Men vs. Mississippi State game thread

WarTiger

8 minutes ago, AUDub said:

UGA has been close these past few weeks. They’re better than 2-14, especially with those two goons in the paint. Just terrible, terrible guard play has held them back. 

Florida I believe had won 5 straight. That is the main reason I was suprised. They beat LSU AT LSU. So this was odd and came out of nowhere.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Florida I believe had won 5 straight. That is the main reason I was suprised. They beat LSU AT LSU. So this was odd and came out of nowhere.

In the previous few games, UGA lost to LSU by 4, Ole Miss and Mississippi State by 1 and us by 3. 4 tourney teams by a combined 9 points. They were overdue to steal one. Combine that with UF’s known consistency issues, this one doesn’t shock me too much. 

Puts Auburn in even better position to grab that last SEC tournament bye spot. !  Auburn now in the #4 spot in SEC standings.

7 minutes ago, AURex said:

Puts Auburn in even better position to grab that last SEC tournament bye spot. !  Auburn now in the #4 spot in SEC standings.

Tied for fourth, but with a great opportunity to get that double bye. 

Man, the conference ended up being strong this year. 

Getting out-rebounded by 20 and still winning...quite an accomplishment.....

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is definitely the case. Florida now has two random bad losses on the resume at home, to Georgia and South Carolina.

14 hours ago, alexava said:

If we beat Tennessee.......

And Bama...Should get us off the 8/9 for the NCAA Tourney.

14 hours ago, AURex said:

even with a loss against UT, there's a good chance Auburn will be #4 in the SEC going into the SEC tourney and get those really valuable byes!

With due respect @AURex we need to win both games & have all of Miss St. Ole Miss, & Carolina lose 1 more. All 3 teams have tie breaker advantages over us even in a 3 or 4 way tie. them all losing 1 is probable if not likely. If we lose to Bama or the Vols they would all need to lose 2 for us to be the 4 seed. I'm not sure if any of them lose 2 much less all of them.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Just beating uat on the road should get AU off the 8/9 I would think. 

12 hours ago, CR said:

I think the same thing watching Alabama play. How the hell are they only 17-12? That team is loaded with talent. Really hope they keep Avery around.

Part of that is bad coaching from Avery yesterday. If I had a 17 year old kid Guard that wanted to be Mr. Hero by starting to take WTF shots when my team had the lead & momentum I would have taken him out after the 2nd bad shot. Avery kept Kira Lewis in the game. The kid kept shooting bad shots til LSU got a 2 score lead & that was the ball game.

17 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Just beating uat on the road should get AU off the 8/9 I would think. 

May need a 2nd Q1 win counting the last 2 & the SEC Tourney to ensure it. Once you get into better than 8 seeds you are getting into teams that most have better road resumes than us, even beating Bama in the Hangar.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Part of that is bad coaching from Avery yesterday. If I had a 17 year old kid Guard that wanted to be Mr. Hero by starting to take WTF shots when my team had the lead & momentum I would have taken him out after the 2nd bad shot. Avery kept Kira Lewis in the game. The kid kept shooting bad shots til LSU got a 2 score lead & that was the ball game.

In fairness to Kira, that was his first really poor game down the stretch. Been their most consistent scoring threat all season. 

He should have realized that yesterday was one of those in which Petty was on and kept feeding it to him, Hall and Norris. But he's just 17 and he's going to be a thorn in our side next few games one way or another lol. 

Plus yanking him mean playing AJ junior, and that one brings very little to the table. Only played a minute yesterday, in fact. 

50 minutes ago, AUDub said:

In fairness to Kira, that was his first really poor game down the stretch. Been their most consistent scoring threat all season. 

He should have realized that yesterday was one of those in which Petty was on and kept feeding it to him, Hall and Norris. But he's just 17 and he's going to be a thorn in our side next few games one way or another lol. 

Plus yanking him mean playing AJ junior, and that one brings very little to the table. Only played a minute yesterday, in fact. 

Exactly. Don’t blame I kid blame the coach in this situation. Avery needs to step up and explain. Kira is an exceptional player and a better person. If have no doubt that if he was told to do something, he would. Avery just doing what he does, which isn’t much. He clearly can bring talent in but to this point hasn’t won like he should. Sadly, it wouldn’t surprise me if he is wearing his time thin there. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

With due respect @AURex we need to win both games & have all of Miss St. Ole Miss, & Carolina lose 1 more. All 3 teams have tie breaker advantages over us even in a 3 or 4 way tie. them all losing 1 is probable if not likely. If we lose to Bama or the Vols they would all need to lose 2 for us to be the 4 seed. I'm not sure if any of them lose 2 much less all of them.

I overlooked that. But I'm curious how Miss State has a tie breaker over Auburn. Maybe I just don't understand the fine nuances of tie breakers?

18 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Exactly. Don’t blame I kid blame the coach in this situation. Avery needs to step up and explain. Kira is an exceptional player and a better person. If have no doubt that if he was told to do something, he would. Avery just doing what he does, which isn’t much. He clearly can bring talent in but to this point hasn’t won like he should. Sadly, it wouldn’t surprise me if he is wearing his time thin there. 

A lot of it is that Avery is an NBA guy, so he treats these his kids like adults showing up for their job rather than still developing college kids that often need heavy handed, in depth coaching.

And yeah, he’s definitely getting on the bad side of the fandom in West Vance. If he misses the dance this year, that seat is going to be rocket hot going into next year, and next year’s roster is at least 20 wins good. If he underperforms again, I don’t see him being retained. With the talent he’s bringing in, they should be expecting better than 17-18 wins by early March and hoping for a weak bubble to get in. 

2 minutes ago, AURex said:

I overlooked that. But I'm curious how Miss State has a tie breaker over Auburn. Maybe I just don't understand the fine nuances of tie breakers?

Well if it's a 2 team tie with them, both going 2-0 to finish out, they would get it based on getting a win on whoever ends up being the 6,7, or 8 seeds pending on whichever one breaks the tie. Both teams lost out to LSU & UK. If both win out both will have beaten Tennessee. Both beat Florida so they are a non factor. It would come down to Carolina or Ole Miss breaking the tie & Miss St. has wins over both of them. We lost to both teams.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Getting out-rebounded by 20 and still winning...quite an accomplishment.....

Getting out rebounded by 20 = bad accomplishment

Still winning = good accomplishment.

4 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Getting out rebounded by 20 = bad accomplishment

Still winning = good accomplishment.

There is almost nothing in the stats to indicate that AU should have won the game other than we built up a  19 point lead and then let it drift away down to nothing by the end of the game.    No second try points, one offensive rebound and a few other stats that made me wonder what was going on the second half. 

But a win is a win and we are still in the hunt for the NCAA....

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

I give us a good chance to beat bammer. I expect it really. I don’t think we are even capable of beating Tennessee. But you never know, we just got killed in rebounds and won a game. We’ll have to do that again. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I give us a good chance to beat bammer. I expect it really. I don’t think we are even capable of beating Tennessee. But you never know, we just got killed in rebounds and won a game. We’ll have to do that again. 

We beat their bigger, slower players with our speed and quickness the 1st game. Don't see why we can't do it again.

3 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

We beat their bigger, slower players with our speed and quickness the 1st game. Don't see why we can't do it again.

Hard to know if they are the same team...this young guard Lewis has been coming along quite well and might give us more trouble.   JMO but the best thing we have going for us is the bama coach.....he has some good talent but the team has often underperformed I think....and hoping that continues. 

Archived