2017 4* QB Kellen Mond (aTm commit 6/27/16)

ellitor

So with the word being that Art Briles is out at Baylor, what happens here? Obviously I assume it improves our chances, but to what degree?

Per BM about a minute ago.........

He is Auburn's top target and it's certainly a big plus for the Tigers in Mond's recruitment. I would, however, caution not to make any assumptions considering the track record of this staff's quarterback recruiting. There's still a long way to go.

Just as important IMO is tOSU is the other team involved. Martell PLEASE pick tOSU.

Funny thing in BMatt's post is how much he & JLee disagrees.Bmatt pointing to poor recruiting JLee saying recruiting has been good using ratings to back up his opinion. I'm on the development side of the debate myself since Gus has never developed a QB he got from high school.

Not sure we know enough about Gus to make much of a judgment since he has bounced around so much he's not had more than a year or two with the same guy and for the most part has coached players that other coaches brought in.

I guess JJ and SW are the only HS QBs that Gus has had from the start.....so maybe we will know more about his ability to develop QBs in another year....but looking around, I guess you can say that most SEC coaches can't develop their own QBs since they seem to be shopping around for JUCOs or transfers as frequently as we do.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Does Khiel Frazier ring a bell? Yes Gus was not here his whole time but he was a very highly rated QB Gus brought it that did not develop. I understand KF was a freshman in this example I'm about to make but isn't it strange & eerily familiar KF had the same deer in headlights look JJ had last year.

True...but I am not sure that. a coach can teach composure.....which seems to be an innate thing... :dunno:

It can be taught, preferrably by a sports psychologist, but it can be done.

Of course it can...don't know of any cases in football where it has worked for a QB but perhaps you do. BUT....I expect in college when a kid does not seem to "get it" on the field pretty quickly, the more common response is to move on to the next guy.

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So with the word being that Art Briles is out at Baylor, what happens here? Obviously I assume it improves our chances, but to what degree?

He is Auburn's top target and it's certainly a big plus for the Tigers in Mond's recruitment. I would, however, caution not to make any assumptions considering the track record of this staff's quarterback recruiting. There's still a long way to go.

Just as important IMO is tOSU is the other team involved. Martell PLEASE pick tOSU.

Funny thing in BMatt's post is how much he & JLee disagrees.Bmatt pointing to poor recruiting JLee saying recruiting has been good using ratings to back up his opinion. I'm on the development side of the debate myself since Gus has never developed a QB he got from high school.

Not sure we know enough about Gus to make much of a judgment since he has bounced around so much he's not had more than a year or two with the same guy and for the most part has coached players that other coaches brought in.

I guess JJ and SW are the only HS QBs that Gus has had from the start.....so maybe we will know more about his ability to develop QBs in another year....but looking around, I guess you can say that most SEC coaches can't develop their own QBs since they seem to be shopping around for JUCOs or transfers as frequently as we do.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Does Khiel Frazier ring a bell? Yes Gus was not here his whole time but he was a very highly rated QB Gus brought it that did not develop. I understand KF was a freshman in this example I'm about to make but isn't it strange & eerily familiar KF had the same deer in headlights look JJ had last year.

True...but I am not sure that. a coach can teach composure.....which seems to be an innate thing... :dunno:

It can be taught, preferrably by a sports psychologist, but it can be done.

Of course it can...don't know of any cases in football where it has worked for a QB but perhaps you do. BUT....I expect in college when a kid does not seem to "get it" on the field pretty quickly, the more common response is to move on to the next guy.

Given all the staff turnover and & issues he had to Deal w/ Jason Campbell had composure issues at various times before his Sr year because he got to a point where he did not believe in himself. I know this because I had classes w/ him. He looked totally dejected at one point.

We hired Borgis, they clicked, the team clicked, & the rest was history composure wise.

Another thing that could throw a monkey wrench into this is is if Baylor hires Tom Herman away from Houston given his record w/ explosive offenses.

Another thing that could throw a monkey wrench into this is is if Baylor hires Tom Herman away from Houston given his record w/ explosive offenses.

I need Tom Herman to hang around Houston for at least one more year.

I am not sure any competent coach will set foot in Baylor for a while.

Do you think we would actually bring in a proven HC...uh...assuming we would need to soon?

Do you think we would actually bring in a proven HC...uh...assuming we would need to soon?

I'd be excited to have him if that uh,,,,,, situation was to unfortunately arrive.

Back to Mond this is Keith's quick take. You'll want to watch.

Sweet! If we got Mond it would be a huge get

Baylor couldn't convince Herman to take that job short of offering him the 6M it was paying Briles. They're about to be dealing with a new president (who will likely fire the AD), an interim coach who is likely to get canned in a year, Title IX lawsuits (plural), federal investigations, self-imposed NCAA sanctions (they've already hired counsel to meet with the enforcement staff), a likely NCAA investigation to follow (with the cloud of further sanctions). So. Yeah. I have doubts that they could even sign Tom Herman or any other coach with options.

I think Bird should put his hat in the ring for the Baylor job. Bird has years of HS coaching experience in Texas and he would have the support of the AUFamily.

Assuming he opens it up, what other schools come into play, i've seen texas tech, and i assume baylor remains in play depending on who they hire, but anyone else?

OSU is the one to watch.

I feel like Urban might be tough to recruit against, if you mean ohio st.

I do.

Why do so many threads have to be about Gus's ability to develop QBs? SMDH

Point taken. The main point of my post is I think it's funny BMatt & JLee report for AU but said the exact opposite things in the span of a day.

I don't think JLee has much or any real connections inside AU. JLee has burned AU too many times to be trusted with info anymore.

I don't see any big name coach or a hot up and coming coach like Herman going to Baylor.

I don't see any big name coach or a hot up and coming coach like Herman going to Baylor.

Herman supposedly has his eyes on either Texas,Texas A&M or Oklahoma should they open up in the next year or two. He's quite comfortable in Houston and in no big hurry to leave, certainly not for Baylor.

I wish Baylor would contact Kiffin.

Herman supposedly has his eyes on either Texas,Texas A&M or Oklahoma should they open up in the next year or two. He's quite comfortable in Houston and in no big hurry to leave, certainly not for Baylor.

I wish Baylor would contact Kiffin.

Daniel Tosh needs to do more Kiffin's Krimson Korners IMO.

While I'm not a big name coach, or even a coach at all, I would not want my name and career associated with Baylor right now.

What about Chad Morris from SMU?

I know that SMU wasn't exactly in a good place before he got there, but Morris went 2-10 last year. I can't see Baylor taking a chance on him after that type of season even with all of the trouble that they are in.

IMO their best bet is going to be throwing money at a coordinator.

What about Chad Morris from SMU?

I know that SMU wasn't exactly in a good place before he got there, but Morris went 2-10 last year. I can't see Baylor taking a chance on him after that type of season even with all of the trouble that they are in.

IMO their best bet is going to be throwing money at a coordinator.

He may be the best option available.

Archived