Men vs Richmond Game Thread

Maverick.AU

This was a team effort. Wiley was a beast , Mac stopped Golden in 1st half when he was scoring on Wiley he fronted him and kept the ball away from him DP rebounded worked hard on D played a solid all around game. Samir puts up points every game and most of the time you don't notice it, Okoro had a really solid second half and we got production off the bench.  J'Von was solid again.  Our FT shooting improved in the second half but is still our number one weakness that we have to fix.

This team is so different then past Auburn teams we can post Wiley, DP, and Okoro we have length at 2 through 5 and we switch quickly and efficiently. Richmond is a team that moves the ball well on O and drives well but very seldom despite their ball movement and drives did they get open looks or uncontested shots. This team can score but right now defense and rebounding is what is winning games for us.

I would not be surprised to see us keep moving up in the polls after the last two wins.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Austin Wiley has been beasting I love it

Remember apprentice, when you know what you're talking about you have to go out on that ledge when everybody say you're wrong and be comfortable....

19 minutes ago, Butthead said:

I am being picky here but if we can shoot free throws more consistently and Wiley can improve his hands a bit this team could be really 

This team is really good.

I was concerned about this game because I expected Richmond to have much better guard play than we have been seeing. J'Von played great and AU shut down Francis. OUr D is relentless. I am starting to think that CBP knows what he is doing!!!

The difference between game 1 and game 7 is really something. If we keep improving we could be really dangerous in March. 

I am so impressed with this team so far. Who would have thought they would still be undefeated 7 games in? I thought they would still be a solid team this year with who was coming back and the new blood coming in, but they are waaaaay further along in developing as a team then I expected. I knew Doughty was a good shooter but he has stepped up in a huge way, and the last two games Wiley has quit pulling the ball down to his waist and instead kept it high and strong under the basket. Wow what a difference that makes for Wiley.  His hands are no longer suspect in my mind.  Everyone is really playing team defense and putting out maximum effort. How fun it is watching this team play and get even better!  We are VERY lucky to have Bruce Pearl as Auburn's coach and we need to keep him here for as long as we can whatever the cost!  Auburn could soon be widely considered a destination school for the top recruits in the country if they keep it up. 

Man, I love the athleticism of this team. Lots of mixing and matching going on but we’ve got 10 guys getting quality minutes. Only nit to pick is free throw shooting. Nice payback for 1984 tonight!

As I watched this game unfold in the second half,  I couldn't help but be reminded of Bruce Pearl's emphasis on defense first. Thisa team is not yet the defensive team that he had last season, but the mantra is already paying dividends. These guys have bought into his syastem and it is paying off, despite the fact that they have a ways to go to gel offensively.

5 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Duke just beaten by Stephen f Austin 😳

AUSTIN FREAKING WILEY TOTALLY OWWWWWWWWWWWNED BROOKLYN ANNNNNNNNNND New Mexico and Richmond!!!!! Freaking MVP of our 2 games collectively!!! WOW O WOW!!!! He shut me the hell up. @Tiger TAKE THIS W FLAG AND RUN AROUND TOWN WAVING IT!!!! lol. I should of listened to you fam!!! You told me with Wiley fully healthy and us losing a lot of essential personel last season that Wiley was going to finally be able to show off his IMMENSE TALENT. I admit I bailed way way way to early after a couple of games this season but he basically has told me to STFU AND KNOW MY ROLE!!!! YES SIR MR WILEY!! lol. He was DOMINANT in Brooklyn!! THEY CANNOT STOP HIM THEY CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN HIM!!!! WAR DAMN EAGLE AND WAR DAMN AUSTIN WILEY!!! Sorry I ever doubted you!!!! 

The way we are currently looking and seemingly getting better every game, do you think we could reach conference play undefeated?  We are for sure looking better than I thought we would.  Way way too early but I like what I am seeing.  Could be another special year.  Do you think there is any chance that Okoro stays a second year before leaving?  One last questions, do you think our early success will have any bearing on our current recruit targets?

Seeing Duke lose, it just goes to show how hard it is to go undefeated in the early season. I don't care if the strength of schedule isn't has high as it was last year and I don't care if we're not playing a ranked team. Auburn has played and dominated most teams we've played this year, some of which have been predicted to either win their conference or finish second. We're going out there and getting better every game. We didn't play all that great on the offensive end against Richmond and still beat them by 14 and were up by 20+ points during stretches in the second half. This team is only going to get better and if Wiley and Doughty keep playing the way they have been, I could see us being undefeated going into conference play and I never would have expected that after losing Brown, Okeke, Harper, Dunbar, and Spencer.

@GwillMac6,  YOU HEAR THAT??? IT IS THE MICROWAVE GOING OFF AFTER WARMING UP YOUR GLASS OF STFU ABOUT WILEY!!! HAHAHA!!! WWWWOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! IT IS GREAT TO HAVE A SPORT TO BE EXCITED ABOUT!!!!! WAR DAMN EAGLE AND WAR DAMN BBBBRRRRUUUUUUUUCCCCEEEE!!!!!! LET’S GGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I’m pretty sure Richmond beat SFA so that makes us better then Duke 😁

EDIT: Fact checked myself here and Richmond did not beat SFA. Richmond beat SFPA...i'm sure you all can understand the mistake lol

10 hours ago, fredst said:

Man, I love the athleticism of this team. Lots of mixing and matching going on but we’ve got 10 guys getting quality minutes. Only nit to pick is free throw shooting. Nice payback for 1984 tonight!

Jesus do I remember that one I was driving from Atl to Miami and I had to stop in Lake City Fl to find red neck bar that was located upstairs in a hotel just off I75 to watch it

Archived