Calvin Ashley

AuburnNTexas

He came in over weight and out of shape and as we have seen with the injuries this year we have pretty good depth on the O-Line especially with Golson being able to play any position on the line. I have no problem with red shirting Calvin this year to get him in shape to practice against one of the best D-Lines in the SEC this year. To get him ready to be a 3 or 4 year starter. My question is how has he progressed so far this year? Is he in shape and has he been a had worker?  

Potential is a great thing but without being in shape and putting in the sweat equity potential does not amount to a can of beans. I am hoping we have a LT or RT to go along with Prince next year or should I expect to see both Princes as starting tackles next year? 

I don't know any of the specifics with him but I can say with the injuries to the OL and him being a 5 star, I was disappointed he did not earn playing time. I hope he is not another Cowart. I have seen highly sought after 5 star OL players start on several occasions for some really good teams over the last 5 or 6 years.

Sammons or Ashley at RT next year.  However I think Ashley will be a guard in the NFL he can develop into a very solid OT in college.  That's the plan for now.  He's a true freshman.  Most good teams don't rely on true freshman OL regardless of how talented they might be.  Plus he did come in a little over weight and if I recall correctly got slightly banged up for a week or so in fall camp. 

Hope is not another Cowart. The recruit rankings tend to be stupid. If a 2 or 3 star is coached up, then that nullifies the star ranking. That makes an O lineman and a D lineman that may not pan out. Rankings are for crap. It's all about coaching. What about Roc? He still hasn't done that much at Jack State. We are in dire need of being in the mix for some special tailbacks. If our scouts don't recognize, then who will? 

17 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Thankfully Davidson and Brown have panned out. Five stars panning out at Auburn--crazy, right?

And Tre Williams, Carl Lawson, Mon Adams, and some JUCO guy named Newton. ? We've had a few successes. 

17 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

And Tre Williams, Carl Lawson, Mon Adams, and some JUCO guy named Newton. ? We've had a few successes. 

May be a little premature but let's not forget that kid name Stidham...

Having five star talent and being a success in D1 P5 football leave something out of the equation. To be a superstar in this league you really have to have a personality of wanting to compete against the best day in and day out. The difference in the really good players like Tre, Marlon, Brown, Lawson and the rest of those guys is they live for the game. They would play Alabama everyday. They want to go head to head against the very best opponents. They want to have to he game in their hands every play. It’s like gray golfers they would rather play the likes of Bethpaige Black or Saint Andrews in the rain. The harder the better they like it . That’s s what separate the really great from the pack.

I know a lot of people do not like Herb Hand, but I have been impressed with his work.  The exception would be the Clemson game of course.  Not many offensive line coaches can face the attrition we have faced this year and have the next guys coached up enough to step up and sometimes play positions they aren't supposed to.  4 different lineups this year and the 4th different lineup was the game we did not give up a sack.  I know the competition was not elite, but still.  Anyone that has played the offensive line knows that each position on the line is drastically different in the stance, motions, and what to do when the ball is snapped.

My biggest concern for the 2018 season was the offensive line with 4 potential starters gone, but I think we will have at least 3 guys that will be able to plug in and play.  Two guys I am interested to see is Austin Troxell and Nick Brahms.  I think they can be something special on top of Ashley.  

We have recruited well at the OL position and this should not be in debate that much. I love the 2 Prince OTs. They are both huge and mean dudes who will be able to flatten anyone in front of them starting next season. I would not be surprised though for Ashley to move into a guard spot likely the one B. Smith is in this year. The center position is my only concern for 2018 and one that we need to fill soon with enough talent to compliment the other OL positions.

• WarTiger changed the title to Calvin Ashley
On 10/25/2017 at 5:06 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Having five star talent and being a success in D1 P5 football leave something out of the equation. To be a superstar in this league you really have to have a personality of wanting to compete against the best day in and day out. The difference in the really good players like Tre, Marlon, Brown, Lawson and the rest of those guys is they live for the game. They would play Alabama everyday. They want to go head to head against the very best opponents. They want to have to he game in their hands every play. It’s like gray golfers they would rather play the likes of Bethpaige Black or Saint Andrews in the rain. The harder the better they like it . That’s s what separate the really great from the pack.

Too bad Gus doesn't share this mentality.

On October 25, 2017 at 9:14 PM, doc4aday said:

We have recruited well at the OL position and this should not be in debate that much. I love the 2 Prince OTs. They are both huge and mean dudes who will be able to flatten anyone in front of them starting next season. I would not be surprised though for Ashley to move into a guard spot likely the one B. Smith is in this year. The center position is my only concern for 2018 and one that we need to fill soon with enough talent to compliment the other OL positions.

Mean?  I am not so sure about that... Yet.  I think in fact that is what they are missing.  

11 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Mean?  I am not so sure about that... Yet.  I think in fact that is what they are missing.  

Give them time and you will see 2 mean dudes ready for action!

14 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Give them time and you will see 2 mean dudes ready for action!

tumblr_m90cfbuVke1rtl5zyo1_500.gif

Got to mentally get some hitting fuel!

On 10/24/2017 at 7:28 PM, Gowebb11 said:

There have been more busts than hits with the five stars for some reason, but guys like Brown are helping reverse that trend. Blackmon, Westerman, Diamond, Reed, Frazier, Greg Smith, Raven Gray, Kodi, Duke, Roc, Jovon, Cowart etc. 

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:31 PM, abw0004 said:

I know a lot of people do not like Herb Hand, but I have been impressed with his work.  The exception would be the Clemson game of course.  Not many offensive line coaches can face the attrition we have faced this year and have the next guys coached up enough to step up and sometimes play positions they aren't supposed to.  4 different lineups this year and the 4th different lineup was the game we did not give up a sack.  I know the competition was not elite, but still.  Anyone that has played the offensive line knows that each position on the line is drastically different in the stance, motions, and what to do when the ball is snapped.

My biggest concern for the 2018 season was the offensive line with 4 potential starters gone, but I think we will have at least 3 guys that will be able to plug in and play.  Two guys I am interested to see is Austin Troxell and Nick Brahms.  I think they can be something special on top of Ashley.  

I know Troxell had to have ACL surgery out of HS. I hope his injury is healed and he will not have this to deal with anymore.

3 hours ago, auol72 said:

the only OL issue for which we will not have experienced replacements are center. We can only hope that Brahms or Kaleb Kim can step up.

Kim has at least a little mop up experience at center, as I saw him in the Arkansas game near the end. I expect he will be our center next year.

not holding my breath for the oline next year. too many changes and inexperience. thats why i think it will be imperative to develop some sort of a short and intermediate passing game to help alleviate blocking concerns and keep the offense competitive.

2 hours ago, beaumak said:

not holding my breath for the oline next year. too many changes and inexperience. thats why i think it will be imperative to develop some sort of a short and intermediate passing game to help alleviate blocking concerns and keep the offense competitive.

Like Malzahn should have done against Clemson.

Archived