Vanderbilt Freshman Pitcher Drowns

CameronCrazy

Absolutely heart-breaking...

http://sports.yahoo...._medium=twitter

Vanderbilt pitcher Donny Everett dies in drowning accident

Donny Everett, a freshman pitcher for Vanderbilt University, died at the age of 19 after drowning in a lake near Nashville on Thursday night.

Everett and four friends, including two Vanderbilt teammates, were fishing when Everett attempted to swim across Normandy Lake and was pulled under water.

In a statement, Vanderbilt spokesman Rod Williams said:

"We learned last night of the tragic death of Donny Everett, an outstanding young man who exemplified the best of our university. As you can imagine, the team, the athletic department and the university are trying to come to terms with this tragedy. His parents and loved ones are on our minds and in our prayers as we share in their grief.

Even as they grieve Everett's sudden death, Vanderbilt will go ahead and play its opening game of the NCAA Tournament on Friday night against Xavier. The team drove to Clarksville, Tenn., to be with Everrett's family earlier in the day and the loss has hit the community hard:

Wonder if it was a here-hold-this kinda moment. No matter, tragic. Prayers for all involved.

Pulled under water? I assume he had a cramp?

That caught my eye too. Read a story that said he was swimming and called for help. His friend reached him but is not a good swimmer and had to return to shore without him, and he then disappeared under the water. Cramps are my guess.

Story time:

I had an undercurrent pull me and my twin under when I was about 9 years old and at the Tennessee River. My brother started to panic and was literally pulling me under to try and push himself up and out of the current, and I was naturally doing the exact same thing to him! We were basically willing to kill off each other to save ourselves.bIts funny now but still quite embarrassing too. I remember that incident very vividly, possibly because that was the most scared I have ever been in my life. To finish off the story, my mother was laying out when she heard us and pretty much got to us right in time because I was exhausted and there was no way I was going to last much longer.

But yeah, every subsequent time at that river, I stayed where my feet could touch..

Very sad. I watched part of the bio about the famous pitcher that went to vandy and both of his best friends died back to back....life can be so hard at times

Story time:

I had an undercurrent pull me and my twin under when I was about 9 years old and at the Tennessee River. My brother started to panic and was literally pulling me under to try and push himself up and out of the current, and I was naturally doing the exact same thing to him! We were basically willing to kill off each other to save ourselves.bIts funny now but still quite embarrassing too. I remember that incident very vividly, possibly because that was the most scared I have ever been in my life. To finish off the story, my mother was laying out when she heard us and pretty much got to us right in time because I was exhausted and there was no way I was going to last much longer.

But yeah, every subsequent time at that river, I stayed where my feet could touch..

I had to save my brother one time because of cramps.

Yeah that's why they teach people when you save someone you approach from behind. You are supposed to drag them with their face up so they can not get on top of you. Some one who is drowning will pull someone else under. It just happens.

Story time:

Yeah that's why they teach people when you save someone you approach from behind. You are supposed to drag them with their face up so they can not get on top of you. Some one who is drowning will pull someone else under. It just happens.

I wasn't trying to save him. We were both getting pulled by the same undercurrent. I had yet to learn how to deal with them undercurrents also.

Story time:

I wasn't trying to save him. We were both getting pulled by the same undercurrent. I had yet to learn how to deal with them undercurrents also.

Ah, those are pretty dangerous. Even strong swimmers can get caught in those and drown. Glad you both made. Looks like we are both staying close to shore

Story time:

In general, because every situation is different, if caught in an under-toe/undercurrent you should swim perpendicular to the current until you are out of the condition. Then gather your wits, rest and determine your next move. I understand that the Vandy player was swimming at night and that can be very disorienting.

Story time:

I wasn't trying to save him. We were both getting pulled by the same undercurrent.

In general, because every situation is different, if caught in an under-toe/undercurrent you should swim perpendicular to the current until you are out of the condition. Then gather your wits, rest and determine your next move. I understand that the Vandy player was swimming at night and that can be very disorienting.

This is exactly what I've been taught as well! The key is to be as calm as possible I guess so you can remember to swim perpendicular, not follow your instincts and try to swim toward the beach.

Archived