2016 Spring Practice - Day 8

RunInRed

So White passes for over 250 yards in each of his 3rd, 4th, and 5th ever starts, and he seems rattled?

And I recall a game tying drive in the final minute of regulation against Arkansas.

SW is a fantastic QB. If we were running an offense where the RBs could shoulder the rushing attack and we threw the ball half of the time, I think he'd win the job. Unfortunately for him, he's in an offense that is predicated on the rushing attack, and as was shown this year, the rushing attack (the way it is currently run) cannot be shouldered by just the RBs.

100% agree. I want JF3 but i don't get why some are so critical of SW. It's more of the offense vs. SW IMO. If he's put in the right position i really do think we can win a lot of games with him as the starter. I don't lack confidence in SW...my worry is the guy or people calling the plays for him that make me concerned.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SW has not had a good spring. Time will tell. Hell none of the QB's are having a good spring. But hey it's only spring ball. No worries. Gus has this.

As for the QB's going live. The D was so basic that the QB's really didn't get much pressure. Hope Gus will do a real scrimmage before spring ball is over and put the QB's threw a real football game situation. The QB's really need this. All of this is just "IMO".

If this is the case as far as light contact....that sucks. I know we're trying to prevent injury but i want these QBs going live as much as possible.

I think all this non-contact business could actually lead to injuries, because a QB does not how to make people miss, how to react when they are hit, how to minimize the impacts, etc.... IMO

I think all this non-contact business could actually lead to injuries, because a QB does not how to make people miss, how to react when they are hit, how to minimize the impacts, etc.... IMO

What? They are football players in the freaking SEC. If they don't know how to take a hit or avoid one, then they shouldn't be wasting a scholarship. Furthermore, they have some huge offensive linemen who's sole responsibility is to minimize the impacts to their QB.

What? They are football players in the freaking SEC. If they don't know how to take a hit or avoid one, then they shouldn't be wasting a scholarship. Furthermore, they have some huge offensive linemen who's sole responsibility is to minimize the impacts to their QB.

There's a difference between knowing how to do something and actually being able to do it under duress though. For example, I know how to calculate the convective heat transfer of a flat plane with turbulent airflow over it. Doesn't mean that I can do it on an exam.

So White passes for over 250 yards in each of his 3rd, 4th, and 5th ever starts, and he seems rattled?

And I recall a game tying drive in the final minute of regulation against Arkansas.

SW is a fantastic QB. If we were running an offense where the RBs could shoulder the rushing attack and we threw the ball half of the time, I think he'd win the job. Unfortunately for him, he's in an offense that is predicated on the rushing attack, and as was shown this year, the rushing attack (the way it is currently run) cannot be shouldered by just the RBs.

I honestly think whether Sean starts or not is not only on him mastering the offense, but also on Kodi and the receivers. If Kodi can get his new stable of receivers running crisp routes and coming down with the tough catches, Sean might be our guy. I honestly think, unless he bulks up and upgrades his passing, if we go with Franklin, it's a sign that we have issues elsewhere.

These QBs need to be full contact in every scrimmage. If they get injured, then they get injured, but we can't have any more situations where our QBs go into a real game and go into panic mode. We need some tough QBs to lead this team.

So how long do you think it will take to name a starting QB (No I was not expecting one to be named now)..... At the start of Fall camp or do y'all think this will go all the way up until the kick off with Cousin Clem?

August 20th

Gus will keep the starter to himself until a couple of weeks before Clemson imo

Doesn't want the starter getting too comfortable but wants them to be used to being the starter too

Doesn't want the starter getting too comfortable but wants them to be used to being the starter too

If I were a coach and had no clear #1 at QB, I wouldn't name a starter till game day. Even if I knew who the #1 QB was.

If I were a coach and had no clear #1 at QB, I wouldn't name a starter till game day. Even if I knew who the #1 QB was.

That strategy has been used occasionally, but is really because the HC doesn't know. And he'll continue to spread the reps out.

Typically, IF a HC knows who his #1 is in Fall practice, he will name him the starter ASAP for two primary reasons...confidence and reps.

Impossible to keep it (your #1 QB getting all the 1st Team reps) a secret until Game 1, even in closed practices, not in this era of social media.

How many SEC schools would SW or JJ start at?

I think SW would start at several. The other guy, hmmm, let me get back to you.

But he's barely beating out the guy you have to get back to....and that's going off assumption he's ahead right now

Relax, it's Spring Training Camp.

As far as the other guy is concerned, you can't argue with the results thus far. They speak for themselves.

But he's barely beating out the guy you have to get back to....and that's going off assumption he's ahead right now

As far as the other guy is concerned, you can't argue with the results thus far. They speak for themselves.

Look at EVERYBODY's results and they speak for themselves, you just make excuses for one guy and not the other. And I'm not even talking about spring camp, it's common sense, if SW was so far ahead, and so much better why is it he haven't been able to separate himself ever as the best??? Is Gus showing favoritism? Does Gus not want to win?

Cole is right. Gus knows his job is always dependent on winning (not saying he has to win X number of games) so he will definitely play the players he feels gives him the best shot. We have to trust his judgement because he knows a lot more about the whole picture than any message board expert. Listening to him right now I believe he is still trying hard to find those people. Sometimes he knows who but feels like he needs to get more effort out of them, so he creates compitition even though he knows who he wants. WDE

Look at EVERYBODY's results and they speak for themselves, you just make excuses for one guy and not the other. And I'm not even talking about spring camp, it's common sense, if SW was so far ahead, and so much better why is it he haven't been able to separate himself ever as the best??? Is Gus showing favoritism? Does Gus not want to win?

Sorry pal, the jury is in. Re read the OP's question if you're having trouble following along.

Will things change this season? Maybe. Maybe not. However, you would do best to practice what you preach:

Sean White with the first team today?! There's no way (it's only spring practice)

I don't know why people make who is at qb during spring a big deal, apparently it's a close battle so people should expect to see every qb with the first team at some time. How else would Gus make a decision without seeing each qb live against the first team?

Sorry pal, the jury is in. Re read the OP's question if you're having trouble following along.

Will things change this season? Maybe. Maybe not. However, you would do best to practice what you preach:

Sean White with the first team today?! There's no way (it's only spring practice)

I don't know why people make who is at qb during spring a big deal, apparently it's a close battle so people should expect to see every qb with the first team at some time. How else would Gus make a decision without seeing each qb live against the first team?

LMAO this is a spring update thread...since I'm so slow and you're on it you tell me what the question was...and how an i not practicing what I preach?

No need to get hostile and mad because I didn't say say SW was the greatest and I don't refer to the other qb's by name because they are so horrible lol. I apologize for saying nobody has stood out as a leader, don't beat me up here SW is the best qb in the SEC now those other guys shouldn't play football....there now we can be friends!

Cole u think JF3 starts? Or u think SW lives up to the message board hype? Not saying he sucks but he's not top half of the SEC QB either... JJ still has more talent. He will never likely put it all together, but it's there. If were gonna win more than 8, y'all all better pray JF3 is ready. He is our only chance to win 9+

With as much build up as JF3 had (coming from AU fans) as being a NM type... If he doesn't win the job and JJ or SW competes and earns the starting role do you think Gus's seat will get a little warmer? I know that sounds odd, but it is just really interesting how this all could play out.

I can't say I know who starts, the one thing I can say I do know is all of them are lumped together right now and none have shown to be heads above the other no matter what the fan club of either side says

I can't say I know who starts, the one thing I can say I do know is all of them are lumped together right now and none have shown to be heads above the other no matter what the fan club of either side says

Correct. Everyone is struggling this spring so far. That said, those touting JF3 as the only way to a successful season are just wrong.

Correct. Everyone is struggling this spring so far. That said, those touting JF3 as the only way to a successful season are just wrong.

Yep sad to say

Archived