2nd and 3rd team

Win4AU

One thing I think will pay huge dividends is the amount of playing time our backups are getting against SEC talent.  For 3 straight games the 4th quarter has been there’s.  Malik Willis is getting something other Auburn quarterbacks haven’t had the opportunity to do in years.  I believe this will be the beginning of Auburn replacing talent with talent instead of rebuilding.

The youngins on D seem to be gaining valuable experience. It has also been good to see DBarrett, Noah, and others getting good snaps.  Overall, it has been good to see.  

Probably the most important back up/youngster is Malik Willis and I’ve been a little disappointed with the amount of “good” experience he’s been getting. 

I would have never thought we would have the kind of leads we’ve had on our SEC competition that we’ve had, so I’m grateful. But when we’re up by 30, I would like to see more Willis AND let him run the offense!

2 years of backup qb using the entire play clock, staring at the sidelines with a look of disgust, then handing it off is what I keep seeing.

4 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

2 years of backup qb using the entire play clock, staring at the sidelines with a look of disgust, then handing it off is what I keep seeing.

Agreed.  Give the kid some easy throws in mop up...at least 4 or 5 throws.  Loved watching him throw against Missouri.

The 2nd and 3rd team defensive players have been going against SEC starters the last few games. OM never took out the starters. They are getting real reps. 

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

The 2nd and 3rd team defensive players have been going against SEC starters the last few games. OM never took out the starters. They are getting real reps. 

This is true, but the O is a different story, especially against Ole Miss. Gus totally screws up O personel management and that has hurt us terribly in both 2015 and 2016.  Gus needs to take the head set off and stay out of the way on game days.

wde

3 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Sure.  It’d be bad coaching if Gus let Malik start throwing bombs with a 20+ point lead.  Big thing is getting used to the speed of the game.  Bryant for Clemson came into the season with a handful of throws in mop up duty and he’s done great.  Hopefully this team can continue taking care of business and get more reps against LSU, Arkansas, and ULM.  

I know we have a very small sample size but has anyone else been impressed with Devan Barrett?  He seems to show some real quickness and ability when we actually get to see him.  Would like to see more earlier in the game but being young I wonder if there are fumble issues. 

34 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I know we have a very small sample size but has anyone else been impressed with Devan Barrett?  He seems to show some real quickness and ability when we actually get to see him.  Would like to see more earlier in the game but being young I wonder if there are fumble issues. 

Yes. I have been quite impressed with him.

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Agreed.  Give the kid some easy throws in mop up...at least 4 or 5 throws.  Loved watching him throw against Missouri.

How bout give the kid the playbook, the entire playbook and let him play. Really my only complaint from Saturday. My fear is he doesn't know it and that would be on the coaches. JMO.

8 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Yes. I have been quite impressed with him.

Ditto

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

How bout give the kid the playbook, the entire playbook and let him play. Really my only complaint from Saturday. My fear is he doesn't know it and that would be on the coaches. JMO.

There has to be a reason to do this year after year. I'm baffled. I wish I knew. My theory is he likes to keep the lid on the back-up so there's no locker room controversy? About the only thing I can think of. Like you- the game was awesome, and I won't dwell on this past today- but there is nothing more valuable to a qb2 than real playing time. 

2 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

There has to be a reason to do this year after year. I'm baffled. I wish I knew. My theory is he likes to keep the lid on the back-up so there's no locker room controversy? About the only thing I can think of. Like you- the game was awesome, and I won't dwell on this past today- but there is nothing more valuable to a qb2 than real playing time. 

I think you give Gus too much credit. Obviously pre- planning, and forethought for an impending emergency is not his strong suit. If it was, he would have had Chip see if they could complete a TD pass from the red zone in the second half Saturday, instead of running that damn wildcat again.

1 minute ago, jAUSon said:

Appeared to me he was simply happy running clock. I thought he could have done that with MW particularly in the 4th quarter. Lots of coaches do it. Or maybe he was fearful of injury? But JS could have been injured as well right?

Look, I won't lose sleep over the decision, but I will voice concern. You know that right? ;D

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

I believe he has the skill set but he looks exactly what he is, a true freshman running back who needs time in the weight room. Putting him out there in critical situations is not fair to him or the team. 

3 minutes ago, creed said:

I believe he has the skill set but he looks exactly what he is, a true freshman running back who needs time in the weight room. Putting him out there in critical situations is not fair to him or the team. 

Well, maybe but we have seen true freshmen RB's succeed here at AU and other places. 

The defensive reserves are getting the most benefit in these games because they are going against the best effort from the opposition and better play well or get burned.  I hate comparing to Bama on anything, but what they are doing with their reserves breeds excellence when they become starters.  They are running the entire offense, passing and running. 

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Appeared to me he was simply happy running clock. I thought he could have done that with MW particularly in the 4th quarter. Lots of coaches do it. Or maybe he was fearful of injury? But JS could have been injured as well right?

Look, I won't lose sleep over the decision, but I will voice concern. You know that right? ;D

Don't I ever

Archived