So, how do we finish?

RunInRed

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

It will be tough. I think they want Michigan Clemson Louisville and UW. The faster they can have a playoff without a SEC representative the better they will feel. They will try to keep us out if we beat Bama and win the SEC. Also Baylor/WV on Dec 3rd will play a big role in shaping the playoff.

I agree but they will have a hard time keeping the SEC champion out of the playoff. By that time we would also be the hottest team in the nation. Hopefully Ohio state beats Michigan and FSU beats Clemson. Clemson could also lose the ACC title game. As long as we get a couple of those teams to lose 1 game I think we would get in with 2 losses. If WVU or Baylor get in there will be backlash. Conference is very weak this year.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, WarTiger said:

:lol:  There's absolutely nothing wrong with FANS looking ahead to other games.  None of us here are going to have anything to say about the outcome.  Looking forward is called the privilege of being a fan. 

Logan's opinion if fine and relevant to this thread even you disagree with it.

wde

13 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

8-4 maybe 9-3 sorry just the way I see it for now. I would ever be so happy to be wrong

golf,

I think we handle Ole Miss this weekend. uga worries me.  This playoff talk is delusional.  Beating spuat means the stars would have to align twice since 2013.

wde

11 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I agree but they will have a hard time keeping the SEC champion out of the playoff. By that time we would also be the hottest team in the nation. Hopefully Ohio state beats Michigan and FSU beats Clemson. Clemson could also lose the ACC title game. As long as we get a couple of those teams to lose 1 game I think we would get in with 2 losses. If WVU or Baylor get in there will be backlash. Conference is very weak this year.

I'm not sure about Ohio State beating Michigan.  If there is any team that would get preferential treatment as a 1-loss, other than bama, it's Ohio State. I'd rather see them as 2 losses and out of the picture entirely.  I can live with Michigan being a lock.  

52 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm not sure about Ohio State beating Michigan.  If there is any team that would get preferential treatment as a 1-loss, other than bama, it's Ohio State. I'd rather see them as 2 losses and out of the picture entirely.  I can live with Michigan being a lock.  

Best case scenario is FSU beats Clemson and then Clemson loses ACC title. HOUSTON beats Louisville yeah I know this is not very likely atm. Michigan state beats Michigan then Michigan beats Ohio State. I also think Oklahoma can and probably will beat both Baylor and WVU. No way they put Bama in over us if we beat them at Tuscaloosa then we win SEC.

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Best case scenario is FSU beats Clemson and then Clemson loses ACC title. HOUSTON beats Louisville yeah I know this is not very likely atm. Michigan state beats Michigan then Michigan beats Ohio State. I also think Oklahoma can and probably will beat both Baylor and WVU. No way they put Bama in over us if we beat them at Tuscaloosa then we win SEC.

"So you're sayin there's a chance." - Lloyd Christmas.

15 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

We win out and then win the SEC after LSU beats A&M. We will beat Bama unless their qb makes a big improvement on his deep balls. I say the game is a toss up but I will still say we win out. 

With my glasses on,

This dream scenario would be complete with a rematch w/. one-loss Clemson in the Cotton.

We've got a pretty good scouting report on them.

20 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Don't forget that we need Utah to take out Washington.

I honestly don't think Clemson or Louisville will lose (though how nice would it be if Chizik put a chink in Clemson's armor in the ACC championship). Michigan State has bailed us out before so I have faith in them.  I also agree that Oklahoma should take Baylor and WVU.  Mayfield is finally playing the way everyone expected him to. I also agree about bama.  Putting them in over us, if we beat them and win the SEC would destroy the validity of the committee. Unfortunately I could still see the committee making it Clemson, Michigan, and two of  a 1-loss Big 12 team/a 1-loss PAC 12 team/Louisville, because they are the fan favorite this year and lost by 6 to a team I expect to be undefeated. My fear is that they are afraid to play SEC favorites, even though our conference is MUCH harder than the others.

2 hours ago, AUTigers910 said:

I'm sure I could certainly come up with a scenario in which Alabama gets in with two or less undefeated teams but Auburn would also be in the playoffs as well which was my point overall.

I would hope a two loss Auburn would get in over bama after beating them, but I don't really think it would happen,bama gets to much love from the media.Look at how LSU had to play them twice a few years ago.

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

I see a lot of good chances for pretty much every team ahead of us (that would be a legit playoff contender) has the chance to lose at least one. That applies to us too but I want to think we'll be able to sit back and watch everyone fall as we beat Bama and the east champion, like in '13. 

Btw you need to be on the lookout to see if Art is lurking around the campus and practices. I see too much of his and Kendall's offense's against Arky. 

I don't think we lose another game.  LSU also wins out and we stomp Tenn. in the SECCG.  We make the playoff over several one loss teams in part because of how badly we embarrassed the turds, and we win it all.   That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I think if we win out, but need to jump a one loss, say WVU, we would.  For us to win out, we would be red hot, and add some quality wins.  The committee seems to put in the 4 best teams in at the last meeting they have, not best record - which usually had a little more record based bias in the polls, IMO.  The committee also usually gives their reasoning behind the 4 rankings.  If, and big if, we win out, I think it they would be hard pressed reasoning AU's wins against AL, LSU, SEC Champ, and our other blow out wins against SEC teams plus our 2 high quality appointment losses early in the season over WVU's weaker big 12 wins.

All is moot if business isnt handled at Ole Miss - WAR EAGLE!

BTW, I went to every 2004 home game, SEC Champ, and Sugar Bowl. still stings a little not getting a 3rd shot at USC + champoinship. (I also went to the 2002 USC away game, and home loss the next year)

I think we will beat Vandy and the non-conference team. There is a better than average chance we beat OM and UGA. At this point there is a small chance we beat AL. More than likely 9-3 or 8-4 which is pretty darn good when you consider we started 1-2. 

The thing that I have to remind myself at times is that no one looks forward to playing a Gus Malzahn offense. Even when it had been sputtering it has kept us in ballgames with very few exceptions. The defense has been what has let us down most of the time. That's not the case this year and after A&M the offense has been clicking to the point of steamrolling Arkansas. I know it wasn't the Bama D but we all know it was impressive regardless. That coupled with the stout defense this season and no one including Bama is looking forward to playing AU. There is a very good chance this team can win out because this is looking like the first complete team Gus has had at Auburn and I would have loved this defense in the NC game. It would have been no contest. Lashlee is making the right calls and the players are executing. I like their chances. They are putting the fear back into the opponents this year and Halloween weekend is a great time to serve notice to the rest of the SEC - be afraid, be very afraid if what lurks around the corner. War Eagle!

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 0:14 PM, gr82be said:

You beat me to it. It's a long shot but hey, 5 weeks ago I thought 5-2 was a long shot. Go all out. If you set you're goals low you'll achieve them every time. 

The Doc is prescribing some strong medicine that will make us win out with a 13-2 record. Take no prisoners and show no mercy! 

I am gonna go the generic route and say we win all but against Updyke U. I'm also gonna throw in the caveat that we are chosen over the East champ and rep the SEC in the Sugar Bowl capping off a heck of a season.  

7 hours ago, hikerdns said:

BTW, I went to every 2004 home game, SEC Champ, and Sugar Bowl. still stings a little not getting a 3rd shot at USC + champoinship. (I also went to the 2002 USC away game, and home loss the next year)

Yep - I'm still waiting on that revenge game. So much so that I was rooting for Bama when they played opening weekend. But even that thrashing didn't diminish my need for Auburn to put 50 on them. lol

The games we win, I don't know if we win them all or not, I do know they need to be in dominating form to have a chance..

We win out and go into the IB fairly evenly matched. The key to beating bama is not to let them score a non-offensive TD. That is what got aTm and OM beat. Our D is playing plenty tough enough to stay with their offense - in fact, I would say it is more on their offense to figure out our defense. Our offense playing a tough D on the road will be the issue. I dont see us getting far enough ahead to take the crowd completely out of it - but it only takes putting a little doubt in their heads to quiet the place down a little. Win tomorrow and it is not a stretch by any means to pick AU to finish 10-2 in the regular season.

On 10/24/2016 at 8:59 PM, selias said:

I'm not discounting our defensive guys at all. I'm downright giddy at seeing an actual honest-to-god Auburn defense again. My concern is in our offense matching up with their defense.

I agree but I also like our defense against their offense as well...so far they have not seen a tough defense. Auburn has seen two in Clemson and LSU. I know Bama is elite in comparison to those two but at least we have been tested by two pretty good defenses. 

9 hours ago, gr82be said:

The thing that I have to remind myself at times is that no one looks forward to playing a Gus Malzahn offense. Even when it had been sputtering it has kept us in ballgames with very few exceptions. The defense has been what has let us down most of the time. That's not the case this year and after A&M the offense has been clicking to the point of steamrolling Arkansas. I know it wasn't the Bama D but we all know it was impressive regardless. That coupled with the stout defense this season and no one including Bama is looking forward to playing AU. There is a very good chance this team can win out because this is looking like the first complete team Gus has had at Auburn and I would have loved this defense in the NC game. It would have been no contest. Lashlee is making the right calls and the players are executing. I like their chances. They are putting the fear back into the opponents this year and Halloween weekend is a great time to serve notice to the rest of the SEC - be afraid, be very afraid if what lurks around the corner. War Eagle!

Great post 82

7 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I am gonna go the generic route and say we win all but against Updyke U. I'm also gonna throw in the caveat that we are chosen over the East champ and rep the SEC in the Sugar Bowl capping off a heck of a season.  

Aside from us needing to finish 4-1, A&M would need to lose two more games for that to happen.

Not so fast, I'm not sure Clemson losing to fsu would be good for us. When you look at rankings, it looks better if we keep climbing while they sit close to the top. And we could jump FSU. I say we're in the top 10 by the Bama game. Could be close to 5 depending on how the other teams do. We beat Bama and we still finish #4 without being the sec champ. Just kidding.... But I had a dream

seriously, wasn't kidding about the first part of this paragraph. I say we're 6 or 7 by the Bama game 

19 hours ago, doc4aday said:

The Doc is prescribing some strong medicine that will make us win out with a 13-2 record. Take no prisoners and show no mercy! 

I stumbled across recent odds.

" AUBURN: 40/1

Gus Malzahn's team lost two of the first three games of the season, but the strong defense and a favorable schedule have helped the Tigers start 5-2. They have a rough remaining SEC schedule that includes at Ole Miss, at Georgia and at Alabama."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/updated-odds-to-win-the-college-football-playoff/ss-AAjogBL?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout#image=9

Archived