Let’s Talk About Slide Protection Done Correctly

CoachPink7259

I wish I had the endzone view but this will do for now. The protection call here is SLIDE LEFT. 

B7BB5C61-3407-4BC6-BCC5-84CD74120D9B.jpeg

Slide means that the OL will all block to a gap instead of a man. 

Here’s how this should be done based on the defensive alignment:

RT - With RT being the back side of the slide, he “starts” the slide so to speak. What this means is he will either decide to join the slide or lock with a defender. 

The rule is, if he is covered, he will lock. In this case, he is covered by the 5-technique that I have circled in red—therefore he will lock on that defender. 

RG - If he has no one head up or on the outside shoulder he is uncovered. In this case he has a player inside of him. 

The slide will start with him.

C - Knowing that the slide is started by the RG he will have the responsibility of the gap to his left and anything that comes through it. 

LG - Knowing that the slide is started by the RG he will have the responsibility of the gap to his left and anything that comes through it. 

LT - Knowing that the slide is started by the RG he will have the responsibility of the gap to his left and anything that comes through it. You can see here that so far, everyone is fundamentally sound and are abiding by the rules of the slide.

C8B6A8DA-5E00-435A-823F-DA402DBD72B4.png

A70B6A38-5725-4B33-80AF-3A754599C163.png

Notice that the RB is not in protection but instead on a wheel route. 

Also notice that there is a defender coming on a delayed blitz to the LT’s gap in this situation.

35AC5C5C-6FFE-439E-B47C-B9C6C775CF84.jpeg

Based on the rules, the LT here would need to pick that edge rusher up, and he does so very nicely. 

RT is locked with his guy on a man block and is handling that well.

F342F58B-D174-4F4B-AC1B-FC4B6947375E.jpeg

From RG to LG there are hats on hats and no leakage. This is how you want the slide protection to look. Being that the rusher came into the slide, this helps the OL have success in giving the QB plenty of time.

The gap that is left here (highlighted in green) is where the RB would fill if he were in protection. Because the slide was executed correctly, the gap is not an issue here. 

Please let me know if you have any questions about this!

Credit must be given where credit is due: this was a good job by the OL.

I'd love to see the all-22 on this play so I can complain about other things besides the OL...

Jk, thanks Coach. The fact that these guys might be capable of better and it was just a matter of poor preparation is mostly bad, but there is some hope in it. 

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'd love to see the all-22 on this play so I can complain about other things besides the OL...

Jk, thanks Coach. The fact that these guys might be capable of better and it was just a matter of poor preparation is mostly bad, but there is some hope in it. 

If you find one let me know! I could get y'all some less amateur screenshots. lol

This was the wheel that could have been a pick six.  pretty well read by Ga.(shocker)  saved by great catch by Tank.  that's a great play when it works, but if the coverage is there. I guess he's supposed to throw it away?  wasted down.  He was the only receiver that was going to get the ball on that play. why not have a 2nd or 3rd option?

4 minutes ago, The Freak said:

How are Nix's mechanics on that throw?

Most QBs throw with their feet perpendicular to the target so that they can really not step into it and more easily lean backwards 😳

13 minutes ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

How did this play turn out? #86 looks wide open.

was open for an instant coming off the LOS but was well covered otherwise,  he wasn't trying to get open, just occupy a defender. Nix had no intention of throwing it to him

30 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

This was the wheel that could have been a pick six.  pretty well read by Ga.(shocker)  saved by great catch by Tank.  that's a great play when it works, but if the coverage is there. I guess he's supposed to throw it away?  wasted down.  He was the only receiver that was going to get the ball on that play. why not have a 2nd or 3rd option?

He actually should have thrown it up the sideline due to the read on the LB. It wouldve been a big play had he done it.

the drag by Deal was open underneath as well.

26 minutes ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

How did this play turn out? #86 looks wide open.

It was a completion for a first down to Tank.. although it was an ill-advised throw. Fantastic, acrobatic catch by Tank.

Archived