Nice Move, Dick's Sporting Goods

RunInRed

So, to play a little devil's advocate... Are the decisions by Dick's and Walmart not a violation of rights or age discrimination?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, The Freak said:

So, to play a little devil's advocate... Are the decisions by Dick's and Walmart not a violation of rights or age discrimination?

Is 21 year old drinking age? 25 year old car rental requirement? Where does the Constitution cite age for any right other than elective office qualifications?

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It was a corporation making a decision about its relationship with a lobbying group.

As for Amazon, you're half right. They won't pass over Georgia because of its irresponsible gun laws. Those already exist and aren't going anywhere. They're part of the package, though.

But you resort to calling  Georgians rednecks. You are like Hillary who called those who disagree wit her "deplorables".

I'm not saying ATL/GA holds any cards, but Atlanta handles about 50% of their regional volume, it's a ton of flights...

If you gauge domestic flights, it's #1, international is another story, but the volume huge.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Is 21 year old drinking age? 25 year old car rental requirement? Where does the Constitution cite age for any right other than elective office qualifications?

Yep , you can discriminate against young males about all you want.  Law has lots of protected classes ...women, minorities, mothers, older people etc but they are pretty well called out.  And car rental company can charge a premium if you are over 75.

Ok, considering renaming this thread the "Political and Corporate Resistance/Push-back  to AR's" thread.

It's a tad derailed (guilty as charged myself), but it fits better. Any comments or better suggestions before this happens? I'm open.

11 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

Ok, considering renaming this thread the "Political and Corporate Resistance/Push-back  to AR's" thread.

It's a tad derailed (guilty as charged myself), but it fits better. Any comments or better suggestions before this happens? I'm open.

Let it continue as is.  Just the natural evolution of the conversation.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Let it continue as is.  Just the natural evolution of the conversation.

That may well be, but the description doesn't fit the topic, as it's evolved. We have enough of that elsewhere... Even for this forum.

9 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

But you resort to calling  Georgians rednecks. You are like Hillary who called those who disagree wit her "deplorables".

Well, a lot of Georgians are rednecks, chief among them the half-wits in the capitol. Lived in Atlanta for 11 years. Still work in Georgia. Lots of rednecks.

Live in South Carolina now. Lots of rednecks.

Moved to Georgia from Alabama. Lots of rednecks.

Took a vacation to Maine. Lots of rednecks.

Spent a summer in Montana. Lots of rednecks.

Don't be so sensitive. Speaking of, Hillary didn't call people who disagree with her deplorables. She called Trump voters deplorables. You can tell yourself that somebody called you a name just because you disagree with them to make yourself feel better, but I assure you it's not true. 

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Speaking of, Hillary didn't call people who disagree with her deplorables. She called Trump voters deplorables. 

To be even more specific, she didn't even call all Trump voters/supporters that.  Her actual quote:

"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?  They’re racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic — Islamophobic — you name it. And unfortunately, there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people — now have 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks — they are irredeemable, but thankfully, they are not America.

"But the "other" basket — the other basket — and I know because I look at this crowd I see friends from all over America here: I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas and — as well as, you know, New York and California — but that "other" basket of people are people who feel the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures; and they’re just desperate for change. It doesn’t really even matter where it comes from. They don’t buy everything he says, but — he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won’t wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they’re in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well."

So first, the "basket of deplorables" phrase was aimed at 'half' of Trump's supporters.  But she goes further and actually says the opposite of what Proud implies.  She says there is another "basket" that makes up Trump's supporters and they are not deplorables, but rather people who for various reasons feel ignored, left behind and are just desperate for change and even though they don't buy everything he says, they just hope he'll be that catalyst for change they want to see.

46 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

To be even more specific, she didn't even call all Trump voters/supporters that.  Her actual quote:

"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?  They’re racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic — Islamophobic — you name it. And unfortunately, there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people — now have 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks — they are irredeemable, but thankfully, they are not America.

"But the "other" basket — the other basket — and I know because I look at this crowd I see friends from all over America here: I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas and — as well as, you know, New York and California — but that "other" basket of people are people who feel the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures; and they’re just desperate for change. It doesn’t really even matter where it comes from. They don’t buy everything he says, but — he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won’t wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they’re in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well."

So first, the "basket of deplorables" phrase was aimed at 'half' of Trump's supporters.  But she goes further and actually says the opposite of what Proud implies.  She says there is another "basket" that makes up Trump's supporters and they are not deplorables, but rather people who for various reasons feel ignored, left behind and are just desperate for change and even though they don't buy everything he says, they just hope he'll be that catalyst for change they want to see.

Careful Titan, it's your proclivity for facts that gets you labeled as a 'liberal'.    ;D

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Huh. I wonder why somebody like Proud would choose to put himself in that first basket. 

11 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Those ages are both made legal through the law.  Walmart and Dick's are outside of that currently. 

I am sure the ACLU will be all over it, though.  Nothing to fear.

2 hours ago, The Freak said:

Those ages are both made legal through the law.  Walmart and Dick's are outside of that currently. 

I am sure the ACLU will be all over it, though.  Nothing to fear.

Outside of what law? What law sets gun purchasing younger than beer purchasing? What Constitutional provision sets age for gun sales? What legislation? 

18 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

To expound on this, we limit rights every day in this country.

Yes we do and it is a slippery slope when start letting our rights be taken without a fight. Before you know it we will be living under a dictator like little rocketman.

13 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Yes we do and it is a slippery slope when start letting our rights be taken without a fight. Before you know it we will be living under a dictator like little rocketman.

The slippery slope argument is a fallacy of reasoning (as taught to me by professors at AU).  There's no evidence anywhere that suggests we're on that path with anything mentioned above.  You still have the right to free speech and to criticize your government.  Courts have upheld that numerous times.  You still can vote without incident if you aren't a felon.  You willingly give up your right to unreasonable search every time you go through an airport, but cops aren't kicking your door in or stopping you on the street.  And here, no one of any seriousness is talking about taking away guns completely.

Mkay, well I'm a tad confused by this little nugget:

Florida school shooter’s AR-15 may have jammed, saving lives, report says

Several state legislators who visited the school with crime-scene investigators said they learned from police that Cruz’s rifle was not top-of-the-line, perhaps explaining the malfunction.

The “weapon and bullets were not high quality and were breaking apart,” one of the legislators, state Sen. Lauren Book, D-Plantation, told the Herald.

Cruz went in with only 10-round magazines because larger clips would not fit in his duffel bag, Book said.

I mean, most rifles ship with 20 round magazines. I can see maybe having a 10 round mag in the mag-well to get it to fit in a bag, but the 20 round magazines aren't really any taller than the weapon itself, as a matter of fact, a 20 round magazine doesn't even hang lower than the pistol grip when inserted in the mag-well... Or maybe he was really bad at packing stuff?

As for this: “weapon and bullets were not high quality and were breaking apart,” Huh? Well, alrighty then, I'll chalk that up to a state senator that really comes off sounding a bit clueless regarding firearms.

Edit:

Here is one of my AR pistols, the 20 round magazine is actually shorter than the pistol grip

ar_p_small.jpg

2 hours ago, stoic-one said:

Mkay, well I'm a tad confused by this little nugget:

Florida school shooter’s AR-15 may have jammed, saving lives, report says

I mean, most rifles ship with 20 round magazines. I can see maybe having a 10 round mag in the mag-well to get it to fit in a bag, but the 20 round magazines aren't really any taller than the weapon itself, as a matter of fact, a 20 round magazine doesn't even hang lower than the pistol grip when inserted in the mag-well... Or maybe he was really bad at packing stuff?

As for this: “weapon and bullets were not high quality and were breaking apart,” Huh? Well, alrighty then, I'll chalk that up to a state senator that really comes off sounding a bit clueless regarding firearms.

Edit:

Here is one of my AR pistols, the 20 round magazine is actually shorter than the pistol grip

ar_p_small.jpg

An AR jamming?  I have never heard of such nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

An AR jamming?  I have never heard of such nonsense.

Yeah, who'd a thunk that?  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

Yeah, who'd a thunk that?  :rolleyes:

As a more serious response, I have noticed others at the range I visit most experiencing what I consider an unusual amount of malfunctions with cheap AR's.  I tend to suspect it is either the cost-cutting necessary for the price point, a lack of maintenance by the owner, or a combination of both.  While it is nothing more than a hunch, I think Cruz was probably the kind of guy that spent more time taking pictures of firearms and ranting online than he did maintaining them.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

The slippery slope argument is a fallacy of reasoning (as taught to me by professors at AU).  There's no evidence anywhere that suggests we're on that path with anything mentioned above.  You still have the right to free speech and to criticize your government.  Courts have upheld that numerous times.  You still can vote without incident if you aren't a felon.  You willingly give up your right to unreasonable search every time you go through an airport, but cops aren't kicking your door in or stopping you on the street.  And here, no one of any seriousness is talking about taking away guns completely.

Well there you go if some lib prof. said it, it must be so. You win congrats to you.

31 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

As a more serious response, I have noticed others at the range I visit most experiencing what I consider an unusual amount of malfunctions with cheap AR's.  I tend to suspect it is either the cost-cutting necessary for the price point, a lack of maintenance by the owner, or a combination of both.  While it is nothing more than a hunch, I think Cruz was probably the kind of guy that spent more time taking pictures of firearms and ranting online than he did maintaining them.

Cant disagree about the picture part, at all.

Generally, and you probably know this, magazine fed weapons can have several different issues, but by far the most common AR malfunction (assuming someone hasn't tinkered with the buffer or failed to properly clean/lube it) is a magazine induced failure to feed (FTF). And it's usually attributable to crappy cheap magazines. Next down the line is cheap ammo. FTR, though, here is an image of what is basically M193 ball ammo, that he posted on Instagram. Not high end, but not total crap. At least not if that MV spec is correct.

fl_ammo.jpg

45 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Well there you go if some lib prof. said it, it must be so. You win congrats to you.

Yeah, how dare we listen to educated people at one of the most conservative public universities in the country!  In fact, let's stop listening to every expert in their field while we're at it.

Rocket scientists?  Screw you!  You don't know a damn thing about space travel!

Doctors?  That book learnin' ain't teach you anything you can't find from a good ole fashion smack upside the head!

Computer Code Writers?  Like you've ever done anything of significance!

You want some real learnin'?  ALEX JONES BABY!

(If you haven't figured it out, I'm basically calling you an idiot for advocating for the dumbing down of America, which is exactly what you're doing here.)

Well, this is, ummm, interesting.

2hGQWuJ.png

For the record, I'm an NRA Benefactor member, fly Delta all the time, and never knew there was a discount. Apparently I just wasn't paying attention, me and 5+ million others...

33 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

Well, this is, ummm, interesting.

2hGQWuJ.png

For the record, I'm an NRA Benefactor member, fly Delta all the time, and never knew there was a discount. Apparently I just wasn't paying attention, me and 5+ million others...

Amazing.

Archived