Things I Think I Saw: AU vs Kent State

JMR

On 9/16/2019 at 10:01 AM, McLoofus said:

Because the only thing in this world that death and taxes can count on is Gus doing Gus. 

After 1000s of sprints in his lifetime, By the time the ball is snapped and put in his belly if there was a hole and if Boobee seen green? He would have blown straight through it fresh as a daisy. Sure he may be a bit winded at the end of the last play but elite athletes like him have extra and can do it. They work out that way. Blast, Blast, Blast, Blast. (Not so awesome the next day)  Bo Jackson could do 30 rushing attempts per game over and over and over pounding dragging people, hard yards.. Week in, week out.

3 minutes ago, norcuron said:

After 1000s of sprints in his lifetime, By the time the ball is snapped and put in his belly if there was a hole and if Boobee seen green? He would have blown straight through it fresh as a daisy. Sure he may be a bit winded at the end of the last play but elite athletes like him have extra and can do it. They work out that way. Blast, Blast, Blast, Blast. (Not so awesome the next day)  Bo Jackson could do 30 rushing attempts per game over and over and over pounding dragging people, hard yards.. Week in, week out.

Well, after the dive for no gain, Gus (or Caddy) yanked him.  So maybe he needs to run some more sprints.  Or Gus might consider calling a different play.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, norcuron said:

How many times have you seen Gus try this and how many times have you seen it succeed? How many other, successful offenses do you see use this tactic on a regular basis?

And, respectfully, you just brought up a guy who had an entire documentary dedicated to him based on the premise that he was a real-life superhero, as though it is somehow relevant to whether or not Boobee Whitlow up the gut- behind an interior OL who hasn't gotten a consistent push all season and who also just had to run 40 yards just to line up for another snap- is really our best option immediately after he just ran for 40 yards. Much less the fact that Bo Jackson played over 30 years ago. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

How many times have you seen Gus try this and how many times have you seen it succeed? How many other, successful offenses do you see use this tactic on a regular basis?

And, respectfully, you just brought up a guy who had an entire documentary dedicated to him based on the premise that he was a real-life superhero, as though it is somehow relevant to whether or not Boobee Whitlow up the gut- behind an interior OL who hasn't gotten a consistent push all season and who also just had to run 40 yards just to line up for another snap- is really our best option immediately after he just ran for 40 yards. Much less the fact that Bo Jackson played over 30 years ago. 

Fair enough!. But my point was lost.  If  Boobee  had a hole he could hit it and his effort should not be very much affected after a 40 yrd sprint from the last play.  Repetitive 40 yrd sprints are what they do. If ya try to run 'Nascar"  Its what you need. I wasn't saying our O lime was making big holes everywhere. You just hope they do this time. 4 out of 5 ya get stuffed.

Just now, norcuron said:

Fair enough!. But my point was lost.  If  Boobee  had a hole he could hit it and his effort should not be very much affected after a 40 yrd sprint from the last play.  Repetitive 40 yrd sprints are what they do. If ya try to run 'Nascar"  Its what you need. I wasn't saying our O lime was making big holes everywhere. You just hope they do this time. 4 out of 5 ya get stuffed.

Still disagree with this. It's simply less likely that any of those guys are going to execute at their highest level after a play like that. Do you watch NFL football? You'll almost *never* see this happen, and in fact will very often see that player subbed out. It's the same for WRs. I think maybe you overestimate how much conditioning they are capable of.

And even if 4 out of 5 is correct, why on earth would you so regularly run a play with only a 20% chance of getting meaningful yardage?

The only thing I can figure is that Gus is willing to concede first down in order to buy himself some time to call the play on 2nd down and hopefully keep the defense on their heels a bit. I'm probably wrong. No matter what his rationale is, it doesn't work. It puts our offense behind the sticks and severely diminishes the potency of those big plays. 

• Like 1

I brought up Bo cause you could shoot him up a clogged up middle and still get 3. He is what I grew up with.. He was 30 plays out of 60 often times. A super hero yes. Idle of mine. should have been QB he could throw the ball to himself for 40.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, norcuron said:

I brought up Bo cause you could shoot him up a clogged up middle and still get 3. He is what I grew up with.. He was 30 plays out of 60 often times. A super hero yes. Idle of mine. should have been QB he could throw the ball to himself for 40.

Good thing we didn't have the internet back then. Dye would've gotten eviscerated for not trying it. 

• Like 1

Again My point is BooBee would not be too phased after running a 40, to run another 40 after a 1st down. Spot the ball, move the chains and line up. Sub him out you gotta give the other team time to sub and most of all breather.. In the NFL your dealing with sweet little millionaires who will cost you a lot of money for a simple cramp in their hammy. Its why I love college football. They wanna be millionaires. 

20 minutes ago, norcuron said:

Again My point is BooBee would not be too phased after running a 40, to run another 40 after a 1st down. Spot the ball, move the chains and line up. Sub him out you gotta give the other team time to sub and most of all breather.. In the NFL your dealing with sweet little millionaires who will cost you a lot of money for a simple cramp in their hammy. Its why I love college football. They wanna be millionaires. 

Did you happen to see Boobee in the Oregon game?  He ran, I think, 3 plays in a row and was gassed and wanted to come out.  Gus kept him in for the WC at the 3 yard line.  He ran the WC to the 1 and laid there totally gassed.  If you keep a player in when he is that tired, he has a tendency to make mistakes such as fumble the ball.  Every player is different and I don’t think Boobee is a back that can run like a Bo Jackson.

We’ve seen this before with other players.  Will Hastings in the 2017 bowl game was called upon to be the primary receiver late several times in a row in that game and was gassed and he is used to running on every play.  Sometimes your body tells you what it’s going to do.  JMO

Fair again. That's up to the conditioning coach. I have wrestled 3,  3 round matches at state finals. Its whats the puke bucket is for. Elite physical condition is the LEAST you can ask from our men in orange and Blue.

Edited by norcuron
sticky keys

Conditioning should ALWAYS be a factor with modern day supplementation  . Jackson was from the 80's that was before freeze tents and Nurses loading you up with 2 cold bags of IV Lactated Ringers.  

Edited by norcuron

2 hours ago, norcuron said:

Jackson was from the 80's

Dudes like Jackson and Herschel and before that Jim Brown, Larry Csonka, John Riggins, etc. weren't normal human beings.  Coaches back then would probably have criminal charges pressed against them in today's soft world.  Even so, go run a 40 yard dash as fast as you can and then turn around and do it again 5 seconds later.  I'll bet money your time is slower.  More to do with physiology than conditioning.

And you don't have to SUB the guy out. Just call a different player's number on the next snap. This ain't Rocket Surgery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Dudes like Jackson and Herschel and before that Jim Brown, Larry Csonka, John Riggins, etc. weren't normal human beings.  Coaches back then would probably have criminal charges pressed against them in today's soft world.  Even so, go run a 40 yard dash as fast as you can and then turn around and do it again 5 seconds later.  I'll bet money your time is slower.  More to do with physiology than conditioning.

And you don't have to SUB the guy out. Just call a different player's number on the next snap. This ain't Rocket Surgery.

fairish. when I was prime I got faster. not 5 sec. its a clock after the ball is spotted.

like running backs after a few hits ya get better. ya warm up . ya get loosened out a bit, your hips get good. you "TURN ON" your pads warm up. you stride better.. Ya shake the getters. You warm up and things slow down you see better. you feel better.

18 hours ago, norcuron said:

I know what your point is. I think you're wrong. And your take on the NFL is silly.

On 9/15/2019 at 7:28 PM, AUFriction said:

Honestly, I think we are trying to keep other teams from having film. If Gatewood threw it more, other teams (including A&M) would strategize around that. By making him exclusively a runner in these early games, defenses will expect him to be only used in that capacity. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Gatewood throw a deep pass next week when they sell out to stop him from running it.

I was a little surprised about the flea flicker. We have kept things really vanilla so far, aside from that one play. I think Gus has some stuff up his sleeve for later. Also, I noticed he had Joey and Bo in at the same time during some plays. I expect that will turn into some kind of reverse pass at some point this season.

I've been hearing this "holding back for later" explanation of AU's conservative play calling for 40 years... It has never proven to be correct yet. Maybe this is finally the week?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

I've been hearing this "holding back for later" explanation of AU's conservative play calling for 40 years... It has never proven to be correct yet. Maybe this is finally the week?

Good insight. I have noted this as well. Granted the playbook opens up as the year goes on and the guys grasp and understand a more complex system and the coaches philosophy is better understood but often times its BS and they do the best they can with poor coaching.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2019 at 12:15 PM, McLoofus said:

I seem to recall this guy named Tre Mason that did that regularly and with great success even (and especially) against Alabama and they couldn't stop him. So much so that Saban was begging the Refs for a second to try a super long field goal rather than having to face more of it in OT. Wound up with something like 1800 yards for the year if I recall right. Don't recall anyone was complaining about it that year though but I could be wrong on that too. Now if you want to say Boobie is no Tre, I'm good with that. Maybe Gus thinks Boobie should be able to do it or maybe Boobie can do it and even does do it in practice. I would expect a running back to be less winded after a long run than the big defensive dudes that just chased him downfield and maybe Gus is trying to exploit that. At any rate, I don't have a problem with it this early in the season especially if he's making folks think it's a tendency and setting something up for later in the season. I do seem to recall we have thrown passes out of that same setup last year and before albeit with mixed results. But hey, what do I know...admittedly, not much.