Arkansas wants Gus

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Doesn't JF have an astronomical buyout?  Like +$20million?

Texas sports. They don't care about that. They want to win and win now.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Beaker said:

You what sounds halfway plausible to me?

Les Miles to Ark.  I have not heard that, just sharing a thought.   He knows LA and S TX and it would be much better than any other offer he has had.  I am hearing Oregon St.  

Not plausible at all unless they want to alienate their fanbase much more.

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Right. Hard to sell Arkansas to everyone on staff other than Herb Hand and Kodi Burns (mainly because those 2 guys would probably not get picked up by top Power 5 programs) to jump ship from Auburn to goto Arky where it's harder to win and likely get paid less. Why would any of our defensive staff want to do that? 

I don't think it's about the money for Gus. He's taken steps down multiple times before in the name of control. That's where his heart is, IMO. And Arky may just hand over all control to him.

I really do not see Gus suffering from a lack of control here.  If he did not have control, that 2016 Clemson game plan would have never seen the light of day, Cox would never have taken a snap, and Sean White would have been taking all of the snaps in the second half.  He has obviously had freedom in hiring assistants.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

I really do not see Gus suffering from a lack of control here.  If he did not have control, that 2016 Clemson game plan would have never seen the light of day, Cox would never have taken a snap, and Sean White would have been taking all of the snaps in the second half.  He has obviously had freedom in hiring assistants.

He didn't have control this year. Doubt he wanted to rid himself of Rhett Lashlee or playcalling duties. I am almost questioning if he honestly wanted CCL to begin with. There were some indicators that he was vying for KB from the insiders but was shot down. He also has had his feet held to the fire this year for a handful of games. Do not know how much he likes that.

5 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Refer to @DAG's reply.

I don't think he would've given up playcalling duties if it was not told to him PTB to let someone else call plays and have Gus learn to be the head coach.

I also think that Clemson game you mention and following TAMU game was what made the PTB tell him give up control. And I doubt he likes that very much.

And hey, maybe he looks more relaxed because he knows he's leaving lol. 

And I can't say I blame either party for the way that they feel. I can't blame the Auburn fanbase for wanting consistency and I can't blame Gus for wanting it either. I imagine it has taken its toll on his family. To be fair, Gus has helped AU turn a corner. Now we are at a point where we are ready for the next step. I hope it is Gus to lead us there, but I do want to be cautious of completely downplaying these rumors. CGM has a history and foundation in Arkansas. Not just from a football perspective but also family.

i really hope auburn calls this bluff.  and if gus really wants to go to arky, show him the door.  auburn, and others, have played sexton's games for far too long.

Just now, Tiger said:

Refer to @DAG's reply.

I don't think he would've given up playcalling duties if it was not told to him PTB to let someone else call plays and have Gus learn to be the head coach.

I also think that Clemson game you mention and following TAMU game was what made the PTB tell him give up control. And I doubt he likes that very much.

And hey, maybe he looks more relaxed because he knows he's leaving lol. 

I was referring more to when he arrived, as it would be if he was going elsewhere.  Any lack of control that presently exists is a situation he brought on himself, so he cannot claim suffering.  Suffering was the key word.  If he does the things he has done here, anywhere else, I suspect they react the same (Arkansas included).

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

I was referring more to when he arrived, as it would be if he was going elsewhere.  Any lack of control that presently exists is a situation he brought on himself, so he cannot claim suffering.  Suffering was the key word.  If he does the things he has done here, anywhere else, I suspect they react the same (Arkansas included).

You're absolutely right. His own under-performing was the reason he was told to loosen up control and let assistants coach. I had said in another thread (or maybe this one?) that if he leaves because of this type of thing (pressure from PTB, having to give up control, alums, former players, and fans being down on him for 7 and 8 win seasons) then he's just not the right man for the job at AU. Because all of those criticisms were things that he brought onto himself. If he sees himself as a 7 or 8 win coach, maybe Arky is the place for him because that is not sup-par for their standards.

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

He didn't have control this year. Doubt he wanted to rid himself of Rhett Lashlee or playcalling duties. I am almost questioning if he honestly wanted CCL to begin with. There were some indicators that he was vying for KB from the insiders but was shot down. He also has had his feet held to the fire this year for a handful of games. Do not know how much he likes that.

Which roughly means CGM is/was leading us to 6 losses this year, and the turnaround is/was constructed by the front office? God I hope it isn't true. I'm 100% without an opinion on CGM anymore. There is blame somewhere- because this team should be undefeated. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

I am in the camp that sees this as Jimmy Sexton's handy work. Nothing more or less. 

8 minutes ago, WarTim said:

I am in the camp that sees this as Jimmy Sexton's handy work. Nothing more or less. 

I agree. This has a lot of the "Saban to Texas" markings. If Gus really wants to go then it probably doesn't matter how much we offer him. If he is just using this as leverage, then we simply need to hold our ground and make him produce more results first. One good win against UGA isn't enough IMO.

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

You're absolutely right. His own under-performing was the reason he was told to loosen up control and let assistants coach. I had said in another thread (or maybe this one?) that if he leaves because of this type of thing (pressure from PTB, having to give up control, alums, former players, and fans being down on him for 7 and 8 win seasons) then he's just not the right man for the job at AU. Because all of those criticisms were things that he brought onto himself. If he sees himself as a 7 or 8 win coach, maybe Arky is the place for him because that is not sup-par for their standards.

When you have Titan starting a thread named "Fire Him Now", in the middle of the season, then you have obviously been doing something very wrong.

I can definitely understand how he might be annoyed at having his hand forced, relative to replacing an assistant and stepping back on the playcalling.  That said, he has a serious problem if he cannot also understand and accept why it occurred.  I am cautiously optimistic, but not yet convinced that he has.

If I were Arkansas, and have been paying attention, I would be just as concerned as Auburn was.

20 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I agree. This has a lot of the "Saban to Texas" markings. If Gus really wants to go then it probably doesn't matter how much we offer him. If he is just using this as leverage, then we simply need to hold our ground and make him produce more results first. One good win against UGA isn't enough IMO.

Wasn’t Tommy going to Arkansas too around 2007-2008 time period?  He’s from there, has family, loves to duck hunt there etc

16 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Wasn’t Tommy going to Arkansas too around 2007-2008 time period?  He’s from there, has family, loves to duck hunt there etc

i thought that was a yearly rumor with him going to Arkansas  

50 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Which roughly means CGM is/was leading us to 6 losses this year, and the turnaround is/was constructed by the front office? God I hope it isn't true. I'm 100% without an opinion on CGM anymore. There is blame somewhere- because this team should be undefeated. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

Well, you got to give CGM credit. He did ultimately vetted for coach Lindsey. He set the moving parts to get JS him. He also hired the right people to get the defense to the standard that we want. Plus, the team has still fought hard. All I am saying is, he has had to deal with circumstances a little similar to Houston Nutt and his time with Gene Chizik. I think it would be super risky for him to leave for Arkansas, but I can understand why there would be a unique appeal for him/

It's not just Gus that Arky wants, they would take just about anybody to get rid of that train wreck of a coach they have turning their program into a dumpster fire.   It would look worse but the weak sisters in the SEC weak division (Tennessee and Florida) look so so bad.   

On the upside with all the coaching changes at UT, Ole Miss, UF, and maybe TAM, there will be lots of assistant coaches that may be worth hiring.

Arky hasn't  had decent coaches since old Lou Holtz and Ken Hatfield left 40 and 30 years ago.  

1 hour ago, WarTim said:

It's either that or it's a load of crap created by the REC driven media trying to create distractions.

With the potential of the season in front of him, I bet Gus isn't even taking Sexton's calls right now, but Jimmy gets paid by new contracts, so he wants people to move around, get extensions, etc.

I hope this isn't true and if not I think Gus really needs to strongly get out in front of this thing. But if it IS true, AU doesn't need to cow down to anyone. I think we'd still be in a very good position to hire a great coach. With all the talent there, and we can't be accused of pressuring because he would have left of his own will, what coaches wouldn't jump at the opportunity? 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Has nothing to do with Bama. Please stop with that nonsense. It is Mike Irwin and the Arkansas media pushing the narrative.

Referring to Finebaum and that corpse Danny Sheridan.  Of course AL.com and the rest ran with it. 

5 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Gus & staff haven't looked so objectively appealing in an Auburn way since 2013 and the timing of this conversation - right after beating #1 and 8 days before playing #1 again to get into our conf title game - is bizarre. Even if Malzahn loses to La - Monroe & gets punked by Bama & our bowl opponent there would still be a dozen Arky-situation programs interested in him. If he beats or even barely loses to #1 Bama, Arky is not going to outbid/out-attract Auburn for our current coach. Of course they want him after their parade of head coaching trainwrecks.

Neah.  The timing is PREDICTABLE.  :zapbama:

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Has nothing to do with Bama. Please stop with that nonsense. It is Mike Irwin and the Arkansas media pushing the narrative.

Don't tell me you haven't noticed bama's #1 shill Danny Sheridan has been all over the sports talk circuit with every BS story he can make up about Gus since the Georgia game.

All other reporters - "Gus is no longer on the hot seat".

Sheridan - "Gus has to beat bama or he will be fired", which then became - "If Gus loses to bama, he'll go to Arkansas". 

I have no doubt that this started with the NW Arkansas boosters, but don't think that the REC isn't going to run with it. That's how they play... find any way to get an extra edge by distracting their bigger opponents. This year, they have no real dirt in easy access, so they will take whatever they can get.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Don't tell me you haven't noticed bama's #1 shill Danny Sheridan has been all over the sports talk circuit with every BS story he can make up about Gus since the Georgia game.

All other reporters - "Gus is no longer on the hot seat".

Sheridan - "Gus has to beat bama or he will be fired", which then became - "If Gus loses to bama, he'll go to Arkansas". 

I have no doubt that this started with the NW Arkansas boosters, but don't think that the REC isn't going to run with it. That's how they play... find any way to get an extra edge by distracting their bigger opponents. This year, they have no real dirt in easy access, so they will take whatever they can get.

Danny Sheridan is an idiot. Nobody takes him seriously. The Arkansas reporters such as Mike Irwin is a different story. 

Archived