Chad Morris to have full control

Maverick.AU

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

That's what he does. He's so lost he will try to placate the fans every once in a while then when we think he's changing for the better he goes back to the same old BS.

Exactly.

He's made announcements like this before.....and before.....and before.......

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tiger said:

That's what he does. He's so lost he will try to placate the fans every once in a while then when we think he's changing for the better he goes back to the same old BS.

I would normally agree with you especially about using the TE's. But something is different. Gus has said before he was handing over the O to his OC then reneged on it but some things make me think it might be different this time. One Chad Morris is not a yes man, two the Bicknell hire is not a normal Gus hire, and three the change with the committed QB it is like Gus is actually letting Chad find the QB he wants to run his offense, and finally bringing in Frazier who is a prototypical TE .

Time will tell or maybe I am being sucked in by Gus and we will get same old Gus. I hope Gus has grown.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Yep. I hope he really listens. I would hate for him to be the most hated coach at auburn 

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I would normally agree with you especially about using the TE's. But something is different. Gus has said before he was handing over the O to his OC then reneged on it but some things make me think it might be different this time. One Chad Morris is not a yes man, two the Bicknell hire is not a normal Gus hire, and three the change with the committed QB it is like Gus is actually letting Chad find the QB he wants to run his offense, and finally bringing in Frazier who is a prototypical TE .

Time will tell or maybe I am being sucked in by Gus and we will get same old Gus. I hope Gus has grown.

I hope soooo badly that you're right. I just have to see it to believe it at this point in the Gus era

On 2/5/2020 at 2:46 PM, Tiger said:

this is exactly what I was telling ppl a month ago. You cant compare his relationship with these 20 year old guys to his peer-to-peer situation with Chad. I think they'll definitely work together in practice, maybe Gus will even have some influence on the GP, but Chad is going to call what is for the most part, his offense

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

Does this mean we're not an uphill run- double play action offense anymore?

Don't you know when it's 3rd and long your supposed to keep your TE and backs in to Max protect so the other two receivers have time to beat the seven defenders covering them and get open. 

This whole thread reminds of the great Oscar Wilde quote: “Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience”. Substitute “Gus” for “Second marriage” and it seems like a nice summation of Gus’ tenure.

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

This whole thread reminds of the great Oscar Wilde quote: “Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience”. Substitute “Gus” for “Second marriage” and it seems like a nice summation of Gus’ tenure.

I totally agree with everyone saying that certain things seem different this time.

I totally agree with Oscar Wilde.

I am much more comfortable with being proven wrong than with having high expectations go unrequited.

Ain't sh** changed and ain't sh** gon change.  Your move, Gus.

I'm concerned that it's not going to matter which way we arrange the deck chairs if Gus can't recruit the OT position.  Chad's got a tough situation to overcome.

We keep dipping into the transfer portal and JUCOs just to have a manageable line.  Jackie Sherrill built a good team at MSU out of JUCOs, and it worked until it didn't, and then it got bad fast.

3 hours ago, fredst said:

And Oscar Gamble once said, "They don't think it be like it is, but it do!"

On 2/6/2020 at 8:42 AM, lutzcammed said:

I just spit my drink out when I read this.

Well at least he confirms he does read and hear what we say. If this works out well then maybe he will listen more often. 🤔

On 2/6/2020 at 1:40 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

he is the most hated...

On 2/7/2020 at 8:18 AM, AUDevil said:

I'm concerned that it's not going to matter which way we arrange the deck chairs if Gus can't recruit the OT position.  Chad's got a tough situation to overcome.

We keep dipping into the transfer portal and JUCOs just to have a manageable line.  Jackie Sherrill built a good team at MSU out of JUCOs, and it worked until it didn't, and then it got bad fast.

Well... The spread/veer offense was designed to allow teams with less than ideal OLs to thrive. 

Maybe Chad and Gus will take advantage.

9 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Well... The spread/veer offense was designed to allow teams with less than ideal OLs to thrive. 

Maybe Chad and Gus will take advantage.

While you are correct, the veer is an offense with QB under center which Gus and Chad have no shown that type of scheme so I think that will be out but sure would mind see it return to Auburn.

On 2/11/2020 at 7:27 PM, Carnell said:

While you are correct, the veer is an offense with QB under center which Gus and Chad have no shown that type of scheme so I think that will be out but sure would mind see it return to Auburn.

It can also be run out of the shotgun. 

In 2010 we ran a modified (inverted)  inside veer. The read option plays that Cam would run were actually inside inverted veer plays and not the outside read option that Nick Marshall ran. 

Rich Rodriguez runs a variation of the veer as does Todd Graham, Urban Meyer, and even Gary Gary Patterson with then-offensive coordinator Justin Fuentes.

Heck even Bama ran some veer with Hurts. 

http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-evolution-of-the-inverted-veerpower-read-and-of-alabama-and-clemsons-newest-wrinkle-the-toss-read#sthash.pnVqrnc7.dpbs

Thats a good read on the evolution of the veer from what it was (what you said) to what it is now. 

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It can also be run out of the shotgun. 

In 2010 we ran a modified (inverted)  inside veer. The read option plays that Cam would run were actually inside inverted veer plays and not the outside read option that Nick Marshall ran. 

Rich Rodriguez runs a variation of the veer as does Todd Graham, Urban Meyer, and even Gary Gary Patterson with then-offensive coordinator Justin Fuentes.

Heck even Bama ran some veer with Hurts. 

http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-evolution-of-the-inverted-veerpower-read-and-of-alabama-and-clemsons-newest-wrinkle-the-toss-read#sthash.pnVqrnc7.dpbs

Thats a good read on the evolution of the veer from what it was (what you said) to what it is now. 

The original post stated that the veer is a good offense for teams that dont have the best offensive lines in which I concurred.   While the inverted veer and the veer is similar a difference is the blocking schemes.  In the veer the fullback is the dive guy.  The primary read is the the tackle.  If the tackle jumps to the inside the QB leaves the ball with the fullback.  The DT really takes himself out of the play without any power blocking required.  If the QB pulls out and continues with the double option, the DE is unblocked an the OT puts a seal block on the linebacker keeping him from helping out on pitch guy no power blocking required.  However in the inverted veer the first read is off the unblocked DE not off the DT.  If the DE stays back then the QB will keep the ball for the power play which requires power blocking and a good offensive line while the veer and wishbone do not require a lot of power blocking and is a good option for a team without a superior OL.  While the inverted veer requires an OL that is superior at power blocking and since the inverted veer happens from the shotgun the blockers have to maintain their blocks longer.

It is my opinion that Chad, even with the disaster at Arky has shown at Clemson and SMU he is one of the best OCs in college ball. With his buy out at Arky he didn’t need a job. Considering all of that I truly think that Gus accepted the deal for Chad to have total control to come here. I doubt Chad would have took it any other way. I also think Gus is figuring out that he has to make some changes to his brand of offense which everyone has to constantly. With the play action getting much more the thing in CFB today, he realized he needs Chad to help him reinvent his offense. Just my thoughts . 

Will CCM have control on whether or not JHS will get LED lights?

source.gif

If we hired Gus for his innovative offense...and now that offense sucks (which it does)...and he’s handing that responsibility over to Chad...then what do we need Gus for? Steele manages the defense, our assistants do the recruiting heavy lifting...and we’re now paying Gus 49 mil to NOT coach the offense? 

Before the Gus brigade arrives...I’m well aware my knowledge of how important Gus is to our successful recruiting is limited. But I figure its offset by his complete lack of competence in utilizing said recruits...

14 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

If we hired Gus for his innovative offense...and now that offense sucks (which it does)...and he’s handing that responsibility over to Chad...then what do we need Gus for? Steele manages the defense, our assistants do the recruiting heavy lifting...and we’re now paying Gus 49 mil to NOT coach the offense? 

Before the Gus brigade arrives...I’m well aware my knowledge of how important Gus is to our successful recruiting is limited. But I figure its offset by his complete lack of competence in utilizing said recruits...

Hes a actual good head coach. He's a good CEO head coach. He needs to commit fully to that and stop trying to meddle with his OC. Because like you said he has totally lost the ability to field a competent offense. 

We thought we hired a offensive genius but in the end we actually found a pretty good head coach. If he would just fully accept that role and go all in on being a CEO head coach we could be really good with Morris as OC.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hes a actual good head coach. He's a good CEO head coach. He needs to commit fully to that and stop trying to meddle with his OC. Because like you said he has totally lost the ability to field a competent offense. 

We thought we hired a offensive genius but in the end we actually found a pretty good head coach. If he would just fully accept that role and go all in on being a CEO head coach we could be really good with Morris as OC.

You’re right. I was being a bit facetious but I can recognize his positive attributes. 

22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I dont think he is even a good CEO coach considering the incompetent hires he has made on the offensive side of the ball. The majority are high school coaches and( in the case of OL coaches ) retreads.

Archived