2020 4* TE Jeremiah Pegues Commits to AU!

ellitor

On 12/25/2019 at 12:07 AM, Mikey said:

If there are 3.4 scholarship DL guys per position like we have had on the offensive line, DL depth will be fine. I don't think we'll have that many though. Why don't you count 'em and tell us the results?

Yes, if we have 3.4 high quality DTs, 3.4 high quality NTs, 3.4 high quality DEs, and 3.4 high quality Bucks, then depth will be great.

Not sure why you brought up the OL, though, since we didn't and don't have anything even remotely resembling 3.4 high quality players at all 5 different positions on the OL.

While this character you play is strange and annoying, I do admire your commitment to it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure why you brought up the OL, though

You know very well why I did. Because of ellitor's snarky remark.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

don't have anything even remotely resembling 3.4 high quality players at all 5 different positions

Who said anything about high quality players? I certainly didn't. All I did was count scholarship players, which does guarantee a certain level of quality.  Apparently counting is a concept that some few of you are incapable of grasping.

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Who said anything about high quality players? I certainly didn't. All I did was count scholarship players, which does guarantee a certain level of quality.  Apparently counting is a concept that some few of you are incapable of grasping.

You've asserted all along that our depth was sufficient. Our depth is not sufficient if the players are not of high quality. 

But do tell me, exactly what level of quality does a scholarship guarantee? Calvin Ashley had a scholarship. So does Prince Sammons. 

As for counting, there is no number of offensive guards and/or long snappers that adds up to one offensive tackle. Do you not understand this, or do you choose to pretend it's not true?

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Behind the scenes, publicly that was not the case.

Not sure how you get that. We were posting on here during his recruitment he would just get a shot at QB. That was his juco recruitment. Now if you are referring to his recruitment out of high school then he was strictly recruited as a WR then.

Devan Barrett was another guy we played on offense because he wanted to play there, but in the end, we shifted him to the position that gives him the best chance to have an impact on the field. It happens.

That said, Gus typically allows a guy to start at his position of choice. Usually, he doesn't just strong-arm a kid into the position he thinks is best, at least not right away. That nudge comes later. I expect Pegues to get his first look at TE/HB. If it looks like he's clearly behind Deal and Fromm, he'll move to DL.

Edited by mcgufcm
  • Like 1

I think he’s behind Shenker right now isn’t he,@ hback, and then te etc 

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Devan Barrett was another guy we played on offense because he wanted to play there, but in the end, we shifted him to the position that gives him the best chance to have an impact on the field. It happens.

That said, Gus typically allows a guy to start at his position of choice. Usually, he doesn't just strong-arm a kid into the position he thinks is best, at least not right away. That nudge comes later. I expect Pegues to get his first look at TE/HB. If it looks like he's clearly behind Deal and Fromm, he'll move to DL.

Unrelated, I read where jf3 was called up to the bigs as a defensive back! Probably his best position all along. Lol

qb/wr/db

4 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Noah Igbinoghene was signed as a WR and played there as a freshman before moving to CB

8 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Noah Igbinoghene was signed as a WR and played there as a freshman before moving to CB

And for every Noah or Prince, there are 2 Devan Barretts or Tristin Davis'.

It isnt something we should plan on having success with. Noah starting immediately after making that move from WR was one of the most surprising things of the Malzahn era. That isnt something that normally works out period, much less as advantageous as Iggys move. 

• Like 1

Tashawn Manning, Alec Jackson, Devan Barrett, Noah Igbinoghene, PT Wanogho, Jay Jay Wilson.

All of those are guys who started their careers (or in Wilson’s case played there middle part of his career) on the other side of the ball. We’ve been doing that for a while under Gus. Heck Tubs did it too (Ben Grubbs, Tim Duckworth, Trovon Reed, etc.). I bet the hit rate on those guys is not significantly different than the hit rate on other signees. 

Some players have a skill set that fits on both sides but because they have always wanted to be a QB or WR they don't always see that the best position for both them and the team is on the other side. I am sure there are other players at Auburn and other schools that never switched and never made it big because either they would not switch or coaches didn't see they would have been better off on other side. 5'11" to 6'2"" good wheels, good hips and solid hands describes both a good receiver and a good DB little things differentiate whether that player would be better on O or D. A lot of really good athletes just are not great route runners or have good hands but not great hands. A few would be great whether on O or D. some played a position in HS because team needed them there when the other side of ball was their more natural position.

I think Pegeus could be great on both sides  but unless he grows a few inches taller I can't see him playing TE at next level but he could be a great fit for Auburn on O.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think Pegeus could be great on both sides  but unless he grows a few inches taller I can't see him playing TE at next level but he could be a great fit for Auburn on O.

Irv Smith JR from Alabama is only 6'2, Jordan Reed is only 6'2, Charles Clay is only 6'3. As long as Pegues keeps his athleticism he could definitely have an NFL future without prototypical size. He just needs to drop bad weight and be utilized correctly

Edited by Metalsinger418
  • Like 2

Some of those guys may be hybrid TE/WR's. Although JJ could certainly be a starting TE at AU, I think he has the ability to be a starting DT in NFL as a 6'-3" 320 monster athlete. A kid like Pegues can excel at many positions in HS but hopefully he will do what is best for his team in College. But at the same time a kid has to be mindful of his future after 4 yrs +/- in college.

21 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Tashawn Manning, Alec Jackson, Devan Barrett, Noah Igbinoghene, PT Wanogho, Jay Jay Wilson.

All of those are guys who started their careers (or in Wilson’s case played there middle part of his career) on the other side of the ball. We’ve been doing that for a while under Gus. Heck Tubs did it too (Ben Grubbs, Tim Duckworth, Trovon Reed, etc.). I bet the hit rate on those guys is not significantly different than the hit rate on other signees. 

Trovon Reed was under Chiz I think. 

• Like 1

This kid is a freak! I love getting freak athletes. He needs to play early at whatever  position he ends up playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

This kid is a freak! I love getting freak athletes. He needs to play early at whatever  position he ends up playing.

100% agree.  Jibonour (so?) Was last one we had that left team. Hated losing him