Talking New Age Tackling

bigbird

Could've been called as targeting the way he lowered his head and launched into the defender's head. Rarely called on the offense, especially backs, but they are starting to look at it more.

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Could've been called as targeting the way he lowered his head and launched into the defender's head. Rarely called on the offense, especially backs, but they are starting to look at it more.

God I hope they don't start calling that.  Neither was defenseless and neither used the crown of the helmet.  Two dudes going face to face the way football should be played.

53 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm good with this. Kids' should not be sustaining that kind of violence. 

Football's in a tough spot. Hard to maintain the integrity of the sport and make it reasonably safe at the same time.

It's a collision - it's a contact sport.   I respect your point Bird, you're in the game.  

To me, one young man, blocking another with upper body contact (shoulders, head/face mask, and arms).  As stated, neither defenseless.  Would rather see this vs cutblock (?) or lower block whatever the correct term is.

53 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

God I hope they don't start calling that.  Neither was defenseless and neither used the crown of the helmet.  Two dudes going face to face the way football should be played.

FWIW the rule (Not saying this was in TS's play) is about a shot to the head/neck area regardless if the player is defenseless or not or crown of the helmet is used. The point of the rule is to lower chances for concussions.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The point of the rule is to lower chances for concussions.

Go to 7 on 7 then and be done with it, if safety is that important.  Tired of that argument.  No one that I know of has been forced to play football, and even if their parents did force them, they aren't making them go face to face.  Or get rid of the hard shell on the helmets and remove the facemask.  The desire to protect everyone from everything is getting ridiculous, but that's another argument.

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

It's a collision - it's a contact sport.  

I completely agree. However, TS lowered and launched into the face of the other. Imagine if that was a safety towards a receiver or an DE into a QB. What would the call have been?

I'm just stating that there is a lot of emphasis being placed on the offensive players recently. It used to be one-sided and gave offenses an advantage. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I completely agree. However, TS lowered and launched into the face of the other. Imagine if that was a safety towards a receiver or an DE into a QB. What would the call have been?

I'm just stating that there is a lot of emphasis being placed on the offensive players recently. It used to be one-sided and gave offenses an advantage. 

Noticed they’re calling a lot more defensive linemen holding too in the NFL preseason. Different conversation, but...

On 8/24/2019 at 11:29 AM, oracle79 said:

Or get rid of the hard shell on the helmets

Been thinking this for a very long time.

On 8/24/2019 at 12:19 PM, bigbird said:

Yeah, makes sense.   

so is the answer that they have to hit the chest, with the head in a natural position?

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Yeah, makes sense.   

so is the answer that they have to hit the chest, with the head in a natural position?

Yes, but more preferably lead with the shoulders

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yes, but more preferably lead with the shoulders

Gotcha; my kid played OLB and was always tackling below the waist (prob a little slower than the coaches wanted), but made a ton of tackles.  Thanks man - 

16 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Gotcha; my kid played OLB and was always tackling below the waist (prob a little slower than the coaches wanted), but made a ton of tackles.  Thanks man - 

A lot of schools are going to what's called "hawk" tackling

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

A lot of schools are going to what's called "hawk" tackling

Very nice video, thanks.  I had read about this some time back and wonder how fast it'll spread.

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

Very nice video, thanks.  I had read about this some time back and wonder how fast it'll spread.

Not sure other places, but it's catching on in Texas

It’s impressive to see the teaching techniques on display in game situations. Shows they are doing something right in teaching/coaching in Seattle. 

Still looks a little dangerous as the defenders really seems to put his head down and in harms way but I passed this on to my son’s coach (3rd grade) in case he might find it helpful. 

Bird, we have been teaching Heads Up Football in South Carolina for a few years. In this case the defender should have used better near foot placement to the blockers near hip, inside shoulder impact to blockers outside pec, and he keeps outside contain...👍

I think it is harder to call it on the offense because his back is to the ball. Slight defender advantage. JMO

I started playing Rugby at Auburn in the early 70's and played until 2 years ago.  In the late 80's early 90's Rugby changed its tackling to what you see in this video.  I also have done some coaching of both Men's rugby teams and an assistant at Allen HS for a few years when my youngest son was playing. The tracking drill is key to the technique as you need to be in position to execute properly. In the drills you repeat the process of tracking and the form of the tackle in a game you very seldom are in ideal position as the runners don't always cooperate. Still the better the position the better and safer the tackle. 

Ideally you track inside hip as you approach runner you put your leading foot between runners feet head up back flat shoulder striking at waist or top of legs head behind runners butt and you wrap legs.  You can put head behind or in front but ideally behind as if in front as the knees of the runner comes up you can get your bell rung. 

As I said during a game you don't always get ideal position.  One other key thing about Rugby when you tackle you must attempt to wrap if you just make a big hit without attempting to wrap you can get a yellow or red card. Yellow card and you go to sin-bin for 10 minutes and your team plays down a player during that time red card you are out for balance of game and team plays down one player balance of game. The emphasis on technique with wrapping really cuts down on head injuries and improves the tackling. I am seeing it more and more in HS football in Texas.

interesting ... we were always taught to put head in front.  its actually kind of weird to watch it this way.  really cool that he would go through the effort of putting this video out there.  any idea when this video was made?  recent?

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Not sure other places, but it's catching on in Texas

are they calling RBs for lowering their heads at point of contact? ....if not, there is almost no way the tackler can get low enough to tackle a guy coming right at him.  Watching the UF/Mia game the other night and the Mia running back hit the UF tackler...helmet first in the chest which stunned the defender but nothing called on the RB for leading with the helmet.     

From my observation RBs are responsible for most helmet to helmet hits and until they are called for targeting or some variation of that penalty,  the issue will not be fairly resolved. :dunno:

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I started playing Rugby at Auburn in the early 70's and played until 2 years ago.

One of my favorite bumper stickers, seen around the Auburn campus when I was there : "It takes leather balls to play rugby".

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I started playing Rugby at Auburn in the early 70's and played until 2 years ago.  In the late 80's early 90's Rugby changed its tackling to what you see in this video.  I also have done some coaching of both Men's rugby teams and an assistant at Allen HS for a few years when my youngest son was playing. The tracking drill is key to the technique as you need to be in position to execute properly. In the drills you repeat the process of tracking and the form of the tackle in a game you very seldom are in ideal position as the runners don't always cooperate. Still the better the position the better and safer the tackle. 

Ideally you track inside hip as you approach runner you put your leading foot between runners feet head up back flat shoulder striking at waist or top of legs head behind runners butt and you wrap legs.  You can put head behind or in front but ideally behind as if in front as the knees of the runner comes up you can get your bell rung. 

As I said during a game you don't always get ideal position.  One other key thing about Rugby when you tackle you must attempt to wrap if you just make a big hit without attempting to wrap you can get a yellow or red card. Yellow card and you go to sin-bin for 10 minutes and your team plays down a player during that time red card you are out for balance of game and team plays down one player balance of game. The emphasis on technique with wrapping really cuts down on head injuries and improves the tackling. I am seeing it more and more in HS football in Texas.

Went to one of the rugby club matches one time when I was at AU. During  a break in the action, one of the players runs over to the sidelines and yells to the "crowd", "Does anyone have a cigarette?" Girl sheepishly says, "Yeah, I do." 

"Can you light one?"
*Lights one*
"Thanks. Can you take a really big drag off it?"
*Really big drag*
*Dude mimics her, pretending to inhale the smoke into his own lungs*
"Ahhh, that's much better. Thanks!" 
*Runs back onto the field*

The rugby dudes I knew in ATL were straight up insane. 

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This really was the hardest thing to change. Forever players have been told, "head across the bow". Now we are teaching that the head needs to be behind. It's a process.

Archived