AU Early NSD (Signees Are In Orange In The OP)

aujeff11

There will be updates on this thread once the commits sign along with gifs galore and NC predictions in celebration. 

***AU COMMITS EXPECTED TO SIGN WEDNESDAY***

Names in Orange have signed their NLIs.

-Joey Gatewood, QB, St. Johns (Fla.) Bartram Trail: EE

-Mike Harris, LB, Tucker (Ga.)

-Shedrick Jackson, WR, Hoover (Ala.) EE

-Josh Marsh, ATH, Decatur (Ala.) EE

-Asa Martin, RB, Decatur (Ala.) Austin EE

-Zakoby McClain, LB, Valosta (Ga.)

-Daquan Newkirk, DT, Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College EE

-Kayode Oladele, DE, Hialeah (Fla) Champagnat

-Shaun Shivers, RB, Hollywood (Fla.) Chaminade-Madonna

-Kameron Stutts, OL, Killen (Ala.) Brooks

-Christian Tutt, DB, Thomson (Ga.) EE

-Seth Williams, WR, Cottondale (Ala.) Bryant

-Jalil Irvin, OL, Stone Mountain (Ga.) Stephenson

-Quindarious Monday, S: Moved in over the weekend. EE

-Jamien Sherwood, S, Jensen Beach (Fla.): Arrives in January. EE

***AU COMMITS WHO PLAN TO SIGN IN FEBRUARY***

-Matthew Hill, WR, Snellville (Ga.) Brookwood

-Coynis Miller, DT, Birmingham (Ala.) Jackson-Olin

-Richard Jibunor, LB, Athens Christian (Ga.)

-Kolbi Fuqua, S, Cordova (Ala.)

-Arryn Siposs, P, ProKick Australia

Edited by ellitor
  • Thanks 2

Good write up from Ben Wolk

Which Auburn commits plan to sign/enroll early?

Let me begin with the obligatory disclaimer: This is all subject to change in short order.

It’s that time of year when craziness ensues. But it’s also the first time we’ve encountered this early signing period, so there isn’t much intel to fall back on to see how recruits and coaches will use this designated signing period to their own benefit. I’ve had two sources indicate the potential of some class attrition, but those conversations didn’t get into specific prospects or reasons why. That’s not what this piece is about, and now isn’t the time to get into those details.

So for the sake of this conversation, we’ll break it down based on what each prospect has told SEC Country regarding their respective plans going forward. Some prospects want the process to end sooner rather than later, so they’ll sign. Others would rather just utilize the February signing day to save themselves from any potential risk, whatever that may be.

Auburn wants as many guys to sign early as possible. It allows for the school to use time and resources more specifically in January than in previous years. With that said, the Tigers are also amid a numbers crunch as referenced above and that could affect how many spots they attempt to fill from Dec. 20-22 as opposed to waiting through January to see how other decisions play out.

As of now:

• Auburn commits who plan to sign early: 15 of 18
  • Tigers commits who plan to enroll early: 8 of 18

Player 247Sports Composite rank Sign early? Enroll early?
4-star WR Matthew Hill No. 20 WR No No
4-star QB Joey Gatewood No. 3 ATH Yes Yes
4-star DT Coynis Miller No. 13 DT No No
4-star WR Seth Williams No. 33 WR Yes No
4-star LB Zakoby McClain No. 13 OLB Yes No
4-star S Quindarious Monday No. 9 ATH Yes Yes
4-star RB Asa Martin No. 9 RB Yes Yes
4-star CB Christian Tutt No. 25 CB Yes Yes
4-star S Jamien Sherwood No. 20 S Yes Yes
4-star LB Michael Harris No. 13 ILB Yes No
4-star LB Richard Jibunor No. 12 ATH Yes No
4-star RB Shaun Shivers No. 8 APB Yes No
4-star OL Jalil Irvin No. 17 OG Yes No
3-star DL Daquan Newkirk No. 1 SDE (JUCO) Yes Yes
3-star WR Shedrick Jackson No. 74 WR Yes Yes
3-star S Kolbi Fuqua No. 41 ATH No No
3-star OL Kam Stutts No. 62 OT Yes No
3-star ATH Josh Marsh No. 84 OLB Yes Yes

It’s worth noting there are a handful of other Auburn targets who will enroll or sign early. The Tigers aren’t guaranteed to land these prospects in their Class of 2018, but here are the remaining targets who could also hop on campus in January, or at least put pen to paper. Again, this list is subject to change and likely will grow rapidly as junior college evaluations come in.

• 4-star QB Emory Jones
  • 4-star TE Luke Ford
  • 3-star OL Jerome Carvin
  • 3-star JUCO OL Noah Banks
Edited by ellitor
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Can you not sign early but still enroll early?

Yes if there is room under a teams 85 total limit. A recruit doesn't have to sign a NLI if they don't want to. They can just enroll & start classes at the appropriate time & be counted the same just as January high school enrollees have done for many years before now.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Roos said:

If truly committed why are the 3 not signing early?

They don't have to. You never know what changes are made or coaches shifted around. I wouldn't sign early if I was a recruit.

4 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

So who are the attritionable (?) prospects?

That's a question for Wolk. AU hasn't done that in a long time without some kind of coaching  change with a new coach wanting to go in a different direction.

This is shaping up to be an excellent class. How many can we sign for this class?  Do we have any potential 5 star recruits that we have a good chance of signing ?  Do not get me wrong, with as many 4 star players coming to Auburn, we should be a top 10 class. I hope we can stay with UGA and not let them get too far ahead. We had a very good 2017 class, but UGA out did us by a good deal.

We need to keep the talent pool rich like we have in the past. Now that Gus is here for the long term, we can guarantee recruits that the staff will be here throughout their time at Auburn. The players love Gus and will go to battle for him with the drop of the hat. We have all of the right stuff to be a force in the conference and make the state of Alabama the crucible for all other teams trying to win their division and conference championship.

Edited by doc4aday

22 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

How many can we sign for this class?

23 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Do we have any potential 5 star recruits that we have a good chance of signing ?

No

35 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No

Thanks....I will take a boat load of 4 star players any day of the week. Do you think we will finish in the top 5?  I hate being out recruited by UGA, LSU, and bammer of course. We do well enough to keep the cupboard stocked well. I love recruiting in that it keeps my football fix between bowl games and NLI date. You do a super job of keeping us informed with out recruiting efforts.

Do you think we will pick up any Ole Miss players?

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Matthew Hill, Coynis Miller, and Jalil Irving....:poke:knuckleheads!

wait what?!?! Irvin has been one of our most loyal and vocal recruits! I am shocked he is not signing early.

Matthew Hill, Coynis Miller, and Jalil Irving. Those three are each a big part of the picture for this class. I hope there's not something amiss with any of the three.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Do you think we will finish in the top 5?

No. We don't finish in the top 5 often.

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Do you think we will pick up any Ole Miss players?

No.

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

wait what?!?! Irvin has been one of our most loyal and vocal recruits! I am shocked he is not signing early.

He's said & maintained from the day he committed he likely wasn't signing early. Wanted to feel the new process out.

What is the biggest need on the defensive side of the ball for 2018? It looks like we are meeting some needs on both sides of the ball, but I was wondering what is our biggest need on the defensive side of the ball. I appreciate any information and pay a special thanks to Ellitor for all of your hard work giving us the recruiting information we are all very interested in!

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Safely

Are we looking at any juco safeties and CBs?  Thanks!!