Insiders Hearing Anything? (Threads Merged)

AUght2win

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Grade inflation. Happens everywhere. High school isn't what it used to be, trust me. ACT/SAT are less and less regarded, and they need money (i.e. students  taking tests) to survive. You think bad scores make students want to take those tests?

What I think is that AU has become a much more selective school and it's not near so easy to get into as it once was.

1 hour ago, AUBourne said:

No I wasn't referring to you. I mean statements like, Auburn is not going to fire Gus because of Covid. Or Auburn is not going to talk to Freeze because w/e. 

I never know if a person is an actual insider or just a blow hard.

My take is this on Hugh Freeze. The whole nation perceives Auburn as dirty because of how the media treated Cam, because of Chuck Person and the fact Bruce Pearl gets a check from AU. It would be dumb to limit ourselves to try and prove them wrong. The media and outsiders are going to hate on Auburn no matter what. 

Yup; I am tired of hiring or worrying with regard to public opinion.

Auburn ( I think ) is like the most successful non-flagship univ or bluebood there is.  When we are winning or contending, we are messing up their ratings or bumping out the bama or Oklahoma or bluebood program they would prefer.   They like us to compete, but not bounce the blue bloods.

The closer the bama game got in 2010, the more intense ESPN turned up the heat on Auburn and the Cam allegations.   It really became simple slander.   Same with the Hesiman build up. 

2017 - any talk of Auburn backing  into the playoffs with wins over #1 bama and #1 UGA?  Nope.  Great story - great highlights, but zero chatter of  "you must consider their body of work down the stretch."  Auburn is a threat to 'the institution' of college football.  

Go hire the best, most ruthless coach available and screw the optics.   That is what bama did with Bryant and Saban.  How did that work out?   

Who is the next Jimmy Johnson, Steve Spurrier  type in this era?  We will be hated and scrutinized regardless.   Does Hugh Freeze drive a truck with an ax handle behind the seat?  Find "that guy" and you have my first choice.   He will run up the score and attract recruits. 

In the mean time - make the deal and hire the guy who doesn't want to lose to Smart or Saban, period.   Cristobal worked with both - he knows them better than anyone.  He can recruit and he knows how to negatively recruit.  He's from FL and played at the U...this is a no-brainer.

Go do your job, Allen.  Winning will take care of your concerns.  

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

By the way, everyone does know that Auburn is one of the most sanctioned schools in history, right????  

Yeah. I remember the good ole Bear/Byers days whenever the NCAA would come sniffing around Alabama and Auburn would get 2 years of probation.

12 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

What I think is that AU has become a much more selective school and it's not near so easy to get into as it once was.

Yale 6.3% acceptance rate 

university of Alabama 59%

Auburn 75%

That last number is not very selective.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

It's none of the public's business. None of mine, certainty.

But, if I'm Auburn, I would absolutely want to know the answer to that question before I hired him. 

JMO but I still don't think it's Auburn's business about that point in particular. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but how someone chooses to forgive their partner for that is their own business and that has no connection at all to how successful he would be at AU.

I still would want to find out if he's changed but something feels off about that part to me

15 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Auburn 75%

Where are you getting your numbers???

This thread is hilarious.   No to this coach, yes to that coach.   Got to be able to beat Alabama and Georgia.    Got to win the recruiting battles.    

Answer this?  Besides the tuberville run against Bama (which was arguably their worst time in the last 50 years) when has Auburn dominated Alabama and Georgia?

I know, they haven’t.  And more than likely never will.   As long as Bama and Georgia hire good coaches, Auburn will never become what Clemson is doing. 

So if you are looking to get to that level, the other two schools have to be trending down . 

Auburn has a winning record against Alabama (20-19) since Bo went over the top... Do your homework. 😐

By the way, everyone does know that Auburn is one of the most sanctioned schools in history, right????  

It's been a quarter century since football was on probation man.  There's literally not a single high school recruit or recent college graduate that remembers Auburn ever being sanctioned for football.

I am surprised people are questioning Freeze's quality as a coach. Dude, he took one of OUR QB's, the most raw of the three, and made him an absolute gamer at Liberty. LIBERTY. He also has made that program relevant in a short time.

He can coach.

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Last guy that we had on our staff that had a prominent mustache turned out to be a total chode. 

But, he gifted us with one of the greatest Auburn gifs of all time.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

So did Petrino. 10 and 11 wins. 11 and 12 wins at Louisville. Signed a Heisman winner in his 2nd stint at Louisville. He once was the very best at resurrecting programs. Is he even coaching anymore?

They also share the one thing that will forever keep Auburn from hiring either. It's called strange.

Oh do I have something to show you.  That man taught a literal Bear how to throw!

Bro, again, do your research. It's like saying I have been sanctioned more than Al Capone because I have 8 speeding tickets and he only had 6 murder charges.

Alabama, did more, amd got hit harder between 90 and 2007 than Auburn has in 120 years of athletics. Not even getting in to what Saban got away with his first few years (T-Town menswear, Chargers, etc.)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/when-alabama-was-in-legitimate-danger-of-receiving-the-death-penalty/amp/

"Alabama was in the midst of having its name on four major cases in 14 years. It was a “repeat violator,” NCAA code for being eligible for the death penalty. It was Yeager and that committee that stepped back from the brink of nuking one of the top brands in sports."

3 hours ago, metafour said:

Your examples are dumb.

Freeze has proven it in THIS conference. In THIS division. OVER MULTIPLE SEASONS. Bobby Petrino WAS legitimately a top coach at this level, hence the NFL gig. Yeah, he fell apart really quickly and lost it. It happens. Scott Frost had ONE successful season at UCF - he wasn't giving Saban a run for his money at a bottom tier program like Ole Miss. Tom Herman? Same exact thing - TWO seasons at a midmajor. Again, Freeze has SEC West performance - over multiple years of successive improvement. I find it interesting how you don't want to bring up Dan Mullen as an example? Why is that?

The man literally has Liberty playing with - and beating - legitimate P5 teams. Liberty is a school that just freaking made FBS in 2017.

Freeze is a hell of a coach and at a program like Auburn he could field the talent required to compete with the best. The only question mark he has is off-field bull****. If you want to use that as a reasoning for why we shouldn't take him, it is absolutely legitimate. If your argument is that he doesn't have a legitimately impressive resume at a bunch of bottom-dweller programs, then you don't understand football. 

I maintain that Frost is still a good coach.

2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Yo what did I miss?

What's going on.,

Nothing really. 

5 hours ago, 1716AU said:

Auburn 75%

That's taken out of the context of average GPA and test scores. Average incoming GPA at AU is 3.90. That's average GPA. At UA? Average incoming GPA is 3.71. Kids without the needed GPA and test scores get advice from counselors and generally apply somewhere that offers them a better chance of acceptance. 

AU1.Capture.PNG

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Pretty sure every school has something similar. We can't be on our high horse on stuff like that especially with the softball scandal we had a few years ago.

Did Corey Meyers have prior baggage before we hired him though?  Or did all of this transpire at Auburn without the AD's knowledge?

8 hours ago, aubaseball said:

So if you are looking to get to that level, the other two schools have to be trending down . 

It doesn't help that we are smack dab in the middle of both schools.  To a degree both schools and also claim they are the home school for each state.  It will always be an uphill battle recruiting-wise.

8 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

This thread is making me consider just becoming a basketball only fan.

Well, I don't know if that is any better at the moment.  Our basketball program has a post-season ban, and our 5* PG most likely is ineligible.  Next year for sure.  We could really make a run for it all.

7 hours ago, Viper said:

And Mark Emmert gets to....

tenor.gif?itemid=17101790

Not if the P5 leaves the NCAA which is coming at some point.

7 hours ago, 1716AU said:

Auburn 75%

If true it Needs context though, especially in relation to Bama. Nowhere near the enrollment numbers as Bama, higher cost, & less schollies given means a lot less people apply to AU than Bama.

Cristobal

Napier

Elliot

Freeze

Baby Briles

I'd take the first 3 without hesitation and be happy with the 4th and 5th. All 4 are substantial upgrades to Gus.

Archived