Coach Avery Johnson

tigeraddikt

They just got blasted by Arkansas. Didn't look like they cared about playing basketball right now. CAJ has lost this team's will to fight. I don't know what's brewing beneath the surface over there, but something ain't right.

That team has quit on their coach, and I would bet it's because they feel like their coach has quit on them. Makes me think he's got 9 toes out the door or something.

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

Alabama has the resources to get a good coach. I hope Johnson keeps doing just enough to keep his job.

Shoot...they got a former pro coach....guess they thought he was the round ball version of NS or something.   BUT....yep, the can hire a better coach but I expect word is out that basketball will always be a stepchild program at bama…..and why coach in the shadow of nick?  

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

They just got blasted by Arkansas. Didn't look like they cared about playing basketball right now. CAJ has lost this team's will to fight. I don't know what's brewing beneath the surface over there, but something ain't right.

That team has quit on their coach, and I would bet it's because they feel like their coach has quit on them. Makes me think he's got 9 toes out the door or something.

Looks exactly like last season. Except they do not have a lottery pick in Sexton to bail them out. They lost 5 in a row then went on their mini run in the sec tourney to get in the Big Dance. I just cannot see that happening this season. 

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Looks exactly like last season. Except they do not have a lottery pick in Sexton to bail them out. They lost 5 in a row then went on their mini run in the sec tourney to get in the Big Dance. I just cannot see that happening this season. 

I hope it does! Hope they make it to the NCAA tourney because that keeps Avery there for at least another year. I hope they keep that underachieving coach for all-time. 

45 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I hope it does! Hope they make it to the NCAA tourney because that keeps Avery there for at least another year. I hope they keep that underachieving coach for all-time. 

Problem I see is that he is getting some pretty good talent and he might eventually learn how to coach college basketball players.....but guess it is worth the chance.  On the other hand, I would be surprised for bama to get even a good "up and comer" ...lousy venue and a sport that is mostly ignored by the bammers......and a pretty tough conference....not a very good place to build a reputation. 

11 hours ago, AURandy56 said:

Wasn't Avery Johnson their 3rd or 4th choice when he was hired? 

They were all in on Gregg Marshall and then he obviously turned them down. After that I don’t remember who else they targeted but Avery just popped up out of nowhere 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Problem I see is that he is getting some pretty good talent and he might eventually learn how to coach college basketball players.....but guess it is worth the chance.  On the other hand, I would be surprised for bama to get even a good "up and comer" ...lousy venue and a sport that is mostly ignored by the bammers......and a pretty tough conference....not a very good place to build a reputation. 

I think it's a pretty attractive job unfortunately. They just committed to renovating the Colosseum and the fact that the SEC is now a power conference works in their favor too. I don't know who they could get if they do in fact get rid of Avery, but with AU and UT now having very good programs, you better believe bama will try to hire someone really good

If uat fires Avery and gets a good coach, they have the means and methods to get the talent they need without ending up in and LSU situation. I hope he stays. 

4 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I think it's a pretty attractive job unfortunately. They just committed to renovating the Colosseum and the fact that the SEC is now a power conference works in their favor too. I don't know who they could get if they do in fact get rid of Avery, but with AU and UT now having very good programs, you better believe bama will try to hire someone really good

Committed to renovating it in 2022 hahahahaha. They treat Coleman like we unfortunately treat Jordan Hare :[. Keep putting lipstick on a pig when it is obvious they need a actual brand spankin new bball arena and not a airport hangar. 

3 hours ago, jared52 said:

If uat fires Avery and gets a good coach, they have the means and methods to get the talent they need without ending up in and LSU situation. I hope he stays. 

Absolutely. They will always get the blue chip state of alabama players because almost all of those kids are Nike and will always be pushed to Bama. SO they will always get chance after chance to keep being good with the talent they have coming in year in year out. 

UAT won't pay that $8MM buyout to can Avery this year, he's there another yr unless he decides to leave on his own for another job.  

I think everyone with any eyes can see that he hasn't got what it takes to coach college ball, he hasn't shown that he can evolve, or change his coaching style to get that talent to play consistently at a high level.  His team didn't improve and get better as the season progressed, and they appeared to loaf around in many games not willing to give 100%.  He can't make half-time adjustments, they always go long periods of time without scoring points, their technique and play selection needs improvement.  Avery's nothing more than a mediocre coach,  he's making top 15 salary and he's failed to deliver.  

Read the other day that he is the 2nd highest paid coach in the SEC and like top 15 in the country. He is pulling in almost 3 mill per year....i know from personal experience that the fans will get really tired of paying top dollar for a coach that provides middling results.

I've only seen them play against us but i know when we played them in tuscaloosa i thought we just wanted the game more. Out hustled them every step of the way. Thats on the coach when the team is not playing hard

21 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Absolutely. They will always get the blue chip state of alabama players because almost all of those kids are Nike and will always be pushed to Bama. SO they will always get chance after chance to keep being good with the talent they have coming in year in year out. 

actually just looking back over recent years it seems the best round ball players in the state go out of state to play their basketball.   AU and bama each get maybe one or two a year but not often. 

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

bama fans are WANTING to be named in the scandal in order to get rid of him....they are serious

That's the only way to fire him & not have to pay that buyout.   And it's not like Collin Sexton wasn't paid $$ - so Avery is not clean at all. 

The fans are just so pissed  and frustrated that they have a very mediocre coach pulling a top SEC salary and he's shown no evidence that he has what it takes to get better results from his team.  They lack consistency on offense, Avery makes very poor half-time adjustments and they go into long slumps in scoring points in every game they play.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

actually just looking back over recent years it seems the best round ball players in the state go out of state to play their basketball.   AU and bama each get maybe one or two a year but not often. 

Yep - far tooooooo many State players have not come to AU/UA.

38 minutes ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

So does "Daddy's Boy" come back for his Senior season if dad gets fired?

i hope so because i see ( i think )some evidence that he may causing a little bit of a chemistry problem...i'm waiting, like every non-LSU fan, on the northbruin "40" guy to return to the sec rant with more info concerning the other teams involved....last entry was to pay attention during conference tournaments...if it is pat forde, there is an agenda in it somewhere

Won't give him credit for the W/L for the 06 Mav's. Nelson really built that team and the comeback by Miami was Ref's vs Cuban. As Charles commented during that series, starting in the second half of game 3 Wade was getting calls that Jordan didn't even get.

His post season record with Dallas was turrible, especially that first round exit to Nelson and GS when Dallas was the best team in the NBA going into the playoffs.

I personally find him to be a likeable guy. UA hasn't been a good program for several years and there were plenty of AU fans not happy with CBPs record a few years in. He's recruiting pretty well and theyre on the bubble for the second year in a row in a tough SEC. I wouldn't fire him unless I was sure I had my guy linedup to take the job. Otherwise, who are they going to get? No hot up and comer should take a job that just killed two coach's careers. 

Archived