2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

On 6/11/2019 at 4:04 PM, doverstutts said:

it is crazy to see this type of talent showing up at AU for visits!!!...

Makes me kinda queasy. Likely unfounded but reminds me of Ole Miss in football. Where suddenly they were getting all sorts of attention from highly sought after recruits and signing them. 

• Sad 1

Just now, SumterAubie said:

Makes me kinda queasy. Likely unfounded but reminds me of Ole Miss in football. Where suddenly they were getting all sorts of attention from highly sought after recruits and signing them. 

Bruce is a proven commodity in college basketball. Bucky was not. We just went to the final 4. With the most fun and exciting style in the country. Of course kids are going to want to be a part of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Apples and oranges ...

cbp is well known as a recruiter and infectious personality.  Also he ramped up recruiting starting literally the day he was hired.  This has been a multi year evolution to get where we are this month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Rubbin's racing.

• Love 1

On 6/15/2019 at 9:03 PM, SumterAubie said:

If this was the case when Bruce first got hired and we had no tangible success to show these elite talents and they were taking visits etc then I'd be worried.

Not only is Bruce an ace recruiter but the fact he had us on the biggest stage of the sport just ~2 months ago is the reason for this. Not similar to Ole Miss at all IMO. What did Ole Miss do on the field that would warrant a sudden wave of top tier talent considering going to school there? That was shady from the start. This recruiting boost we are seeing has been 5 years in the making.

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Makur-Maker-recruitment-Auburn-Alabama-Kansas-Kentucky-Oregon-UCLA-USC-132937167/

Interview with Makur Maker (247)

OP updated to include this guy. Don't think Auburn has offered yet, and I don't believe he has visited, but it certainly does seem like Bruce Pearl and Co. have not forgotten about him....has a sweet name 

Edited by tigerbrotha12

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Makur-Maker-recruitment-Auburn-Alabama-Kansas-Kentucky-Oregon-UCLA-USC-132937167/

OP updated to include this guy. Don't think Auburn has offered yet, and I don't believe he has visited, but it certainly does seem like Bruce Pearl and Co. have not forgotten about him....has a sweet name 

7 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Must be kinned to Thon Maker. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

@tigerbrotha12 May want to add 4* C Cliff Omoruyi . He's a guy Coach Pearl likes a lot if we miss on Kessler.

Done. Seeing a lot of UK for Omoruyi, but there doesn't look to be a lot of news on him in the last few months. He just visited Maryland this past weekend. 

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Done. Seeing a lot of UK for Omoruyi, but there doesn't look to be a lot of news on him in the last few months. He just visited Maryland this past weekend. 

Probably because you didn't add him to the OP.  He felt like we didn't want him at all since he came to the forum and didn't see his name.  Shame...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Probably because you didn't add him to the OP.  He felt like we didn't want him at all since he came to the forum and didn't see his name.  Shame...

I ruined it. 

I’m not sure who’s coordinating b-ball recruiting forum, but I thought this was interesting Auburn coaching staff offers McGill-Toolen 2022 elite forward Barry Dunning! Feel free to move post.

Updated Jun 21, 10:15 AM; Posted Jun 21, 9:00 AM

McGill-Toolen's Barry Dunning Jr. eyes a shot during his team's win over Lee-Montgomery on Saturday. (Scott Donaldson | preps@al.com)

4 shares

By Ben Thomas | bthomas@al.com

Bruce Pearl and the Auburn basketball coaching staff didn’t waste any time entering the sweepstakes for McGill-Toolen 2022 forward Barry Dunning Jr.

The Tigers offered the 6-foot-5, 190-pound Dunning following a team camp on campus Thursday.

“We heard from Auburn about a month ago when they were watching Barry in Atlanta,” McGill coach Phillip Murphy said. “They started asking questions and really wanted us to come to camp. Yesterday, they matched us up against three really good teams. The entire Auburn staff watched us play a very good West Oaks (Fla.) team. We played really well. Barry played well and hit a 3 at the buzzer to win it. When we were leaving, the staff came up and offered Barry.”

The offer was the second in the young career of the 15-year-old Dunning. South Alabama also has offered him.

Congrats to Barry Dunning, C/O 2022, on his offer from Auburn University today! #WhoAreWeMcT#ALLOUT #WarEagle@McTCoachGriffin @McGillToolen@mcthoopscoach@BarryDunning6@BenThomasPreps @AuburnMBBpic.twitter.com/DSN7r5XTIq

— McT Hoops (@McTHoops) June 20, 2019

As a freshman with the Yellow Jackets, Dunning proved to be one of the most electric players in the Mobile area. He averaged 12.1 points and eight rebounds a game in helping McGill to the Class 7A Southwest Regional championship game and was a third-team All-coastal Alabama selection.

“He’s got all the intangibles,” Murphy said. “He’s obviously got good length but, on top of that, he’s also an elite athlete. He can run and jump. He covers ground quickly with his long strides, and he’s just 15. With his size and being able to handle the ball and being as agile as he is now, his ceiling is way up there. He will be a tough matchup for anyone on any given night.”

Murphy also said Dunning is a team player, which impresses colleges as well.

“He plays the game the right way,” Murphy said. “He’s not just looking to get his. He’s going to play team ball and his basketball IQ is really high. His mid-range game is already great, and he will continue to get better from beyond the arc. In transition, the kid is phenomenal. If he gets space, he will get a finish or get fouled or both.”

Courageous spirit defines Auburn in tough times

Murphy said the Auburn coaches told him they didn’t see a player at camp better than Dunning.

“Again, we are talking about a three-year ceiling, so that is three more years of growth,” Murphy said. “But they can see what is coming. They can see what the kid’s body is going to do and see him being even more efficient down the road than he is right now.”

Murphy also sees that potential and has seen growth in Dunning since McGill’s basketball season finished.

“I think the biggest improvement is just confidence,” he said. “He had a great season with his spring team and you could see him becoming more of an Alpha for them. That has translated to us during our play dates. He is getting better on the glass, rebounding out of the zone, and he is making more happen.

“I’ve coached some good players, but he can do things unlike any player I’ve coached before. He’s got some natural attributes that you just can’t coach or teach. It’s hard to explain but he definitely has a chance to be one of the best I’ve had.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

?

Area code the McGill-Toolen kid is from. I only know that because I was born in Mobile.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

OP updated - included a few 2020 big men that have been offered by AU for a while, but whose names are coming up more and more on some message boards and articles.

Ebenezer Dowuona

Akeem Odusipe

Justice Ajogbor

2 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Justice Ajogbor

Basketball player, or member of an intergalactic judiciary committee in the next Star Wars movie?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Basketball player, or member of an intergalactic judiciary committee in the next Star Wars movie?

Or a cheesy name for a Justice League character...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I would rather him be strong with the force if he commits to us.....

• Like 2

@tigerbrotha12 In state Guard/Wing Colby Jones is another name to watch. He has an AU offer & has visited. Also has offers from Bama, Clemson, UGA, & Xavier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rarely frequent the basketball thread, but are we not going to talk about Thon's younger brother Makur? He got a little KD in him. Unfortunately, he is ineligible to play for his senior season, but he is a part of the 2020 class. States in the article that he has been talking to Auburn. Hopefully more than just that.

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Article/Five-star-Makur-Maker-ruled-ineligible-will-transfer-133284429/

Pretty athletic for his size.  I hate to see all the moving around.  That kind of stuff is often concerning.  I worry about young big men coming to the sec.  they tend to get knocked around some.  I don’t know if his dribbling will translate to college but it was fun to watch on the video.