The next economic downturn is on the

creed

Citizens of the United States. I was in Destin Florida today at the outlet mall. Maybe 15% wearing masks. Does anyone pay attention to the medical establishment? 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, creed said:

Citizens of the United States. I was in Destin Florida today at the outlet mall. Maybe 15% wearing masks. Does anyone pay attention to the medical establishment?

Remember, it's all Fake News to some.

23 minutes ago, creed said:

It's a deeply emotional topic for some very fragile people. I can't imagine the self-esteem issues that make a person scared to wear a mask in public but they are evidently somewhat common. If you go look in the main football forum you will see several people vehemently arguing against wearing them.

Its interesting that the country listened to the medical establishment for 2+ months.  Then the restrictions were relaxed and Memorial Day weekend happened and the population started to get relaxed.  The protests really let things go where some medical experts were saying it is more important to protest than to worry about a virus.  Definitely some mixed messaging going around.

The problems with listening to the “experts “ on this epidemic is there are none. The “experts “ seem to be learning on the fly like the rest of us. They’ve changed their recommendations so many times nobody knows what to believe any more.

34 minutes ago, toddc said:

The problems with listening to the “experts “ on this epidemic is there are none. The “experts “ seem to be learning on the fly like the rest of us. They’ve changed their recommendations so many times nobody knows what to believe any more.

The basics have been the same from my perspective. Social distancing and masks. What’s really interesting is parents with young children are oblivious to the  issue. Teenagers, they are too busy trying to look good for the opposite sex. Young adults, well you just can’t tell a young adult anything without getting into a senseless discussion. 

6 minutes ago, creed said:

The basics have been the same from my perspective. Social distancing and masks. What’s really interesting is parents with young children are oblivious to the  issue. Teenagers, they are too busy trying to look good for the opposite sex. Young adults, well you just can’t tell a young adult anything without getting into a senseless discussion. 

We’ve all been one (teenager), like me a looooong time ago? Some things never change.

8 minutes ago, creed said:

There still is mixed messaging as it relates to masks. The WHO currently says you should only wear a mask in very limited situations like if you are caring for someone who has Covid-19. There are some experts who say wearing a mask is not good for you for several different reasons one of which is because you tend to touch your face more often when wearing one. My wife is a scientist and says the vast majority of masks worn by folks going to stores will do little good because they will allow the virus to spread because of how porous they are and how some fit around your face and nose. 

6 hours ago, creed said:

I live three miles from Silver Sands and I am seeing around 1/4 to 1/2 of the people wearing them at various establishments.  Lots of folks in town enjoying the water.  Glad to see them here but hoping they are not spreading anything.

6 hours ago, creed said:

Nope.  They have trusted quacks on YouTube and randos on Facebook that tell them it's all a hoax, or that it's dangerous to breathe your own air for 30 minutes at Kroger, or that we should all have 'Rona parties and get herd immunity.

1 hour ago, SocialCircle said:

There still is mixed messaging as it relates to masks. The WHO currently says you should only wear a mask in very limited situations like if you are caring for someone who has Covid-19. There are some experts who say wearing a mask is not good for you for several different reasons one of which is because you tend to touch your face more often when wearing one. My wife is a scientist and says the vast majority of masks worn by folks going to stores will do little good because they will allow the virus to spread because of how porous they are and how some fit around your face and nose. 

I haven’t heard mixed messages from Dr. Fauci      . He’s been consistent with his message, distancing and masks 

31 minutes ago, creed said:

I haven’t heard mixed messages from Dr. Fauci      . He’s been consistent with his message, distancing and masks 

Are you sure?

Here’s what Fauci told Dr. Jon LaPook, chief medical correspondent for CBS News, in the clip circulating on social media:

LaPook, March 8: There’s a lot of confusion among people, and misinformation, surrounding face masks. Can you discuss that?

Fauci: The masks are important for someone who’s infected to prevent them from infecting someone else… Right now in the United States, people should not be walking around with masks.

LaPook: You’re sure of it? Because people are listening really closely to this.

Fauci: …There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences — people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.

LaPook: And can you get some schmutz, sort of staying inside there?

Fauci: Of course, of course. But, when you think masks, you should think of health care providers needing them and people who are ill. The people who, when you look at the films of foreign countries and you see 85% of the people wearing masks — that’s fine, that’s fine. I’m not against it. If you want to do it, that’s fine.

LaPook: But it can lead to a shortage of masks?

Fauci: Exactly, that’s the point. It could lead to a shortage of masks for the people who really need it.

A lot of the carelessness is due to the virus not being as deadly as was first feared. 40% of the fatalities in the United States have been in nursing homes. Other sites say overall fatalities run about .2%. That's two per thousand and many people don't see that as a big risk. Most people that have contacted the virus don't even know it.

These are just a few of the reasons why the fear has subsided. Another reason for people becoming careless is that people are sick and tired of changing their lives and are going back to the life they had before, devil take the hindmost.

Personally, I don't like the mask. It's not comfortable, fogs up glasses if you need to put glasses on and is a pain to keep up with. I keep one with me and if going into a place where the employees wear them, I put mine on. Other places, all I do is try to remember to stay six feet away and use the hand sanitizer when I get back to my vehicle.

9 hours ago, creed said:

And, as @TitanTiger said, there is a clear message from the majority of authorities on the matter but many people who just don't like that message choose to amplify the dissenting minority (and outdated quotes absent context). They think their family doctor in Loachapoka knows more than Fauci. They think that the WHO's opinion matters in May but doesn't in June. They think that guy from high school who was never a friend but is now a Facebook "friend" became an epidemiologist- and constitutional scholar and decorated LEO- in the 15 years he's spent living in the same house he lived in back then. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And, as @TitanTiger said, there is a clear message from the majority of authorities on the matter but many people who just don't like that message choose to amplify the dissenting minority (and outdated quotes absent context). They think their family doctor in Loachapoka knows more than Fauci. They think that the WHO's opinion matters in May but doesn't in June. They think that guy from high school who was never a friend but is now a Facebook "friend" became an epidemiologist- and constitutional scholar and decorated LEO- in the 15 years he's spent living in the same house he lived in back then. 

I just love it when people try to say a quote is taken out of context even when the entire quote is posted and I love even more when they say it is outdated when the quote was from less than 6 months ago. The quote simply proves Fauci wasn’t always clear as it relates to masks. I don’t trust the WHO or the CDC or Fauci as all 3 have been all over the place on this virus. 

1 minute ago, SocialCircle said:

I just love it when people try to say a quote is taken out of context even when the entire quote is posted and I love even more when they say it is outdated when the quote was from less than 6 months ago. The quote simply proves Fauci wasn’t always clear as it relates to masks. I don’t trust the WHO or the CDC or Fauci as all 3 have been all over the place on this virus. 

The people that say the experts have been consistent in their message are only hearing what they want to hear.  The experts have been all over the place.  It’s up to the individual to do what is best for themselves. 

The message continues to be consistent for any who don't have some bizarre motivation to amplify the exceptions.

24 students at Auburn test positive

Kam is concerned about what lies ahead. “What is most frustrating to me as a physician who keeps up daily with COVID information is the seemingly lax attitude that people, young and old, have toward adhering to the only preventive strategies that have worked so far. Seeing people in the grocery stores and home improvement venues without masks and not making an attempt to keep a distance from others is incredibly frustrating, especially from those whom would be considered vulnerable.”

Michael Roberts, M.D., EAMC’s chief of staff agreed. “Wearing of face coverings remains an important part of a public health strategy to reduce the spread of COVID-19,” said Roberts.

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The message continues to be consistent for any who don't have some bizarre motivation to amplify the exceptions.

This is false. The WHO currently says otherwise. 

35 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

This is false. The WHO currently says otherwise. 

Here’s something current. Looks like Fauci knows more than the WHO.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200608/who-changes-stance-says-public-should-wear-masks

4 minutes ago, creed said:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200608/who-changes-stance-says-public-should-wear-masks

See, that's what's scary. People are just believing whatever they want and not even checking for current information first. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

See, that's what's scary. People are just believing whatever they want and not even checking for current information first. 

This is false. Fauci has sent mixed signals on masks. Nobody ever denied what he thinks today. The point is he has sent mixed signals on masks. Who knows what he will think tomorrow.

2 hours ago, creed said:

The point he is has sent mixed signals. I know what he thinks today. The problem is based in his mixed messages along the way on this virus who knows what he will think tomorrow. 

10 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

The point he is has sent mixed signals. I know what he thinks today. The problem is based in his mixed messages along the way on this virus who knows what he will think tomorrow. 

New data may result in new preventions, but past communications should be just that, in the past. Stay informed in the now. Yours and other peoples lives may depend on it. 

The response to this virus is really different according to your age.  58% of all deaths were suffered by people over 75.  80% were people over 65.  I don't worry nearly as much for the actions of the young as I do for us older people.  Plus people with impaired health suffer much more than the healthy.  I am inclined to think that the rules should be different for the young and healthy.  I know 2 young people who have Covid-19.  One is a nurse in Montgomery.  The other is a physician in Colorado.  They both wore masks faithfully.  But they sometimes had to get close to some really sick(not Covid-19) patients.  In each case the virus symptoms were so slight that they would not have known that they were victims if not for the mandatory tests they were required to have.  For me (I am over 75 and have diabetes) and my friends we will always wear the mask, stay 6 feet away from anyone and go out as little as possible.

Very telling that scientists allowing their opinions to change as new information becomes available is viewed as a bad thing by some. 

And don't act like Fauci or anyone else was ever pounding their fist and demanding that people not wear a mask. Early on there was a legitimate concern about PPE shortages and that was what drove the conversation. There was also a learning curve for how to wear a mask. We're past that now. Get your heads out of your asses. You're embarrassing yourselves and you're endangering the people around you. 

Archived