Self pardon?

HVAU

19 hours ago, Grumps said:

Trump says things to get gullible people riled up. It is a pathetic thing to do- as is getting riled up every time he does it.

No, no no.  :no:

Fortunately, we live in a country with a constitution that allows people to get "riled up" about what their leaders say.

We have seen what happens when such a freedom is not supported by a constitution or the government.  (See Nazi Germany.)

Getting "riled up" over what the president says is hardly "pathetic" - just the opposite, it's a patriotic duty to those who value our freedom.

43 minutes ago, homersapien said:

No, no no.  :no:

Fortunately, we live in a country with a constitution that allows people to get "riled up" about what their leaders say.

We have seen what happens when such a freedom is not supported by a constitution or the government.  (See Nazi Germany.)

Getting "riled up" over what the president says is hardly "pathetic" - just the opposite, it's a patriotic duty to those who value our freedom.

You don't really think that I was commenting on the constitutionality of responding to what the POTUS  says. You just couldn't think of anything clever to say. You can do better!

But, just to clarify, I think you have a Constitutionally protected right to get upset every time Trump pulls your strings.

2 hours ago, Grumps said:

You don't really think that I was commenting on the constitutionality of responding to what the POTUS  says. You just couldn't think of anything clever to say. You can do better!

But, just to clarify, I think you have a Constitutionally protected right to get upset every time Trump pulls your strings.

No, of course not.  (Nice try to redirect though)

"It is a pathetic thing to do- as is getting riled up every time he does it."

I think you were making light of (ridculing) people who get "riled up" about what president Trump says, by calling them pathetic.    

And I wasn't trying to be "clever" I was making a straight forward response.

And I sure as hell don't need your blessing to enjoy my constitutional rights, just as you don't need mine to revere Trump.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

No, of course not.  (Nice try to redirect though)

"It is a pathetic thing to do- as is getting riled up every time he does it."

I think you were making light of (ridculing) people who get "riled up" about what president Trump says, by calling them pathetic.    

And I wasn't trying to be "clever" I was making a straight forward response.

And I sure as hell don't need your blessing to enjoy my constitutional rights, just as you don't need mine to revere Trump.

I think you know this, but I will say it more clearly. Trump acts like a little child quite often. He says things that only immature people say. He says many of these things just to see how people will respond. I think it is pathetic when people KEEP ON acting surprised when Trump acts like a child. He is not going to stop. I can accept the fact that Trump is going to say stupid things even though I don't like it. I choose to only get upset when he DOES stupid things. Do you really think that Trump can pardon himself? I think the idea of it is silly. I certainly hope I am not wrong. If that is revering Trump then I revere him.

And, for the record, I think it is possible to react in a pathetic manner without being a pathetic person.

21 hours ago, Grumps said:

I think you know this, but I will say it more clearly. Trump acts like a little child quite often. He says things that only immature people say. He says many of these things just to see how people will respond. I think it is pathetic when people KEEP ON acting surprised when Trump acts like a child. He is not going to stop. I can accept the fact that Trump is going to say stupid things even though I don't like it. I choose to only get upset when he DOES stupid things. Do you really think that Trump can pardon himself? I think the idea of it is silly. I certainly hope I am not wrong. If that is revering Trump then I revere him.

And, for the record, I think it is possible to react in a pathetic manner without being a pathetic person.

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"

You'll just have to excuse me if I feel a duty to speak out about this narcissistic buffoon who  would be dictator, even if you don't.  And I don't see how ignoring or dismissing his statements as inconsequential simply because he is a narcissistic buffoon is a responsible or rational response.

After all, he is undeniably the POTUS.    You may be content to sit back and accept he's made a mockery of the office, but I refuse to accept it.  

But to answer your question, the issue here is whether or not Trump thinks he can pardon himself, not if I  believe he can, which I don't.  

I think it is completely appropriate to speak out against every single asinine thing that Trump says. I just think that at some point people would quit being surprised. I agree that in some ways he is making a mockery of the office, but I don't know how to accept it or not accept it.  Maybe there needs to be a universal acronym JPABPA - Just Pres AHole Being Pres AHole.

To me the issue is whether or not Trump CAN pardon himself, not whether he thinks he can. 

5 hours ago, Grumps said:

I think it is completely appropriate to speak out against every single asinine thing that Trump says. I just think that at some point people would quit being surprised. I agree that in some ways he is making a mockery of the office, but I don't know how to accept it or not accept it.  Maybe there needs to be a universal acronym JPABPA - Just Pres AHole Being Pres AHole.

To me the issue is whether or not Trump CAN pardon himself, not whether he thinks he can. 

In other words, relax and accept this as the new norm.  Sorry, I cannot do that. 

If you see that as my problem, I'll take it.

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

In other words, relax and accept this as the new norm.  Sorry, I cannot do that. 

If you see that as my problem, I'll take it.

This is intended to be a serious question: what does "accept this" and what would "not accept this" mean when it comes to Trump. I certainly don't like his actions, but I don't know how not to "accept" them.

2 minutes ago, Grumps said:

This is intended to be a serious question: what does "accept this" and what would "not accept this" mean when it comes to Trump. I certainly don't like his actions, but I don't know how not to "accept" them.

Anyone who disparages vigorous opposition and declines to speak out themselves, is "accepting it", wheras actively expressing opposition is "not accepting".

Geez, this isn't that complicated. 

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Anyone who disparages vigorous opposition and declines to speak out themselves, is "accepting it", wheras actively expressing opposition is "not accepting".

Geez, this isn't that complicated. 

So if I say on this message board that I don't like his actions then am I "not accepting" it? I realize that I may come across as trying to play dumb but defining things like "not accepting Trump" and "supporting" Trump and "celebrating" Trump are not very clear. Sometimes it seems like not hating Trump is being called the same thing as supporting him.

3 minutes ago, Grumps said:

So if I say on this message board that I don't like his actions then am I "not accepting" it? I realize that I may come across as trying to play dumb but defining things like "not accepting Trump" and "supporting" Trump and "celebrating" Trump are not very clear. Sometimes it seems like not hating Trump is being called the same thing as supporting him.

I don't recall you doing anything but supporting Trump, either directly or indirectly by scoffing at criticism of him. 

The only (implied) "criticism" you've offered was meant to minimize the significance of any particular statement he's made on the basis we shouldn't expect any better.   

But I could be wrong. Show me where you've done otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I don't recall you doing anything but supporting Trump, either directly or indirectly by scoffing at criticism of him. 

The only (implied) "criticism" you've offered was meant to minimize the significance of any particular statement he's made on the basis we shouldn't expect any better.   

But I could be wrong. Show me where you've done otherwise. 

I have said numerous times that he is a man of low moral character and is an ahole and that he says things just to tick people off (which is abhorrent to me) and that I don't like the fact that he is POTUS. I don't think we should expect better FROM HIM. He is not going to become presidential. I hope like heck that I don't think he is the best candidate running in 2020. But if he can not screw up the economy then I can keep from being angry all the time.

6 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I have said numerous times that he is a man of low moral character and is an ahole and that he says things just to tick people off (which is abhorrent to me) and that I don't like the fact that he is POTUS. I don't think we should expect better FROM HIM. He is not going to become presidential. I hope like heck that I don't think he is the best candidate running in 2020. But if he can not screw up the economy then I can keep from being angry all the time.

What he's already done to the EPA, environment and other science - related issues is more than enough for me be angry.

Likewise, his race-based divisiveness.

And he's already screwed up the future economy with his tax plan and trade philosophy. There's a lead time associated with policy there. 

Finally, our Bizzaro World foreign policy will take decades to straighten out.  

So, I am angry about what Trump is doing and I am bewildered and frightened by the number of people that think he's just doing great.

Otherwise, I try to avoid "being angry all the time".  I have a lot to be happy about in my personal life.  

But this happens to be a political forum.  It's a good place to vent anger I do have about our current political situation, which borders on disaster. 

He acts like this on purpose. He has two legitimate tactics by saying and doing the things he does. The first is that he wants to get a rise out of the left and energize his supporters. The second and most obvious is that he's a distraction. When people are talking about him saying the stupid sh*t he says, they don't pay attention to the legislation that is going down behind their backs.

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He acts like this on purpose. He has two legitimate tactics by saying and doing the things he does. The first is that he wants to get a rise out of the left and energize his supporters. The second and most obvious is that he's a distraction. When people are talking about him saying the stupid sh*t he says, they don't pay attention to the legislation that is going down behind their backs.

Legislation such as?

On 6/10/2018 at 11:00 PM, homersapien said:

What he's already done to the EPA, environment and other science - related issues is more than enough for me be angry.

Likewise, his race-based divisiveness.

And he's already screwed up the future economy with his tax plan and trade philosophy. There's a lead time associated with policy there. 

Finally, our Bizzaro World foreign policy will take decades to straighten out.  

So, I am angry about what Trump is doing and I am bewildered and frightened by the number of people that think he's just doing great.

Otherwise, I try to avoid "being angry all the time".  I have a lot to be happy about in my personal life.  

But this happens to be a political forum.  It's a good place to vent anger I do have about our current political situation, which borders on disaster. 

You should stand on your porch, butt-naked, screaming at the top of your lungs, and shoot your gun in the air... all at the same time. It would be just as effective as venting on here.

Archived