2016 Spring Practice - Day 8

RunInRed

So White passes for over 250 yards in each of his 3rd, 4th, and 5th ever starts, and he seems rattled?

And I recall a game tying drive in the final minute of regulation against Arkansas.

SW is a fantastic QB. If we were running an offense where the RBs could shoulder the rushing attack and we threw the ball half of the time, I think he'd win the job. Unfortunately for him, he's in an offense that is predicated on the rushing attack, and as was shown this year, the rushing attack (the way it is currently run) cannot be shouldered by just the RBs.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our qb's are this, one was hyped up and not as good as people made him out to be, the other was average slightly above maybe, and he's over hyped to what he put out. Both have alot to live up to.

Oh and LMAO that SW weakness is his wr suck....wouldn't the other qb's need their wr's to be effective as well? Gotta love it

How many SEC schools would SW or JJ start at?

I think SW would start at several. The other guy, hmmm, let me get back to you.

Vandy, Florida if that other guy isn't playing. South C. I don't know about the schools that's bringing in new qb's because I don't know what they have coming out of their systems. So that's a list from last year

How many SEC schools would SW or JJ start at?

I think SW would start at several. The other guy, hmmm, let me get back to you.

But he's barely beating out the guy you have to get back to....and that's going off assumption he's ahead right now

I agree. If our O looked like the 2009 O with Todd, SW would be lights out.

I think the offense in 2009 was the type of offense Malzahn originally made his offense to be. I loved that offense. Seeing Eric smith come out of the pile to make big plays in the receiving game was beautiful. It wasn't until Cam that when evolving to fit Cam's strengths, also may have spoiled CGM line of thinking in a way. It does seem like he has lost sight a little on how to mold the offense around the SW or Chris Todd type of passer again. A Cam style of offense got us a NC and NM got us oh so close to another, so it makes sense to try to continue what works best. Last year's offense was not tailored to SW, but it wasn't supposed to be. Changing mid season caused more problems in that we had Zero identity the entire year. The Texas AM game was just a game plan executed to perfection to squeeze out that bowl eligible win.

^^Not guaranteed, but possibly:

Arky, Florida, MSU, Mizzou, USCe, Vandy

White was better than both those quarterbacks at UGA last year as well.

AND they still beat us. Ridiculous

Our qb's are this, one was hyped up and not as good as people made him out to be, the other was average slightly above maybe, and he's over hyped to what he put out. Both have alot to live up to.

Oh and LMAO that SW weakness is his wr suck....wouldn't the other qb's need their wr's to be effective as well? Gotta love it

Did you watch the Arky game? There were many passes dropped that would have led to scoring. Also he got hurt in that game so his throwing was off because he couldn't plant after that game. But he was on the mark in throwing in that game except for a couple of passes. Since it was his first year in starting...He did a great job. The receivers last year weren't that great. Also blocking with freshmen early on wasn't that great also...

Yes I saw that one game. I also saw the games before that and after....it was JJ's first year starting as well, and it's no excuse for him either. Plenty of qb's have been productive their first year of starting. As far as I guess every pass after SW was hurt that was bad was because he couldn't plant his leg.....ok you go ahead and believe that.

Both qb's need to get better, SW played better than JJ, SW also didn't go against tough teams and to say SW don't have weakness but his wr and to somehow make pretend that if the wr were a weakness it's just for SW but not any other qb's is laughable

You're right about the blocking, SW actually got to come in after they got some games under their belt, he was actually fortunate, the Kentucky game was our o line best game, coincidentally it was his best game as well.

I feel like almost every team White would start on, Jeremy would also start on. Especially due to the fact that at least half the teams in the SEC this year probably have the same receiving talent and offensive lines very comparable to the one we fielded last year (the situation that got Sean bruised and battered after all).

SW has not had a good spring. Time will tell. Hell none of the QB's are having a good spring. But hey it's only spring ball. No worries. Gus has this.

As for the QB's going live. The D was so basic that the QB's really didn't get much pressure. Hope Gus will do a real scrimmage before spring ball is over and put the QB's threw a real football game situation. The QB's really need this. All of this is just "IMO".

Given the description of the scrimmage (mostly running and base defense), it seems like going live was primarily to see how Franklin's ball handling would hold up under added pressure. It certainly wasn't meant to test Johnson's mental toughness under a stiff rush.

Based on the feedback and comments here it does not look good for the QB position thus far..hopefully some separation occurs over the next few practices. All have their positives/negatives but I would like to see who has the leadership and confidence to take charge of the offense.

SW has not had a good spring. Time will tell. Hell none of the QB's are having a good spring. But hey it's only spring ball. No worries. Gus has this.

As for the QB's going live. The D was so basic that the QB's really didn't get much pressure. Hope Gus will do a real scrimmage before spring ball is over and put the QB's threw a real football game situation. The QB's really need this. All of this is just "IMO".

LORD YES

I don't care how good a QB is when he's got a non-contact jersey on. If he can't translate that to game situations, having him in a non-contact jersey does nothing but hurt. You hear it over and over again in sports - Practice like you Play. Last time I checked, QB's could still be hit (though that seems like it's going away) and defenses didn't have to be basic.

So how long do you think it will take to name a starting QB (No I was not expecting one to be named now)..... At the start of Fall camp or do y'all think this will go all the way up until the kick off with Cousin Clem?

That's not really what I've heard. I've heard both JJ and SW were blitz early to test composure under duress. The best part I heard was no interceptions. There were some fumbles, but no INTs.

Honestly, I don't understand why so many QBs we have fall flat on their face. I think of all the other teams in our division that get adequate QB play, and am mystified as to why it takes Superman falling in our laps to have even passable QB play. I mean, what were the odds that we would have ANOTHER Kiehl Frazier-style implosion?

AU's offensive system leans heavily on the QB position. Other teams in our division can get by with "adequate" QB play and beat their opponent because they are strong in other areas and are able to take the pressure off the QB. If AU can ever find a way to keep a defensive staff in place long enough to see them field even a mediocre SEC defense, it will alleviate the pressure on the offense. If AU can get stellar line play on both sides of the ball in the same season, it will make all skill players more productive. In the meantime, it is what it is and AU/Gus will pass or fail with it.

I will lose my mind if JF3 is catching slants from the slot for sure.

Mainly because we have run maybe 5 slant patterns the past 3 years LOL

True!

Archived