Auburn Flashback - 2010 Kentucky Game

StatTiger

Most championship teams will have at least one game that could have derailed their season. During the 2010 season, Auburn went undefeated but had six games decided by seven points or less. Often it is team chemistry that provides the competitive edge to dig down deep at critical moments of a game. Cam Newton was undoubtedly the primary component of Auburn’s championship run during the 2010 season, but other players rose to the occasion.

The 2010 Kentucky game is often overlooked likely because Kentucky is not a rival in football, and there is no history of significant showdowns with the Wildcats on the gridiron. On October 9, 2010, Auburn traveled to Lexington, Kentucky to face a 3-2 Wildcat squad. Auburn was a heavy favorite and performed that way early on during the contest. To their credit, the Wildcats rallied and made a game of it but Auburn stepped up when it counted the most.

With under eight minutes to play, Kentucky tied the game at 34-34. On the ensuing kickoff, Auburn nearly faced disaster when the Tigers botched what appeared to be a reverse-return set up for Terrell Zachery. Fortunately for Auburn, Zachery recovered the football inside the Auburn 7-yard line. Had Kentucky recovered and scored, it could have dashed Auburn’s opportunity for a National Championship.

This Auburn Flashback documents Auburn’s incredible game-winning drive, which consisted of 18 offensive snaps and 86-yards. The 18 snaps were broken down to 15 run plays and three pass attempts. Cam Newton carried the football eleven times during the drive. With only a few seconds on the clock, Wes Byrum kicked the game-winning field goal, keeping the Auburn Tigers undefeated. It would not be his last game-winning kick that season.

Because Auburn competed in so many close games during 2010, the Kentucky game won't receive the recognition it deserves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was at the game.  Don't think I even cheered when Byrum made the kick.  Just a huge exhaled sigh of relief.

• Like 1

Darvin Adams made a season-saving catch in that game, IIRC. 

(He also made the sideline, tip-toe catch to convert a 4th-down in our last drive against bama later that year. He and Hot Carter don't get enough credit for that win.) 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Darvin Adams made a season-saving catch in that game, IIRC. 

(He also made the sideline, tip-toe catch to convert a 4th-down in our last drive against bama later that year. He and Hot Carter don't get enough credit for that win.) 

Seems like kodi made one too. 

23 minutes ago, alexava said:

Seems like kodi made one too. 

He made the sliding catch at the sideline from Cam, who threw the football as he was going out of bounds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I was at the game.  Don't think I even cheered when Byrum made the kick.  Just a huge exhaled sigh of relief.

I was there too and I remember waiting out by the buses after the game and I said War Eagle to Tracy Rocker as he was getting on the bus and he was so pissed.   "War Eagle Coach Tracy"   his response ummmm hmmm.    Darvin Adams made some clutch catches.  

• Like 1

I was also at that game.  Was actually surprised as I had a great time at the basketball school.  Highly recommend it as an away game if played in the evening combined with bourbon trail in the AM.  Can’t believe it was almost 10 years ago. WDE. 

1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

He made the sliding catch at the sideline from Cam, who threw the football as he was going out of bounds.

That’s what I was thinking. 

35 minutes ago, aublaise said:

I was also at that game.  Was actually surprised as I had a great time at the basketball school.  Highly recommend it as an away game if played in the evening combined with bourbon trail in the AM.  Can’t believe it was almost 10 years ago. WDE. 

The one thing I'd love to do is go back there and tailgate right.  And by tailgate right, I mean spend the day at Keeneland before the game.  That's how the locals do it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The one thing I'd love to do is go back there and tailgate right.  And by tailgate right, I mean spend the day at Keeneland before the game.  That's how the locals do it.

Absolutely

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Do horse racing and SEC football go together?

1 hour ago, aublaise said:

Do horse racing and SEC football go together?

Horse racing goes with everything.

Plus, both fan bases like bourbon.  So yeah, they go together.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 8:16 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Horse racing goes with everything.

Plus, both fan bases like bourbon.  So yeah, they go together.

I'm not into horse racing but I like the other two and sometimes it makes me wonder if I'm supposed to like the third.

The Kentucky state motto makes me laugh. "Unbridled spirit". Um, your whole thing is horses that are very much bridled and made to run in circles. 

But the bourbon... Great got ahmighty, the bourbon.

Watched this game at BWW in PCB. Great atmosphere! Was a great bookend to the night after watching bammer lose to SC. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 8:02 AM, McLoofus said:

I'm not into horse racing but I like the other two and sometimes it makes me wonder if I'm supposed to like the third.

The Kentucky state motto makes me laugh. "Unbridled spirit". Um, your whole thing is horses that are very much bridled and made to run in circles. 

But the bourbon... Great got ahmighty, the bourbon.

So the first time I flew to Louisville, I cracked up.  The baggage claims play the "call to the post" trumpets when your bags are about to arrive instead of the standard buzzer.  They LOVE the ponies man.

• Haha 1