2016 Spring Practice - Day 8

RunInRed

Ellitor,, JF3 was promised a chance not the job. I don't think that Gus or Rhett was sold that he would win it. With what went down last year and TQ coming off a surgery and Woody not getting here till Fall, it made good sense to get a insurance policy, especially if it had a rider for a change of pace Wildcat QB. Remember Gus likes to have a wildcat unless his starter (see Cam or Nick) has that ability also. I think what most are overlooking is that NM and Cam were bigger and stronger and better passers than JF3. As I have said earlier I don't see JF3 as a starter. As a backup and a wildcat maybe. Remember coaches don't always say all they know. They may not lie but they also may not include some information. JMHO. WDE

obama-facepalm-meme-generator-bruh-you-can-t-be-serious-right-now-62d934.jpg

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You all are going to lose your minds when JF3 lines up in the slot to catch slants come September 3rd.

Maybe he'll return the opening kickoff for a TD and all this QB talk will be forgotten.

Personally, I think the QB race is wide open, just as the coaches have been saying. Each QB has upsides and downsides.

Jeremy Johnson: Size and talent are not the problem. Decision making is his problem. If Jeremy can overcome the mental aspects. he is the prototypical elite QB. His arm strength, size, and accuracy are what made him a preseason All American and in the talk about Heisman potential.

Sean White: Sean White's ability is all about his accuracy. In High School, he was one of the most accurate QBs I have seen out of HS ranks. His HS did not have reliable receivers or he would have held numerous records. A little smaller than most QBs, but not overly challenged in that area.

Sean's winning of the 7 on 7s was a testament to his ability to put the ball where he wanted it. We saw flashes of that accuracy last year before his injury. In order for Sean to win the job this year, he MUST have the support staff he needs. Sean cannot win this competition unless our receivers are able to run their routes effectively and can actually catch the ball. Sean is not going to beat teams with his legs but with his accuracy. He has to have receivers to be successful, period.

John Franklin III: Franklin is small for an SEC QB. That is a source for concern when big Linebackers and D-Linemen hit you several times during a game. It becomes even more of a concern, when you consider that the largest upside to JF III is his speed and elusiveness which he has in spades. I have heard reports that he is not as accurate as Sean or JJ, but he has speed to burn. A true dual threat QB which as we all know works extremely well in CGM's system. AU's recent success at being an elite SEC team were all due to dual threat QBs like the once in a lifetime Cam Newton and Nick Marshall.

Which one of these QBs become the starter is going to depend upon a lot of different factors. Can JJ actually learn how to manage the game and look off his primary targets? Will Sean White have the receivers he needs to be successful? Will JF III be able to gain 10-15 lbs and still keep his speed and become more accurate in his passing game?

In short, who wins the starting job is about individual talent and ability, but it also about the supporting staff. With the receivers we brought in for the 2016 class, if this were next year, I would have to give Sean White the edge, all other things being equal. However, these elite receivers are all freshmen. The question the coaches have are which QB should we go with considering the rest of the team's abilities, strengths, and consistency?

Personally, I think the QB race is wide open, just as the coaches have been saying. Each QB has upsides and downsides.

Jeremy Johnson: Size and talent are not the problem. Decision making is his problem. If Jeremy can overcome the mental aspects. he is the prototypical elite QB. His arm strength, size, and accuracy are what made him a preseason All American and in the talk about Heisman potential.

Sean White: Sean White's ability is all about his accuracy. In High School, he was one of the most accurate QBs I have seen out of HS ranks. His HS did not have reliable receivers or he would have held numerous records. A little smaller than most QBs, but not overly challenged in that area.

Sean's winning of the 7 on 7s was a testament to his ability to put the ball where he wanted it. We saw flashes of that accuracy last year before his injury. In order for Sean to win the job this year, he MUST have the support staff he needs. Sean cannot win this competition unless our receivers are able to run their routes effectively and can actually catch the ball. Sean is not going to beat teams with his legs but with his accuracy. He has to have receivers to be successful, period.

John Franklin III: Franklin is small for an SEC QB. That is a source for concern when big Linebackers and D-Linemen hit you several times during a game. It becomes even more of a concern, when you consider that the largest upside to JF III is his speed and elusiveness which he has in spades. I have heard reports that he is not as accurate as Sean or JJ, but he has speed to burn. A true dual threat QB which as we all know works extremely well in CGM's system. AU's recent success at being an elite SEC team were all due to dual threat QBs like the once in a lifetime Cam Newton and Nick Marshall.

Which one of these QBs become the starter is going to depend upon a lot of different factors. Can JJ actually learn how to manage the game and look off his primary targets? Will Sean White have the receivers he needs to be successful? Will JF III be able to gain 10-15 lbs and still keep his speed and become more accurate in his passing game?

In short, who wins the starting job is about individual talent and ability, but it also about the supporting staff. With the receivers we brought in for the 2016 class, if this were next year, I would have to give Sean White the edge, all other things being equal. However, these elite receivers are all freshmen. The question the coaches have are which QB should we go with considering the rest of the team's abilities, strengths, and consistency?

Very fine analysis! :thumbsup:

Very fine analysis! :thumbsup:

Agree, probably makes more sense than anything I've read.

I remember what Gus did with a lightning fast QB who had marginal accuracy but could throw it far. I'd sign up for that in a heart beat.

Unless SW is now laser-accurate, I mean like if he's elevated his game to "this kid's arm talent will not be denied by the NFL" type of play, I am most excited about the idea of JF3 being the QB at this very moment. It's easy for me to be excited when I haven't seen him play a real down yet though.

I like the idea of a QB being able to turn a busted 3rd and 6 when nobody is open into a first down. So while I'm not pulling for JF3, I prefer for somebody of his skillset to be the QB. If his comprehensive skill set not as good as the other guys' skillsets he shouldn't play even if he can run.

I've kind of given up on the idea that JJ will figure it out at this point, if he wins the job and does well (which is possible -- we saw Ben Leard have similarly terrible play in his first year starting and he turned it around quite nicely) then that will be great. The good thing now is, while his mistakes last season were not ones that you could fix in between games, you can certainly fix them in an offseason.

However if we are going to deal with freshman mistakes from these guys...we should just roll with Woody out there. I know there is no way Gus will do that as he can't afford to make the long play right now but if Gus had the luxury of time I'd see the value of going with the FR if the other guys are playing like FR.

^My sentiments exactly. Remember in the Birmingham Bowl (i think it was our first drive of the second half), there was a short-yardage situation and White got stuffed? The commentators were talking about how effective NM was in those situations. I think if nothing else we'll be a lot better at those short-yardage situations this year.

Funny how Cam was so close to losing the job to Trotter, or how Marshall won the job... Y'all are all stupid if y'all believe that crap! jF3 is #1 until he loses it. Marshall was #1 and Cam was #1 from day one on campus!

Jf3 may start, but Cam and Nick came in much better positioned.

^Certainly Cam did. If JF3 isn't as "well positioned" as a guy who came in just before fall camp, after arriving before spring practice, then we're in deep trouble. Ill say it again, Gus's job depends on JF3.

Ill say it again, Gus's job depends on JF3.

No, Gus's job depends on winning games which doesn't necessarily include starting a backup JUCO QB.

I may be looking at the situation in an incorrect way but, I think the quality of our OL will also have a lot of bearing on who our QB will be.

Even the best coaches sometimes lose site of the fact that, "the best guy" is often a conditional statement.

Jovon being invited to the podium today shows me that CGM trusts him. Good sign. I really think Roc is our RB that's going to be catching a lot of passes.

I really hope so. He's so dangerous in space.

IMO I don't believe CGM even knows who will be his starting QB against Clemson at this point. I think he has to give every QB a fair shake to get a realistic evaluation of where each one is physically and mentally. Having each one going live with the 1's at some point gives them all the same opportunity. I think CGM learned from last year that he needs to battle test and evaluate his QB's more thoroughly before giving them the keys to the offense.

Agree which concerns me even more b/c time is a huge factor with playing Clemson our first game. However, that's just the position we're in so Gus and company will have to make the best decision they can at QB. It started with going live so i really hope the defense came after all of the QBs strong.

You all are going to lose your minds when JF3 lines up in the slot to catch slants come September 3rd.

lol. I know i will if that happens. Even if he doesn't win the job i still want him as a back up QB. I'm not campaigning as hard as some clearly are for JF3 at this point but I'm hoping he does have a realistic shot at starting. I'm just still skeptical when it comes to JJ and i don't have a ton of faith we'll utilize SW to his potential regarding planning a good passing attack. With SW it's more about the coaches for me. I actually thought SW would be leading at this point and be the starter for the Clemson game giving JF3 more time to settle in. If we can quickly pinpoint our OL starters i really think SW could win us a lot of games IF we can manage to have a good gameplan.

Heck who knows but just my initial feelings at this point but it seems as for now JJ is ahead of SW. JF3 just provides something that coaches can't coach...instinct and ability to make things happen when nothing appears to be there. Hard for defenses to account for. For example, look at Lamar Jackson with Louisville. His passing is nothing to write home about which is why they struggled early but as the season went on he got better and better. I guess that's what really has me hoping he can be efficient enough as a passer to win the job. As many have said...this is going to be a long race so i'm just curious to see as time goes on how practices/ scrimmages will be handled with the QBs.

I will lose my mind if JF3 is catching slants from the slot for sure.

Mainly because we have run maybe 5 slant patterns the past 3 years LOL

Honestly, I don't understand why so many QBs we have fall flat on their face. I think of all the other teams in our division that get adequate QB play, and am mystified as to why it takes Superman falling in our laps to have even passable QB play. I mean, what were the odds that we would have ANOTHER Kiehl Frazier-style implosion?

Honestly, I don't understand why so many QBs we have fall flat on their face. I think of all the other teams in our division that get adequate QB play, and am mystified as to why it takes Superman falling in our laps to have even passable QB play. I mean, what were the odds that we would have ANOTHER Kiehl Frazier-style implosion?

Texas A&M has had several star QBs fall on their face. Most LSU fans have paid good money for a better QB the last couple of years, and have suffered other QB debacles in the past. South Carolina would gladly upgrade most years. How about Florida with Driskell? Also, think back to how many teams have changed QBs 2-3 games into the season before finding their guy.

The only two teams I can think of who seem to never have QB issues are Georgia and bama. Georgia mainly makes up for average QB play because of a power running game. bama makes up for it with defense.

And, as I've said before, Kiehl didn't implode. His skill didn't translate as well as many had hoped, but mostly, he spend 2012 running for his life because he had NO protection. I wouldn't be surprised at all, had Marshall not come along, that Kiehl would have started in 2013 and, with Robinson, Prosch, and Mason, we would have probably won 10 games... maybe more.

Also, had we not had 2 QBs hurt we would have had beyond passable QB play for more than half of last season.

^The examples you listed above are correct, however Knight scares me. Harris who knows. I do think FL takes a step back unless they have another stud newcomer. I dare say they were playing just as bad as us after they beat Georgia.

JF3 will start... Make it down... JJ maybe should be a TE if he can block and catch. We will never see the JJ we saw half of Arky game... He lost it between the ears... There is a lot of good practice QB's but not many good game day QB's... Maybe JJ gets it back, I'm not gonna lose all faith I guess... SW seems to lack somthing and I just can't put my finger on it... He seems rattled a lot maybe... JF3 is 100% expected to start tomorrow. He may take 2-3 games to get in a groove. But that's what Gus will take a chance on. And Marshall was not wanted by so many teams as a QB either... JF3 is way ahead of Marshall at this point, NM wasn't even on campus yet.

So White passes for over 250 yards in each of his 3rd, 4th, and 5th ever starts, and he seems rattled?

And I recall a game tying drive in the final minute of regulation against Arkansas.

How many have fell flat on their face? One...book still

open on the other one...

No I'm just saying he seemed to be missing something idk what

capable receivers...

And I fixed your verb tense..

How many have fell flat on their face? One...book still

open on the other one...

Oh, there has been more than one and his point is not that far off the mark.

Archived