The refs in that game should tender their resignations

TitanTiger

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

It's short sighted when people take the position that the refs don't matter because we should have put the game away. Sure we should have, in fact that's a given, but that ignores the issue of very bad officiating. That is something no team should have to put up with, it is demoralizing to the team and especially to those players involved. 

No matter what happened during the rest of the game, the fact is, very marginal penalties were called on the last possession after AU's defense had stopped LSU. Our DBs could not have played much better coverage on those 2 incomplete pass attempts. What makes it even worse is refs know they should not be the deciding factor on marginal calls at the end of a close game. They did that twice in the last 4 minutes. 

So are you guys going to hunt those referees down now or what? 5 pages and counting now. Asking for a friend.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I hope no one actually hunts down any of those refs.

But fans should let the SEC office know how unhappy we are with what happened. Things need to change,

Unfortunately, the office won’t do anything because those were PIs. We should be pissed about the inconsistency of calls though , especially the miss of Darius Slayton. But I am pretty sure most coaches send these in on an weekly basis already. 

If I may add: we all know it's shartty to blame the refs. It's just like piling on the coaches. We know it sucks, but it does get to a point where it needs to be called out. CGM didn't entertain those questions in the post: he knows as well as you and I that they got hosed- but he can not let the team get that message from him, therefore he couldn't deliver that message to us. Props for that.

20 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

If I may add: we all know it's shartty to blame the refs. It's just like piling on the coaches. We know it sucks, but it does get to a point where it needs to be called out. CGM didn't entertain those questions in the post: he knows as well as you and I that they got hosed- but he can not let the team get that message from him, therefore he couldn't deliver that message to us. Props for that.

He probably understands that this is more then a 3 game season and he is not in the position to delve on those calls for more than 24 hours like we do as fans, no? 

On 9/15/2018 at 6:40 PM, TAYLORKEETON said:

I know you’re mad but come on man. Refs played a big factor but they didn’t cause the L

Ponder me this...

Is this game in  the loss column without these refs making the bad calls that they made? 

29 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Ponder me this...

Is this game in  the loss column without these refs making the bad calls that they made? 

Good question. Refs had nothing to do with Stidham being off, lineman getting blown up/missing blocks, poor angles on some of LSU’s biggest plays, etc. Yes, some of the flags killed us. Some of the no-flags killed us as well. Like the PI at the end that wasn’t called & so many holding no-calls, but also we earned some of our PI calls...not all but some. It was more so no calls on LSU that killed us. At the end of the day, I do believe the no calls played a factor but so did everything else. LSU was ready to play...for some unknown reason we looked OFF. If there’s one game I expected our team to be up & ready for it was this one.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

So are you guys going to hunt those referees down now or what? 5 pages and counting now. Asking for a friend.

Are you saying you need transportation ? Sure, you can ride with us, lol.

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

Ponder me this...

Probably. Can't blame the ref for our level of play, but they erroneously killed more than enough momentum to swing that one point deficit, easily. At a minimum that last PI call led to the winning field goal. I think I'd say yes...

Auburn's readiness to play became a non-factor after we took the lead going into the fourth quarter. After that nothing was in Auburn's control.

There have been several comments in here about Auburn failing to get pressure on Burrow. Did you guys watch the same game that I did? Did you not notice that we primarily rushed FOUR while they kept 5-7 men in for protection? Take away the holding and you're still rarely going to find a defensive front four that will overcome that many blockers to get to the QB. Sheesh.

I'm in agreement with most here - I'm not upset that we extended LSU's drive by getting called for PI because there was reason to call it, but I'm super pissed off that we didn't get the same benefit on a drive that likely would've sealed the win in OUR favor or at least gave us the chance to milk the clock down to where LSU would've had to be more aggressive on their last drive.

We had other issues - a lot of o-line frustration and more than enough blame can be put on Stidham for bad reads and completely not seeing wide open receivers for easy TDs but the officiating was just terrible in the 4th quarter.

Also, I'm pretty sure the same people complaining about us going for it on 4th and 1 instead of getting the FG are the ones who have been complaining the last 2-3 years when we settled for a FG instead of going for it. I absolutely loved the call. We just executed it very, very poorly.

Also - OT - but I think this loss even messed up Daniel Carlson. Legatron missed THREE FGs and cost the Vikings the game yesterday. I am SHOOK!

2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

The refs aren't the only one that should turn in their resignations. 

Steve Shaw? Yeah that'd be nice too.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:37 PM, TitanTiger said:

Spare me the "don't blame refs" or "we had our opportunities."  I'm not in the mood.  LSU got bailed out multiple times to extend their drives late and we had two of our drives killed because the refs apparently only notice pass interference when Auburn does it.  But Greedy Williams can grab and redirect a player off his route and flat run a WR over and no flag.  Complete horse***t.

How many drives did we have before LSU's game winning one to extend an 11-point lead?  How many BLATANT holding penalties killed 2 of those opportunities? Who won the TO battle?

Man up and quit bammering, bro..

I rest my case.

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

The PI calls/no calls were really bad, but they dwarfed in number compared to the missed/uncalled holding calls from their OL and RB. Our DL need to join the me too movement.

I honestly think UnderArmor needs to take a hard look at their "ungrabable" jerseys, because they are anything but. Yes they fit tight on the pads but they are stretchy. Time and time again I see an opposing OL grab on and direct our DL simply by pulling jersey. Of course I've seen some full on tackles from behind not called either....?

20 hours ago, Tiger Scout said:

When alabama does it it's called great defense. When we do it it's pass interference. I agree call it on everyone or quit calling it. A Lot of the balls weren't catchable anyways.

This statement is accurate. It's also obvious. But we have only ourselves to blame for the loss. Opportunities were squandered with an 11-point lead long before LSU's final drive. Those can't simply be discounted to satisfy the 'refs lost it' argument.

18 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

How many drives did we have before LSU's game winning one to extend an 11-point lead?  How many BLATANT holding penalties killed 2 of those opportunities? Who won the TO battle?

Plenty.  But in the end, the timing and severity of calls can impact the game far greater than anything else.  When you kill one of our drives on 3rd down with a terrible no call, but extend their drives on 3rd down with calls that were no worse, and perhaps even less blatant than the one you didn't throw a flag on, that's effectively another turnover.  

And it happened three times.  At 15 yds a pop, it gave LSU 45 extra yards in the 4th quarter and denied us 15.  So that's a 60 yard swing in their favor in field position, plus 3 automatic first downs while denying us one.  The worst of the calls gave LSU an automatic first down after they had been held three and out at their 23 yard line.  It is not likely they go for it there so deep in their own territory.  This happened on their game winning drive.  It was extended later by another questionable PI call when the WR was just as guilty of PI as our guy was.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Plenty.  But in the end, the timing and severity of calls can impact the game far greater than anything else.  When you kill one of our drives on 3rd down with a terrible no call, but extend their drives on 3rd down with calls that were no worse, and perhaps even less blatant than the one you didn't throw a flag on, that's effectively another turnover.  And it happened three times.  The worst of the calls gave LSU an automatic first down after they had been held three and out at their 23 yard line.  It is not likely they go for it there so deep in their own territory.  This happened on their game winning drive.  It was extended later by another questionable PI call when the WR was just as guilty of PI as our guy was.

All true statements and valid points, BUT, if AU takes care of business when the opportunity was there for the taking, and doesn't fold with penalties and lack of execution, then they never would have been in a position to depend on a penalty or lack of consistency thereof in calling. 

Heck, IF Gus kicks the FG (assuming we made it), instead of, on 4th and a foot, calls a play that has the QB and RB 5 yards behind the LOS during the exchange, and IF the OL doesn't whiff the block....the game would have been out of reach by the last drive.  

So, yes, I was just as disgusted as anyone at the PI calls, the timing, the disparity. But to say the refs beat us when we were holding an 11 spot and failed to extend it on multiple opportunities is a reach IMO. 

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

All true statements and valid points, BUT, if AU takes care of business when the opportunity was there for the taking, and doesn't fold with penalties and lack of execution, then they never would have been in a position to depend on a penalty or lack of consistency thereof in calling. 

Well of course if we don't make any critical errors we can probably win every game on the schedule.  There's probably about 10 other teams in the country that could say the same thing.  But the fact of the matter is, even the strongest most dominant teams will find themselves in a tougher game than they expected against a very talented opponent who is better than you at some positions or in some matchups.  To have the referees screw you over in the last 8 mins of the 4th quarter with that many one-sided calls that extend or kill drives is going to be damn hard to overcome in such a game.

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Heck, IF Gus kicks the FG (assuming we made it), instead of, on 4th and a foot, calls a play that has the QB and RB 5 yards behind the LOS during the exchange, and IF the OL doesn't whiff the block....the game would have been out of reach by the last drive.  

So, yes, I was just as disgusted as anyone at the PI calls, the timing, the disparity. But to say the refs beat us when we were holding an 11 spot and failed to extend it on multiple opportunities is a reach IMO. 

I just disagree.  That's a claim that lands if the calls were in the 2nd quarter.  But when you give LSU two gifts on their game winning drive combined with forcing us to punt, all within the last 8 mins of the game, it's going to be tough to overcome.  The PI call on 3rd down at their 23 was devastating.  The one on 2nd and 10 at our 39 gave the game away.  They instantly went from 3rd and 10 at our 39 (a 56-57 yd FG attempt) if they don't make it, to a 1st down at our 24 (a 41-yarder).  They didn't have to do anything other than not fumble the ball after that.

Sometimes you don't play your best game.  That's especially true when you don't have a clear talent advantage over the other team.  But even with the mistakes, we did enough to win that game and had it ripped from us.

13 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Well of course if we don't make any critical errors we can probably win every game on the schedule.  There's probably about 10 other teams in the country that could say the same thing.  But the fact of the matter is, even the strongest most dominant teams will find themselves in a tougher game than they expected against a very talented opponent who is better than you at some positions or in some matchups.  To have the referees screw you over in the last 8 mins of the 4th quarter with that many one-sided calls that extend or kill drives is going to be damn hard to overcome in such a game.

I just disagree.  That's a claim that lands if the calls were in the 2nd quarter.  But when you give LSU two gifts on their game winning drive combined with forcing us to punt, all within the last 8 mins of the game, it's going to be tough to overcome.  The PI call on 3rd down at their 23 was devastating.  The one on 2nd and 10 at our 39 gave the game away.  They instantly went from 3rd and 10 at our 39 (a 56-57 yd FG attempt) if they don't make it, to a 1st down at our 24 (a 41-yarder).  They didn't have to do anything other than not fumble the ball after that.

Sometimes you don't play your best game.  That's especially true when you don't have a clear talent advantage over the other team.  But even with the mistakes, we did enough to win that game and had it ripped from us.

Ok, so on those occasions that we dont play our best game, we want the refs to have pity on us? How's that not being the other way around in reverse? 

We agree to disagree. It's not like this is the first time ever for a Gus-coached AU team to look inept and unprepared in a crucial game, or give up a double-digit lead to LSU.

But, whatever...

On 9/15/2018 at 6:57 PM, 80Tiger said:

Every penalty called on us looked correct. Our DB grab and hold like no ones business. Refs know this and look for it: teams will throw on us because of it. We were not the better team today.

I concur. 

8 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Ok, so on those occasions that we dont play our best game, we want the refs to have pity on us? How's that not being the other way around in reverse? 

No, I want them to call the game evenly and consistently.  If you're going to call PI loosely and let them get physical, call it that way on both teams.  If you're going to call PI tightly, call it that way on both teams.  Don't call it tight on Auburn's DBs but let Greedy Williams do the same thing or worse (such as when he literally ran over Slayton in the first half)  with no call.  What on earth would make you think I was suggesting preferential treatment?

Just heard Steve spurrier on the radio about our game. The question was asked how you hold a team to 2.9 ydc rushing and below 50% pass complete and still lose. He kiddingly said “score more points” then went on to say refs should not decide the outcome of a game and thinks PI calls are much to subjective and should be reviewed since it is so inconsistent.  He said it cost auburn and also cost Georgia in the National championship game. It’s not just us fans.....

Archived