Craig a candidate for lsu WR coach (update: Done Deal)

WarDamnEagleWDE

Picking CRL over a AU legend in CDC is just a damn sorry ass move on Gus. And to an SEC west rival. I'm pretty much in with the done with Gus crowd.

Worst move ever! Disgusting and stupid! Gus putting personal crap before the good of the team and school. Just like CTT. You give these guys huge buyouts and suddenly they don't give a damn about making the best/right decision.

You could probably offer lsu $10M and rl and they'd pay for DC instead.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think Nick Saban would hire Rhett Lashlee to be his OC/QB coach? shoot no. Saban is smarter then that. Gus should have named him OC/QB coach after watching his "boy", Lashlee's work with Johnson and White go up in flames during this past season.

If Saban could get away with just direct snapping to a running back every play he would lol

I realize I am probably about to get slammed but I am not sure why this is a huge issue. Remember back December 2012 - January 2013, how hard did Gus have to work to convince DC to come to AU to begin with. How many times did DC tell Gus no and Gus kept going back because he wanted an AU man on campus with him. Since then how have things progressed? DC is an amazing recruiter probably one of the best on the SEC if not the country but what about his on field coaching? Can anyone sit there and say that the receivers have been the best coached group on the field? The receivers were was the second biggest problem on the field last year outside of QB. Now granted I am not sure Lashlee can handle the OC/QB job but to sit there and honestly say he should be fired and DC promoted is absurd. DC has shown me nothing on the field coaching to prove he is anymore capable that Lashlee at developing players. The receivers have not progressed at all since he came to AU. In fact you could argue that they have regressed and are not as well coached as they were in 2012.

I am not a football coach at any level and never have been. So my experience level is purely anecdotal but I have been in retail management for the last 20 years and one of the biggest lessons I learned in hiring and managing my employees is that if someone wants to leave you do not throw the sink at them to get them to stay. The first time an employee walks into your office and says if you do not do this or if you do not pay me that I am going to quit you let them. They are eventually going to leave anyway so go ahead and rip the band aid off and let them go. The moment you start giving into their demands and letting the employees set policies and pay levels you lose all control over your business and lose all credibility with your other employees. Just my observation from managing people not sure if that translates to how to manage a coaching staff but it works really well managing other types of staffs. Also it should have some relevance since the trend now is to bring in athletic directors with business backgrounds instead of football backgrounds.

Oh one other note since it was brought up by someone else earlier in the thread the Governor of Louisiana did state it is possible that LSU football could be cancelled next year. The state budget impacts all state run institutions regardless if the athletic dept makes a lot of money or not.

http://espn.go.com/c...roposals-passed

No offense 4life but your post shows how little some of you know about AU football and college football programs in general. What DC did for AU football can't be replaced. And screw Gus for letting his ego get into the way again. Gus has put himself on an island by himself now with some of the power brokers at AU.

Chiz 2.0 all again.

No offense taken. However with all due respect, and remember I am saying with all due respect here, your arrogance with thinking that you know more than others because they do not agree with you is the problem with some AU fans. I do agree that what DC did for AU football on the field as a player cannot be replaced, but this is not 1997 and just because what he did on the field as a player cannot be replaced does not mean you sell the farm to keep him on the coaching staff. Because honestly he can be replaced on the coaching staff. He is a top level recruiter no doubt but he is a C level coach, or at least the product the receivers have been putting on the field the last three years is C level. There was not a receiver on the 2015 team that progressed and was any better than they were in 2014. Hell the receivers cost AU the Arkansas game all on their own.

Remember how bad we played against (1AA) Jacksonville State and how we went to OT to beat JSU 27-20 at Jordan-Hare on TV. That was just the start of how our offense under Gus and Rhett would be through out the 2015 season. And yes, it got a lot worse as the season went on.

I realize I am probably about to get slammed but I am not sure why this is a huge issue. Remember back December 2012 - January 2013, how hard did Gus have to work to convince DC to come to AU to begin with. How many times did DC tell Gus no and Gus kept going back because he wanted an AU man on campus with him. Since then how have things progressed? DC is an amazing recruiter probably one of the best on the SEC if not the country but what about his on field coaching? Can anyone sit there and say that the receivers have been the best coached group on the field? The receivers were was the second biggest problem on the field last year outside of QB. Now granted I am not sure Lashlee can handle the OC/QB job but to sit there and honestly say he should be fired and DC promoted is absurd. DC has shown me nothing on the field coaching to prove he is anymore capable that Lashlee at developing players. The receivers have not progressed at all since he came to AU. In fact you could argue that they have regressed and are not as well coached as they were in 2012.

I am not a football coach at any level and never have been. So my experience level is purely anecdotal but I have been in retail management for the last 20 years and one of the biggest lessons I learned in hiring and managing my employees is that if someone wants to leave you do not throw the sink at them to get them to stay. The first time an employee walks into your office and says if you do not do this or if you do not pay me that I am going to quit you let them. They are eventually going to leave anyway so go ahead and rip the band aid off and let them go. The moment you start giving into their demands and letting the employees set policies and pay levels you lose all control over your business and lose all credibility with your other employees. Just my observation from managing people not sure if that translates to how to manage a coaching staff but it works really well managing other types of staffs. Also it should have some relevance since the trend now is to bring in athletic directors with business backgrounds instead of football backgrounds.

Oh one other note since it was brought up by someone else earlier in the thread the Governor of Louisiana did state it is possible that LSU football could be cancelled next year. The state budget impacts all state run institutions regardless if the athletic dept makes a lot of money or not.

No offense 4life but your post shows how little some of you know about AU football and college football programs in general. What DC did for AU football can't be replaced. And screw Gus for letting his ego get into the way again. Gus has put himself on an island by himself now with some of the power brokers at AU.

Chiz 2.0 all again.

No offense taken. However with all due respect, and remember I am saying with all due respect here, your arrogance with thinking that you know more than others because they do not agree with you is the problem with some AU fans. I do agree that what DC did for AU football on the field as a player cannot be replaced, but this is not 1997 and just because what he did on the field as a player cannot be replaced does not mean you sell the farm to keep him on the coaching staff. Because honestly he can be replaced on the coaching staff. He is a top level recruiter no doubt but he is a C level coach, or at least the product the receivers have been putting on the field the last three years is C level. There was not a receiver on the 2015 team that progressed and was any better than they were in 2014. Hell the receivers cost AU the Arkansas game all on their own.

Wasn't the wr play good the two years before that? You're hedging your stats to back up your claims

Chiz 2.0 all again.

Yes, and this move makes Gus much less likely to get a good replacement for DC. They know Gus' seat will be scaldingly hot now. No one he gets will be anywhere near DC in recruiting.

Not to mention DC and the fellas were just getting their feet solidly planted in recruiting.

So if/when we next have a good season, how do we prevent this type of meltdown from happening again? By not giving buyouts? And will JJ FINALLY be shown the door this time?

So if/when we next have a good season, how do we prevent this type of meltdown from happening again? By not giving buyouts? And will JJ FINALLY be shown the door this time?

How about a buyout based strictly on performance?

Chiz 2.0 all again.

Wasn't the wr play good the two years before that? You're hedging your stats to back up your claims

I would argue that the receiver play was not good before that. You had Sammy making some big time plays then dropping some passes. Outside of Coates and the little Duke contributed what other receiver could you say developed over the last three years? Did Ricardo get better while he was at AU? He had one awesome catch but would you say he progressed? Tony Stevens was a really good recruit he was supposed to have a break out season this year. Did he? Marcus Davis was better as a true freshman than he has been since. I am not hedging my bets I just cannot think of one receiver who has gotten better or progressed over the last three years. Can you? Point out some progression for me? Please if I am missing some quantifiable hard evidence to prove that DC has the receivers playing better in year three than in year one please show me the evidence.

Let him call plays, it sure isn't going to hurt our offense.

Might as well see what he can do.

I don't want to have to recruit against that guy next year.

This is not going to be good

Chiz 2.0 all again.

I would argue that the receiver play was not good before that. You had Sammy making some big time plays then dropping some passes. Outside of Coates and the little Duke contributed what other receiver could you say developed over the last three years? Did Ricardo get better while he was at AU? He had one awesome catch but would you say he progressed? Tony Stevens was a really good recruit he was supposed to have a break out season this year. Did he? Marcus Davis was better as a true freshman than he has been since. I am not hedging my bets I just cannot think of one receiver who has gotten better or progressed over the last three years. Can you? Point out some progression for me? Please if I am missing some quantifiable hard evidence to prove that DC has the receivers playing better in year three than in year one please show me the evidence.

Not sure it's fair to blame CDC for the WR performance. He's leaving precisely because he can't -- isn't allowed -- to coach the way he wants.

Kiss Mobile goodbye. Craig will take our lunch money in that talent-rich area. HUGE mistake by Gus. I can't imagine what he is thinking.

No seeing many of those "in Gus we trust" comments today...guess those folks are at the softball game

How about a buyout based strictly on performance?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

i still love auburn and always will.some of you fair weather fans need to take a look in the mirror.quit being a bunch of pansies and love auburn for auburn and not one head coach. dye said when the going gets tough the tough get going. no one can predict what is going to happen this coming season. and i have no idea if rhett is decent or not but he has put in for a few jobs so he tried right? maybe spring will let a few things settle....hopefully.,

I also may get slapped around for this view, but I can't see that there's some kind of rift here or some unhappiness on DC's part that might get him to go to LSU (might! we all know how these coaching rumors work out). I can't believe he would have worked so hard & so well recruiting for us, recruiting that wide receiver class for us, if there was a rift. If he did recruit those guys while knowing he was unhappy & looking to get out, then I would lose some respect for him. It would mean he was telling them 1 thing while thinking & feeling something else. I don't know DC personally, but everything I've ever heard about him is solid, first class. So, until proven otherwise, I'm not going to believe that of him. Maybe LSU has made him some kind of offer that he feels he can't turn down (more $ or more responsibility or something). Or maybe these are just rumors, like all those defensive coordinators we were going to get, none of whom was Kevin Steele.

I hope it's just rumors. I can't see a reason on earth to allow DC to go to LSU. None.

I Googled LSU to read if there was anymore developments in their financial problems, and this came up. I nearly fainted. I didn't even realize this was a possibility. If Jay Jacobs has ever needed to "step in" or whatever this is the time.

Feel bad for Nate Craig Myers, Kyle Davis, Eli Stove and M. McLain. Could be our greatest WR class ever. Dameyune was obviously the main reason they chose AU and he bolts 5 minutes after they sign.

T Rob and now DC gone. Our best recruiters by far. Both lateral moves. I really hope Gus knows what he's doing.....

Chiz 2.0 all again.

Not sure it's fair to blame CDC for the WR performance. He's leaving precisely because he can't -- isn't allowed -- to coach the way he wants.

Why do you say that he is leaving because they will not let him coach receivers like he wants? That seems silly to me. I go back to the fact that coaching receivers is the same as the line in that you focus on drills, routes, feet, etc.... Nothing groundbreaking in how to coach a position just some are better getting across their message. CDC came to AU knowing that he was not the OC so what changed. In football, the HC has to have someone he feels can finish his sentences and Rhett has been that for Gus and will continue to be that. I am not saying I think Rhett is a great coach or should be the OC but anyone that thought he was going to be pushed aside was kidding himself.

Archived