Summing-up AU Deficiencies vs Oregon

AU-24

Sounds like we certainly know what needs to be worked on. 

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/bigger-challenge-bigger-reward

Nix missed some throws, particularly early in the game, that require some improvement. Punt coverage was mostly poor. Kickoff coverage nearly failed during its final assignment of the night — with Chandler Wooten's ankle tackle possibly saving a touchdown that could have rendered moot Nix's and Williams' memorable collaboration.

There were not any blitz packages installed for Bo.  Poor guy was constantly under pressure and we constantly continued to run pass patterns that take time to run instead of flaring a back out in the area vacated by the blitz and short hitch routes to TEs'.

4 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Special teams and WRs are concerning. 

I didn't see much "bad" out of the receivers in the game. It will help when we get Schwartz back as well.

4 minutes ago, logan adams said:

I didn't see much "bad" out of the receivers in the game. It will help when we get Schwartz back as well.

Yeah I don’t remember any missed receptions. I think they did pretty well with a freshman quarterback who was a little off on some of his passing, but that will come around in the next two games I believe. If Hastings hadn’t been interfered with I think 🤔 he might’ve scored on that play.

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

There were not any blitz packages installed for Bo.  Poor guy was constantly under pressure and we constantly continued to run pass patterns that take time to run instead of flaring a back out in the area vacated by the blitz and short hitch routes to TEs'.

This was the biggest glaring weakness on offense on Saturday I thought. The OL looked a little sloppy in the first half, but played okay in the second. Their defense just came out blitzing and never stopped. I think that's why they were so winded in the 4th quarter. But we need to do a better job calling plays around the blitz. As much as I hate to say it, I missed seeing some of the bubble screens and drag routes that we ran last year. Need to see more of those when they are blitzing. 

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

The lack of safety valves in Gus' passing game really grinds my gears.

10 hours ago, hooverwareagle1 said:

Punt and kick-off coverage was very poor.  We need to make some changes to our coverage teams and tell our punter to kick it higher.  We will give up a TD return very soon if we don't make significant improvement in that area.  

If I remember correctly. At the beginning of the game it was said Siposs hit the jumbotron during practice before. Wondering if this weighed on his mind? Either way STs needs to get better.

Seth Williams refusal to even try to block in a game winning drive is completely unacceptable. I understand he may have been frusterated about not getting production but that was horrible. Hope Kodi and Gus clean that up. I actually thought the OL improved as the game went on. UO blitzed a lot. There were a few times Bo scramble out of the pocket when all he needed to do was step up (reminded me of JS8) . I am sure Bo will improve on this where JS8 did not. Defense is NASTY. They are certified killers. Nuff Said

4 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

The lack of safety valves in Gus' passing game really grinds my gears.

I have been critical of that in the past and was complaining about it this weekend. But after watching the replay, Bo had some outlet receivers he missed or overthrew. Some tweaks are needed the next two weeks for sure. 

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Auburn used to have some of the best special teams in the nation. WTH is going on lately?

Scott Fountain is coaching for Thuga! I hate it but that is a fact.

8 hours ago, Carnell said:

You nailed it my man. And how about a few slant patterns to go along with it.

34 minutes ago, SphyNxXx said:

Concerning the kickoff with 9 sec left, I was thinking that I would just kick it out of bounds considering our coverage issues.

Yes. Doesn't the receiving team get the ball on their own 35 on a kick out of bounds? Exactly what I thought when we got the penalty.

My main concern is will Gus ever be able to come up with plan B when plan A gets shut down? We will need it against Bama, Uga, ATM, LSU, and Fla.

46 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Scott Fountain is coaching for Thuga! I hate it but that is a fact.

There must be another good ST coach out there......Gus needs to find him.  

27 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Yes. Doesn't the receiving team get the ball on their own 35 on a kick out of bounds? Exactly what I thought when we got the penalty.

I believe the other team can choose to enforce a 5 yard penalty and force a re-kick. Or can take a 5 yard penalty from spot it went out of bounds.

https://www.ruletool.info/ncaa-rule-6-kicks/2

ARTICLE 1. Kicking Team

If a free kick goes out of bounds between the goal lines untouched by an inbounds player of Team B, it is a foul. (A.R. 6-2-1:I-II) (A.R. 4-2-1:III)

PENALTY –
Live-ball foul. Five yards from the previous spot; or five yards from the spot where the subsequent dead ball belongs to Team B; or the receiving team may put the ball in play 30 yards beyond Team A’s restraining line at the hash mark [S19].

7 hours ago, subterranean_jack said:

The offensive line was mediocre at best. Did okay on running plays. Pass blocking was virtually nonexistent. If Nix was not a superlative scrambler, Oregon would have had 10+ sacks. This with five senior starters.

Nah...watched the replay and pass blocking was fair ..as good as the other guy was getting once the RBs started helping.

10 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

You nailed it my man. And how about a few slant patterns to go along with it.

As Shug would say you are so right ArgoEagle.  I was watching the Oklahoma vs Houston game Sunday and after Houston recognized the sooners defense and blitzes the started running quick slants to the areas vacated by the blitz and Houston was getting some big plays with the quick slant.

Archived