Craig a candidate for lsu WR coach (update: Done Deal)

WarDamnEagleWDE

This is dumb. I'm not the biggest fan of Rhett, but outside of Sammy, our wide receivers have been suspect at best. None of them were developed. For what it's worth, DC would not have had a successful quarterback last season. He can coach a quarterback to throw the football, but it's hard to coach a grown man not to be scared of contact.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize I am probably about to get slammed but I am not sure why this is a huge issue. Remember back December 2012 - January 2013, how hard did Gus have to work to convince DC to come to AU to begin with. How many times did DC tell Gus no and Gus kept going back because he wanted an AU man on campus with him. Since then how have things progressed? DC is an amazing recruiter probably one of the best on the SEC if not the country but what about his on field coaching? Can anyone sit there and say that the receivers have been the best coached group on the field? The receivers were was the second biggest problem on the field last year outside of QB. Now granted I am not sure Lashlee can handle the OC/QB job but to sit there and honestly say he should be fired and DC promoted is absurd. DC has shown me nothing on the field coaching to prove he is anymore capable that Lashlee at developing players. The receivers have not progressed at all since he came to AU. In fact you could argue that they have regressed and are not as well coached as they were in 2012.

I am not a football coach at any level and never have been. So my experience level is purely anecdotal but I have been in retail management for the last 20 years and one of the biggest lessons I learned in hiring and managing my employees is that if someone wants to leave you do not throw the sink at them to get them to stay. The first time an employee walks into your office and says if you do not do this or if you do not pay me that I am going to quit you let them. They are eventually going to leave anyway so go ahead and rip the band aid off and let them go. The moment you start giving into their demands and letting the employees set policies and pay levels you lose all control over your business and lose all credibility with your other employees. Just my observation from managing people not sure if that translates to how to manage a coaching staff but it works really well managing other types of staffs. Also it should have some relevance since the trend now is to bring in athletic directors with business backgrounds instead of football backgrounds.

Oh one other note since it was brought up by someone else earlier in the thread the Governor of Louisiana did state it is possible that LSU football could be cancelled next year. The state budget impacts all state run institutions regardless if the athletic dept makes a lot of money or not.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14764642/louisiana-gov-john-bel-edwards-threatens-future-lsu-tigers-football-tax-proposals-passed

If Gus doesn't do anything to keep Dameyune on the staff, then Malzahn's hotseat becomes 1000 times hotter.

No, losing assistants doesn't do that. Losing ball games does. Let's wait and see how well we play next season to see if DC is a necessity.

DC is one of the most valuable pieces in our program. I hope we threw literally everything we could out there to keep him if he is indeed gone

I agree, but we will never know. This is just disheartening. By all standards.

I'm told Gus did nothing to keep DC from lsu. Nothing. And this guy would know.

I realize I am probably about to get slammed but I am not sure why this is a huge issue. Remember back December 2012 - January 2013, how hard did Gus have to work to convince DC to come to AU to begin with. How many times did DC tell Gus no and Gus kept going back because he wanted an AU man on campus with him. Since then how have things progressed? DC is an amazing recruiter probably one of the best on the SEC if not the country but what about his on field coaching? Can anyone sit there and say that the receivers have been the best coached group on the field? The receivers were was the second biggest problem on the field last year outside of QB. Now granted I am not sure Lashlee can handle the OC/QB job but to sit there and honestly say he should be fired and DC promoted is absurd. DC has shown me nothing on the field coaching to prove he is anymore capable that Lashlee at developing players. The receivers have not progressed at all since he came to AU. In fact you could argue that they have regressed and are not as well coached as they were in 2012.

I am not a football coach at any level and never have been. So my experience level is purely anecdotal but I have been in retail management for the last 20 years and one of the biggest lessons I learned in hiring and managing my employees is that if someone wants to leave you do not throw the sink at them to get them to stay. The first time an employee walks into your office and says if you do not do this or if you do not pay me that I am going to quit you let them. They are eventually going to leave anyway so go ahead and rip the band aid off and let them go. The moment you start giving into their demands and letting the employees set policies and pay levels you lose all control over your business and lose all credibility with your other employees. Just my observation from managing people not sure if that translates to how to manage a coaching staff but it works really well managing other types of staffs. Also it should have some relevance since the trend now is to bring in athletic directors with business backgrounds instead of football backgrounds.

Oh one other note since it was brought up by someone else earlier in the thread the Governor of Louisiana did state it is possible that LSU football could be cancelled next year. The state budget impacts all state run institutions regardless if the athletic dept makes a lot of money or not.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14764642/louisiana-gov-john-bel-edwards-threatens-future-lsu-tigers-football-tax-proposals-passed

Ok so what did Rhett show you?

No offense 4life but your post shows how little some of you know about AU football and college football programs in general. What DC did for AU football can't be replaced. And screw Gus for letting his ego get into the way again. Gus has put himself on an island by himself now with some of the power brokers at AU.

Chiz 2.0 all again.

DC was the WR coach last season. If we could catch a cold last year we would've won another couple games, and SW would be the favorite to be QB this season. I'm not a Rhett supporter, but judging our HC's fate because we lose a position coach is premature.

No offense 4life but your post shows how little some of you know about AU football and college football programs in general. What DC did for AU football can't be replaced. And screw Gus for letting his ego get into the way again. Gus has put himself on an island by himself now with some of the power brokers at AU.

Chiz 2.0 all again.

This sucks!!!

http://espn.go.com/c...roposals-passed

Chiz 2.0 all again.

Highlighted the same portion that I heard before the season even ended...

PM just said Craig probably to LSU before days end and Gus didn't try to counter him to stay. He said expect a replacement named quick.

I'm told the same about Gus not doing anything to keep DC.

Im reading where the issue wasn't between Lashlee and Craig, but Craig and Malzahn because Malzahn isn't letting the offense postion coaches coach their guys.

PM just said Craig probably to LSU before days end and Gus didn't try to counter him to stay. He said expect a replacement named quick.

So what were DC's demands that Gus did not attempt to meet?

if it is DC vs RL then lets take a look at a couple of things

1: Recruiting - have to give the edge to DC

2: Coaching Ability: Neutral (haven't seen it out of either of them)

3: Off the field: Don't know about either one in the office space (insiders please help on this one)

4: Relating to the players: Probably have to give this to CDC

5: Loving AU: CDC Hands down

That is what the categories that I have when I think about this so I would have to go with DC unless he is a problem in the coaches meetings which I don't know. I haven't seen any recruiting ability our or RL to make it worth keeping him. His play calling has been bad so I am not sure why we are keeping him either.

I believe I said in my post that I was not sure Lashlee could handle the job. I do not see this as keep one or the other issue. If DC wants to leave let him leave. If you through everything you can at him to stay what happens next year when he wants more? Where does it end? Outside of his recruiting abilities which are great I just do not see where giving DC the sun and moon is worth it. For those calling for DC to be OC/QB coach what qualifications does he have that makes you believe he would be better at the job than Lashlee? He coached Winston but it probably wasn't really hard to coach a guy as talented as Winston. Lashlee coached Nick and he was great as an AU QB, probably one of the best AU QBs ever. I just don't see how anyone can honestly look at the two on field coaching resumes and say DC would be any better coaching than Lashlee. Neither have done well in my opinion with on field coaching so why the uproar to fire one just so you can keep the other. If anything based on their groups on field performance both should be fired.

Arky game is the only game we can reasonably say more catches we win, and it took some crazy catches on bad throws to be in position to win that game as well so imo that balances out. Not to mention there were plenty of times they were open and they were missed by both qb's.....by the way who was the qb coach?

Ok I am officially on the fire Gus wagon. He has accomplished nothing in my book. He got luck with NM in 2013 other wis he has been mostly crap. Not sure he wasn't the major problem during CGC's time either . We need to start sending the board members our thoughts that it is time to can Gus. WDE

Im reading where the issue wasn't between Lashlee and Craig, but Craig and Malzahn because Malzahn isn't letting the offense postion coaches coach their guys.

If this is true then Gus needs to fire the entire offensive staff or at least slash their salaries so that his impending buyout will be more affordable.

I believe I said in my post that I was not sure Lashlee could handle the job. I do not see this as keep one or the other issue. If DC wants to leave let him leave. If you through everything you can at him to stay what happens next year when he wants more? Where does it end? Outside of his recruiting abilities which are great I just do not see where giving DC the sun and moon is worth it. For those calling for DC to be OC/QB coach what qualifications does he have that makes you believe he would be better at the job than Lashlee? He coached Winston but it probably wasn't really hard to coach a guy as talented as Winston. Lashlee coached Nick and he was great as an AU QB, probably one of the best AU QBs ever. I just don't see how anyone can honestly look at the two on field coaching resumes and say DC would be any better coaching than Lashlee. Neither have done well in my opinion with on field coaching so why the uproar to fire one just so you can keep the other. If anything based on their groups on field performance both should be fired.

Well let's just go off what you say....both on field coaching is lacking check.

One is a top 5 recruiter.....The other does nothing as far as recruiting.....where's the confusion?

Oh and he coached ponder and Manuel as well as far as qb's

Do you think Nick Saban would hire Rhett Lashlee to be his OC/QB coach? shoot no. Saban is smarter then that. Gus should have named him OC/QB coach after watching his "boy", Lashlee's work with Johnson and White go up in flames during this past season.

Archived