AU will lose again but Gus is going to beat Bama this year, right?

RunInRed

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beating them will be a tall order. So, that will be the one more loss this regular season.

PS: If we don't lose the Iron Bowl, that's a pretty good indicator that we run the table through the regular season.

There are certainly Auburn fans who saw them spank LSU, the defending national champions, and applying zero nuance to the situation. LSU is very young and inexperienced. They lost pretty much the entire production from last year's team. They are not the same team they were in 2019.

Alabama's offense is rolling. They are going to be at least a 16 or 17 point favorite against Auburn. Let's get real, the Bams are going to destroy the Tigers.

Too soon to tell. My head tells me that AU can possibly make it a game, but my heart screams "road Bo" plus they want redemption for the embarrassing end to last year. If the DBs can find a way to stay with the litany of uat receivers, it can be a game, but they can't cover them for 10 sec while the DL looks like they are playing tennis with a brick wall. 

19 minutes ago, woodford said:

There are certainly Auburn fans who saw them spank LSU, the defending national champions, and applying zero nuance to the situation. LSU is very young and inexperienced. They lost pretty much the entire production from last year's team. They are not the same team they were in 2019.

Alabama's offense is rolling. They are going to be at least a 16 or 17 point favorite against Auburn. Let's get real, the Bams are going to destroy the Tigers.

I can see that spread but this year is strange. I think AU is starting to overcome the lack of a spring with a new coordinator. As much as I can't stand him and believe he can easily be outcoached on the field saban can prepare a team. They probably had a smaller impact of missing spring than most. If you look around the country there is so much inconsistency. UAT is one of the few teams that has stayed pretty level through the first part of the season. 

Yes LSU is down but you still have to execute to make anything happen. It seems they have executed better the past two weeks and the play calling has improved. I could definitely see this turning into the 2014 game. A lot can happen over the next few weeks so I am not ready to say we will get destroyed by bammer. 

Our chances went up about 5% when Waddle went down. I'm still not sure we can keep their offense off the field or out of the end zone, though. 

I'm more encouraged now that we will be able score on them, but I still imagine their offense will be the story. 

7 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

I can see that spread but this year is strange. I think AU is starting to overcome the lack of a spring with a new coordinator. As much as I can't stand him and believe he can easily be outcoached on the field saban can prepare a team. They probably had a smaller impact of missing spring than most. If you look around the country there is so much inconsistency. UAT is one of the few teams that has stayed pretty level through the first part of the season. 

Yes LSU is down but you still have to execute to make anything happen. It seems they have executed better the past two weeks and the play calling has improved. I could definitely see this turning into the 2014 game. A lot can happen over the next few weeks so I am not ready to say we will get destroyed by bammer. 

I respect that, but we know Bo on the road is not what he is at home. There's just no way you can convince me that a team who lost to South Carolina can be competitive with Alabama. Auburn doesn't have the NFL talent on the DL to disrupt a high powered offense like Alabama. Gus cannot win big games on the road. We can't fall for it again. Auburn looked fantastic on Saturday, but what about the previous weeks? I'm not buying it. They're still not a great coached team and they lack the necessary talent on the OL to run the ball enough to beat a team like Alabama.

Auburn would have to pretty much do what they did to LSU last weekend and Bama last year. Force turnovers and either score off them or set up great field position inside the red zone. That's a tall task. As of today, barring any injuries, I see Alabama winning something like 49-24.

Here's ESPN's FPI for the remaining schedule ...

image.png

PROJ: Team's projected win percentage in game, based on each team's current FPI, game location and game type (bowl, FCS, etc.).

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi/_/id/2/auburn-tigers

9 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

image.png

PROJ: Team's projected win percentage in game, based on each team's current FPI, game location and game type (bowl, FCS, etc.).

642A30CC-E878-40B2-93B9-07CF0DB8FADC.gif

If there was a year for Gus to inexplicably beat Alabama and keep his job it would be this weird and wild year.

4 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

image.png

The lower the percentage the more likely Auburn is to pull it out our butts. 

I think we will beat everyone except Bama, which is an upgrade from what I was thinking after UGA and SC. 

I suppose UT could still be an issue, but they've really taken a step back. 

Alabama will name their score on this defense. Unfortunate, but it goes that way sometimes. 

As much as I'm ready for a change, Gus goes nowhere after 7-3. 

It's amazing how one solid showing against a bad, name brand, team can make people forget the previous weeks. Auburn almost lost to South Carolina, Arkansas, and Ole Miss after getting manhandled by UGA. Now all of a sudden they're gonna compete with a Bama on the road... goodness.

2 minutes ago, smackydoodle said:

It's amazing how one solid showing against a bad, name brand, team can make people forget the previous weeks. Auburn almost lost to South Carolina, Arkansas, and Ole Miss after getting manhandled by UGA. Now all of a sudden they're gonna compete with a Bama on the road... goodness.

Um, not exactly unheard of for a Gus Malzahn team to look bad the first few weeks, have a get right game against a bad opponent, and then be much better by November. This is going pretty much according to the same script as Gus's best two seasons here. Not saying that it will happen again by any stretch but you also can't write this team off based on early returns.

There are some big IFs when talking about the Iron Bowl and Auburn's chances. If Waddle wasn't out, I don't think we could beat them. Period. He torched us last year. So that helps. They still have a lot of talent in the WR room, but only one #17.

We would need to play a flawless game on Defense. I figure we would play them with a bend don't break MO and probably give up a ton of yardage. 

We can not kick a FG in the Redzone. If we get to the RZ, Chad needs to call plays as if it is 4 down territory because it should be. We have to capitalize on trips to the redzone.

Turnovers- If we can get up in the TO margin by + 2 or +3 that would really really help. 

Offense has to be efficient. If we play like we did Saturday we should be ok. Bama's Defense is not a world beater.

Bo- Bo has to play every bit as good as he did against LSU and then take it up a step as well. We cannot have the normal road Bo.

Those are the keys to the game in my opinion. The reason why I think we have a shot is:

LB play is getting better week by week. 

DBs are coming on pretty good as well. I actually think we have one of the better units in the SEC. (I pray J. Sherwood is not out)

Colby Wooden- Kid is making a name for himself and I project him to be AU's next ALL SEC DL

Defensive Line- They are starting to get some push and also much better putting pressure on pass plays.

Offensive Line- Coach Bick has done a good job it appears with the OL. They are getting better and better and the fact we still have 2 more games before Bama will only help. 

All in all it is a huge task. I honestly don't think we win, but who knows. I would feel much better if it was at home. 

1 hour ago, woodford said:

There's just no way you can convince me that a team who lost to South Carolina can be competitive with Alabama

Well I would have never been convinced that a team that loss to a horrid UT team in 2017 would have beaten back to back number 1 teams in 3 weeks. Gus has a bit of an MO for starting slow and building game by game. 

16 minutes ago, smackydoodle said:

It's amazing how one solid showing against a bad, name brand, team can make people forget the previous weeks. Auburn lost to South Carolina, almost lost to Arkansas and Ole Miss after getting manhandled by UGA. Now all of a sudden they're gonna compete with a Bama on the road... goodness.

FIFY

2 hours ago, woodford said:

Agree. I think the biggest thing that has happened to LSU is one, they lost a lot on offense and defense. Two, different coordinators on both sides of the ball. I know Ensminger is still the OC, but the guy who helped him last year was the brains. Three, no spring and summer workouts to get the kinks out before the season.

We had a similar issue on offense with CCM, but not to the extent LSU overall has faced.

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Those are the keys to the game in my opinion. The reason why I think we have a shot is:

LB play is getting better week by week. 

it won't matter.

#0, #1, and #9 will be leaned on by bama's O-line and that will be that.  

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

He's usually good for a couple of pick-sixes vs Auburn...just sayin'

Not this year.  His accuracy this year is astounding... better than Burrow’s. 

Archived