Ford Layoffs

HVAU

I didn't see this posted here or on the other board.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/410448-ford-planning-layoffs-after-trump-tariffs-cost-company-1-billion

Ford will be cutting an estimated 12% of its workforce.  Reasons cited are poor sales compared to competitors and losses related to tariffs.

The question in my mind is is this a harbinger of manufacturing woe or an anomaly?  There are many different perspectives on just where the economy, globally and domestically, is headed when searching for quality economics reporting.

11 hours ago, HVAU said:

I didn't see this posted here or on the other board.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/410448-ford-planning-layoffs-after-trump-tariffs-cost-company-1-billion

Ford will be cutting an estimated 12% of its workforce.  Reasons cited are poor sales compared to competitors and losses related to tariffs.

The question in my mind is is this a harbinger of manufacturing woe or an anomaly?  There are many different perspectives on just where the economy, globally and domestically, is headed when searching for quality economics reporting.

It's a harbinger of what happens when you run trade policy like a reality show.

39 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Lots of companies need to (and will sooner or later) reorganize to be more efficient in competing.

Reorganizations to become leaner, more efficient may be necessary for many.  That may mean layoffs unfortunately.  Considering the tax incentives the GOP has granted corporations those layoffs could be met with a great deal of anger.  

44 minutes ago, alexava said:

Actions that, as far as I can see, helped no one.

I would assume they help Ford or they wouldn't have done it.

26 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Well taking advantage of free trade helped Ford too, but people railed against that because it was supposedly bad for workers.  So which is it that we care about: the company or the workers?

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well taking advantage of free trade helped Ford too, but people railed against that because it was supposedly bad for workers.  So which is it that we care about: the company or the workers?

It seems to me we care about profit margins and convincing each other that the better the profit margin the better off the worker is.  That's not always the case though.  Plenty of execs made out like bandits while layoffs spread in the last recession.  Here's to the golden parachute and lead boots for the workers.

Other than 21 years old future automakers. This helps no one. Trade policy was one area I liked trump in before the election. However the auto industry has  adapted to the current trade policies that Reagan implemented ( which saved the industry) these tariffs are too much at once. It’s not a win for anyone right now. 

11 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

The action I am referring to is tariffs themselves. 

Archived