Marshall Column: A Matter of Leadership

aubiefifty

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Depends on what side of the fence you're on as to who the "whiners" are.  

As to opposing views, many on the one side gives credible, fact based opinion & often even pure fact, backed up by example.  Plus, they try to specifically stick to keeping their comments about the subject at hand, Gus and Auburn....usually, only directing comments at posters as specifically addressed, answering questions or defending themselves or their position.

Many on the other side just derides those posters and calls them non-fans and gives almost no actual fact-based information proving why Gus IS the best choice for Auburn.  Just "I (blindly) support the coach, no matter who he is or what he does or how bad the team plays".

I don't hold you to that 2nd group necessarily as you do often logically think about things and I find you good to converse/debate with.  But please don't join the ones who basically only Whine about "whiners".  I know you're better than that!

War Eagle!

Well, he is constantly whining about anyone who doesn’t share his opinion, so is he better than that?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well, he is constantly whining about anyone who doesn’t share his opinion, so is he better than that?

I know on a more personal level he is.  64's a great guy actually.

Sometimes we ALL come across a little (or a lot) different than who we really are.

Message boards often don't bring out our best.

6 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Notre Dame

Bob Davie 1997

7-6

9-3

5-7

9-3

5-6

FIRED

Tyrone Willingham 2002 

10-3

5-7

6-6

FIRED

Charlie Weis  2005

9-3

10-3

3-9

7-6

6-6

FIRED

The University of Notre Dame made the conscious decision to be a top tier team.  

Auburn University has not.

And now they have Brian Kelly and he’s so elite with his 59-33 record lol.  

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Brian Kelly is 230-90 as a head coach and is being pursued by USC as we type.  

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

Michigan:  

Rich Rodriguez 2008

3–9 (2–6 Big Ten)

5–7 (1–7 Big Ten)

7–6 (3–5 Big Ten)

FIRED

Brady Hoke

11–2 (6–2 Big Ten)

11–2 (6–2 Big Ten)

7–6 (3–5 Big Ten)

5–7 (3–5 Big Ten)

FIRED

The University of Michigan made the conscious decision to be a top tier team.  

Auburn University has not.

Jim Harbaugh Elite... you’re joking right?  He hasn’t even won his division in his conference.  In a conference where it’s basically his team and Ohio State.  He’s hasn’t beaten Ohio State In His tenure.  

Just now, corchjay said:

Jim Harbaugh Elite... you’re joking right?  He hasn’t even won his division in his conference.  In a conference where it’s basically his team and Ohio State.  He’s hasn’t beaten Ohio State In His tenure.  

He's about to.  GO BLUE!  SEND MEYER CRYIN'!!

3 minutes ago, Cozmo said:

Brian Kelly is 230-90 as a head coach and is being pursued by USC as we type.  

Ok if you are gonna use stats from other divisions of football then I guess you have to add Gus’ what every conference championship from Ark State and 10 wins.  Plus his high school record and the 4 or 5 state championships he won. This is goofy.  Notre Dame has a 59-33 record coach.  If that’s elite then we have elite.

42 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Sir I don't spew and especially don't hate. I didn't know telling the truth was classified as hate. I cant understand how you claim that I know everything. Where did that come from? Either way have a great day and enjoy the game.

not your place.  report the post and move on.  do not comment

Why do we not want to be great? Is it a fear of failure? Can someone please explain the psyche of a person or organization that would rather wallow in the mud then make changes and move on. Yeah sure those changes might not work but if they don’t you try again until you succeed or die trying. 

WDE to all sides of this debate today. Beat Bama

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

good thing that guy coaches baseball.

Yep and do it very well... my career record as head coach is 231-93.  Let me know how I’m doing.  State championship coach as well.  This is high school record.

Plus I do a lot for travel ball when I am allowed to but can’t be on the field but have coached 3 state champs in travel at the top level of competition.  Won 2 super NITs a cotton state’s championship plus a USSSA World Series championship In a 4 year period.

i guess I have no idea what I’m doing or talking about there either.  

Hey stalker did you play any sport of any kind?  Just wondering.  Madden on PlayStation doesn’t count

13 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Ok if you are gonna use stats from other divisions of football then I guess you have to add Gus’ what every conference championship from Ark State and 10 wins.  Plus his high school record and the 4 or 5 state championships he won. This is goofy.  Notre Dame has a 59-33 record coach.  If that’s elite then we have elite.

Ok,  you can do that then. 

Also, I never said Kelly was elite, but he is certainly held in a lot higher regard nationally as far as coaching goes than Malzahn.  Personally, I wouldn’t want Kelly, but would take him over the circus we have now any day of the week. 

16 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Probably will but for some reason I think UM craps their pants today.  

They have so far.  I'm pulling for them to finally get it done.

tOSU is bammer north to me & Cryer just makes them even worse. 🤮

On 11/23/2018 at 11:45 AM, oracle79 said:

There's a joke coaches tell about this very thing, so of course it's obvious to the fans.  Here's the short version.

Old coach leaving the school tells the new coach coming in that he left him 3 envelopes in his desk, and anytime he has a bad season open the first envelope. Things go well but after a few years he has a bad season, so he opens the first envelope and the note inside says, fire and replace your defensive coordinator. He does and things are good for a few years until the next bad season, so he opens the second envelope and the note inside says, fire and replace your offensive coordinator.  He does and again it's good for a few years and then another bad season.  So, he opens the third envelope and the note inside says, "Prepare three envelopes..."

Oldie but a goodie. ;)

22 hours ago, cctiger said:

Bringing down the program! You do see where it is at now. Lack of recruiting OL, RB, lack of developing a QB, play-calling from the BOOK OF GUS! Chip cannot make Gus run his O! Dadgum, how much lower must the program fall outside of 8-4, 7-5, bowl game losses, poor play calling, the list could go on. Plus Gus is still the HC, Head-honcho, talking head in charge. Next year Freeze+Bryant is not going pull the program from the depths that it is in now, not as long as Gus is still the man with the title of HC! IMHO.

This.   The offensive malaise has deeper roots than just play calling.

If you hold a "run first" policy - which IMO is a good philosophy - then the OL should be priority one.  Period.

33 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

He's about to.  GO BLUE!  SEND MEYER CRYIN'!!

There’s the Harbaugh we know and love as elite.  Down early 7-0 to OSU.  They might come back but Harbaugh isn’t an example of elite.  There are 2 elite coaches .  Meyer and Saban and 1 very good Dabo.  The rest are just all up and down.  

44 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I actually agree with you here. Domers would do themselves a huge favor by just outright joining a conference IMO.

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

There’s the Harbaugh we know and love as elite.  Down early 7-0 to OSU.  They might come back but Harbaugh isn’t an example of elite.  There are 2 elite coaches .  Meyer and Saban and 1 very good Dabo.  The rest are just all up and down.  

Oh, I didn't call him elite (actually I thought he was a few years ago but he's been disappointing at UM.)....  I just tried to add some levity and support for tOSU's opponent.

Can't

Stand 

Meyer

😁

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

Is that the point you think I'm making!?  That Jim Harbaugh is elite or that Brian Kelly is elite?  

You and others have been making claims that AU fires coaches too often and no one will want to come to Auburn.  Well, teams that want to be the best will strive to get what they want and will fire and hire until they get it.  Harbaugh's teams are good, but if he can't keep them in the Top 10, he'll be gone.  If Kelly falls from here on out, he's gone.  When Gus fails, we swallow his excuses whole and reward him.  Different philosophies, one for winning.  

It's sad indictment of Auburn football when a pre-Iron Bowl conversation descends into discussing Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State and alas; Auburn basketball.  This is truly a sign of the Apocalypse....get your affairs in order folks; the second coming is upon us.  

Gus's record speaks for itself.  He's the 6th most expensive coach in college football....he's 53 years old.  His record against Power 5 and Sec opponents; is; well; like you would expect of a career high school coach.  He doesn't have a winning record against Alabama, Georgia, Miss State or LSU ....since two fluke plays in 2013; even worse.  He turns over coordinators every 2 years; not because like at UAT someone hires them away...but because Auburn doesn't want them anymore.  We find ourselves with glaring holes in depth and at key positions; every year.....and; QB, the horror....the horror........................long.....painful.....pause................I have to stop....it's too painful.   It's Thanksgiving weekend; I'm at home, my beautiful wife is here with me in the kitchen and the kids are all here...I have too much to be thankful for.  War Eagle anyway.....

The buyout nailed it for me. It puts motives, everyone's who had anything to do with it, including Gus's, under the microscope even more. The "explanations/reasons/excuses" can't stand alone now that the buyout contract is in place. The pay is higher, so the scrutiny and intolerance are higher. If outrageous sums of money are met with outrageously positive results, scarce a peep is audible. No matter the "reason" for the results, nor "how many plays away from winning", the buyout looms. And why? Because it adds a ray of hopelessness to the already disappointing results. And the perceived lack, by observable pattern, of doing WHATEVER morally one can to change what could and should be in oneself/philosophy/gameplan/leadership skills, adds another layer. Coach Pearl made us believe long before they hit the court. Then, step by step, they achieved it with full fan buy-in. AU football is backwards right now..."Buuuuuuttttt...our previous record merits the support and that of the buyout."  Show me (the results of) the money. 

Can Auburn be patient enough with 

7-5..8-4...9-3...8-4...10-2...11-1??? 

Cause if the program is in shambles and purgatory as some think, combined with the establishments @ Bama, UGA, A&M..and LSU...teams we face annually. Schools who have seasons up in Auburn in their rebuilds. Schools that traditionally out recruit Auburn based on status as state schools alone (less A&M) IJS if it’s as bad as we think the new person is gonna need some time...my question is can we be patient??? Or will Auburn be buying another coach out in 4 years??

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Can Auburn be patient enough with 

7-5..8-4...9-3...8-4...10-2...11-1??? 

Cause if the program is in shambles and purgatory as some think, combined with the establishments @ Bama, UGA, A&M..and LSU...teams we face annually. Schools who have seasons up in Auburn in their rebuilds. Schools that traditionally out recruit Auburn based on status as state schools alone (less A&M) IJS if it’s as bad as we think the new person is gonna need some time...my question is can we be patient??? Or will Auburn be buying another coach out in 4 years??

Always have to exercise patience with a new coach.  But there's hope during that time.  You look for improvements and look forward to seeing where the team will peak.  

We now know what we have with Gus, so there's very little hope left.    

13 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Always have to exercise patience with a new coach.  But there's hope during that time.  You look for improvements and look forward to seeing where the team will peak.  

We now know what we have with Gus, so there's very little hope left.    

Yep. And honestly if we're getting blown out today, then I would feel better if we did so badly that the boosters get fed up. #ComeAtMe

Archived