Marshall Column: A Matter of Leadership

aubiefifty

2 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

People just need to get back to work after the long Thanksgiving weekend punctuated by a crappy loss.   We are an emotional bunch... but hey,  we’re family. 

I agree but I have a stalker so any thread I post in here come the comments.  

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/23/2018 at 10:45 AM, oracle79 said:

There's a joke coaches tell about this very thing, so of course it's obvious to the fans.  Here's the short version.

Old coach leaving the school tells the new coach coming in that he left him 3 envelopes in his desk, and anytime he has a bad season open the first envelope. Things go well but after a few years he has a bad season, so he opens the first envelope and the note inside says, fire and replace your defensive coordinator. He does and things are good for a few years until the next bad season, so he opens the second envelope and the note inside says, fire and replace your offensive coordinator.  He does and again it's good for a few years and then another bad season.  So, he opens the third envelope and the note inside says, "Prepare three envelopes..."

Heard that before except that it was applied to management.

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Stop the back and forth and take it to PM's or thread gets locked. 

Golf or any of the mods if they will let the truth be posted about the “chocking out” comment then idiots like this will go away.   But nope if I ever explain what really happened it gets deleted.  

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

I know right.  Was just getting good.  Now the cat has his tongue won’t respond to my message.  Shucks 

Cleary, he doesn't like you. Let it go.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Cleary, he doesn't like you. Let it go.

Having 9 yr old twin girls your post took on a whole different meaning...

giphy.gif

21 hours ago, Cozmo said:

We, along with UGA, have also had the least amount of head coaching turnover in the SEC the last 25 years, the last 30 years, the last 40 years, the last 50 years etc....

That “zero patience” crap is a farce, especially after 6 years.  

25, 30, and 40 plus years ago don't matter. Coaches are going to look at the recent when looking at jobs. Like the SEC Championship. Over the last 10 years only 3 teams in the West have gone to this game. LSU once, Auburn 3, and the rest Alabama. If we fire Gus, then will have fired all the ones that led Auburn to those games in less than 10 years.

11 hours ago, AURealist said:

Michigan:  

Rich Rodriguez 2008

3–9 (2–6 Big Ten)

5–7 (1–7 Big Ten)

7–6 (3–5 Big Ten)

FIRED

Brady Hoke

11–2 (6–2 Big Ten)

11–2 (6–2 Big Ten)

7–6 (3–5 Big Ten)

5–7 (3–5 Big Ten)

FIRED

The University of Michigan made the conscious decision to be a top tier team.  

Auburn University has not.

Lol, I bet if you go to a Michigan board they have a Another Loss to A Rival thread.

They dumped a ton of money into not winning divisions, not winning conferences, not beating rivals, not winning bowl games, and not getting into the college playoffs.

17 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

25, 30, and 40 plus years ago don't matter. Coaches are going to look at the recent when looking at jobs. Like the SEC Championship. Over the last 10 years only 3 teams in the West have gone to this game. LSU once, Auburn 3, and the rest Alabama. If we fire Gus, then will have fired all the ones that led Auburn to those games in less than 10 years.

It does matter based on the context of what he was responding to. Gene Chizik helped win an NC then proceeded to downtrend until we had one of the worst seasons ever at Auburn. To act as we fired him on a whim because we have no patience is ridiculous.

Just now, Texan4Auburn said:

Lol, I bet if you go to a Michigan board they have a Another Loss to A Rival thread.

They dumped a ton of money into not winning divisions, not winning conferences, not beating rivals, not winning bowl games, and not getting into the college playoffs.

How does that not describe us?  The difference is that they're committed to being top tier and will make changes for the chance to make all those things happen.  We're going to waste the next few years pretending our washouts will magically get better.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

It does matter based on the context of what he was responding to. Gene Chizik helped win an NC then to proceed to downtrend until we had one of the worst seasons ever at Auburn. To act as we fired him on a whim because we have no patience is ridiculous.

Fair point on that one. Though you are still firing a guy that is responsible for two of the appearances. My major argument is that potential coaches will look at narrower trends than 25 plus years when decision making.

The context of what proven coach would want to come here due to patience is a real thing. So is our reputation for meddling. Those things, from what I've heard, are why we ended up Chizik instead of Patterson.

Now can take it as you want, but I have a good friend that played D1 and has good friends in D1 coaching ranks. Patience is an issue a discussed issue in regards to the Auburn job. Especially with GA/Ala being major requirements to succeed here. So the original point is also a very fair point.

Maybe he is full of it, doubt it, but he could be. He is friends with and associated with a program involving coaches that this board wants/wanted though.

4 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Fair point on that one. Though you are still firing a guy that is responsible for two of the appearances. My major argument is that potential coaches will look at narrower trends than 25 plus years when decision making.

The context of what proven coach would want to come here due to patience is a real thing. So is our reputation for meddling. Those things, from what I've heard, are why we ended up Chizik instead of Patterson.

Now can take it as you want, but I have a good friend that played D1 and has good friends in D1 coaching ranks. Patience is an issue a discussed issue in regards to the Auburn job. Especially with GA/Ala being major requirements to succeed here. So the original point is also a very fair point.

Maybe he is full of it, doubt it, but he could be. He is friends with and associated with a program involving coaches that this board wants/wanted though.

My question is what does your friend or rather his coaching contacts think about the situation here?  I would think that 6 years is a decent amount of patience shown by a program and fan base.  I'm not trying to rustle anyone, I am actually curious.

10 minutes ago, AURealist said:

How does that not describe us?  The difference is that they're committed to being top tier and will make changes for the chance to make all those things happen.  We're going to waste the next few years pretending our washouts will magically get better.

So why didn't they fire him when he went from 10 wins to 8 wins? or will they fire him Monday?

This is what is being written about him now and he was suppose to be the savior of Michigan:

Today his reputation has taken a big hit.

Harbaugh’s favored and No. 4 ranked Michigan team suffered an ugly 62-39 loss to Ohio State today, dropping Harbaugh to 0-4 against his bitter rival. And the way Harbaugh lost raises questions about whether he’s ever going to change with the times.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/24/jim-harbaughs-reputation-takes-a-big-hit-with-a-big-loss/

So is this new norm. Large buyouts with even larger contracts for hopeful change in short increments? Cause if so then athletic departments are going to go broke and noone is gonna be able to afford tickets.

41 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Having 9 yr old twin girls your post took on a whole different meaning...

giphy.gif

Guys, I just realized something! Frozen came out a year after Wreck-It Ralph (2013, 2012). Frozen 2 comes out a year after Wreck-It Ralph 2 (2019, 2018). Clearly Bama is hopeless against us next year! /s

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Guys, I just realized something! Frozen came out a year after Wreck-It Ralph (2013, 2012). Frozen 2 comes out a year after Wreck-It Ralph 2 (2019, 2018). Clearly Bama is hopeless against us next year! /s

I cannot find any fault in your logic

21 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Fine with that.  I'm done with ******* coaching here; don't apply if you can't take it.  Produce within five years, or move on.  Not unrealistic.

12 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

So why didn't they fire him when he went from 10 wins to 8 wins? or will they fire him Monday

They should fire him now.  If he can't beat OSU, then what's the point of having him as a coach? They may give him another year, but if he can't produce after five years, they'd be stupid to continue to keep him.

Just now, oracle79 said:

Fine with that.  I'm done with ******* coaching here; don't apply if you can't take it.  Produce within five years, or move on.  Not unrealistic.

They should fire him now.  If he can't beat OSU, then what's the point of having him as a coach? They may give him another year, but if he can't produce after five years, they'd be stupid to continue to keep him.

Yep. I love CJH but the Michigan faithful sure as hell won't put up with this. They were already saying Playoffs or Bust this year.

Just now, Texan4Auburn said:

So why didn't they fire him when he went from 10 wins to 8 wins? or will they fire him Monday?

This is what is being written about him now and he was suppose to be the savior of Michigan:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/24/jim-harbaughs-reputation-takes-a-big-hit-with-a-big-loss/

So is this new norm. Large buyouts with even larger contracts for hopeful change in short increments? Cause if so then athletic departments are going to go broke and noone is gonna be able to afford tickets.

Harbaugh won't be fired this season.  Probably because the only teams he lost to this season are ranked 4 and 10.  His team is ranked and they're still improving.  

What's a short increment?  7 years?  That's where we'll be with Gus next season.  His team is top 10 in recruiting and is losing to not just unranked teams, but teams like UT that truly suck.  And of course his team sits outside the top 25.  How can it not?  Besides, we aren't really serious about football, though we talk a big game.   To your point, it's probably a good thing we aren't truly serious about our football because we clearly aren't smart enough to be serious about football.  We're just serious enough and so ignorant as to blow our bankroll, the mattress stash, the mason jar beer funds beneath the floor boards and the church bake sell profits on an insane contract extension for a coach like Gus Malzahn. 

I think the new norm will be 5 year contracts.  The coach has time to build his team and the school knows what they've got in their coach.  

Maybe huge contracts and empty seats is how big time football dies...?

I like how Harbaugh took personal responsibility for the loss.  

3 minutes ago, Grimnir said:

My question is what does your friend or rather his coaching contacts think about the situation here?  I would think that 6 years is a decent amount of patience shown by a program and fan base.  I'm not trying to rustle anyone, I am actually curious.

His thoughts wouldn't go well here.

We go to many of the same watch parties. He puts alot more blame on the players than he does the coaches. He will nit pick play-calling also, but he will watch a play and call it when the failure is on the player.

The discussions we have had involve more the Auburn job as a whole and the issues of finding a coach if Auburn let's Gus go. I've put those up here before. Other stuff I don't feel comfortable with restating.

I will say he believes Gus is a good coach, but that Gus got too big a job too early.

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Harbaugh won't be fired this season.  Probably because the only teams he lost to this season are ranked 4 and 10.  His team is ranked and they're still improving.  

What's a short increment?  7 years?  That's where we'll be with Gus next season.  His team is top 10 in recruiting and is losing to not just unranked teams, but teams like UT that truly suck.  And of course his team sits outside the top 25.  How can it not?  Besides, we aren't really serious about football, though we talk a big game.   To your point, it's probably a good thing we aren't truly serious about our football because we clearly aren't smart enough to be serious about football.  We're just serious enough and so ignorant as to blow our bankroll, the mattress stash, the mason jar beer funds beneath the floor boards and the church bake sell profits on an insane contract extension for a coach like Gus Malzahn. 

I think the new norm will be 5 year contracts.  The coach has time to build his team and the school knows what they've got in their coach.  

Maybe huge contracts and empty seats is how big time football dies...?

I like how Harbaugh took personal responsibility for the loss.  

That is the question. What will be the new norms in college football and will it be the end of it.

Gus's new contract might only last one year.

I think 5 years for new coaches has been the norm for a long time. Yet now if a person gets hot for a second they want to lock them down and that is when the money really starts flowing.

So will it now be here is your 5 year contract with X amount guaranteed. Cause any quality coach that is being hunted is gonna get a guarantee lock down. Then 2 years in... nope.. buyout... next person with more guaranteed?

7 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

His thoughts wouldn't go well here.

We go to many of the same watch parties. He puts alot more blame on the players than he does the coaches. He will nit pick play-calling also, but he will watch a play and call it when the failure is on the player.

The discussions we have had involve more the Auburn job as a whole and the issues of finding a coach if Auburn let's Gus go. I've put those up here before. Other stuff I don't feel comfortable with restating.

I will say he believes Gus is a good coach, but that Gus got too big a job too early.

You been in my head???

just kidding I watch the game similar to that although I don’t have the opportunity to discuss with a college coaching guy.  

I agree with your post tho.  

Regardless of feelings on this board Gus is very respected in coaching circles and will be successful at AU or somewhere else.

Archived