Malzahn's Presser (merged Threads)

Farmer Brown

1 hour ago, Farmer Brown said:

-- On no Kam Martin carries: "Kam Pettway is really our guy. ... We were a little concerned with the size of their linebackers."

Sounds like a concern with ball security, but I was still baffled by the lack of rotation. Pettway clearly wasn't better than 80%. 

I was especially frustrated by our disinterest in stretching out Clemson's front seven laterally. Certainly losing KJ hurt, but I thought passes to the HB would have helped tonight.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

If Stidham would have kept and bootlegged the opposite way,  he waltzes into end zone. I know the play was not an option play but still. 

I literally said the exact same thing as the play was happening.

Gus owes his career to Cam (and Nick Marshall) like Dennis Franchione owes his career to Ladium Tomlinson.   

47 minutes ago, War Knight said:

I think you and I have had this chat a few times. It's insane that we run a "designated" read option where the QB makes no actual read. That's like selling someone a soda with no sugar, carbonation, flavor, or labels on the can.

Ive had this conversation with anyone whos listened. I thought the only reason JF3 was brought in was to run the read option. I thought the main type of play calling after the LSU second half of 2015 would involve Jeremy running more, hopefully via the read option. I thought this year, AFTER PRIORITIZING A MOBILE QB, would involve the read option. I assume if you plan on running the ball incredibly heavy and you need to get semi creative with your formations, you use the read option. 

Instead, Gus enjoys seeing his QBs take 10 extra minutes handling the ball for the pseudo read option which does absolutely nothing to distract the defensive line and then fake like he'll throw the ball, as if any of our QBs ever actually have the chance to throw a quick pass off of a play fake. Gus might be the most brain dead offensive guru in the entire game 

27 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I was especially frustrated by our disinterest in stretching out Clemson's front seven laterally. 

It is near impossibility with six inch spreads on the offensive line.  We may as well be running the wishbone.  Without the swing toss.

6 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

It is near impossibility with six inch spreads on the offensive line.  We may as well be running the wishbone.  Without the swing toss.

I meant through the air, but I would have liked to have seen some speed sweeps sprinkled in as well.

From what I can see there is no read option in our offense. Instead Stidham just hands off to the RB in the backfield with him.

I have to admit I was really torqued when Stidham signed with Auburn. I hate to say it but after two games Stidham is looking like JJ 2.0

2 hours ago, milehighfan said:

From what I can see there is no read option in our offense. Instead Stidham just hands off to the RB in the backfield with him.

I have to admit I was really torqued when Stidham signed with Auburn. I hate to say it but after two games Stidham is looking like JJ 2.0

He's been 'coached' by the same 'genius' as JJ, so what could we reasonably expect?  Only the Gus Busters expected anything different...

Let me begin by tipping my hat to one of the most spectacular defensive performances I have seen from Auburn in a long time. Coach Steele's bunch was motivated, inspired, and played violent high level defense. They were also fundamentally and schematically sound and well prepared.  

Now to Gus.  He is not a Power 5 coach.  In fact, neither are 2 or 3 other members of our offensive staff. At his presser, he made the same tired comments  "we've got to run the ball better" "protect better" etc., etc., etc.... To execute, you have to be schematically sound.  And our scheme is high school level.  Clemson was timing our snap count, and we did nothing to counter it.  Even after the first 4 or 5 sacks, we did nothing to change our protection package.  How many times did we check off at the line of scrimmage? ZERO by my count. Watching an aerial view of our offense provides the best evidence.  There were times we had 4 receivers blanketed 15 yards downfield, with not one underneath route.  And we never adjusted.  Clemson countered with Brent Venables, who wasn't coaching high school football 5 or 6 years ago.  He's been a D1 Power 5 Coordinator for many years, and it showed.

Not only was I frustrated at the offensive play (double entendre) , I lost respect for Gus last night for a different reason.  Gus tirelessly used KP as battering ram last night, in spite of him obviously being injured. He did so because of his insecurity and paranoia of putting in one of our other 3 four star RBs. Kam Martin and Malik Miller are not rookies, they are both in their third years at Auburn.  And he just told them he would rather play an injured player than trust them to make a play.  Some on this board will blame certain players.  I will not do that. The players are amateurs. The coaches are well paid professionals who are supposed to put players in a position to succeed.   Gus is not doing that.  

I love Auburn with all my heart and soul and will continue to cheer hard for this team  but I no longer support Gus.  He has given me no reason to think things will get better.  Kevin Steele and his staff are D1 Power 5 Coaches.  Gus and his offensive staff are not. 

4 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Don't worry, Gus already has it figured out. Auburn just has to run the ball better

Whew, that's a relief. Good thing Gus is on our side.

Oh he has all of it figured out according to his presser, no doubt. 

JMO but I figure KP was mostly in the game for pass blocking which even though hurt, he did fairly well.  Giving him the ball was a useless attempt at having some diversity in the offense.  

The RPO offense had no credible run option tonight.

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Let me begin by tipping my hat to one of the most spectacular defensive performances I have seen from Auburn in a long time. Coach Steele's bunch was motivated, inspired, and played violent high level defense. They were also fundamentally and schematically sound and well prepared.  

Now to Gus.  He is not a Power 5 coach.  In fact, neither are 2 or 3 other members of our offensive staff. At his presser, he made the same tired comments  "we've got to run the ball better" "protect better" etc., etc., etc.... To execute, you have to be schematically sound.  And our scheme is high school level.  Clemson was timing our snap count, and we did nothing to counter it.  Even after the first 4 or 5 sacks, we did nothing to change our protection package.  How many times did we check off at the line of scrimmage? ZERO by my count. Watching an aerial view of our offense provides the best evidence.  There were times we had 4 receivers blanketed 15 yards downfield, with not one underneath route.  And we never adjusted.  Clemson countered with Brent Venables, who wasn't coaching high school football 5 or 6 years ago.  He's been a D1 Power 5 Coordinator for many years, and it showed.

Not only was I frustrated at the offensive play (double entendre) , I lost respect for Gus last night for a different reason.  Gus tirelessly used KP as battering ram last night, in spite of him obviously being injured. He did so because of his insecurity and paranoia of putting in one of our other 3 four star RBs. Kam Martin and Malik Miller are not rookies, they are both in their third years at Auburn.  And he just told them he would rather play an injured player than trust them to make a play.  Some on this board will blame certain players.  I will not do that. The players are amateurs. The coaches are well paid professionals who are supposed to put players in a position to succeed.   Gus is not doing that.  

I love Auburn with all my heart and soul and will continue to cheer hard for this team  but I no longer support Gus.  He has given me no reason to think things will get better.  Kevin Steele and his staff are D1 Power 5 Coaches.  Gus and his offensive staff are not. 

Don't sugar coat it, how do you really feel?

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

When your down 8 in the 4th, DC's know you won't be running the ball. Play action passes just give the DL more time to get to the QB.  Just like tonight

YAH THINK??? NAIL MEET HAMMER...and the list of things that should be elementary to coaches, but not to Gus, keeps growing

37 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Agree with every single word here. Gus has proven beyond a doubt at this point that he is completely overmatched as a P5 head coach (if anyone had any doubts that abortion of a game plan on offense last night should finally end that). Until we have a new head coach (and, yes, a new AD that can make that hire) we will be having these discussions. Oh well, another season to suffer through knowing we have top-10 talent with a MickeyMouse coach. And, it's only September ?

8 hours ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Cam Newton and Nick Marshall.  That's how.  

Urban Meyer said Cam's best shot at making it in the NFL was as a tight end. Nick Marshall made it in the NFL is a fifth round draft pick defensive back. Gus did wonders with them. He didn't do it without at least some wide receiver play and very good O-line.

What is happening with our 4 star O-line and 4 star wideouts? 

4 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Urban Meyer said Cam's best shot at making it in the NFL was as a tight end. Nick Marshall made it in the NFL is a fifth round draft pick defensive back. Gus did wonders with them. He didn't do it without at least some wide receiver play and very good O-line.

Coaching.  As I've stated, Craig Meyers and Kyle Davis both should have had 100 yard receiving nights but the game plan was horrible as is WR coaching.  O-Line is coaching too.  We supposedly have so much O-line depth but the fact that Wilson Bell isn't starting is incomprehensible.  

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

Don't worry, Gus already has it figured out. Auburn just has to run the ball better

Whew, that's a relief. Good thing Gus is on our side.

All that means is the game next week will focus on running the ball, score 40+ points, call it a good day, and no work on the passing game. 

28 YARDS IN THE LAST 3 QUARTERS...

WORST OFF GAME IN HIS CAREER. 

11 SACKS

3-4 OF HIS WORST OFF PERFORMANCES ARE IN THE LAST 5 GAMES.

Problems werent Lashlee. They were Malzahn. 

No fire in him. NONE. He is done.

If we fired CGM today, and Let Steele run the rest of the season, i bet we open the O and finish no worse than 10-2.

Keep CGM, we are no better than 8-4

48 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

First NM wasn't drafted. Second of all those guys were dynamic and can make plays on the whim. I have come to the realization that CGM needs that to have a serious explosive offense. 

Archived