Play the season without fans at the stadium

doc4aday

39 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

If we are waiving our rights to health care bc we don’t do everything right Relative to covid (I do wear a mask so not arguing that), should those who smoke, Drink heavily, are 40 pounds overweight or otherwise don’t follow health guidelines in general, wave their right as well?  

Those  people absolutely screw themselves when it is time for them to get a heart transplant. So yes they do waive their rights. Thanks for playing. Go try to get a liver transplant after refusing to stop drinking . So now, you want us medical people to put our safety on the line even more so then it already is because you are choosing to forego any type of safety practices . It is one thing of you are practicing to the best of your ability . It is another if you are just being downright defiant .

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 hours ago, DAG said:

But you SHOULD be wearing a mask as you are a person considered the most at high risk. This whole thread you have said those who are at the highest risk should isolate themselves from the rest. Yet, you do not do that and you don’t even adhere to basic CDC recommendations. Earlier in this thread you said you would not waive your rights if you need medical attention, but you are willing to just go out knowing you are considered at risk. 

I don't consider myself to be  at most high risk. I do not have any underlying medical issues. I saw recently, right here on my living room TV, the Surgeon General of the United States say not to wear a mask. The basics cannot have changed that much. I recently saw an ad for a mask that "Blocks 99.8% of bacteria". Of course, hearing that, a virus would say "hold my beer" and go right on through.

No, I won't waive my right to medical care, why should I? I pay an obscene amount of money for full private coverage every month. I would sign a waiver relieving any person or business from liability should I catch the virus and it actually makes me sick enough to go to the Dr. (An unlikely event)

As noted above, if the employees of an establishment are wearing masks I'll wear one as a courtesy. If they aren't, why should I?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I don't consider myself to be  at most high risk. I do not have any underlying medical issues. I saw recently, right here on my living room TV, the Surgeon General of the United States say not to wear a mask. The basics cannot have changed that much. I recently saw an ad for a mask that "Blocks 99.8% of bacteria". Of course, hearing that, a virus would say "hold my beer" and go right on through.

No, I won't waive my right to medical care, why should I? I pay an obscene amount of money for full private coverage every month. I would sign a waiver relieving any person or business from liability should I catch the virus and it actually makes me sick enough to go to the Dr. (An unlikely event)

As noted above, if the employees of an establishment are wearing masks I'll wear one as a courtesy. If they aren't, why should I?

You don’t consider yourself that but every single piece of evidence out there says individuals greater than 65 are at risk for obtaining the virus . Would you like me to explain the anatomy of that for you ? 

The funny thing is you talk about paying an enormous amount of money for private insurance . Newsflash, private insurance remains high in this country because we are a nation that provides reactive care. If people did the simple things majority of the time that wouldn’t be the case. That’s a whole different discussion . 

I pay for car insurance. That doesn’t mean I should just drive like a mad man on the road. 

2 hours ago, japantiger said:

have to suck face to get this

How did you come to that conclusion in the article?

• Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet)
  • Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks
  • These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs
  • COVID-19 may be spread by people who are not showing symptoms

Why wear a mask when others aren't? Because you might be the a**hole carrying the bug around. That's the main reason to wear one. Jesus. All these opinions without understanding even the most basic and well-known information.

Pat freaking Dye is an asymptomatic carrier, for crying out loud. He simultaneously is Exhibit A of who should have been completely quarantined for his own safety and poses the greatest threat to others. Yet, it sounds like some of you would have been in complete support of him wandering around Wal-Mart and signing babies with no mask on. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Pat freaking Dye is an asymptomatic carrier, for crying out loud. He simultaneously is Exhibit A of who should have been completely quarantined for his own safety and poses the greatest threat to others. Yet, it sounds like some of you would have been in complete support of him wandering around Wal-Mart and signing babies with no mask on. 

On this note, why in the hell are you going into a Walmart anyways. Pay $100.00 a year and get unlimited deliveries.

As far as wearing a mask? It's all about the one you are wearing. The homemade ones are a joke and don't do anything but put you at a higher risk, they are hot and condense you sweat and siliva and stay wet. Trapping all the things you are wearing the mask to protect you aginst.

This is like anything else in life, use common sense and you will be OK.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

On this note, why in the hell are you going into a Walmart anyways. Pay $100.00 a year and get unlimited deliveries.

As far as wearing a mask? It's all about the one you are wearing. The homemade ones are a joke and don't do anything but put you at a higher risk, they are hot and condense you sweat and siliva and stay wet. Trapping all the things you are wearing the mask to protect you aginst.

This is like anything else in life, use common sense and you will be OK.

Homemade masks are not a joke at all. From the CDC website:

CDC also advises the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others.  Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

And, as has been mentioned many times, it's mostly about preventing carriers (asymptomatic, soon-to-be symptomatic, and- hopefully not many fall into this category and are still walking around in public- regular symptomatic) from spreading it. 

As far as I know, this graphic has not been scientifically disputed and is very easy to understand:

Why Wearing a Mask is Important | Opelika & Auburn, Alabama (AL ...

The US Surgeon General says mask are 2% effective. Just saying......

15 minutes ago, WarTim said:

One freaking guy vs a whole host of experts. My goodness you can’t make this up. It is not like he has any reason corroborate with what the current administration thought is about face mask, right ? 

Why was Dr. Fauci wearing a flask mask then? 

23 minutes ago, WarTim said:

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

One freaking guy vs a whole host of experts. My goodness you can’t make this up.

Also, he said that in February. He's since changed his stance, like anyone who's actually bothered to keep up with real information instead of just cherry picking the talking points that allow them to go on being selfish and lazy. In fact, on May 13th, he made his feelings about masks quite clear:

He's also tweeted numerous times to follow CDC guidelines. There's really not much ambiguity about any of this. Tim, you need to do a better job informing yourself.

This is why Americans can't be treated like grownups. 

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Homemade masks are not a joke at all. From the CDC website:

And, as has been mentioned many times, it's mostly about preventing carriers (asymptomatic, soon-to-be symptomatic, and- hopefully not many fall into this category and are still walking around in public- regular symptomatic) from spreading it. 

As far as I know, this graphic has not been scientifically disputed and is very easy to understand:

Why Wearing a Mask is Important | Opelika & Auburn, Alabama (AL ...

That is all good and stuff. I'm told by a doctor that if the basic home mask can't wick away the moisture of your breathing and gets wet, it's a magnet for these germs. Most of these home mask need a coffee filter and that won't wick away the moisture.   Seems pretty reasonable explanation to me. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, he said that in February. He's since changed his stance, like anyone who's actually bothered to keep up with real information instead of just cherry picking the talking points that allow them to go on being selfish and lazy. In fact, on May 13th, he made his feelings about masks quite clear:

https://twitter.com/Surgeon_General/status/1260534993744470017

Tim, you need to do a better job informing yourself.

This is why Americans can't be treated like grownups. 

Thank you so much. Such dangerous rhetoric.

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

That is all good and stuff. I'm told by a doctor that if the basic home mask can't wick away the moisture of your breathing and gets wet, it's a magnet for these germs. Most of these home mask need a coffee filter and that won't wick away the moisture.   Seems pretty reasonable explanation to me. 

We're all told by countless other doctors, nurses and epidemiologists to wear a mask. If you can find a good one, great. If you can't, wear what you've got. 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Thank you so much. Such dangerous rhetoric.

So much of it, too.

Now there's an article (I won't say the source) going around telling people that there's good news about the virus being on surfaces and that people can relax. Except the CDC's guidelines haven't changed at all. All they did was go from saying "We don't know much about surfaces, be sure to disinfect high-touch surfaces and wash your hands a lot and don't touch your face" to "We know that surfaces aren't the best way to transmit the virus, be sure to disinfect high-touch surfaces and wash your hands a lot and don't touch your face". That's not good news. That's not even news. That's just a rebranding of existing information. Dangerous rhetoric.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Why wear a mask when others aren't? Because you might be the a**hole carrying the bug around. That's the main reason to wear one. Jesus. All these opinions without understanding even the most basic and well-known information.

One well understood fact is that sooner or later, most people will be exposed to the virus anyway. Masks and other restraints may delay, but they don't prevent. The curve, if there was ever going to be one, is flat. Medical facilities aren't filled with COVID-19 patients, some are nearly full because of all the "elective" surgeries such as hernia repair, spinal fusion, knee replacements and so forth were postponed and now are back logged.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So much of it, too.

Now there's an article (I don't say the source) going around telling people that there's good news about the virus being on surfaces and that people can relax. Except the CDC's guidelines haven't changed at all. All they did was go from saying "We don't know much about surfaces, be sure to disinfect high-touch surfaces and wash your hands a lot and don't touch your face" to "We know that surfaces aren't the best way to transmit the virus, be sure to disinfect high-touch surfaces and wash your hands a lot and don't touch your face". That's not good news. That's not even news. That's just a rebranding of existing information. Dangerous rhetoric.

Yep I read it that way too but unfortunately I am treating this like how I would treat talking my patients . Got to hit them on the big pieces then make it down to those intricate different messages.  

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Asymptomatic means he's had the virus, probably didn't even know it and now has the antibodies in his system. He is no longer contagious, therefore is not a "carrier" that can give the virus to others. At one point in the past he was contagious but that time is past. He's in the hospital for ongoing kidney issues not related to the virus.

Hopefully, his kidney issue will improve and allow him to once again wander around Walmart with no mask and sign baby's heads.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29204666/ex-auburn-football-coach-pat-dye-80-tests-positive-coronavirus

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Asymptomatic means he's had the virus, probably didn't even know it and now has the antibodies in his system. He is no longer contagious, therefore is not a "carrier" that can give the virus to others. At one point in the past he was contagious but that time is past. He's in the hospital for ongoing kidney issues not related to the virus.

Hopefully, his kidney issue will improve and allow him to once again wander around Walmart with no mask and sign baby's heads.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29204666/ex-auburn-football-coach-pat-dye-80-tests-positive-coronavirus

Yes but prior to that he had it , so there is no telling who he could’ve possibly passed it on to since he had no clue he had it.  I am almost willing to bet he got admitted to the hospital for kidney issues and they tested him as protocol and found out he had it. Yet, you are talking about everybody is going to get exposed, so I am going to do whatever I want. 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am almost willing to bet he got admitted to the hospital for kidney issues and they tested him as protocol and found out he had it.

Exactly right. He was tested last week as a precautionary measure since he was being seen for his kidney issues. As far as anyone knows, he still has the virus. I'm not sure why anyone is talking about it as though he used to have it and is virus-free and non-contagious now. Okay, so I can think of some reasons why.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly right. He was tested last week as a precautionary measure since he was being seen for his kidney issues. As far as anyone knows, he still has the virus. I'm not sure why anyone is talking about it as though he used to have it and is virus-free and non-contagious now. Okay, so I can think of some reasons why.

Correct.  He is asymptomatic which is not the same as cured or virus free.  BM just posted that Coach is expected to be released in a few days, so he must be doing OK with the kidney issues and the CV-19.   Good news!  

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There are two tests, one that shows if you are currently "sick" and the antibody test that shows that you once had the virus and are now over it. That's how people know he no longer has the virus.

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes but prior to that he had it , so there is no telling who he could’ve possibly passed it on to since he had no clue he had it.

That's why I wrote: "At one point in the past he was contagious but that time has passed." See my previous post. If one thinks the recent Stanford University survey extrapolates to the rest of the country, then 85% of the people that get this virus never even recognized that they had it. It appears Dye falls into that category. We simply cannot indefinitely quarantine every person that MIGHT spread the virus.

Philosophy on the question doesn't matter much anyway. If restrictions aren't continually lightened, organized civil disobedience by millions of Americans is only a few weeks away.

So if we have football this season....without a vaccine yet, how many of you would go? (Sorry...I just want to talk about football lol). And btw...if you have underlying conditions, I’m sure that is a no. I would likely feel a lot better about an outside stadium than an inside arena for basketball.

4 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Correct.  He is asymptomatic which is not the same as cured or virus free.  BM just posted that Coach is expected to be released in a few days, so he must be doing OK with the kidney issues and the CV-19.   Good news!  

Good news, indeed.

Archived