COVID-19 possible affect on summer workouts ?

AlaskanFAN

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Alabama-closes-non-essential-businesses-Auburn-extends-suspension-of-on-campus-instruction-through-summer-amid-coronavirus-COVID-19-pandemic-145458654/

Auburn University students to remain home through at least June

Dates for social distancing and their effects on Auburn University continue to stretch further into the summer months.

Auburn announced it is suspending on-campus instruction for its first two summer sessions (through June 23) due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The final session (session 3) begins June 29 and ends July 31, and it, too, may be delivered remotely instead of in-person. A decision on whether to continue instruction online and not on campus through July 31 will be made on or before June 1, according to the university.

Such decisions likely place Auburn football in the crosshairs as some coaches and players hope to return to campus in the summer to conduct a makeshift spring practice in June or July. Should Auburn University decide to cancel in-person classes in July, it’s possible student-athletes will not be allowed on campus to participate in drills. Still, no official word has come from Auburn and the SEC as it remains in indefinite hiatus after canceling the regularly-scheduled spring practices set for March and April.

A request seeking clarity on the subject was not immediately returned by Auburn athletics director Allen Greene.

"While I am hopeful that the risks associated with COVID-19 will lessen in the coming weeks and months, Auburn must continue to do its part to decrease the chances of transmitting the virus and protect the health of others," university president Jay Gogue said in a news release. "I know this decision is disappointing for our students and faculty who had planned to study abroad this summer. However, I am confident that limiting travel and continuing remote instruction for the foreseeable future is the best way that Auburn can actively help to slow the transmission of the virus."
The university announced earlier this week it will combine its spring and summer graduation ceremonies starting Aug. 8, though that is a tentative date contingent on public-health circumstances.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football is secondary at the moment. The sooner people realize this the better. It will get worse before it gets better.

60 million Americans were infected with Swine flu. 274,000 hospitalizations and 22,469 deaths. And hardly anyone remembers. We all should just stay in place as much as possible. 

1 hour ago, WarTim said:

60 million Americans were infected with Swine flu. 274,000 hospitalizations and 22,469 deaths. And hardly anyone remembers. We all should just stay in place as much as possible. 

websites I have seen mostly say between 17,000 and 19,000 swine flu deaths  in america.

swine flu  lasted from January 2009 to August 2010.  That is 20 months!  10 times longer than the current COVID has been around.   as of right now 2,400 people have died in america from COVID-19 in 2 months.   IF  the COVID cases magically STOP growing and stay were they are  right now,  we are looking at 20,000 -24,000 deaths in 20 months.  BUT corona is still growing exponentially.  

DEATH is only one of the possible negative outcomes with CORONA.  There are many serious  lifelong complications from even moderate cases of Corona.   

12 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

websites I have seen mostly say between 17,000 and 19,000 swine flu deaths  in america.

swine flu  lasted from January 2009 to August 2010.  That is 20 months!  10 times longer than the current COVID has been around.   as of right now 2,400 people have died in america from COVID-19 in 2 months.   IF  the COVID cases magically STOP growing and stay were they are  right now,  we are looking at 20,000 -24,000 deaths in 20 months.  BUT corona is still growing exponentially.  

DEATH is only one of the possible negative outcomes with CORONA.  There are many serious  lifelong complications from even moderate cases of Corona.   

Not only that. Swine flu was really just a variation of the seasonal flu. I don’t think anyone thinks it was actually spread by pigs. The flu kills tens of thousands every year. The cdc website has the numbers. ‘17 or ‘18 had like 40~60 thousand flu deaths. Covid 19 is way more contagious hence the need to use isolation to slow it. 

6 hours ago, alexava said:

Not only that. Swine flu was really just a variation of the seasonal flu. I don’t think anyone thinks it was actually spread by pigs. The flu kills tens of thousands every year. The cdc website has the numbers. ‘17 or ‘18 had like 40~60 thousand flu deaths. Covid 19 is way more contagious hence the need to use isolation to slow it. 

That is just in the US.  Seasonal flu kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year.  That is an average of 25,000 to 50,000 deaths per month.

So far, CV deaths in the world stand at 31,000 over 3 months, so it is not close to the number of deaths due to the "regular flu".   

(Aside: No one seemed to panic or shut down things because 300,000 people were dying of the flu every year)

Not that deaths are good, but so far, CV is not killing more than the regular flu does each year and we don't have a vaccine for CV yet.

Interestingly, on average, 150,000 people die in the world EVERY DAY!!  That is about 1 MILLION deaths a week!  This may help put the 30,000 CV deaths in perspective.

2 hours ago, LakeBum said:

That is just in the US.  Seasonal flu kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year.  That is an average of 25,000 to 50,000 deaths per month.

So far, CV deaths in the world stand at 31,000 over 3 months, so it is not close to the number of deaths due to the "regular flu".   

(Aside: No one seemed to panic or shut down things because 300,000 people were dying of the flu every year)

Not that deaths are good, but so far, CV is not killing more than the regular flu does each year and we don't have a vaccine for CV yet.

Interestingly, on average, 150,000 people die in the world EVERY DAY!!  That is about 1 MILLION deaths a week!  This may help put the 30,000 CV deaths in perspective.

It’s clear that you have steadfast views. However, I don’t think medically/scientifically that you have the whole picture. Maybe you do, and I’m completely wrong.  I would strongly encourage us both to take a look at the data to see if it would change our minds.

One thing that strikes me is the amount of people that have died in the US is even with some semblance of social distancing. Can you imagine if we didn’t take any of those precautions?

All I can tell you is that I’ve been working ER for 10+ years. I’ve been through flu seasons. This is something terrible and new. It’s unreal. We haven’t seen the worst of it. Those of us on the front lines appreciate any efforts made to keep it at bay. 

31 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

It’s clear that you have steadfast views. However, I don’t think medically/scientifically that you have the whole picture. Maybe you do, and I’m completely wrong.  I would strongly encourage us both to take a look at the data to see if it would change our minds.

One thing that strikes me is the amount of people that have died in the US is even with some semblance of social distancing. Can you imagine if we didn’t take any of those precautions?

All I can tell you is that I’ve been working ER for 10+ years. I’ve been through flu seasons. This is something terrible and new. It’s unreal. We haven’t seen the worst of it. Those of us on the front lines appreciate any efforts made to keep it at bay. 

These first two  sentences say  it all. 

If I can add one more thing:

I suspect that this situation is going to get worse. But let’s presume that it does not. A job well done would mean that many would say that we overreacted or over-prepared. I would be willing to take that result. 

3 hours ago, LakeBum said:

I cant believe someone is still trying to compare this to the flu.   WAKE THE **** UP!    IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT  DEATH!!!   There are lifelong complications for a large portion of people that get Corona. (lung problems, E.D.,  impotence, heart issues,  sterilization etc.)

COVID is spreading so fast that it is overwhelming hospitals. The recovery time for those with moderate to severe cases is 2-4 weeks in the hospital.

AIDS  (770 000 per year) kills more people per year than syphilis (107,000) .   That does not mean I want syphilis spreading around like wild fire.  .    ,  

14 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

If I can add one more thing:

I suspect that this situation is going to get worse. But let’s presume that it does not. A job well done would mean that many would say that we overreacted or over-prepared. I would be willing to take that result. 

"Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist. Everything we do after will seem inadequate." - Michael Leavitt 

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I cant believe someone is still trying to compare this to the flu.   WAKE THE **** UP!    IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT  DEATH!!!   There are lifelong complications for a large portion of people that get Corona. (lung problems, E.D.,  impotence, heart issues,  sterilization etc.)

I guess some have missed my point.  It is not to downplay how serious CV is or how awful it is for those that die from it (or have lifelong complications).  Rather it is to highlight how deadly the flu is and how many people will say don't compare CV to the flu because the flu is, well, "just the flu".  I was one of those that thought getting the flu was no big deal, just an inconvenient week of feeling weak, coughing, fever, etc. I would get over it and while not pleasant, I went on with my life. I never once thought, geez, I could die from the flu! The only reason I starting getting the flu vaccine every year was to avoid the inconvenience.  It wasn't until CV hit that I did a lot of research and found how deadly the flu really is and yes, it too can have lifelong complications after you recover.  https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/flu-long-term-effects

I had no idea a half a million people die from "just the flu" every year.   I was astonished by the numbers and really had trouble believing it.  Then again, I was flabbergasted to learn that over 1 million people die every week of the year.   

At the end of the day, if you are sick, stay home.  No matter whether you have CV or "just the flu".

8 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

I guess some have missed my point.  It is not to downplay how serious CV is or how awful it is for those that die from it (or have lifelong complications).  Rather it is to highlight how deadly the flu is and how many people will say don't compare CV to the flu because the flu is, well, "just the flu".  I was one of those that thought getting the flu was no big deal, just an inconvenient week of feeling weak, coughing, fever, etc. I would get over it and while not pleasant, I went on with my life. I never once thought, geez, I could die from the flu! The only reason I starting getting the flu vaccine every year was to avoid the inconvenience.  It wasn't until CV hit that I did a lot of research and found how deadly the flu really is and yes, it too can have lifelong complications after you recover.  https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/flu-long-term-effects

I had no idea a half a million people die from "just the flu" every year.   I was astonished by the numbers and really had trouble believing it.  Then again, I was flabbergasted to learn that over 1 million people die every week of the year.   

At the end of the day, if you are sick, stay home.  No matter whether you have CV or "just the flu".

No doubt the flu is bad and clearly the stats are what they are, that should not be understated. The difference to me, and I admittedly know literally nothing, is the difference in how this is spread. In short, it’s incredibly contagious. Like, we’ve never seen something like before contagious. 

1 hour ago, LakeBum said:

You only transmit the flu while you are sick and you KNOW you are sick. C19 is being transmitted for weeks by people who are just fine. That and the fact that it is overwhelming the healthcare system is the difference between it and the flu. If hospitals worldwide have ever been overwhelmed with flu cases I am not aware. 

On 3/28/2020 at 9:30 AM, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Exactly especially in elder people you could wind up with serious lung damage. 

2 hours ago, LakeBum said:

Cool. We can agree that flu is bad news too. Thanks for clarifying your position. 
wde

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

No doubt the flu is bad and clearly the stats are what they are, that should not be understated. The difference to me, and I admittedly know literally nothing, is the difference in how this is spread. In short, it’s incredibly contagious. Like, we’ve never seen something like before contagious. 

Correct. The transmission of this has unbelievable. Just like the nursing homes. I’m sure there was not a lot of contact there . Just being in the vicinity was apparently enough. 

Not down playing seriousness of this virus, but an interesting history lesson here:

• 2000 - Y2K
  • 2001 - Anthrax
  • 2002 - West Nile Virus
  • 2003 - SARS
  • 2005 - Bird Flu
  • 2006 - Ecoli
  • 2008 - Economic Collapse
  • 2009 - Swine Flu
  • 2010 - BP Oil Spill
  • 2012 - Mayan calendar said we were all going to die
  • 2013 - North Korea
  • 2014 - Ebola
  • 2015 - ISIS
  • 2016 - Zeka Virus
  • 2020 - Corona Virus

39 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Not down playing seriousness of this virus, but an interesting history lesson here:

• 2000 - Y2K
  • 2001 - Anthrax
  • 2002 - West Nile Virus
  • 2003 - SARS
  • 2005 - Bird Flu
  • 2006 - Ecoli
  • 2008 - Economic Collapse
  • 2009 - Swine Flu
  • 2010 - BP Oil Spill
  • 2012 - Mayan calendar said we were all going to die
  • 2013 - North Korea
  • 2014 - Ebola
  • 2015 - ISIS
  • 2016 - Zeka Virus
  • 2020 - Corona Virus

What is the lesson?

21 hours ago, alexava said:

If hospitals worldwide have ever been overwhelmed with flu cases I am not aware. 

The Spanish Flu of 1918 overwhelmed the world's hospitals. https://www.google.com/search?q=spanish+flu+1918&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=rJyfDXvDQUsIGM%3A%2CE9iseRCPWA32IM%2C%2Fm%2F01c751&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQZW7HkcqSwtc1eB9yiczS0VR2JVg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjN6IiAu8LoAhXzOX0KHVveC4UQ_B0wFXoECAoQAw#imgrc=rJyfDXvDQUsIGM:

Here's another good idea of how it went with the flu in 1918:  https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-pandemic-dead

On 3/29/2020 at 5:29 AM, LakeBum said:

It is somewhat insulting to those of us working in healthcare and fighting to identify, treat, and protect patients/families/those we work with - that we continue to try to disregard the impact of what is going on.  

This is not about total deaths, this is about people dying unnecessarily due to complete overwhelming of hospitals, ICUs and ventilator capacity in Many urban areas.  If you want to compare this to the flu - go to NYC and look at the 1000 bed tent hospital in Central Park.  Go to NOLA and see that they do not have ICU beds or vents -  you can look at data in a vacuum, but the impact on the patients and families that have no access to healthcare is devastating and often fatal.    If you live in NYC and have a need for medical attention - you have no access.  My brother lives in the city with wife and 3 kids... and I have told him that if anyone gets sick they MUST start driving and get as far from the city as they can.   You can't social distance with your population is stacked vertically .... so it has all hit at once - MG festival had the same impact on NOLA.      this is not an over - reaction.  This is not the flu.  This is not swine flu.  People don't remember swine flu because it did not overwhelm healthcare -  COVID 19 has - in multiple places around the world.  And it has not peaked yet - not even in the worst locations in the US.  Projections are that NYC will continue to worsen for another week.    Likely thousands more will die - many because they could not get the care that they needed, and would have been available otherwise. 

At the very beginning I was one of the people who thought we were over hyping this I also used Flu stats as one of the reasons. What I have seen has changed my mind. The flu is spread out  over a long time and at no time did it ever totally overwhelm the capacity of the system to treat it. This is proving to be different. I have 4 different nieces who are Nurses. One in Florida, One in Texas, One in DC area and one in Long Island. The Long Island nurse is overwhelmed and the Florida nurse is getting there, the Texas nurse got coughed on by  Patient who tested positive but Thank God my niece tested negative. All are complaining about either shortages or will soon have shortages of protective gear.  None have ever seen anything like this.

Another huge difference is knowledge yes the Flu kills a lot of people every year but we know enough about it to have vaccines that are fairly effective and medicines that we know work against it. Because of the Vaccines we are able to keep the number of infected people's numbers smaller so we have the capability to treat those who get it.  This is more like the Spanish Flu in 1918 that decimated the world. There was no vaccine and the medical establishment was overwhelmed at that time. We have no Vaccine for this and we have no known treatments but luckily because of improved Scientific capabilities we may have some effective treatments in the not to distant future. At this time distancing and slowing the spread is the best we can do.  That is why Cities with high density populations and areas like Florida and New Orleans because of Spring Break and Mardi Gras are being hit proportionately harder than areas like Wyoming.      

Archived