Looking ahead, way ahead

logan adams

I realize we're still in the middle of the 2016 season, but I was just glancing over our schedule next year, and HOLY COW. That may be the most difficult schedule that I've seen us have, maybe ever? 

Again, people,please don't comment "Let's focus on this year first." No kidding, I'm just saying that our schedule next year is absolutely no joke.

Sept. 2: Georgia Southern
Sept. 9: at Clemson
Sept. 16: Mercer
Sept. 23: at Missouri
Sept. 30: Mississippi State
Oct. 7: Ole Miss
Oct. 14: at LSU
Oct. 21: at Arkansas
Oct. 28: Open
Nov. 4: at Texas A&M
Nov. 11: Georgia
Nov. 18: ULM
Nov. 25: Alabama 

I don't really see that schedule being that hard.  We have Miss. State, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Bama at home.  89% of our offensive production this year is from freshmen and sophomores so they will be back next year.  Clemson will lose their whole offense and their DT's to the draft this year.  The only away game to watch for it Texas A&M in my opinion.  With the direction our team is in, that schedule does not make me wince.

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I don't really see that schedule being that hard.  We have Miss. State, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Bama at home.  89% of our offensive production this year is from freshmen and sophomores so they will be back next year.  Clemson will lose their whole offense and their DT's to the draft this year.  The only away game to watch for it Texas A&M in my opinion.  With the direction our team is in, that schedule does not make me wince.

It's the fact that we play Mississippi State, Ole Miss, @LSU, @Arkansas, @Texas A&M, and then Georgia with only one bye week to separate those meetings. That's harsh.

7 minutes ago, logan adams said:

It's the fact that we play Mississippi State, Ole Miss, @LSU, @Arkansas, @Texas A&M, and then Georgia with only one bye week to separate those meetings. That's harsh.

True.  I do like the placement of that bye week though.  It was worse when Auburn used to place their bye week right before Alabama which meant every other game before that was back to back.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

True.  I do like the placement of that bye week though.  It was worse when Auburn used to place their bye week right before Alabama which meant every other game before that was back to back.

I agree. If we didn't have a bye in that stretch, then I'd be extremely worried. 

17 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Georgia Southern is no push over.

Uhhh...

Didn't they just lose to the worst (until that moment) team in college football last night?

8 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Yellow font

Ahh...  Makes more sense that way. My phone hates this interface. It shows no font changes and half the time types my text backwards.  Much thanks for the clue.

Schedule[edit]

Date Time Opponent# Rank# Site TV Result Attendance
September 7   Southern Miss* No. 4 Jordan-Hare Stadium  Auburn, AL   W 24–3   73,500
September 17 11:30 AM CDT No. 3 Texas* No. 5 Jordan-Hare Stadium • Auburn, AL CBS L 7–20   73,500
September 24   at Tennessee No. 11 Neyland Stadium  Knoxville, TN   W 37–14   95,185
October 1   Florida State* No. 10 Jordan-Hare Stadium • Auburn, AL   W 27–24   75,625
October 8   at Kentucky No. 7 Commonwealth Stadium  Lexington, KY   W 49–21   57,989
October 15   at Georgia Tech* No. 5 Grant Field  Atlanta, GA   W 31–13   55,112
October 22   Mississippi State No. 5 Jordan-Hare Stadium • Auburn, AL   W 28–13   71,500
October 29   No. 5 Florida No. 4 Jordan-Hare Stadium • Auburn, AL CBS W 28–21   75,700
November 5   No. 7 Maryland* No. 3 Jordan-Hare Stadium • Auburn, AL   W 35–23   75,600
November 12 2:50 PM CST at No. 4 Georgia No. 3 Sanford Stadium  Athens, GA (Deep South's Oldest Rivalry) ABC W 13–7   82,122
December 3 2:50 PM CST vs. No. 19 Alabama No. 3 Legion Field  Birmingham, AL (Iron Bowl) ABC W 23–20   77,310
January 2, 1984 7:00 PM CST vs. No. 8 Michigan* No. 3 Louisiana Superdome  New Orleans, LA (Sugar Bowl) ABC W 9–7   77,893
*Non-conference game. daggerHomecoming. #Rankings from AP Poll.

[3]

This was a tough schedule

21 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Schedule[edit]

Date Time Opponent# Rank# Site TV Result Attendance
September 7   Southern Miss* No. 4 Jordan-Hare Stadium  Auburn, AL   W 24–3   73,500
September 17 11:30 AM CDT No. 3 Texas* No. 5 Jordan-Hare Stadium • Auburn, AL CBS L 7–20   73,500
September 24   at Tennessee No. 11 Neyland Stadium  Knoxville, TN   W 37–14   95,185
October 1   Florida State* No. 10 Jordan-Hare Stadium • Auburn, AL   W 27–24   75,625
October 8   at Kentucky No. 7 Commonwealth Stadium  Lexington, KY   W 49–21   57,989
October 15   at Georgia Tech* No. 5 Grant Field  Atlanta, GA   W 31–13   55,112
October 22   Mississippi State No. 5 Jordan-Hare Stadium • Auburn, AL   W 28–13   71,500
October 29   No. 5 Florida No. 4 Jordan-Hare Stadium • Auburn, AL CBS W 28–21   75,700
November 5   No. 7 Maryland* No. 3 Jordan-Hare Stadium • Auburn, AL   W 35–23   75,600
November 12 2:50 PM CST at No. 4 Georgia No. 3 Sanford Stadium  Athens, GA (Deep South's Oldest Rivalry) ABC W 13–7   82,122
December 3 2:50 PM CST vs. No. 19 Alabama No. 3 Legion Field  Birmingham, AL (Iron Bowl) ABC W 23–20   77,310
January 2, 1984 7:00 PM CST vs. No. 8 Michigan* No. 3 Louisiana Superdome  New Orleans, LA (Sugar Bowl) ABC W 9–7   77,893
*Non-conference game. daggerHomecoming. #Rankings from AP Poll.

[3]

This was a tough schedule

Still baffling that we did not win the national championship that year. ROBBED.

35 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Still baffling that we did not win the national championship that year. ROBBED.

I think we would have if we had scored a touchdown in the bowl game. You?

3 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Georgia Southern is no push over. They'll give us fits.

They got beat by Arky State last night and AS had 5 turnovers not sure what they will   have next year but I doubt they are a major threat.

If LSU makes the splash hire we all expect them to, then this schedule might be harder than 2014 Auburn. Until then, IDK about being the hardest I've ever seen. Getting Alabama at home or away always puts any Auburn schedule into perspective honestly 

8 hours ago, logan adams said:

Sept. 2: Georgia Southern - hopefully not a 11am kickoff
Sept. 9: at Clemson - reverse 2011
Sept. 16: Mercer
Sept. 23: at Missouri - Missouri will still be terrible
Sept. 30: Mississippi State - always tough
Oct. 7: Ole Miss - lose Kelly but will still be good unless NCAA kills them offseason
Oct. 14: at LSU - depends 100% on coach.  Auburn under Gus struggles in Baton Rogue
Oct. 21: at Arkansas - Arkansas will be good next year "said every year"
Oct. 28: Open
Nov. 4: at Texas A&M - depends on qb play.   probably need another transfer or JC since all the young guns have left
Nov. 11: Georgia - better in year 2 with Kirby.  Eason will be coming on and the D should be better
Nov. 18: ULM
Nov. 25: Alabama  - Bama gonna be Bama

Playoff game in Pasadena and Championship game in Atlanta would be kewl

9 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Every year is tough 

No doubt. 

Fortunately, 3 of our toughest games next year are the same as 3 of our toughest games this year, except all 3 of those teams will likely see their QBs drafted between now and then. Meanwhile, we'll be returning well over half our offensive production, including our QB.

Still very difficult next year, but not like this year.

Considering where the SEC West is these days.....it looks to me as if there will never be anything other than a tough schedule.....though maybe it just gets tougher when Vandy and Missouri are behind us...and we pick up UF and UT as our East games.....but we just swap three very difficult road games for 3 other very difficult road games on alternate years. 

18 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I think we would have if we had scored a touchdown in the bowl game. You?

I think it's more of Miami beating the number one Nebraska as opposed to the game score. We've had the toughest schedule in the country by FAR and yet we got snubbed. 

But I am curious-- elaborate more on the game score? 

48 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

I think it's more of Miami beating the number one Nebraska as opposed to the game score. We've had the toughest schedule in the country by FAR and yet we got snubbed. 

But I am curious-- elaborate more on the game score? 

Al DelGreco had to kick a last second field goal to win it for us. Granted, our offense didn't look the best that night. Regardless, Miami played a totally crap schedule that year. If memory serves, the only ranked team they played that year was Florida (who we beat easily) and they got run out of the stadium. The ultimate insult was that not only were we not awarded the championship, but we stayed third behind Nebraska.

Archived