Thanksgiving - Let Us Celebrate

AURex

It is time to give thanks. That can be difficult in the year of COVID, as we face 1/4 MILLION deaths. And since many families are facing a smaller Thanksgiving celebration than we have in the past, still we can reflect.

Our country was born by the efforts of people who sought refuge in an unknown and dangerous place to escape the religious dogma of Christian fanatics and the political regimes tied to those religious entrenched powers.

Much of Thanksgiving is myth -- turkeys and stuff. And it is understandable that Native Americans deride  the traditions. Still, the symbolism and spirit of Thanksgiving is to appreciate those who sacrificed so much. who braved a new world, who survived in a New World.

Frankly, I don't care if you eat turkey or pumpkins. What you eat is totally irrelevant. The importance is the feeling of thanks.

Most of us here on AUF were born in the United States of America. We have enjoyed the advantages of all our forefathers, way back to the first immigrants, call them Pilgrims or whatever you like. Millions more immigrants have contributed to our culture -- many of us have Irish and German and Italian and French heritage.

Consider the billions of people around the world, many living in poverty or under dictatorial rule or in less affluent circumstances, who have so much less to be thankful for. Go to Egypt or Pakistan, Nigeria or Bulgaria, Congo or Peru or Chile, Somalia or Yemen ...... and give thanks for being a citizen of the U.S.A.

Thanksgiving is different this year because of The Rona. But it is the same, because we still have the same reasons to thank our ancestors.

22 hours ago, AURex said:

Go to Egypt or Pakistan, Nigeria or Bulgaria, Congo or Peru or Chile, Somalia or Yemen

You lived in any of these countries? Care to share your experiences?

I have not lived in, but been to France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Egypt, South Africa, Nigeria, Congo, Tunisia, Morocco, Spain, Portugal, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, India, Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania, Ukraine, Finland, Sweden, Norway.

Where have you been?

On 11/25/2020 at 8:20 PM, AUFAN78 said:

You lived in any of these countries? Care to share your experiences?

I've traveled a lot over the decades (I'm old). I'll offer a few notes sporadically.

1. The most wonderful place I've visited (several times in recent years) is Portugal. The Algarve region along the southern coast is beautiful and since the Brits have been there for many decades, a lot of the locals speak English. Lisbon and the surrounding areas are a treasure of European history and culture. The Basque subculture is enriching. I love the food as well. Healthcare is better than the U.S. and cost of living is very reasonable. If Trump had been elected for a second term, we probably would have moved to Portugal.

2. Prague has some of the most beautiful architecture in all of Europe. The Prague Castle area of the city, and the retail areas surrounding, are great. However, much of the rest of the city is like slums -- deteriorated infrastructure, dirty, dangerous. And nightlife in the city is risky for tourists. Go for the beautiful history, but don't stay long.

3. Much of European cities are actually rather seedy. Graffiti everywhere. They don't even try to keep up with it. Even well off big cities like Berlin. On the other hand, if there's a LOT of cultural wonders in Eastern Europe. If you like classical music (I do), the orchestras and venues are among the best. Museums are great. If you like the sort of hearty, unhealthy food they eat, and enjoy great beer, definitely visit these cities. Lots of people drink heavily on the streets and get rowdy.

4. Boat trips on the major rivers of Europe are a great way to see the magnificent architecture and hit cities. Better than Caribbean cruises. Since most on board are touristys, it's more civilized, but also difficult to get a sense of the real local culture.

5. Oslo in summer. Beautiful.

6. Europeans are not as polite as Americans, especially in Eastern Europe. Talking to people on the street or in lines at stores is not recommended. Speaking of stores, the specialty food shops are great! From breads to meats to cheeses to pastries. But you need to know what the items are and be ready to order. If you have a friend who knows the language or the country, it's a big benefit. But most grocery stores and markets have limited variety.

7. The city I really hope to visit, once the pandemic is over, is St Petersburg Russia. Such a rich history in architecture, the arts, ballet, and classical music.

8. Egypt was disappointing when I visited. Yep, see a pyramid. Yep, see a sarcophagus. And actually, some of the street food was interesting. But I never really got a good sense of the amazing history of the country. I mean, this is a truly ancient civilization, dating back to millennia before the birth of Christ. But it was hard to find a hook into that, envelop the history. Because the current situation is -- poverty, danger, and very controlled specific sites to visit.

9. India -- well, I was a hippie in my youth. India was a go-to place for hippies exploring the alt-world, counter culture. It wasn't Beatles in colorful Nehru jackets. It was poverty, class hatred, slums, people scavenging trash heaps, tourist traps with monkeys, lots of hash and pot, did I mention poverty.  Much is made of the Indian tech revolution, but a close friend of mine was lured there to run a factory. He broke his contract and came home after a year. This country is still a horror!

Okay, more notes later.

On 11/27/2020 at 9:23 PM, AURex said:

1. The most wonderful place I've visited (several times in recent years) is Portugal. The Algarve region along the southern coast is beautiful and since the Brits have been there for many decades, a lot of the locals speak English. Lisbon and the surrounding areas are a treasure of European history and culture. The Basque subculture is enriching. I love the food as well. Healthcare is better than the U.S. and cost of living is very reasonable. If Trump had been elected for a second term, we probably would have moved to Portugal.

On 11/27/2020 at 9:23 PM, AURex said:

9. India -- well, I was a hippie in my youth. India was a go-to place for hippies exploring the alt-world, counter culture. It wasn't Beatles in colorful Nehru jackets. It was poverty, class hatred, slums, people scavenging trash heaps, tourist traps with monkeys, lots of hash and pot, did I mention poverty.  Much is made of the Indian tech revolution, but a close friend of mine was lured there to run a factory. He broke his contract and came home after a year. This country is still a horror!

I really need you to talk to my wife. Although I think her dad, after a couple business trips to India, convinced her that she should go some other places first. Like, a LOT of other places. Like, EVERY other place. My only experiences are reading Beyond the Beautiful Forevers (should be required reading for all Americans) and having an Indian friend who was born in India tell me about going to his home town and having an uncle tell him that there was only one restaurant in town that he could eat at and not get sick in. 

And I keep telling her that we need Portugal high on our list. 

One of my favorite countries was Thailand. A lot of grit and grime but the people and food are next level. I think I only ate under a roof once in 10 days. 

I've visited a few Asian countries, but we wouldn't want to live in that part of the world. (1) being older, the languages present too much of a challenge for us; (2) politically these countries have a lot of restrictions on personal freedoms even if they are not totally autocratic, (3) religious groups control too much in many of those countries, (4) the healthcare systems are often sub-par or difficult to navigate for expats, and (5) we don't want to be surrounded by poverty.

Those same issues apply to Latin and South America -- Chile, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Peru, Brazil, etc. A lot of American expats seem to like living in one of those countries. But wifey says she would be constantly depressed by the poverty of the populace. She rules out Canada and Scandinavian countries because they are too cold -- contributed to by living 7 years in the brutal winters of Illinois. Australia and New Zealand have some barriers to citizenship that we would find difficult, and Australia is (like UK) becoming more restrictive of individual freedoms than we like.

Portugal is kind of an oasis in Europe. We both know a smidgen of Spanish, German and Italian, so Portuguese is not extremely alien.

Of course, leaving the U.S. is a hard choice. I think, for people who have not traveled much, so it would be sort of frightening. And a lot of folks have trouble stepping away from the familiar. What's best for one person is not some sort of generic solution for everyone else.

Archived