What does it take for our defense to become Elite

shabby

We're just not there yet. I'm absolutely thrilled by the performance of our defense. especially after 10 years of mediocrity.  But they are not an elite squad.. one that will put us in positions to win national championships unless we have a lights out offense. that's where I'd like to see our team. in a position where the defense scores points and we aren't dependent on our offense to score 30 points to win.  Bama doesn't need a great offense to win. I would love to get us to that level. I think we're on the right track building depth. But what is the next step to move us up to the next level. The Bama level. the level where we can win national champions ships with just an average offense. that's where I hope we are moving. 

I find it hard to complain about the defense when I think about what it used to be. As long as the offense can score and we don't have another LSU meltdown then the defense is good enough to win games. I'm worried about special teams though. Used to be a strong suit but no longer. That will lose a lot of close games. The bright spot of that is that Gus may stop playing for the FG and go for a first down on third down and long instead of a draw play like today. :angry: As far as elite not sure we can expect that but I'd settle for a more consistent secondary play. 

definitely not complaining. Just trying to articulate that I think we have the ability to transition to the next level. 

Was thinking today that our defense isn't near as good as what we thought earlier this season. However, we are light years better than where we used to be a few years back. 

1 minute ago, shabby said:

definitely not complaining. Just trying to articulate that I think we have the ability to transition to the next level. 

I didn't take it as you complaining. I knew what you meant. You're good. 

Depth, avoid injuries, better strength and conditioning.

5 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Depth, avoid injuries, better strength and conditioning.

all that yeah. recruiting and a couple more years. and hold on to Steele whatever it takes.

I am perfectly happy with where we are.  This year we took a major step forward in proving we would not drop off, and show that we are building quality depth.  Think of all of the true freshmen getting quality playing time.  Also, we are continuing to recruit at a high level, which I predict will only get better as recruits are seeing how we are developing 2-3* guys into elite defenders.  Look out.  The next few years will be fun!

Bama signs elite secondary players while AU gets good secondary players. That wouldn't solve the whole equation but it's surely a part of it. Look at our CB recruiting this year. Smoke Monday looks to be elite at the safety position but that's about it.

The backside of our defense needs to play better then they did today.

I was also disappointed in the linebacker play.  The secondary had issues but the LB's seemed to always be out of position. 

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I am perfectly happy with where we are.  This year we took a major step forward in proving we would not drop off, and show that we are building quality depth.  Think of all of the true freshmen getting quality playing time.  Also, we are continuing to recruit at a high level, which I predict will only get better as recruits are seeing how we are developing 2-3* guys into elite defenders.  Look out.  The next few years will be fun!

I am not happy where we are. Haven't been since Clemson last year. But my glass remains half full. Won't change either. 

I think we more depth in the secondary and quit changing secondary coaches every year so we can build the relationships necessary to bring in recruits. I think they are better than we have been for several years but the secondary still is our Achilles heel. Our d-line and linebackers are light years ahead of where we have been, just remember jake Holland.

Defense did not play as well today as they have been playing but A&M has some dangerous athletes.  Changing QB's gave them a boost.  If Mond had played the whole game they wouldn't have gone anywhere.  Our special teams are becoming the big concern.  Two blocked FG's and a kickoff return to our 30 gave them a lot more life than they would have had.  

I think the defense today was very deceptive......gave up a couple big plays with guys out of position but in general, they played well and stopped the Aggies twice near the goal line despite a questionable PI call.   Also keep in mind that TAMU had their starting QB available today for the first time since the UCLA game.   He was much more of a challenge than Mond would have been. JMO. 

If we start by not trying to compare ourselves to the bammers, our D is pretty solid despite injuries to some key players most of the year.  As someone noted, we just need more good players and some stability on the coaching staff. 

2 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

We need a CB coach. Our CBs have regressed under Brown... I'm very satisfied with his Safety coaching but CB coaching is lacking. 

Most of the stuff the DBs do aren't even things that you can fix fundamentally. Stephen Roberts will give up big play after big play because he finds himself out of position, but always running that mouth.  #24 is another one who just needs to take better angles and quit getting beat deep. He was getting beat deep in the Arkansas game. The other stuff is just miss tackles. The guys are there, they need to make the play when they are there though. This isn't the Ellis Johnson or Gene Chizik defense with no soul in sight on slants.

41 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Was thinking today that our defense isn't near as good as what we thought earlier this season. However, we are light years better than where we used to be a few years back. 

I think sometimes they play to the level of competition. They will like madmen next week. 

10 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

We need a CB coach. Our CBs have regressed under Brown... I'm very satisfied with his Safety coaching but CB coaching is lacking. 

I have actually been pleased with the cb play. They have been playing through receivers, using their hands and getting their heads around on balls.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Most of the stuff the DBs do aren't even things that you can fix fundamentally. Stephen Roberts will give up big play after big play because he finds himself out of position, but always running that mouth.  #24 is another one who just needs to take better angles and quit getting beat deep. He was getting beat deep in the Arkansas game. The other stuff is just miss tackles. The guys are there, they need to make the play when they are there though. This isn't the Ellis Johnson or Gene Chizik defense with no soul in sight on slants.

Yep....he's pretty quick to take credit for a good defensive play when in fact, the QB just threw a bad pass...

8 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I disagree. Our corners are playing much better than our safeties except Trey. Roberts plays the run well, but is out if position a lot. Thomas gives good effort, but is lost a lot and goes for the big hit. Peters is growing up, but is very young and raw

Archived