, he is a QB coach anyway and a darn good one, you just don't let a man like this get away.

LOL....you don't let the WR coach walk regardless of whether he can coach WRs? You're smarter than that. Here's an idea...if you are truly an "Auburn man", have had very subpar WRs while you were the WR coach, were given the opportunity this year to coach one of the QBs in spite of your lackluster WRs, maybe you don't just walk out for a lateral position because your subpar on field performance didn't earn you a giant promotion? :dunno:

I hate this. Wish he'd stay. Maybe we'll have a future shot at him. Let's hope so.

WDE !!!

It's official, DC is leaving AU for LSWhoo: http://auburn.247spo...to-LSU-43703429

Auburn assistant headed to LSU

AUBURN – Dameyune Craig, an Auburn football icon who became an Auburn coach, is going away. Craig has agreed to join head coach Les Miles’ staff at LSU, AuburnUndercover has learned.

(Photo: Keith Niebuhr , 247Sports)

Craig, Auburn’s co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach, will coach wide receivers LSU, where he was a graduate assistant on Nick Saban’s staff in 2004.

"Dameyune is a quarterback by nature so he’s going to be a tremendous asset to us in all phases of the passing game,” Miles said in an official release announcing the hire. “He coached a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback at Florida State and developed some outstanding receivers at Auburn. He comes to us with great coaching credentials as well as being a proven recruiter. We look forward to the contributions that he’s going to bring to our football program.”

After three seasons at Florida State, Craig joined Gus Malzahn’s first Auburn staff in January of 2013 and helped the Tigers win the SEC championship and fall barely short against Florida State in the BCS Championship Game.

Craig said at the time that the lure of coaching at his alma mater was too strong to ignore.

"The day it happened, I think I had over 100 text messages, guys I hadn't heard from in a long time congratulating me," Craig said. "I didn't realize it was that big a deal as far as former teammates congratulating me and fans and people all across the nation. It was heartwarming. You feel that. People make you feel so welcome here. It's about the people. That was overwhelming. It made me feel good, and I'm excited about it."

Despite those feelings, Craig has decided to move on. He made the decision just more than a week after leading the way in landing one of the nation’s top classes of wide receivers.

Craig is No. 5 all-time at Auburn in career passing yards with 6,026. In 1997, he passed for 3,277 yards, still a school record, and led the Tigers to the SEC Championship Game.

Craig’s stunning decision to leave his alma mater and make a lateral move to another SEC West program will spark conversation and perhaps even controversy. With spring practice set to begin on March 1, Malzahn will be under pressure to move quickly to hire a replacement.

Since the end of the 2015 season, Malzahn’s has lost five of nine assistant coaches. Defensive coordinator Will Muschamp was named head coach at South Carolina, and defensive assistants Travaris Robinson and Lance Thompson went with him. Offensive line coach J.B. Grimes left for Cincinnati.

Same people saying no big deal will be crying when we're getting our face kicked in because our guys aren't good enough....actually some won't they'll be content that we "played hard"

Who the !@#$ can we get who not only kicks ass on the trail but also brings this kind of street cred with them?????? >:( >:(>:(

Gus Malzahn has lost my confidence. The man, honorable as he may be, loyal as he may be, is no longer leading this team with the team coming first. He is going to sink or swim with Rhett lashlee and unfortunately it's sinking quick fast and in a hurry. He is an anchor dragging this team down. His play calling is suspect, his recruiting is suspect, his development is suspect. I will never quit on my university and I will never quit on this team, but Gustav Malzahn will not be our head coach next year and this move is the proverbial nail in the coffin.

I realize I am probably about to get slammed but I am not sure why this is a huge issue. Remember back December 2012 - January 2013, how hard did Gus have to work to convince DC to come to AU to begin with. How many times did DC tell Gus no and Gus kept going back because he wanted an AU man on campus with him. Since then how have things progressed? DC is an amazing recruiter probably one of the best on the SEC if not the country but what about his on field coaching? Can anyone sit there and say that the receivers have been the best coached group on the field? The receivers were was the second biggest problem on the field last year outside of QB. Now granted I am not sure Lashlee can handle the OC/QB job but to sit there and honestly say he should be fired and DC promoted is absurd. DC has shown me nothing on the field coaching to prove he is anymore capable that Lashlee at developing players. The receivers have not progressed at all since he came to AU. In fact you could argue that they have regressed and are not as well coached as they were in 2012.

I am not a football coach at any level and never have been. So my experience level is purely anecdotal but I have been in retail management for the last 20 years and one of the biggest lessons I learned in hiring and managing my employees is that if someone wants to leave you do not throw the sink at them to get them to stay. The first time an employee walks into your office and says if you do not do this or if you do not pay me that I am going to quit you let them. They are eventually going to leave anyway so go ahead and rip the band aid off and let them go. The moment you start giving into their demands and letting the employees set policies and pay levels you lose all control over your business and lose all credibility with your other employees. Just my observation from managing people not sure if that translates to how to manage a coaching staff but it works really well managing other types of staffs. Also it should have some relevance since the trend now is to bring in athletic directors with business backgrounds instead of football backgrounds.

Oh one other note since it was brought up by someone else earlier in the thread the Governor of Louisiana did state it is possible that LSU football could be cancelled next year. The state budget impacts all state run institutions regardless if the athletic dept makes a lot of money or not.

http://espn.go.com/c...roposals-passed

No offense 4life but your post shows how little some of you know about AU football and college football programs in general. What DC did for AU football can't be replaced. And screw Gus for letting his ego get into the way again. Gus has put himself on an island by himself now with some of the power brokers at AU.

Chiz 2.0 all again.

No offense taken. However with all due respect, and remember I am saying with all due respect here, your arrogance with thinking that you know more than others because they do not agree with you is the problem with some AU fans. I do agree that what DC did for AU football on the field as a player cannot be replaced, but this is not 1997 and just because what he did on the field as a player cannot be replaced does not mean you sell the farm to keep him on the coaching staff. Because honestly he can be replaced on the coaching staff. He is a top level recruiter no doubt but he is a C level coach, or at least the product the receivers have been putting on the field the last three years is C level. There was not a receiver on the 2015 team that progressed and was any better than they were in 2014. Hell the receivers cost AU the Arkansas game all on their own.

Wasn't the wr play good the two years before that? You're hedging your stats to back up your claims

I would argue that the receiver play was not good before that. You had Sammy making some big time plays then dropping some passes. Outside of Coates and the little Duke contributed what other receiver could you say developed over the last three years? Did Ricardo get better while he was at AU? He had one awesome catch but would you say he progressed? Tony Stevens was a really good recruit he was supposed to have a break out season this year. Did he? Marcus Davis was better as a true freshman than he has been since. I am not hedging my bets I just cannot think of one receiver who has gotten better or progressed over the last three years. Can you? Point out some progression for me? Please if I am missing some quantifiable hard evidence to prove that DC has the receivers playing better in year three than in year one please show me the evidence.

Not sure it's fair to blame CDC for the WR performance. He's leaving precisely because he can't -- isn't allowed -- to coach the way he wants.

Why do you say that he is leaving because they will not let him coach receivers like he wants? That seems silly to me. I go back to the fact that coaching receivers is the same as the line in that you focus on drills, routes, feet, etc.... Nothing groundbreaking in how to coach a position just some are better getting across their message. CDC came to AU knowing that he was not the OC so what changed. In football, the HC has to have someone he feels can finish his sentences and Rhett has been that for Gus and will continue to be that. I am not saying I think Rhett is a great coach or should be the OC but anyone that thought he was going to be pushed aside was kidding himself.

Well, I said not let him coach the way he wants, as opposed to not let him coach the receivers the way he wants. I am just putting two and two together. Obviously, CDC is miffed about something, or he wouldn't be looking into a lateral move to a division rival. And, actually, CDC came to AU as co-offensive coordinator, so I don't think it makes sense to suggest he thought he'd have no input in the offense beyond working on receivers' feet and hands.

i do not disagree with you but this is how I see it. and did not believe anything would change this offseason. Gus is gonna be the OC. When he is away Rhett is his mouthpiece as I think Rhett is his protege. Based on that alone Rhett was not getting replaced, kind of like having your son on staff. Hopefully they all had input on the game plan as well as the support staff, but ultimately Gus's calls the plays. Don't you think that is the same from when CDC was hired so why now the discontent?

I think I'd get pretty tired of feeling limited, and that it would get worse with time, and especially when what's happening isn't working (like last season). If I thought I could do better, but wasn't allowed to, that would be frustrating.

Bingo! Even if Rhett wasn't fired. What harm would it do to give CDC more control over the offense or QBs?

It was already pointed out that he was coaching JF3 to play QB...Is that not more control of the QBs considering he had none before? Sure seems like more control :dunno:

Is he supposed to get all the control overnight? I guess we should give him whatever he wants because he can recruit talent whether he's proven he can coach or not...

Why not overnight. I mean our OC is a grad assistant and he has full control. Doesn't seem like it could be worse under CDC. If you're ok with Gus letting CDC just walk away that's your right. I don't see the man as only a great recruiter. He had a large influence on our program just beyond recruiting. That's not hard to see. I would not have had an issue if he left for a promotion. I never expected him to stay forever but the fact that he's taking a lateral position at a rival and will be able to kill us in recruiting...i think that's pretty important to our program. The problem is this didn't have to occur. I'd give him more control. We knew what he desired when we lured him from FSU. Heck we even gave the man an added title to justify the money we're paying him as a WR coach. I hope this works out but Gus better have a good plan. Why did we work so hard to get CDC from FSU now only to let him walk out the door without trying to make him stay?

We had the single best recruiter in the Mobile area and watched him walk to arguably our 3rd biggest rival. One of if not the biggest coaching losses I can remember at AU. A REAL bad day for Auburn.

LSU Officially Announces Hiring Of Auburn Coach Dameyune Craig To Tigers’ Staff

Andrew Holleran

LSU’s football program has a new wide receivers’ coach.

The Tigers have hired Dameyune Craig, who has spent the last three years as Auburn’s co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach.

Craig replaces former LSU wide receiver coach Tony Ball.

LOL....you don't let the WR coach walk regardless of whether he can coach WRs? You're smarter than that. Here's an idea...if you are truly an "Auburn man", have had very subpar WRs while you were the WR coach, were given the opportunity this year to coach one of the QBs in spite of your lackluster WRs, maybe you don't just walk out for a lateral position because your subpar on field performance didn't earn you a giant promotion? :dunno:/>

Here is a better idea. Why don't you get it through your head there is a much MUCH bigger picture to this than your narrow focus on coaching WRs.

I hate this. Wish he'd stay. Maybe we'll have a future shot at him. Let's hope so.

WDE

DC was one of my favorite all time AU players and was my favorite staff member. But taking a lateral move in the same division kills it for me.

Part of me says I don't ever want to see him wearing an AU logo again.

Part of me says we will never know with 100% certainty the truth of what's going on.

Overall, I'm just sick. It really pisses me off to see alumni turn their back on AU when we need them most.

EVERYBODY on this board would want the freedom to hire their own coaches and run the program according to their own beliefs. I have always felt AU should hire the head coach and leave him/her alone. Success or failure is theirs alone. ANY coach that would follow advice of fans or media is not a leader, but a follower.

Agreed. I've felt for a while that either we should change DCs role to ONLY QBs, not OC or try and hire a quality WR coach that is a solid recruiter. I'm not happy to lose his recruiting, but his WR output won't be missed (should he leave). This is likely a lot less of a hit than the angry mob will admit. Now that we have a group of top notch receivers in, it's a good time to have top notch WR coach. If a new WR coach puts a quality product on the field, the recruiting will take care of itself.

Co sign...hate to see him go, but got to remain optimistic

I'm sure all of you Gus & Rhett supporters will keep wearing orange and blue glasses and love everything they do and say.

Not me, if this happens, I'm off the bus!

There is no positive here. GM must be a real jerk of a head coach to drive so many coaches away. He needs to explsin himself in a press conference and reporters better hold his tert to the fire. How in the world did he allow thus to happen. Well I think the worst part was lying to revruits since these rumors were sround for awhile.

Alabama Newsletter

AUBURN – Dameyune Craig, an Auburn football icon who became an Auburn coach, is going away. Craig has agreed to join head coach Les Miles’ staff at LSU, which was announced in an official release from LSU on Sunday. 6_3906130.jpg (Photo: Keith Niebuhr , 247Sports)

“I want to thank the Auburn family for all of their love and support over the years,” Craig said in the release. “My decision to make this career move is in no way a reflection of Auburn or the Auburn family. It is strictly a professional decision. It’s about growing as a coach and, hopefully, one day becoming a head coach.

“Auburn has played a pivotal role in my professional and personal life. Words can't express how grateful I am to the Auburn family and all of the incredible people who are part of that wonderful community. I will forever be indebted to the opportunities that Auburn gave me.”

Craig, Auburn’s co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach, will coach wide receivers LSU, where he was a graduate assistant on Nick Saban’s staff in 2004.

"Dameyune is a quarterback by nature so he’s going to be a tremendous asset to us in all phases of the passing game,” Miles said in the release. “He coached a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback at Florida State and developed some outstanding receivers at Auburn. He comes to us with great coaching credentials as well as being a proven recruiter. We look forward to the contributions that he’s going to bring to our football program.”

After three seasons at Florida State, Craig joined Gus Malzahn’s first Auburn staff in January of 2013 and helped the Tigers win the SEC championship and fall barely short against Florida State in the BCS Championship Game.

Craig said at the time that the lure of coaching at his alma mater was too strong to ignore.

"The day it happened, I think I had over 100 text messages, guys I hadn't heard from in a long time congratulating me," Craig said. "I didn't realize it was that big a deal as far as former teammates congratulating me and fans and people all across the nation. It was heartwarming. You feel that. People make you feel so welcome here. It's about the people. That was overwhelming. It made me feel good, and I'm excited about it."

Despite those feelings, Craig has decided to move on. He made the decision just more than a week after leading the way in landing one of the nation’s top classes of wide receivers.

Craig is No. 5 all-time at Auburn in career passing yards with 6,026. In 1997, he passed for 3,277 yards, still a school record, and led the Tigers to the SEC Championship Game.

Craig’s stunning decision to leave his alma mater and make a lateral move to another SEC West program will spark conversation and perhaps even controversy. With spring practice set to begin on March 1, Malzahn will be under pressure to move quickly to hire a replacement.

Since the end of the 2015 season, Malzahn’s has lost five of nine assistant coaches. Defensive coordinator Will Muschamp was named head coach at South Carolina, and defensive assistants Travaris Robinson and Lance Thompson went with him. Offensive line coach J.B. Grimes left for Cincinnati.

Gus Malzahn has lost my confidence. The man, honorable as he may be, loyal as he may be, is no longer leading this team with the team coming first. He is going to sink or swim with Rhett lashlee and unfortunately it's sinking quick fast and in a hurry. He is an anchor dragging this team down. His play calling is suspect, his recruiting is suspect, his development is suspect. I will never quit on my university and I will never quit on this team, but Gustav Malzahn will not be our head coach next year and this move is the proverbial nail in the coffin.

Got an extra $17,000,000 to buy his contract ? We're married to him.

Archived