2017 4* QB Kellen Mond (aTm commit 6/27/16)

ellitor

I agree and have been told that JF3 definitely gives us a higher win ceiling total than White or Johnson. I actually think some on here don't realize just how explosive he is. The zone read threat alone will open up so many wide open passing lanes that he won't have to be as accurate as say SW will be throwing the football. Also like Bird said Lowell would have been an unbelievable fit for this offense. Mond is also a good fit though and a much more polished passer from what I have been told.

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LSU has 2 of the Elite 11.... I wonder how that will play with Narcissi's final decision (although I assume he knew that when he committed to LSU)

It won't. The 3* pocket QB committed before LN & he already knew LSU was taking 2 QBs before he committed there.

I agree and have been told that JF3 definitely gives us a higher win ceiling total than White or Johnson. I actually think some on here don't realize just how explosive he is. The zone read threat alone will open up so many wide open passing lanes that he won't have to be as accurate as say SW will be throwing the football. Also like Bird said Lowell would have been an unbelievable fit for this offense. Mond is also a good fit though and a much more polished passer from what I have been told.

True he won't have to be as accurate as Sean but he will have to be more accurate in Spring practice to hit open WRs no matter how open they are.

Just watched mond's highlights. I dont feel as strongly as most of you fo about his ability. I think his highlights show him hitting a reciever in stride maybe twice. Other than that its all underthrown. fortunately for him, it seems like his recievers are all open enough for it to not matter but no way does that level of accuracy fly in college.

I only watched 3 minutes, and he didn't under throw a single pass. Your analysis doesn't hold water.

Then maybe our definition of an underthrow varies. When they have to stop running or slow down to a stutter step to stay under it, id call it an underthrow. Lets say he has an sec CB anywhere in the area, those passes are getting knocked down 9 times out of 10. His recievers do a good job of getting free. Thats likely hardly to his credit

I just didn't see that. Looked like good passes to me. 2ETO

Not much said about KM at E11 today. Def outshined by others including Martell, Fromm, and Narcisse.

Not sure where you are looking but 247 has free coverage & said very nice things about Mond.

Top Performers Link

5. Kellen Mond

Recent Baylor decommit Kellen Mond was sharp throwing the ball from start to finish. The Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy standout really excelled at changing speeds on the ball depending on the route. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound prospect does a great job coming over the top and having a high release on his passes, which will help him avoid batted balls. Mond, who is considering Auburn, Ohio State and Texas A&M, was another that looked good throwing on the move as well.

They also have Narcisse behind Mond at #8 after day 1. Link and Martell was #10 Link. Fromm did not make the top performers list. Link

Other Mon positives

Link

Recent Baylor decommit Kellen Mond with a nice high release. Another that is spinning it well now that we are in position drills.

Link

Some QBs letting it rip on all throws. Kellen Mond, however, is throwing catchable balls. Nice touch on his passes.

Was a Scout article, so prob should have noted that caveat! :)

Not much said about KM at E11 today. Def outshined by others including Martell, Fromm, and Narcisse.

Not sure where you are looking but 247 has free coverage & said very nice things about Mond.

Top Performers Link

5. Kellen Mond

Recent Baylor decommit Kellen Mond was sharp throwing the ball from start to finish. The Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy standout really excelled at changing speeds on the ball depending on the route. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound prospect does a great job coming over the top and having a high release on his passes, which will help him avoid batted balls. Mond, who is considering Auburn, Ohio State and Texas A&M, was another that looked good throwing on the move as well.

They also have Narcisse behind Mond at #8 after day 1. Link and Martell was #10 Link. Fromm did not make the top performers list. Link

Other Mon positives

Link

Recent Baylor decommit Kellen Mond with a nice high release. Another that is spinning it well now that we are in position drills.

Link

Some QBs letting it rip on all throws. Kellen Mond, however, is throwing catchable balls. Nice touch on his passes.

Was a Scout article, so prob should have noted that caveat! :)

No worries.

^We desperately need him and/or Barrett on campus by next summer!

Why do you say that? Are you going to give up on Mond and/or Barrett as quickly as you've given up on White, Queen ad JF3? Not one of those three has been in college ball long enough for us to know what they may be capable of. Becoming an SEC QB takes time!

Give up on White so quickly, no. The rest, yes. Queen won't ever be healthy enough to be a force and JF3 will be a WR. Even though you didn't mention JJ, yes, I have given up on him too. The only reason why I haven't given up on SW yet is because I still have a small, but fading glimmer of hope that SW will be a great QB. Like a whim, it was born from his signing and it has only survived because of his three game stretch of over 250+ yards passing against some horrible defenses.

This except the JF3 comments

Do you really think JF3 will become a capable SEC passer this year? I hope you're right. NM seemed to have a better arm even though both were about the same in QB development. Without the live arm, I don't know that NM would have played.

I don't know but as far as the competition he has to be our qb, he's too close in talent to the other qb's to send him off to the wr's

Not throwing wise going into Summer. He will have to improve a lot throwing wise to be QB 1 in the Fall. Also w/ Roc gone JF3 could end up being the most explosive slot if moved there.

That's what you and many feel, that's fine. I've heard that while he needs to work him not being able to throw is exaggerated on this board. But yes he needs to improve but so do the other qbs. SW is noted for his accuracy, but he wasn't that accurate in the spring.

Also just because a guy is fast doesn't mean he's skilled enough to play. If he can't catch he has no business being in the slot. If he doesn't know the intangibles of playing hb he doesn't need to be there either

Seems like you've heard what I have

Why do you say that? Are you going to give up on Mond and/or Barrett as quickly as you've given up on White, Queen ad JF3? Not one of those three has been in college ball long enough for us to know what they may be capable of. Becoming an SEC QB takes time!

Give up on White so quickly, no. The rest, yes. Queen won't ever be healthy enough to be a force and JF3 will be a WR. Even though you didn't mention JJ, yes, I have given up on him too. The only reason why I haven't given up on SW yet is because I still have a small, but fading glimmer of hope that SW will be a great QB. Like a whim, it was born from his signing and it has only survived because of his three game stretch of over 250+ yards passing against some horrible defenses.

Do you really think JF3 will become a capable SEC passer this year? I hope you're right. NM seemed to have a better arm even though both were about the same in QB development. Without the live arm, I don't know that NM would have played.

I don't know but as far as the competition he has to be our qb, he's too close in talent to the other qb's to send him off to the wr's

Not throwing wise going into Summer. He will have to improve a lot throwing wise to be QB 1 in the Fall. Also w/ Roc gone JF3 could end up being the most explosive slot if moved there.

That's what you and many feel, that's fine. I've heard that while he needs to work him not being able to throw is exaggerated on this board. But yes he needs to improve but so do the other qbs. SW is noted for his accuracy, but he wasn't that accurate in the spring.

Also just because a guy is fast doesn't mean he's skilled enough to play. If he can't catch he has no business being in the slot. If he doesn't know the intangibles of playing hb he doesn't need to be there either

Paragraph 1. Most people connected with the program have been told JF3 would have to improve a lot this Summer to be QB1 & that Sean would be QB1 if the season started today. Of those connected we have 4 or 5 on this board. I have no clue if it'as an exaggeration but the same thing is being said on all AU boards.

Paragraph.2. You're righ he has to catch but given he spent at least half his career at FSU at WR instead of QB one would think he can catch at least some.

Also if Jimbo can't develop JF3 into a servicaable passing QB I'm not sure Gus & Rhett can.

Top Performers Link

5. Kellen Mond

Other Mon positives

Link

Link

Was a Scout article, so prob should have noted that caveat! :)/>

They also mentioned he wants to commit by the end of the month

Paragraph 1. Most people connected with the program have been told JF3 would have to improve a lot this Summer to be QB1 & that Sean would be QB1 if the season started today. Of those connected we have 4 or 5 on this board. I have no clue if it'as an exaggeration but the same thing is being said on all AU boards.

Paragraph.2. You're righ he has to catch but given he spent at least half his career at FSU at WR instead of QB one would think he can catch at least some.

Also if Jimbo can't develop JF3 into a servicaable passing QB I'm not sure Gus & Rhett can.

Well I'm connected so I told you what I heard. So once again you can go off what you heard, I'm telling you what I heard and I guess we'll see. And yes if we started then sw would be the qb, Gus held off naming him that for a reason

I disagree that he spent half his career at wr but you can also look at it as since he spent half his career at qb he can throw

Jimbo runs a pro style offense, Gus does not. What jimbo needs from a qb is completely different than what Gus needs

It can also be argued that since he spent time at WR and is now at QB ... Maybe he wasn't a very good WR and should stay at QB

That's possible & let me clarrify I have not heard any plans to move him from QB, especially given lack of quality QB depth. Just saying he has the physical tools to be an explosive slot if he is not QB 1. And if he doesn't win QB 1 I have no problems w/ him having a speed option QB package.

Told ya... Missing a few passes is worth 3 more wins this season. I've always said SW can win us 8 games maybe more but if JF3 can make us a 10+ win team then it's the chance we take. Weather he can pass well or not.

^What exactly did we see this spring to get us excited at the QB position? Honest question. If we have a bad year at QB, who are we going to turn to for improvement the next season? Are we stuck with bad QB play then, too?

Told ya... Missing a few passes is worth 3 more wins this season. I've always said SW can win us 8 games maybe more but if JF3 can make us a 10+ win team then it's the chance we take. Weather he can pass well or not.

In Sean's defense he is limited some because the staff does not fully believe in him enough to completely coach to his strengths.

Also as I've said before there is no reason we should not win 8 games with meh QB play. Sean is better than meh. Given his dynamics JF3 may indeed have the higher ceiling. But he also MAY have the lower floor due to turnovers. That's something only coaches & people at practice will know.

Regardlees of personal preferences anyone may have there is 1 thing we know is highly likely about Gus. Gus will play whoever turnsover the ball least no matter if another QB has a higher ceiling.

^What exactly did we see this spring to get us excited at the QB position? Honest question. If we have a bad year at QB, who are we going to turn to for improvement the next season? Are we stuck with bad QB play then, too?

Any answer to this needs to be taken to the football forum. This is a Kellen Mond thread & let's keep it that way.

Here's a thread where y'all can talk current QBs.

I am being told basically the same as what Cole is saying. Also JF3 has not been as bad as many are saying passing the ball. He has not been as good as Sean passing obviously but like I said he fits the offense perfect and his ceiling is higher. Once again he will not have to be as accurate because defenders will have to acct for his running ability at all times leaving passing lanes open. The last thing ill say for now on this is yes SW would be the starter if season started today, the season doesn't start today though.

In Sean's defense he is limited some because the staff does not fully believe in him enough to completely coach to his strengths.

Also as I've said before there is no reason we should not win 8 games with meh QB play. Sean is better than meh. Given his dynamics JF3 may indeed have the higher ceiling. But he also MAY have the lower floor due to turnovers. That's something only coaches & people at practice will know.

Regardlees of personal preferences anyone may have there is 1 thing we know is highly likely about Gus. Gus will play whoever turnsover the ball least no matter if another QB has a higher ceiling.

I don't believe the staff don't believe in him that is a load of BS IMO. If he is the better QB he will have full support of the staff. He has more tallent than Todd did and Gus sure put a lot of faith and trust in him. Whoever has the best fall will have full support of the staff.

Archived