Jeremy Johnson

Eisenhower_1952

I do kind of feel for the kid. I honestly used to not, but he did give it his all even though it just didnt click for him. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/9/2016 at 9:11 PM, AUDevil said:

I've wondered the same thing.  If he's been injured, he should still be able to get another year.

Only if he already has his undergraduate degree or transfers to an FCS School. Things can change but from what I gather it doesn't look like he wants transfer.

10 hours ago, alexava said:

if sean goes down tomorrow JJ is back in the discussion if JF3 can't be consistent. i don't know how Gus worrying about his job matters at all. If you win enough you are retained if you don't you are fired. He wants to win every game whether he is 0-6 or 6-0. If he played JJ it is because he thinks he is the best, apparently he doesn't. I have never seen or heard any negatives from JJ. No casual fan wanted him to succeed more than i did. he had his shot and it didn't work out. Could he have done better with different coaching? maybe but now he is stuck behind two less experienced qbs and putting all the tools on the table i think added all up he is more talented than either of them. it was suggested here that he be redshirted and i laughed at whoever mentioned it but now it made sense. it would be awesome for him to have been free to move into a place of his choice next year. qb situations change weekly we may be back on the JJ bandwagon anyway.

JMO but if SW goes down and Gus goes back to JJ, he get's skewered if it does not work out....JJ is the past....that's too bad but I'm pretty certain that the case.

Anything that Gus does now has to speak to the future....and that would be JF3...no matter how it works out.  Whether JF3 is an acceptable passer or not, he still has his legs and could likely run a pretty good offense and nobody will blame Gus if things are not smooth.  

I doubt Gus is coaching "scared" but he can't help but be aware of how fans feel about the situation with JJ and JF3.

Any questions about JJ's class, sportsmanship, and allegiance to Auburn should have been put to bed when he sprinted down the sideline on JFIII's 80 yard TD run and the way he congratulated JFIII. Regardless of events and perceived shortcomings, the young man is top drawer. I, too, would love to see him go the GA route and head into coaching if that is what the good Lord has in store for him.

I think it just didn't work out for him for a variety of reasons and it doesn't have to be more than that. It happens on every team, every year. It is more in the spotlight here because it's a QB and said QB had high expectations thrust upon him by basically everyone. Throw in the fact he seems like a great kid and we all like him and it magnifies the situation. I think it's highly unlikely he transfers, gets an NFL shot, game winning trick play, etc. The more likely scenario involves him graduating with a degree from a great school and moving on with life. Doesn't make for as interesting message board fodder but there's nothing wrong with that. 

13 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

It's an unfortunate occurrence but JJ has basically been discarded by the coaching staff, especially due to the fact that fan pressure and the heat from having him in there have gotten to Gus. I think at this point Gus would rather not even risk upsetting anyone else by Gus even showing JJ. It's a terrible thing yes, but that's what the insensitivity of some college football fans can do. Too much unrest isn't good right now when Gus is trying to fight for his football life basically. 

I'm going to have to disagree with you, Flex.  Jeremy is not a victim of fan pressure, he's in the unfortunate situation that a lot of QBs find themselves in.  He's #3 behind a guy who's hitting close to 70% of his passes and managing the offense like a pro and another guy who is lightning in a bottle. He's not sitting because Gus is afraid to put him out there. He's sitting because there's no scenario where it benefits the team to put him out there.  When we have "trash time" in a game, we need to get John reps. As for putting him in another position, what position is he going to learn, from scratch, where he will suddenly be better than the other players we have to choose from?  The only position even worth considering is tight end...

It sucks because Jeremy is a great kid, but it's the reality of football, especially for a QB.  There's only 1 starter and 1 back-up and if there are better options, you sit.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you, Flex.  Jeremy is not a victim of fan pressure, he's in the unfortunate situation that a lot of QBs find themselves in.  He's #3 behind a guy who's hitting close to 70% of his passes and managing the offense like a pro and another guy who is lightning in a bottle. He's not sitting because Gus is afraid to put him out there. He's sitting because there's no scenario where it benefits the team to put him out there.  When we have "trash time" in a game, we need to get John reps. As for putting him in another position, what position is he going to learn, from scratch, where he will suddenly be better than the other players we have to choose from?  The only position even worth considering is tight end...

It sucks because Jeremy is a great kid, but it's the reality of football, especially for a QB.  There's only 1 starter and 1 back-up and if there are better options, you sit.

There is a lot of truth to what you say. Really the issue is JJ's play in general in comparison to the other options. Though you've got to admit, with all the grief that Malzahn got originally, him putting JJ in last year and early this year during any situation is similar to the Les Miles and Brandon Harris situation. Everyone scratches their heads and people get mad saying "He is still putting him in? This guy doesn't know what he is doing. Get rid of him." You're right though he is unfortunately behind 2 people who are better options at this point, though I do think that considering the backlash from using JJ over say a TQ or a WB would definitely occur to Coach. Now how significant it would be to his decision making process we don't know, but I think it is still something that he'd consider. 

I can definitely say that his best chance passed him by last year when he had the option to transfer, though that's just how those things go. Some guys I've advised to transfer and it's worked out. Some who haven't unfortunately don't see the best results of the decision. 

On 10/10/2016 at 9:04 PM, lutzcammed said:

JJ is a class act.   I have no idea if he can help at this point but I would like to see him join the basketball team when the season is over.

If I remember  correctly, once upon a time he had skills.

I think he was actually in the final running for Mr. Basketball in Alabama his senior year. WDE

20 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

There is a lot of truth to what you say. Really the issue is JJ's play in general in comparison to the other options. Though you've got to admit, with all the grief that Malzahn got originally, him putting JJ in last year and early this year during any situation is similar to the Les Miles and Brandon Harris situation. Everyone scratches their heads and people get mad saying "He is still putting him in? This guy doesn't know what he is doing. Get rid of him." You're right though he is unfortunately behind 2 people who are better options at this point, though I do think that considering the backlash from using JJ over say a TQ or a WB would definitely occur to Coach. Now how significant it would be to his decision making process we don't know, but I think it is still something that he'd consider. 

I can definitely say that his best chance passed him by last year when he had the option to transfer, though that's just how those things go. Some guys I've advised to transfer and it's worked out. Some who haven't unfortunately don't see the best results of the decision. 

I guess most folks either think that our coaches are dummies or just want to get fired. Try and follow. Gus was still undecided on who to start even after the Clemson game, so undoubtedly those who see him most still think he has some potential. I know that we have probably a lot of folks on here that could be D1 football coaches but just don't want to because the pay is bad, but really can folks be that  blind, racist or just stupid. Nobody thought SW would be this good either, but when the coaches tailored the offense to take advantage of his abilities then he fared well. I think that JJ would also. A lot that made all three look bad was the play calling and the position they were put in. As for the transfer, JJ made it clear he was going to finish at AU no matter what. As I said before whether he takes a shot at the pros or coaching or something else, he came to Auburn because he loved Auburn. He is not like a lot of players who are just concerned with themselves and will move from school to school if it helps their status. Thus the reason I call him a true Auburn man, something a lot of folks on here will never understand. I just wish him the best. I am happy with SW and I am glad we have JJ there in case he is needed. WDE

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
*2013 Auburn SEC FR QB 5 29 41 70.7 422 10.3 11.0 6 2 195.7
*2014 Auburn SEC SO QB 6 28 37 75.7 436 11.8 13.4 3 0 201.4
*2015 Auburn SEC JR QB 10 95 157 60.5 1053 6.7 6.0 10 7 129.0
2016 Auburn SEC SR QB 1 4 6 66.7 38 6.3 -1.2 0 1 86.5
Career Auburn         156 241 64.7 1949 8.1 7.8 19 10 150.4

Here is his career record at AU. Pretty sure his record is 7W 2L as a starter. I don't think that is anything to be ashamed of. WDE JJ.

I have not heard anything about Queen. Is he still even on the depth chart for QB?  I would love to see him get a chance to play and show what he can do. I am not sure if this will ever happen with Woody redshirting and coming in next year to give SW, and JFIII some competition. Our QB position may very well turn into a strength come 2017.

Johnson appeared in the MSU game on kickoff with the hands team. Has a role, even if minor

Participation Report (Final)
                              2016 Auburn Football
        Auburn vs Mississippi State (Oct 08, 2016 at Starkville, Miss.)

Auburn: 1B-Markell Boston, 1D-TJ Davis, 3C-N. Craig-Myers, 4H-Jeff Holland, 5-John Franklin, 5B-Derrick Brown, 6J-Jeremy Johnson,
 6-Carlton Davis, 9M-Kam Martin, 9-Byron Cowart, 10-Stanton Truitt, 11-Kyle Davis, 12-Eli Stove, 14-Stephen Roberts, 17-TJ Neal,
 22-John Broussard, 24-Daniel Thomas, 26-Marshall Taylor, 29-Tyler Stovall, 36-Kamryn Pettway, 38-Daniel Carlson, 42-Tre Threat,
 48-M. Atkinson, 49-Da. Williams, 51-Richard McBryde, 58-Josh Shockley, 64-Mike Horton, 65-Tucker Brown, 67-Tyler Carr,
 69-Ike Powell, 76-P. Wanogho, 79-Andrew Williams, 80-Marcus Davis, 81-Darius Slayton, 90-Maurice Swain, 91-Kevin Phillips,
 94-D. Lawrence.

IMO, as long as Sean White is healthy, JF3 is the number 2 QB.  Heaven forbid, should Sean White get injured and have to miss extended time, then JJ is the number 2 QB.

wde

21 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

IMO, as long as Sean White is healthy, JF3 is the number 2 QB.  Heaven forbid, should Sean White get injured and have to miss extended time, then JJ is the number 2 QB.

wde

He's not anymore actually. JF3 would take over now if Sean had an extending injury.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

He's not anymore actually. JF3 would take over now if Sean had an extending injury.

OK, I know that is the official stance, but IMO should Sean have a long term injury, even if JF3 starts the next game, his leash would be extremely short (like no more than 3 series) before Gus went to JJ.

wde

23 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

OK, I know that is the official stance, but IMO should Sean have a long term injury, even if JF3 starts the next game, his leash would be extremely short (like no more than 3 series) before Gus went to JJ.

wde

I'm not talking about official stance. I would not have posted that if I was. The staff has apparently gotten comfortable with JF3.

On October 9, 2016 at 9:11 PM, AUDevil said:

If he's been injured, he should still be able to get another year.

Hardship waiver would be the only way he could get another year as he's already participated i.e. cannot qualify for a standard redshirt.

On October 10, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Tiger said:

I don't think that's uncommon actually. If I'm not mistaken our own Tigers over the years have played a few freshman in the first couple games of the season and they have an injury that would keep them out for a month or so and they just deem it a season ending injury and with the amount of games they played in are able to qualify for the redshirt. I can't think of specific examples at this time, but it seems like I remember something like this happening. Not exactly the same situation as JJ right now but I think the door is open to do this.

Trovon Reed played 2 snaps v Clemson in 2010 and received a Hardship Waiver. No clue if the claimed injury was real or not.

5 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Trovon Reed played 2 snaps v Clemson in 2010 and received a Hardship Waiver. No clue if the claimed injury was real or not.

This is the type of thing I was talking about.

On October 10, 2016 at 7:50 PM, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Unfortunately since it's coming to that point, the rules state that the injury would have had to of occurred before 20% of the season being over in order to actually work.

I've always known it to be no more than 30% of the total season and no games past the midpoint of the season. So Johnson could have played in the MSU game (since he's only played in 1 game) and since MSU was Game 6, but no further.

So he could still qualify for a Hardship Waiver.

If Johnson plays any more from here out, his opportunity for a Hardship Waiver is gone.

On 10/10/2016 at 7:00 PM, weagl1 said:

I wish the coaches would find some role for him.  He has stuck it out with his team and you have to admire that about him.  

It would seem like he should be the scout team QB to help get ready for Arkansas and Ole Miss as he is our best option for simulating a drop back passer offense that they run.  It would be a big contribution to the team.

Most likely way too late to learn any new position. Having him come in to mop up duty would be hard IMO because it would just be a further reminder of the fall that has occurred. I think he will be a winner in life and that's much more important than the football field in reality. I'm glad he's got the character he has. A lot of players couldn't handle it. He's a man. 

Does anyone even know if jj wants to play somewhere else, no matter what? It seems like if he did he would have left last year. 

I hate it for him, because he seems like a great kid, but the handwriting is on the wall afa big school cfb or pro ball. 

2 hours ago, tiger88 said:

Does anyone even know if jj wants to play somewhere else, no matter what? It seems like if he did he would have left last year. 

I hate it for him, because he seems like a great kid, but the handwriting is on the wall afa big school cfb or pro ball. 

Unless JJ got injured while playing on the kick return team last Saturday he can't play anywhere else. He's now played his allowed four years. End of story.

Archived