Craig a candidate for lsu WR coach (update: Done Deal)

WarDamnEagleWDE

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope it's just rumors. I can't see a reason on earth to allow DC to go to LSU. None.

Me, too. If he leaves and it's a lateral move that would be enough said.

I realize I am probably about to get slammed but I am not sure why this is a huge issue. Remember back December 2012 - January 2013, how hard did Gus have to work to convince DC to come to AU to begin with. How many times did DC tell Gus no and Gus kept going back because he wanted an AU man on campus with him. Since then how have things progressed? DC is an amazing recruiter probably one of the best on the SEC if not the country but what about his on field coaching? Can anyone sit there and say that the receivers have been the best coached group on the field? The receivers were was the second biggest problem on the field last year outside of QB. Now granted I am not sure Lashlee can handle the OC/QB job but to sit there and honestly say he should be fired and DC promoted is absurd. DC has shown me nothing on the field coaching to prove he is anymore capable that Lashlee at developing players. The receivers have not progressed at all since he came to AU. In fact you could argue that they have regressed and are not as well coached as they were in 2012.

I am not a football coach at any level and never have been. So my experience level is purely anecdotal but I have been in retail management for the last 20 years and one of the biggest lessons I learned in hiring and managing my employees is that if someone wants to leave you do not throw the sink at them to get them to stay. The first time an employee walks into your office and says if you do not do this or if you do not pay me that I am going to quit you let them. They are eventually going to leave anyway so go ahead and rip the band aid off and let them go. The moment you start giving into their demands and letting the employees set policies and pay levels you lose all control over your business and lose all credibility with your other employees. Just my observation from managing people not sure if that translates to how to manage a coaching staff but it works really well managing other types of staffs. Also it should have some relevance since the trend now is to bring in athletic directors with business backgrounds instead of football backgrounds.

Oh one other note since it was brought up by someone else earlier in the thread the Governor of Louisiana did state it is possible that LSU football could be cancelled next year. The state budget impacts all state run institutions regardless if the athletic dept makes a lot of money or not.

http://espn.go.com/c...roposals-passed

No offense 4life but your post shows how little some of you know about AU football and college football programs in general. What DC did for AU football can't be replaced. And screw Gus for letting his ego get into the way again. Gus has put himself on an island by himself now with some of the power brokers at AU.

Chiz 2.0 all again.

No offense taken. However with all due respect, and remember I am saying with all due respect here, your arrogance with thinking that you know more than others because they do not agree with you is the problem with some AU fans. I do agree that what DC did for AU football on the field as a player cannot be replaced, but this is not 1997 and just because what he did on the field as a player cannot be replaced does not mean you sell the farm to keep him on the coaching staff. Because honestly he can be replaced on the coaching staff. He is a top level recruiter no doubt but he is a C level coach, or at least the product the receivers have been putting on the field the last three years is C level. There was not a receiver on the 2015 team that progressed and was any better than they were in 2014. Hell the receivers cost AU the Arkansas game all on their own.

Wasn't the wr play good the two years before that? You're hedging your stats to back up your claims

I would argue that the receiver play was not good before that. You had Sammy making some big time plays then dropping some passes. Outside of Coates and the little Duke contributed what other receiver could you say developed over the last three years? Did Ricardo get better while he was at AU? He had one awesome catch but would you say he progressed? Tony Stevens was a really good recruit he was supposed to have a break out season this year. Did he? Marcus Davis was better as a true freshman than he has been since. I am not hedging my bets I just cannot think of one receiver who has gotten better or progressed over the last three years. Can you? Point out some progression for me? Please if I am missing some quantifiable hard evidence to prove that DC has the receivers playing better in year three than in year one please show me the evidence.

Not sure it's fair to blame CDC for the WR performance. He's leaving precisely because he can't -- isn't allowed -- to coach the way he wants.

Why do you say that he is leaving because they will not let him coach receivers like he wants? That seems silly to me. I go back to the fact that coaching receivers is the same as the line in that you focus on drills, routes, feet, etc.... Nothing groundbreaking in how to coach a position just some are better getting across their message. CDC came to AU knowing that he was not the OC so what changed. In football, the HC has to have someone he feels can finish his sentences and Rhett has been that for Gus and will continue to be that. I am not saying I think Rhett is a great coach or should be the OC but anyone that thought he was going to be pushed aside was kidding himself.

Well, I said not let him coach the way he wants, as opposed to not let him coach the receivers the way he wants. I am just putting two and two together. Obviously, CDC is miffed about something, or he wouldn't be looking into a lateral move to a division rival. And, actually, CDC came to AU as co-offensive coordinator, so I don't think it makes sense to suggest he thought he'd have no input in the offense beyond working on receivers' feet and hands.

I realize I am probably about to get slammed but I am not sure why this is a huge issue. Remember back December 2012 - January 2013, how hard did Gus have to work to convince DC to come to AU to begin with. How many times did DC tell Gus no and Gus kept going back because he wanted an AU man on campus with him. Since then how have things progressed? DC is an amazing recruiter probably one of the best on the SEC if not the country but what about his on field coaching? Can anyone sit there and say that the receivers have been the best coached group on the field? The receivers were was the second biggest problem on the field last year outside of QB. Now granted I am not sure Lashlee can handle the OC/QB job but to sit there and honestly say he should be fired and DC promoted is absurd. DC has shown me nothing on the field coaching to prove he is anymore capable that Lashlee at developing players. The receivers have not progressed at all since he came to AU. In fact you could argue that they have regressed and are not as well coached as they were in 2012.

I am not a football coach at any level and never have been. So my experience level is purely anecdotal but I have been in retail management for the last 20 years and one of the biggest lessons I learned in hiring and managing my employees is that if someone wants to leave you do not throw the sink at them to get them to stay. The first time an employee walks into your office and says if you do not do this or if you do not pay me that I am going to quit you let them. They are eventually going to leave anyway so go ahead and rip the band aid off and let them go. The moment you start giving into their demands and letting the employees set policies and pay levels you lose all control over your business and lose all credibility with your other employees. Just my observation from managing people not sure if that translates to how to manage a coaching staff but it works really well managing other types of staffs. Also it should have some relevance since the trend now is to bring in athletic directors with business backgrounds instead of football backgrounds.

Oh one other note since it was brought up by someone else earlier in the thread the Governor of Louisiana did state it is possible that LSU football could be cancelled next year. The state budget impacts all state run institutions regardless if the athletic dept makes a lot of money or not.

No offense 4life but your post shows how little some of you know about AU football and college football programs in general. What DC did for AU football can't be replaced. And screw Gus for letting his ego get into the way again. Gus has put himself on an island by himself now with some of the power brokers at AU.

Chiz 2.0 all again.

No offense taken. However with all due respect, and remember I am saying with all due respect here, your arrogance with thinking that you know more than others because they do not agree with you is the problem with some AU fans. I do agree that what DC did for AU football on the field as a player cannot be replaced, but this is not 1997 and just because what he did on the field as a player cannot be replaced does not mean you sell the farm to keep him on the coaching staff. Because honestly he can be replaced on the coaching staff. He is a top level recruiter no doubt but he is a C level coach, or at least the product the receivers have been putting on the field the last three years is C level. There was not a receiver on the 2015 team that progressed and was any better than they were in 2014. Hell the receivers cost AU the Arkansas game all on their own.

Wasn't the wr play good the two years before that? You're hedging your stats to back up your claims

I would argue that the receiver play was not good before that. You had Sammy making some big time plays then dropping some passes. Outside of Coates and the little Duke contributed what other receiver could you say developed over the last three years? Did Ricardo get better while he was at AU? He had one awesome catch but would you say he progressed? Tony Stevens was a really good recruit he was supposed to have a break out season this year. Did he? Marcus Davis was better as a true freshman than he has been since. I am not hedging my bets I just cannot think of one receiver who has gotten better or progressed over the last three years. Can you? Point out some progression for me? Please if I am missing some quantifiable hard evidence to prove that DC has the receivers playing better in year three than in year one please show me the evidence.

Not sure it's fair to blame CDC for the WR performance. He's leaving precisely because he can't -- isn't allowed -- to coach the way he wants.

Why do you say that he is leaving because they will not let him coach receivers like he wants? That seems silly to me. I go back to the fact that coaching receivers is the same as the line in that you focus on drills, routes, feet, etc.... Nothing groundbreaking in how to coach a position just some are better getting across their message. CDC came to AU knowing that he was not the OC so what changed. In football, the HC has to have someone he feels can finish his sentences and Rhett has been that for Gus and will continue to be that. I am not saying I think Rhett is a great coach or should be the OC but anyone that thought he was going to be pushed aside was kidding himself.

Well, I said not let him coach the way he wants, as opposed to not let him coach the receivers the way he wants. I am just putting two and two together. Obviously, CDC is miffed about something, or he wouldn't be looking into a lateral move to a division rival. And, actually, CDC came to AU as co-offensive coordinator, so I don't think it makes sense to suggest he thought he'd have no input in the offense beyond working on receivers' feet and hands.

i do not disagree with you but this is how I see it. and did not believe anything would change this offseason. Gus is gonna be the OC. When he is away Rhett is his mouthpiece as I think Rhett is his protege. Based on that alone Rhett was not getting replaced, kind of like having your son on staff. Hopefully they all had input on the game plan as well as the support staff, but ultimately Gus's calls the plays. Don't you think that is the same from when CDC was hired so why now the discontent?

What in the hell is going on in the AU football program? Is Craig going to be slammed like T Rob was for leaving AU for another position? Maybe assistant coaches aren't the problem here?

They aren't.

I see you don't like Gus...but what parameters were used by DC.... Maybe Lashlee is not up to speed or as good as a coach etc, my question is did DC make demands that RL leave or else he would leave? What steps did he use? I get his alleged frustration just wanna know how it may have went down from an hierarchy standpoint.

Chiz 2.0 all again.

i do not disagree with you but this is how I see it. and did not believe anything would change this offseason. Gus is gonna be the OC. When he is away Rhett is his mouthpiece as I think Rhett is his protege. Based on that alone Rhett was not getting replaced, kind of like having your son on staff. Hopefully they all had input on the game plan as well as the support staff, but ultimately Gus's calls the plays. Don't you think that is the same from when CDC was hired so why now the discontent?

I think I'd get pretty tired of feeling limited, and that it would get worse with time, and especially when what's happening isn't working (like last season). If I thought I could do better, but wasn't allowed to, that would be frustrating.

Chiz 2.0 all again.

I agree....I admire DC - but the on field coaching has been very subpar. Hopefully he did not make demands that Rhett go or he leaves....that is a very poor way of doing things IMO...and wonder what many here would do in the same situation

Picking CRL over a AU legend in CDC is just a damn sorry ass move on Gus. And to an SEC west rival. I'm pretty much in with the done with Gus crowd.

I'm with WDE on this. I rarely am on the fire coach bandwagon but this does it for me. I'm all about being loyal but not when it affects the big picture and oh my will this hurt AU in a major way. Gus has picked Rhett who is a glorified graduate assistant at best of a top 5 recruiter in the country. Why? What has Rhett brought to the table? Why not give Craig more power with the offense...can't get any worse. Without Craig we not only don't get the WRs we got but some other recruits as well. Rhett brings NOTHING to the table for AU and recruits off of Gus's name and offense. Then to top it off he can't develop a QB. If he's going to keep Rhett then just give Craig more power over the offense. Fans wouldn't know as we're not in weekly game plan meetings. I don't blame Craig if he leaves. After a great recruiting class this is a huge let down...HUGE!

Well, I see season tickets dropping big time this year. I'm certainly not buying. For anyone who calls me fair weathered, be honest, can you blame people for not wanting to invest a large amount of money and time to watch a poor product? I'm just saying, people have better things to do.

So who deserves to coach quarterbacks, a former SEC quarterback who has waited his turn, alum who held Auburn records and killer recruiter OR Gus's former high school quarterback who was a backup qb to a running qb in.college who has not shown he can coach the position,kills our offensive rhythm and we had our worst year at qb as Gus s go to guy

/?

wow....really guys.... this upsets you?????????????????????

Why not 2-8 vs UGA

Why not getting killed by bama

Getting killed by LSU

becoming a floor mat for Ole Miss and Miss State....

looks like crap two years ago in bowl vs Wisky with a retired coach...

struggle with Jac State.....as well as other lowly teams.

Barber to turns pro.....

Duke kicked off team.....

remember Nick Marshall...who got worse under this system in second year.....

what the heck...guess you guys are picking your battles..... but if you are just now getting fouled up over our HC welcome.

guy at the airport turned out to be a genius....

We need a proven winner....

not chizik or Gus..

minus Cam and Nick we are 0-10 vs UGA and others.

and now we can't beat Arky....

priorit

Well, I see season tickets dropping big time this year. I'm certainly not buying. For anyone who calls me fair weathered, be honest, can you blame people for not wanting to invest a large amount of money and time to watch a poor product? I'm just saying, people have better things to do.

I say you are wise.... donations are $112 per ticket and last year had games in $100 range...buy a new TV every game and after we lose you have something to show for it at least.

wow....really guys.... this upsets you?????????????????????

Why not 2-8 vs UGA

Why not getting killed by bama

Getting killed by LSU

becoming a floor mat for Ole Miss and Miss State....

looks like crap two years ago in bowl vs Wisky with a retired coach...

struggle with Jac State.....as well as other lowly teams.

Barber to turns pro.....

Duke kicked off team.....

remember Nick Marshall...who got worse under this system in second year.....

what the heck...guess you guys are picking your battles..... but if you are just now getting fouled up over our HC welcome.

guy at the airport turned out to be a genius....

We need a proven winner....

not chizik or Gus..

minus Cam and Nick we are 0-10 vs UGA and others.

and now we can't beat Arky....

priorit

Time to send the plane to Houston

Expectation was Lashlee leaving for another school. He interviewed but no offers. After NSD with no offers for Lashlee Gus decides to keep status quo. Craig is upset for various reasons and decides to leave. Gus by not pleading with him to stay actually thinks that is best for the program. If Craig leaves Gus will hire someone he trusts.

Expectation was Lashlee leaving for another school. He interviewed but no offers. After NSD with no offers for Lashlee Gus decides to keep status quo. Craig is upset for various reasons and decides to leave. Gus by not pleading with him to stay actually thinks that is best for the program. If Craig leaves Gus will hire someone he trusts.

I actually think this is pretty close to right -- which explains why most folks are upset about CDC leaving.

I actually think this is pretty close to right -- which explains why most folks are upset about CDC leaving.

I asked previously but no one has answered yet. Exactly what was Gus supposed to do to get DC to stay?

when your overpaid, there are not a lot of real opportunities available.

How is CDC choosing a lateral move to LSU for the same position (WR coach) he has at Auburn equivalent to Gus choosing RL over DC?

I think Miles is offering CDC the opportunity to more involved with LSU's offense. That would make me leave. It's no secret CDC wants to be an OC. After this season Gus should've given him more power to contribute to the offense. CDC is certainly deserving of that. We all know Les is a big gambler and even though CDC will not be named OC i'm willing to be Les is offering him the chance to make a significant impact on their offense.

I asked previously but no one has answered yet. Exactly what was Gus supposed to do to get DC to stay?

That is what I want to know....I love DC..love his recruiting ability and his pedigree as a player, etc. He left FSU and they continued to recruit just fine...it may be frustrating but it will be ok...settle down guys

Archived