Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

The problem is, a lot of what people consider dual threats are good runners but that the other skill to truly make them dual threat.  To me, jf3 and SW are neither dual threats. Watson is and Stidham would be as well.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

So I left this thread a few days ago and got back on it to see if there was any updates you guy have that the news outlets do not have yet.  I only saw this last page and all I read about was Usain Bolt somehow got in here (pretty sure he is in Rio at the moment), Jarvis Davis (plays on the other side of the ball), and Bo Jackson (I think he graduated from Auburn a year or two ago).  Granted, it was a little funny because I completely did not expect the comments.  I think only one quarterback was mentioned in Sean White once or twice.  Not complaining here, it is a little funny even, but if anyone has updates on the QB situation I would love to know.

I read that if Jeremy Johnson does not start, they may redshirt him so retain his eligibility should he want to transfer.

I see your problem. You've missed most of the broad perspective and depth of analysis, not to mention the rational and polite interplay of opposing positions, presented here.

One thing to consider of people saying White absolutely has to run well, Chris Todd was not a good runner.  But he did really well for us in 2009.  We almost beat Alabama that year after coming off of that 2008 year.  Gus had his hand in the 2009 season being the offensive coordinator.  Yeah being able to run a good 40 time is great, but not critical to have a good offense for Auburn.  I think we may just be too used to how Nick Marshall played to remember people like Todd.

1 minute ago, AUinTLoosa said:

I see your problem. You've missed most of the broad perspective and depth of analysis, not to mention the rational and polite interplay of opposing positions, presented here.

That made me laugh.......................

2 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

I was just trying to lighten the mood a little.  That's why I tried to have fun with it in the rest of that post.  Maybe it was funnier in my head.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To me, jf3 and SW are neither dual threats. Watson is and Stidham would be as well.

Stidham last season was MUCH more suited as a pocket passer than a Dual Threat or Zone Read QB.

9 minutes ago, Landshark said:

So is he red shirting or moving to linebacker? :dunno:

Jeremy would be the best linebacker I've seen since Joe Montana!!!!!!

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

You're right. I didn't realize you were making a joke. My apologies. 

FWIW, my joke wasn't making fun of you. I got your point about athleticism. I was making fun of the "We just need to get another Cam or Nick in here" crowd. 

Again, my apologies. 

No big deal bro. I have thick skin. Like I said I laughed at it! Hell funny is funny

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No big deal bro. I have thick skin. Like I said I laughed at it! Hell funny is funny

:thumbsup:

Now, let's yell at each other some more...

Haha, this is thread is all types of funny. Let's just call a spade, a spade. We are just not going to agree. It is not going to happen. There is a select few, who feel SW can be the man. There are a few posters, including myself, who feel apprehensive about that view. It is what it is. Just come out and say what side of the sandbox you on and let's let the results speak for themselves. I will gladly eat crow.

As for the crowd looking for a starter to be named, trust me you will know when everyone else knows. The media will be a buzz and I am sure they will be a sticky thread on who Gus has named. 

WDE.

35 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Jeremy would be the best linebacker I've seen since Joe Montana!!!!!!

You mean Joe Montania. ;)

I'm not oposed to SW being the guy,just think DT is better for Gus's O. Todd was good, but look at who was making some of those catches. SW will be ok as long as guys catch the ball. 

1 minute ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I'm not opposed to SW being the guy,just think DT is better for Gus's O. Todd was good, but look at who was making some of those catches. SW will be ok as long as guys catch the ball. 

Hopefully when it's all been said and done, Sean will be a far better QB than Todd.  He certainly has more to build off of.  If he can improve from year 1 to year 2 like Todd did from 2008-2009, it will be a good year.  Todd went from a 55.1% completion ratio for 129 yards/game and a 0.8 touchdown to interception ratio in his first year at Auburn under Franklin, after spending a year at Texas Tech and a year in Jr College,  to a 60.4% completion ratio for 201 yards/game and a 3.6 touchdown to interception ratio in his second year at Auburn under the tutelage of Gus and Rhett.

I'll also note that Todd had targets like Rod Smith and Darvin Adams both years.

57 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Haaaa. I was hoping you guys would pick up on that! Or else I'd look like a crazy a-hole.

Actually, based on the conversation, I thought your comment was clever even w/out the Waterboy link.

Watson hit a home run with this interview......and seems to have nailed a lot of people on this board when they start arguing who is a DT quarterback. 

IF Watson is reading things correctly.....which I think he is....it is apparent that SW can never be a DT quarterback because of skin pigment and JJ is automatically a DT quarterback for the same reason.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17333195/deshaun-watson-clemson-tigers-says-stereotyped-run-first-qb-race

and we have our starting QB...

Ladies and Gentleman Ronnie "Sunshine" Bass.     A TRUE Dual threat QB who can pass and kick your a**... 

http://www.superiorpics.com/movie_pictures/mp/2000_Remember_the_Titans/kip_pardue_remember_the_titans_002.jpg

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Watson hit a home run with this interview......and seems to have nailed a lot of people on this board when they start arguing who is a DT quarterback. 

IF Watson is reading things correctly.....which I think he is....it is apparent that SW can never be a DT quarterback because of skin pigment and JJ is automatically a DT quarterback for the same reason.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17333195/deshaun-watson-clemson-tigers-says-stereotyped-run-first-qb-race

I never thought of dual threat as being the equivalent of being run first. Andrew Luck is a DT and he didn't seek to run first. Russell Wilson, also. If anything, I think being a DT QB adds value and shouldn't be stereotyped in a negative way. 

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

SW and JJ are not DT-QBs because they are not threats with running the ball. Nobody ever accused famous Jamies of being Cam Newton. Likewise, DW and Johnny Football both passed for over 3500 yards and rushed for 1000 yards in a season, therefore they are considered a DT. It seems you can make race about anything these days.

Oh and spoiler alert, I am black, before anybody wants to call me out.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

SW and JJ are not DT-QBs because they are not threats with running the ball. Nobody ever accused famous Jamies of being Cam Newton. Likewise, DW and Johnny Football both passed for over 3500 yards and rushed for 1000 yards in a season, therefore they are considered a DT. It seems you can make race about anything these days.

Oh and spoiler alert, I am black, before anybody wants to call me out.

I tend to agree. Dual threat implies the defense must plan for your arm and legs. In no particular order. I don't see SW as a DT but as a mobile QB who can extend drives from time to time. But defenses aren't going to waste a LB to spy him.

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Wow... I think that's the first time I've ever read an article about someone complaining about being called something positive. It also appears that Watson joins a lot of the football community in having reading comprehension issues.  I don't know how so many people read the words "dual-threat" and some how hear "runner" in their heads.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

SW and JJ are not DT-QBs because they are not threats with running the ball. 

Truth: We do not have a dual-threat QB on our current roster (save Woody, who is likely going to redshirt).  We have 2 passing threats (when they are both physically and mentally healthy) and one running threat.  They can all pass and run, but at present no one would consider them a "threat" at their lesser skill.

Archived