Auburn lacks the respect it deserves

WFE12

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

However, I like the idea of not getting the respect we deserve. We play better in those circumstances

And until that changes, we won't get the respect that some other programs get, nor will we deserve it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

That's fair enough, because consistency does buy confidence, but Auburn has had 2 undefeated seasons in the last 15 years, including a national championship and another year that we played for the national championship. Not to mention that we beat the top ranked team in the land two out of three of the last games of the season last year.

But yeah, I still understand what you're getting at. We've been up and down, plus we lost the Peach in humiliating fashion at the end of last season.

However, I like the idea of not getting the respect we deserve. We play better in those circumstances, and if the team can get that edge (not to mention the revenge for last year in Baton Rouge), then we could beat LSU handily, which might well bump us up to the top 5. That said, I'd kinda rather see a slugfest where we win by 7-10 points so that we keep getting questions about how we might fare in a true road game. I mean, we'll get those questions anyway, but beating LSU by 2-3 touchdowns would drown it out in a lot of ways. I kind of like the idea of having doubters, something to give the coaches to use in firing up the team.

Auburn is consistently inconsistent and until that changes, the "respect" this board craves so badly will be short lived. 

Let's see them chalk up back-to-back 10 win seasons first, then do it for a long extensive stretch, this is not an insurmountable task with a 12 game regular season.  And for the love of my sanity, turn this abysmal 5 yr bowl record in the right direction, continue to win big marquee match-ups away from JHS >>> the Washington win was huge IMO. 

When this happens Auburn will get plenty of attention, respect, notoriety, glowing headlines, the mediots & radio heads will be gushing all over the Tigers.  Maybe when that happens, fans will be satisfied and the jealousy towards our main rivals will vanish.

Gus has AU on a positive path for 2018, this is the year to make some serious noise.  There's no room for excuses, he's got ample talent, his own staff, a seasoned and experienced QB, an OC he can trust, depth with tons of talent/potential, a killer defense, solid special teams, and a fan base dying to support a contender.  WDE!

52 minutes ago, keesler said:

Auburn is consistently inconsistent and until that changes, the "respect" this board craves so badly will be short lived. 

I'm not sure Auburn fans could handle sustained success like that. The only time we've had it in the modern era was the 80s (not 10 wins in consecutive seasons, but less games were played), and I'm too young to remember that time, so I really don't know what it's like. I fear that a portion of the fan base would become like the bammers (as opposed to Bama fans, who are generally okay, if a bit misguided)...then again, it would be nice to take the final step from a stellar football school to an elite one. Here's hoping Gus is learning how to do that.

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I'm not sure Auburn fans could handle sustained success like that. The only time we've had it in the modern era was the 80s (not 10 wins in consecutive seasons, but less games were played), and I'm too young to remember that time, so I really don't know what it's like. I fear that a portion of the fan base would become like the bammers (as opposed to Bama fans, who are generally okay, if a bit misguided)...then again, it would be nice to take the final step from a stellar football school to an elite one. Here's hoping Gus is learning how to do that.

That's the closest I've ever come to getting cocky as an Auburn fan.  We had a run where it seemed like we just reloaded every year.

4 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I assume they stopped at 2013 because we didn't attempt any extra points in 2012. Instead of scoring touchdowns, we'd just look longingly at the end zone from about 60 yards away for a few snaps before meekly returning the ball to the other team. 

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

That's the closest I've ever come to getting cocky as an Auburn fan.  We had a run where it seemed like we just reloaded every year.

Reloading and occasionally shooting ourselves in the foot. But those were some good years. 

The only way Auburn will ever get respect and keep it, is if we hire a proven winning head coach like saban who can win with SEC and National Championship every year.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

The only way Auburn will ever get respect and keep it, is if we hire a proven winning head coach like saban who can win with SEC and National Championship every year.

And we all know that coaches like Saban are in plentiful supply. </sarcasm>

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

There is one other way.

Gus truly is learning and growing (and the first two games are a nice indication) and he BECOMES a proven winning HC that does those other things you said....

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And until that changes, we won't get the respect that some other programs get, nor will we deserve it.

That same ole underdog mentality. Got to get out of that.

13 hours ago, triangletiger said:

And we all know that coaches like Saban are in plentiful supply. </sarcasm>

Don't get me wrong, Saban is a great coach, but he got lucky to get the Alabama job. He NEEDS a recruiting hub with the tradition of Alabama or the geographical advantages of LSU to get the players. Now, he's great at coaching up DBs, and he generally does a good job of surrounding himself with a solid staff, but he's not all that when it comes to game day coaching. I'll give him credit that he does well with the game plan coming into the game, but it's the superior talent he has from recruiting that garners most of his big wins, not stellar game adjustments. If you look back to his time at Michigan State, where he had to go head to head with Michigan for recruits, it took him four or five years to do better than 7 wins in a season.

That said, he's arguably the best recruiter in the country when he does have the proper resources, and that's enough in itself to all but guarantee good football teams.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Don't get me wrong, Saban is a great coach, but he got lucky to get the Alabama job. He NEEDS a recruiting hub with the tradition of Alabama or the geographical advantages of LSU to get the players. Now, he's great at coaching up DBs, and he generally does a good job of surrounding himself with a solid staff, but he's not all that when it comes to game day coaching. I'll give him credit that he does well with the game plan coming into the game, but it's the superior talent he has from recruiting that garners most of his big wins, not stellar game adjustments. If you look back to his time at Michigan State, where he had to go head to head with Michigan for recruits, it took him four or five years to do better than 7 wins in a season.

That said, he's arguably the best recruiter in the country when he does have the proper resources, and that's enough in itself to all but guarantee good football teams.

Nobody has ever won a national championship without stellar talent. So every single coach NEEDS a recruiting hub. I have yet to see a coach X and O his team to a national championship victory without excellent talent at his helm. And since recruiting is an extension of coaching as well as making the correct hires, then I would argue Alabama was lucky to have him. Ask LSU and the previous Alabama head coaches is it easy to win NC on a consistent basis with superior talent. Anyway, this isn’t here nor there. Let’s just start winning games with our excellent talent and then we can start worrying less about NS.

4 minutes ago, AURex said:

How much respect did Auburn earn today? Just wondering.

Im thinking we may have had more than we deserved

10 minutes ago, AURex said:

How much respect did Auburn earn today? Just wondering.

Auburn won't get true respect until high school Gus is coaching another team. He's not SEC pedigree.

28 minutes ago, cammycam2 said:

Im thinking we may have had more than we deserved

I am thinking everybody who did not see it before sees it now - we are consistently inconsistent and do not have what it takes to make the playoffs.

Close loss, in the final seconds of the game, to a better than thought LSU team.  I see no reason to hit the panic button at this point. 

However, I have also said it many times.  On average, CGM is a 7-9 win per season coach.  Sorry, but that is just not good enough; especially given the amount of money he is paid and the national attention that our program gets.

1 hour ago, Shift said:

Close loss, in the final seconds of the game, to a better than thought LSU team.  I see no reason to hit the panic button at this point. 

However, I have also said it many times.  On average, CGM is a 7-9 win per season coach.  Sorry, but that is just not good enough; especially given the amount of money he is paid and the national attention that our program gets.

I’m not convinced that LSU is better than we thought. 

29 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I’m not convinced that LSU is better than we thought. 

They are better on the OL than I thought. They stopped our DL all day. 

But as a team they are not that good. It just so happens that neither are we. We are about even in every way - Which makes me sad when you look at the coach and the Qb position. We should have a major advantage but we don’t. 

Archived