Insiders Hearing Anything? (Threads Merged)

AUght2win

Hey its 10:35 in the morning and i am almost out of beer. Its going to be a long and wonderful day. I'm grabbing two 18 packs for myself. Can i get anybody anything while i am gone? Oh yea gotta stop and get some chicken wings to.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

how do you take the recent losses among Cal and Oregon State?

Losses happen.  Rarely are teams ever undefeated. The trajectory of the program, the emphasis on the trenches, and the successful coordination of their recruiting all point towards the Saban plan being used successfully.

Just now, Viper said:

AGAIN...sticking to CFB. 

Pat Dye’s staff caused no TV for one season & 2 years postseason ban. IIRC, there were little to no scholarship reductions. This in an era on the heels of the SMU death penalty. 

AGAIN...Freeze caused 3 years probation, a 2-year postseason ban, scholarships reduced over a 4-year period and 33 wins vacated in an era that RARELY sees harsh sanctions any longer.

Also, every coach plays the same game Dye did. Cash inducements do not a scumbag make. It's the cost of doing business and, in a lot of cases, they really are just helping out kids that need help. 

Bobby Petrino, Hugh Freeze, Art Briles, Joe Paterno... that's scumbag stuff. 

Just now, Beaker said:

While we wait...

Can anyone make an argument why we should not have Cristobal as #1?

Seems like Freeze has plenty of posts as to why we should not have him as HC1.  

Well the obvious reasons would be the losses that he keeps getting. It is like Stoops without the NC. And a lot of them are come back losses. THAT IS THE OBVIOUS ONE. But I also think he would be a great fit.  He recruits well. He seems like he can build rapport down here. He needs to have some serious coordinators though. Also, for you folks who like the personal life, he seems to have a stable marriage and a hot wife.v

1 minute ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Hey its 10:35 in the morning and i am almost out of beer. Its going to be a long and wonderful day. I'm grabbing two 18 packs for myself. Can i get anybody anything while i am gone? Oh yea gotta stop and get some chicken wings to.

Lemon pepper wet, please and thank you. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Losses happen.  Rarely are teams ever undefeated. The trajectory of the program, the emphasis on the trenches, and the successful coordination of their recruiting all point towards the Saban plan being used successfully.

No,no,no we are not going to do that big bird. I am not asking for a guy to go undefeated. But let's be real here. We have two BAD losses. We need to be truthful here. Oregon State and Cal are not good teams. Oregon shouldn't be losing to those teams back to back. Like no, that is not acceptable. With that being said, that doesn't mean this guy shouldn't be the coach.

Im reminded of when a caller called into finebaums show in 2012 during the Auburn/Petrino rumors the person stated to win recruiting battles against Petrino and Auburn all opposing coaches would have to do is "bring up the reason Petrino was no longer at Arkansas along with the fact that he has a history of job hopping" and parents of recruits would have two things to think about 

#1 do they want their kids playing for someone like this

#2 what if he tells their child he will be coaching them next year and when next season rolls around he isnt

i dont like it but unfortunately that is a weapon opposing coaches would have at their advantage

Freezes outing at Ole Miss would be another thing opposing coaches in the sec could use if Auburn were to hire him. example maybe a star linebacker or quarterback has offers from  Auburn, Georgia, LSU and Alabama. Freeze is the head coach of Auburn this recruit is on the verge of committing to Auburn and Freeze but Saban. Orgeron and even Smart bring up the reason Freeze is no longer at ole miss to this recruit who is unaware as his parents are

i'll shut up now but i do think this is another concern folks have when it comes to hiring folks like petrino, freeze. briles etc at auburn all opposing coaches have to do is bring up the crap that got them in trouble and it possibly sways recruits

Why y’all taking trash about Joey Freshwater?! He’d be an awesome coach at Auburn. I don’t know if he’d win any more games than Gus. But he is certainly a developer of QB’s and a swaggy guy. He and Bo Nix wouldn’t be hitting up spring break in Cancun!

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

You seem to be big on Mario and fairly objective. I want to ask you, how do you take the recent losses among Cal and Oregon State? I am of the mindset of not breaking the bank for him, but definitely for coordinators.

Which players were excluded from his roster for those games?   Any ?  

I don't know either.   Did they get to practice all week?   I don't know either.

Is his resume perfect?   Oh heck no.  

I don't like his last 2 yrs at FIU.     I do like his last 2 full seasons at Oregon.  I do like how his team played against us in Dallas last year.    I know he has instant cred in every high school program he is going to visit wearing an Auburn shirt.  He absolutely knows what buttons to push to recruit against bama and georgia.  

For the record, I don't think Pat Dye's record at ECU and Wyoming overwhelmed me either.   He turned out to be just what Auburn needed also. 

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

While we wait...

Can anyone make an argument why we should not have Cristobal as #1?

Seems like Freeze has plenty of posts as to why we should not have him as HC1.  

Saban has traditionally thrashed his assistants. And I mean on average he beats the stuffing out of them. And you know we gotta be competitive against Bama or we will be running him out of town in two years. Not doing any better at Oregon than Gus this year. Not saying I would be disappointed but just answering the post.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

No,no,no we are not going to do that big bird. I am not asking for a guy to go undefeated. But let's be real here. We have two BAD losses. We need to be truthful here. Oregon State and Cal are not good teams. Oregon shouldn't be losing to those teams back to back. Like no, that is not acceptable. With that being said, that doesn't mean this guy shouldn't be the coach.

I agree that they are bad losses, but early in a tenure losses don't necessarily reflect in a coach's ability.  The focus, direction, and response is a better gauge.

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Which players were excluded from his roster for those games?   Any ?  

I don't know either.   Did they get to practice all week?   I don't know either.

Is his resume perfect?   Oh heck no.  

I don't like his last 2 yrs at FIU.     I do like his last 2 full seasons at Oregon.  I do like how his team played against us in Dallas last year.    I know he has instant cred in every high school program he is going to visit wearing an Auburn shirt.  He absolutely knows what buttons to push to recruit against bama and georgia.  

For the record, I don't think Pat Dye's record at ECU and Wyoming overwhelmed me either.   He turned out to be just what Auburn needed also. 

Correct. I just want him to hire good coordinators as well. I am well aware that going undefeated is hard. But losing to bad teams. Yeah, that needs to get fixed. I would love to have Mario. Quite frankly this might be the perfect time to get him. However, people need to acknowledge that lol. We are not going to be happy if we are lighting the recruiting world up and losing to Mississippi State of this year and Arkansas. Nobody is going to be happy about that, so let's be realistic here. But if he follows Saban, he can be very successful. Recruit well, hire great coordinators and off the field analyst (Saban does this a lot).

Just now, bigbird said:

I agree that they are bad losses, but early in a tenure losses don't necessarily reflect in a coach's ability.  The focus, direction, and response is a better gauge.

I 100 percent agree. I would love to have Mario here. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Those losses are bad but no worse than Sabans home losses to UAB and LaMonroe his first years at LSU and Bama respectively. I hope the PTB don’t make a decision on a couple of bad losses or a couple of big wins. I’m with @bigbirdthat we should look at the whole body of work and MCs process is impressive. 

13 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

Why put words in my mouth? I’m just saying Gus would have run the back in Columbia and thus we wouldn’t have the ints. and that loss. If you can’t see that you are blinded by your emotions.

Is Gus oblivious to the fact that HE is the boss and can override his OC at any time?  After the 1st or 2nd INT it as plain as day the Nix didn't have it in the noggin.  

Gus had the right to step in and run the damn ball and tell HIS subordinate to step aside.  If Gus would have then the should have.  Do you not agree?

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Correct. I just want him to hire good coordinators as well. 

100%.

Anyone have ideas as to who he would hire/bring with him if he did accept the job at Auburn? Moorhead, Avalos?

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Those losses are bad but no worse than Sabans home losses to UAB and LaMonroe his first years at LSU and Bama respectively. I hope the PTB don’t make a decision on a couple of bad losses or a couple of big wins. I’m with @bigbirdthat we should look at the whole body of work and MCs process is impressive. 

True but those were in his first seasons. This is Mario fourth season and Oregon was an overwhelming favorite to win the Pac 12 coming in. Again, I am not saying he isn't impressive. I am just bringing balance to the arguments. Freeze has some good things and very bad things. This guy has a great resume, but he has a pattern of losing to teams, he has no business losing to and in comeback fashion.  That is a part of his resume and I think that is fair to put out there.

Just now, Barnacle said:

100%.

Anyone have ideas as to who he would hire/bring with him if he did accept the job at Auburn? Moorhead, Avalos?

If he bought Derek Mason in..

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

On the bright side, the more he loses the cheaper he gets.  Unlike Gus.

Honestly, I told my coworker this just last night. The losses are glaring but it actually puts us in the driver seat, which is why we need to strike now before he has an average season hahaha

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

Is Gus oblivious to the fact that HE is the boss and can override his OC at any time?  After the 1st or 2nd INT it as plain as day the Nix didn't have it in the noggin.  

Gus had the right to step in and run the damn ball and tell HIS subordinate to step aside.  If Gus would have then the should have.  Do you not agree?

I would disagree there.  WDE said that when Morris was brought on he made it clear to Malzahn that he would not interfere at all with his offense.  Even though Malzahn technically could still step in, it would most likely have even worse consequences between the two.

Oregon has a first year starter at QB after 4 years of Justin Herbert. And the new guy hasn't been great. Certainly Cristobal is responsible for having a good QB on the field but he's working on that. He had two 4* QBs in his 2020 class, including Robby Ashford out of Hoover, and he's got another in this class. 

If I'm not mistaken, they're breaking in 4 new OLs this year. Only one returning starter. 

They dropped 38 on Oregon State. Just had a bad day on defense I guess.

Cal loss was bad. Hard to ignore that.

I did see that they've been missing several guys each week due to COVID, and their conference's whole season was thrown off a lot more than ours.

That's all the excuse making I've got. It's definitely fair to bring up the bad along with the good. @DAG is right, it's year 4 and not year 1 or 2. But damn if it's not a weird year. 

This stupid belief that a coaches personal life matters as far as being a quality coach is such horse s***. 

Unless the coach is aggressing upon others or hiding it like jopa or briles did, who cares if they want to be devil worshiping gay polygamist or what have you. 

Coaches should be judged by their coaching ability. 

Fwiw, when discussing Malzahn AFTER the Bama loss, a person consulted during our last hiring process quipped to me that "Frank Beamer did this for 40 years and he's a legend". Had to do my research on that but basically, yep. Sounds like at least one "insider" thinks the "who's next" narrative is premature.

Archived