Official Kavanaugh hearing thread

NolaAuTiger

56 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

What is the deal with the questions on her mode of travel and fear of flying?  Is the prosecutor under the impression that people who have a fear of flying therefore never fly?  Is a fear of flying an absolute thing where if you have it, you never set foot on a plane?

I have a fear of flying.  I literally pray under my breath during every takeoff and landing.  I had a colleague at my previous job who was worse than I was and asked to sit next to me so I could talk to her and distract her with conversation during takeoff and landing, which incidentally helped me at the same time.  But I still flew on airplanes because sometimes it's just the only way that makes sense to go somewhere.

I just don't get the significance.

I think the hired gun was trying to position her stated "fear of flying" as trivial if not bogus.  Ford had stated it as her reason for her asking the committee to come to her.

Honestly - as much as I used to fly - I was kind of rolling my eyes as all her flying destinations were brought up.  I'm thinking, "what fear of flying"?

But after reading your post, I started to remember a few colleagues - who also flew on a regular basis - as very nervous flyers.  For some reason, I am the opposite.  I can't really explain it, as I don't even like heights, but it's like a get super fatalistic or something. I've even been in some terrifying situations and I just feel detached. (I do get claustrophobic if sitting in the back when the plane docks.)

Now, walking out on the tower of a super high water slide - which I did once - absolutely terrified me.

Anyway, Ford handled it real matter-of-factly.  I think she maybe should have said a little more about having to deal with it.

Thanks for the post. (Out of "likes")

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

But can’t remember when she took the poly this past summer, which happened the day of or the day after her grandmothers funeral???

Hang your hat on that one, counselor.

18 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

But can’t remember when she took the poly this past summer, which happened the day of or the day after her grandmothers funeral???

Very possible. 

Two completely different types of events. It's not uncommon for a person to have vivid, lasting recall of very specific details from a traumatic experience.  In fact I have experienced several such instances myself.

Remembering the exact date of a procedure - even a fairly recent one -  is a completely unrelated phenomenon.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Very possible. 

Two completely different types of events. It's not uncommon for a person to have vivid, lasting recall of very specific details from a traumatic experience.  In fact I have experienced several such instances myself.

Remembering the exact date of a procedure - even a fairly recent one -  is a completely unrelated phenomenon.

Just like “rape parties” and “teenage rape rings” were not uncommon, right? Love it.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

She's afraid to fly but yet she flies everywhere for vacations and everything else, she's DR. Ford but she doesn't know how to contact her congressman. Yeah so far I'm buying everything she is selling NOT. Just another smear effort of a good man by the Democrats.

Yes.  I'm afraid to fly.  Nonetheless, I fly when it is the mode of travel that makes the most sense.  Why is this considered unusual?

EDITED TO ADD:  This is a thread for serious discussion of the hearings, in the regular Politics forum not the smack talk forum.  I've had to remove one post and edit another of yours already.  You are welcome to participate in this thread, but the level and tenor of your comments needs to take a big step up. 

38 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Just like “rape parties” and “teenage rape rings” were not uncommon, right? Love it.

That's a total non sequitur to my post.

Perhaps that's why you "love it". :-\

3 minutes ago, kd4au said:

What was wrong with the post you removed please?

Feel free to contact me via PM if you'd like to discuss.  I'd like to keep this thread focused on the subject.

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yes.  I'm afraid to fly.  Nonetheless, I fly when it is the mode of travel that makes the most sense.  Why is this considered unusual?

I don't fly myself, but if I flew as often as she has I would not be telling congress that I was afraid to fly and expect to congress to fly to see me. It goes to her credibility if you ask me.

Got it on today- my observations:

Not a lot of involvement from Republican senators. Majority of the handling of the hearing from their side is going through Mitchell. Wonder if they are waiting on something. 

When Mitchell speaks, she trying to get facts, clarifying things, asking what happened. 

When Democratic senators speak, I haven't heard any facts or real logic yet. I've heard emotional speeches and an appeal to emotion, as well as them saying they have letters and support from other people, but these are merely people who are voicing support for rape victims in general. They are attacking the cultural issue, not the actual case. 

Dems will win from an emotional standpoint, but they have offered no facts or evidence.

1 minute ago, kd4au said:

I don't fly myself, but if I flew as often as she has I would not be telling congress that I was afraid to fly and expect to congress to fly to see me. It goes to her credibility if you ask me.

If I had the option of having Congress come to me, or me to come to them, because I have a fear of flying, I would do so and cite that reason among others.  Yet, I have flown to Jamaica, southern Mexico, Seattle, LA, Dallas, Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, New York, Virginia, Tampa, and Colorado over the years.  My first time flying (other than as an infant) was probably around 20 years old.  Almost three decades later, I don't like it anymore than I did then and I still get very anxious particularly on takeoff and landing and especially turbulence.  And I know many others exactly like me.  Fear of flying varies by degrees.  Some are so petrified they refuse to fly at all (John Madden for instance took a bus to all or almost all the games he called for the NFL because of it).  Others get through it by taking a mild sedative and basically sleeping through it.  There is nothing unusual about her statement.

3 minutes ago, kd4au said:

You can PM me if don't want to explain what was wrong with my post publicly. I thought my post pertained to the subject.

It doesn't matter one way or the other to me.  Ball's in your court if you need details.

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Got it on today- my observations:

Not a lot of involvement from Republican senators. Majority of the handling of the hearing from their side is going through Mitchell. Wonder if they are waiting on something. 

When Mitchell speaks, she trying to get facts, clarifying things, asking what happened. 

When Democratic senators speak, I haven't heard any facts or real logic yet. I've heard emotional speeches and an appeal to emotion, as well as them saying they have letters and support from other people, but these are merely people who are voicing support for rape victims in general. They are attacking the cultural issue, not the actual case. 

Dems will win from an emotional standpoint, but they have offered no facts or evidence.

The Republicans are funneling their questions through Ms. Mitchell because the optics of a woman with a kindly, non-threatening demeanor are better than a bunch of older men asking the same questions themselves of a woman alleging she was a victim of sexual assault.

8 minutes ago, kd4au said:

That's because you are assuming such a fear manifests itself only acutely.  That's not the case.

That's why she should have said a few words about dealing with it.

4 minutes ago, AUDub said:

She's done. From what I'm reading, she did a fine job. 

No bombshells though. The end looked bad for Dems. Feinstein and Blumenthal are now demanding that all witnesses show up and prove a negative. Rs have letters from people there, Ds have letters from friends and family members. Did something happen to her? Idk, probably. Is there any corroboration that it was BK? No. Will Dems get what they want out of this? Probably. We will have an idea tomorrow. 

16 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

The Republicans are funneling their questions through Ms. Mitchell because the optics of a woman with a kindly, non-threatening demeanor are better than a bunch of older men asking the same questions themselves of a woman alleging she was a victim of sexual assault.

Knew they were going through her but was thinking one of them would speak up at some point. Why should it matter who asking, though? Answer the questions. The evidence will come out. 

3 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Knew they were going through her but was thinking one of them would speak up at some point. Why should it matter who asking, though? Answer the questions. The evidence will come out. 

It's all about optics. 

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

She did.  I was just noting what was going on to address your point that you hadn't heard much from the GOP senators.

50 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

If I had the option of having Congress come to me, or me to come to them, because I have a fear of flying, I would do so and cite that reason among others.  Yet, I have flown to Jamaica, southern Mexico, Seattle, LA, Dallas, Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, New York, Virginia, Tampa, and Colorado over the years.  My first time flying (other than as an infant) was probably around 20 years old.  Almost three decades later, I don't like it anymore than I did then and I still get very anxious particularly on takeoff and landing and especially turbulence.  And I know many others exactly like me.  Fear of flying varies by degrees.  Some are so petrified they refuse to fly at all (John Madden for instance took a bus to all or almost all the games he called for the NFL because of it).  Others get through it by taking a mild sedative and basically sleeping through it.  There is nothing unusual about her statement.

Yet she did fly to meet with them after they had offered to go meet with her, seems fishy to me.

51 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's because you are assuming such a fear manifests itself only acutely.  That's not the case.

That's why she should have said a few words about dealing with it.

No, I'm assuming she is lying.

14 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Yet she did fly to meet with them after they had offered to go meet with her, seems fishy to me.

Yes, because her understanding is that having them come to her wasn't going to be possible, or at least that they wouldn't be able to do it to the same extent, so she decided to come to them. 

You're making a mountain of a molehill.

Archived