Could Siposs Be An Unheralded Hero?

AUFriction

I was just listening to a podcast. The folks on the podcast said that they’d seen him punt this year and were blown away. One of the people on the podcast mentioned that he almost expected Siposs’s punting to yield several turnovers the year. Another joked that he would probably break the Jumbotron in the stadium Saturday with one of his punts. 

Has anyone else heard anything like this about Siposs?

I have nothing tangible to add but I will say that I cannot WAIT to see him run a fake punt.

I hope he sets a couple of records like...

-Fewest punts in a season

-Most games without a punt

32 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I have nothing tangible to add but I will say that I cannot WAIT to see him run a fake punt.

I second that. 

From what I saw Siposs now has three different types of kicks in his arsenal.  One of those is the end-over-end rugby kick.  That kick is extremely hard to field. 

Yes!  A thread about my man Siposs.  Seriously think he is going to have major improvement this year.  He was pretty good last year with 42 yard avg.  With a full year of experience playing American football in live games, and with the leg strength drills in offseason,  watch out!

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Yes!  A thread about my man Siposs.  Seriously think he is going to have major improvement this year.  He was pretty good last year with 42 yard avg.  With a full year of experience playing American football in live games, and with the leg strength drills in offseason,  watch out!

Ordinarily, I wouldn't really say that a Punter has experience playing American football. 🤫

However, I would not be surprised for Siposs to be the exception to the rule. 💪😎🤙

Siposs can absolutely be a hero. It will be an unsung hero, but a hero none the less. 

We haven't had a REAL weapon in the punting game since Steven Clark. Clark was the definition of an unsung hero in 2013.

Siposs can ABSOLUTELY become that weapon in 2019. 

11 hours ago, AUBwins said:

What I like about him is he seems to be able to place the ball really well. An impressive average distance on the punt is what gets the chicks but it's all about net after returns for me, field position, etc. That's why Steven Clark was so good. His punts never went terribly far but they simply did not get returned due to hang time and he was a wizard at setting it down inside the 10. Siposs seems to be able to get decent distance on his kicks but he also seems to place the ball really well and make returns very difficult. 

Special teams are a big feather in Gus's cap, IMO. They were only a liability once and that was due to injury. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What I like about him is he seems to be able to place the ball really well. An impressive average distance on the punt is what gets the chicks but it's all about net after returns for me, field position, etc. That's why Steven Clark was so good. His punts never went terribly far but they simply did not get returned due to hang time and he was a wizard at setting it down inside the 10. Siposs seems to be able to get decent distance on his kicks but he also seems to place the ball really well and make returns very difficult. 

Special teams are a big feather in Gus's cap, IMO. They were only a liability once and that was due to injury. 

Yes, definitely.  That probably goes back to the rugby days.  They advance the ball with their kicks almost as much as the laterals.  Precision kicking on the run. If he can do what Steven Clark did, with a better average,  Ray Guy winner right there. 

Word is that he can drop one between the hash and sideline on command. When you paint a returner into a corner like that, it can be really hard to break off a big return. Apparently he also didn't understand all of the rules until late in the season last year, so we were pretty limited on what was asked of him.

1 hour ago, Timbeaux38 said:

Word is that he can drop one between the hash and sideline on command. When you paint a returner into a corner like that, it can be really hard to break off a big return. Apparently he also didn't understand all of the rules until late in the season last year, so we were pretty limited on what was asked of him.

How many rules does a kicker really need to know? Just kick it high and far mate...

I heard he's been working on dropping the ball inside the 10 and even the 5 a great deal. If he can do that as well as average good yardage and hang time, he'll be a weapon, and probably not too unsung a hero for long. If he consistently pins teams inside the 10, then unless our offense is basically scoring at will (and not giving him too many chances), people are going to notice and talk about it.

15 hours ago, Timbeaux38 said:

This is part of what I tried and failed to articulate. 

I've heard that Siposs with time has figured out the punting game at a potential elite level. He can now bang the really long ones too. Excited to see him play this year. I expect him to play in the NFL for years. 

Wasn't Brad Wing the australian punter for LSU that killed us flipping the field in one of our games against them? Hopefully Siposs will be around that level.

23 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Wasn't Brad Wing the australian punter for LSU that killed us flipping the field in one of our games against them? Hopefully Siposs will be around that level.

39a6ug.jpg

Archived