Insiders Hearing Anything? (Threads Merged)

AUght2win

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

So you are in the same (incorrect) thinking that recruiting is tanking not because of the product on the field, but because Gus needs to be extended? 

Exactly. Gus was extended and recruiting still kinda bled out a bit. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Freak said:

Pat's prolly not too sad about wearing that mask in the stands during the game.

Man, he is covered UP in the stands.  Better than Dr. Faucci at the Yankees game.

4 minutes ago, woodford said:

Dan Wolken knows a lot about taking stupid losses

It's not losses he's taking

10 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

My understanding is that Cristobal and Oregon had been in talks of a contract extension back in the spring before COVID became a factor. I'm not surprised it may have picked back up.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2020/10/canzano-mario-cristobals-contract-extension-is-unfinished-business-for-oregon-ducks.html#:~:text=Cristobal's current contract would pay,Jonathan Smith (%242.4 million).

The last coach that left Oregon ended up getting canned. I guess he has a better chance of building something special there vs SEC. Especially with the current state of USC and UCLA. IMO he would be nuts to leave there come to Auburn and be required to beat UGA, UA, LSU and win the SEC title year in and year out. It’s brutal down here. I’d start poking around with Sarkisian and see what he wants to do after 2021. 

another good read i think we can be better than past indicates. but we have to get the right guy thats the tricky part

https://strangeandgreatstateofalabama755539042.wordpress.com/2020/12/08/auburn-football-thinks-it-can-be-better-than-what-it-currently-has-but-lets-look-to-its-past/

9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So you are in the same (incorrect) thinking that recruiting is tanking not because of the product on the field, but because Gus needs to be extended? 

No, I was saying you seemed really fired up.  I really meant easy there big fella ala George Castanza. Patience. two things will happen either Gus fires it up and gets it right or he fails as many expect either way Auburn wins. 

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It'll happen next year and when we fire him mid-season we will pay the exact same as we would now + what he is payed from here till then.

Yep but unfortunately the damage will be done..really don't understand why we can't be proactive in all of this.

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

The last coach that left Oregon ended up getting canned. I guess he has a better chance of building something special there vs SEC. Especially with the current state of USC and UCLA. IMO he would be nuts to leave there come to Auburn and be required to beat UGA, UA, LSU and win the SEC title year in and year out. It’s brutal down here. I’d start poking around with Sarkisian and see what he wants to do after 2021. 

Most of us aren't requiring the current staff to beat UGA/UA/LSU AND win the SEC year in and year out.  We are however, asking that they go toe to toe (50/50) with UGA/UA/LSU, dominate the lower level SEC teams (OM/MSU/Arky/USCe) and seriously compete strong enough to be in the running for the SEC in the month of November, actually make it to ATL every 2-3 yrs?  Is that too much to ask from a staff pulling top 5 salaries?

It's brutal down here for sure and it's not a job for the faint of heart.  It's also not a job where the Head Coach thinks a 4 loss season is "solid."  

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep but unfortunately the damage will be done..really don't understand why we can't be proactive in all of this.

We all be fine. Bama recovered from years of ineptitude after Stallings. Auburn will recover but only if you hire the right coach.

13 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

another good read i think we can be better than past indicates. but we have to get the right guy thats the tricky part

https://strangeandgreatstateofalabama755539042.wordpress.com/2020/12/08/auburn-football-thinks-it-can-be-better-than-what-it-currently-has-but-lets-look-to-its-past/

It is always about the right guy.  Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin, Spurrier at UF, Sweeny at Clemson, etc.  

4 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

We all be fine. Bama recovered from years of ineptitude after Stallings. Auburn will recover but only if you hire the right coach.

Yes but man, I hope we don't have to wait nearly as long.

21 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

IMO he would be nuts to leave there come to Auburn and be required to beat UGA, UA, LSU and win the SEC title year in and year out. It’s brutal down here. 

Posts like this absolutely drive me nuts.

We're literally in the position we're in right now because the entire administration, fanbase, and boosters have been lulled into a state of accepting mediocrity. Its actually the exact OPPOSITE of what you just described. Who in the hell at Auburn is asking for wins over those teams and SEC championships every year? We're paying $7 mill for a coach who does NONE of those things, and he somehow actually still has some level of support - even if it's pretty miniscule at this point. So in actuality, none of the things that you just described appear to be the "expectation" at Auburn.

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

Most of us aren't requiring the current staff to beat UGA/UA/LSU AND win the SEC year in and year out.  We are however, asking that they go toe to toe (50/50) with UGA/UA/LSU, dominate the lower level SEC teams (OM/MSU/Arky/USCe) and seriously compete strong enough to be in the running for the SEC in the month of November, actually make it to ATL every 2-3 yrs?  Is that too much to ask from a staff pulling top 5 salaries?

It's brutal down here for sure and it's not a job for the faint of heart.  It's also not a job where the Head Coach thinks a 4 loss season is "solid."  

The salaries are just a reflection of the market for coaches in the SEC. All of them are inflated imo. As for football Auburn can’t go 10-2, 9-3 every season with a losses to Bama, LSU or UGA. Doing that while they are at a peak will keep you out of the SEC and BCS title. And the fanbase will still grumble. I am not gonna beat him up for what he said, Gus has coached football a long time. I saw the same record this season less the USC loss. Auburn just is not talented enough in the trenches this season to compete with UGA/UA and the senior laden TAMU team just pushed the dline around. I think he knows that and knew it would be thought to beat all 3. With that said he is the HC and should be held accountable for what he has built even if that means he is let go this season or next.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes but man, I hope we don't have to wait nearly as long.

Bama's biggest problem was letting boosters and trustees run the football program. They were all under influence from Bear's boys. Finally, the AD (Mal Moore) was given latitude to tell all the fingerprinters to GFY, hire who he wants and get it done. 

In my assessment, AU in 2020 is where UA was 2000 with Mike Dubose, minus the sanctions. That's the saving grace for AU is no NCAA drama to deal with. So yes, AU should not and likely will not have to wait until 8 years to find "the guy," but the people with influence have to pony up money and take their hands off.  

10 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

It took Bama over a decade to recover from the ineptitude.  Hopefully the PTB at Auburn will head this downward spiral early enough to ward off any deeper ineptitude than what we already have on staff.

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

The salaries are just a reflection of the market for coaches in the SEC. All of them are inflated imo. As for football Auburn can’t go 10-2, 9-3 every season with a losses to Bama, LSU or UGA. Doing that while they are at a peak will keep you out of the SEC and BCS title. And the fanbase will still grumble. I am not gonna beat him up for what he said, Gus has coached football a long time. I saw the same record this season less the USC loss. Auburn just is not talented enough in the trenches this season to compete with UGA/UA and the senior laden TAMU team just pushed the dline around. I think he knows that and knew it would be thought to beat all 3. With that said he is the HC and should be held accountable for what he has built even if that means he is let go this season or next.

Gus has had 8 full years to build his program and we all know it's an average 4 loss per season entity he's built.  Hell, he knows what he's built and he thinks it's a solid team. :dead:

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

There isn't any logical sense to wait. He's gonna get paid no matter if it's now or next year. In fact, if he is fired after next season, after annual salary and buyout, we'll end up paying him more than if we do it now.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

If true it Needs context though, especially in relation to Bama. Nowhere near the enrollment numbers as Bama, higher cost, & less schollies given means a lot less people apply to AU than Bama.

Thanks, but I must reject that.  Auburn received 17K apps for this year and accepted over 15K.  According to Auburn University, that is 85% acceptance.

By the same token, Yale received 31,400, and only accepted 1972. Alabama received 37K an immediately cut that down to about 20K.

Auburn is NOT being selective by ANY means.

Lol how has this gone negative when nothing has actually happened? He escaped out the back door once in the middle of the night when the buy out was 32 million in 2018. He won't escape again. Since then according to people who know elsewhere more and more people are anti gus who matter. Aka the 🤑💰 money 💵 people. They are the loudest people in the room. There is no one standing up and pounding the table for Gus. Just those that are neutral. I don't think they miss again.

47 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

"Auburn football thinks it can be better than what it currently has but let's look to its past."

Irrelevant line of thought. Reject it on premise. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

How many coaches have beaten Saban and fielded ranked teams in the hardest conference?

Auburn is going to SPIRAL. BAAAAAAAAAD. Because the SEC is only getting better...

Beating Saban is not enough. Fielding ranked teams is not enough. What's the point in keeping anyone who is unsatisfactory? 

I don't like being negatively-motivated. "We better do X or something bad will happen." How about, we better hire a good coach in order for us to win. 

I'd rather spiral into a dumpster fire in pursuit of championships than stay a "dignified" 7 or 8 win team.

1 hour ago, KnightTiger said:

there were auburn/petrino rumors in 2012 as well i remember because almost every auburn board had them some said he would be hired the week of the iron bowl, others the week after the iron bowl, others the week of the sec championship game. there were callers on sports call and other radio shows starting to spill all kinds of crazy auburn/petrino rumors

That’s all bull s*** talkers making it up.    It was going to be the real deal had someone not let the cat out of bag before the Bama game.   Petrino was going to be the HC  the in 1998 if jet gate didn’t happen.   

5 minutes ago, metafour said:

Posts like this absolutely drive me nuts.

We're literally in the position we're in right now because the entire administration, fanbase, and boosters have been lulled into a state of accepting mediocrity. Its actually the exact OPPOSITE of what you just described. Who in the hell at Auburn is asking for wins over those teams and SEC championships every year? We're paying $7 mill for a coach who does NONE of those things, and he somehow actually still has some level of support - even if it's pretty miniscule at this point. So in actuality, none of the things that you just described appear to be the "expectation" at Auburn.

Gus won and outsmarted Auburn in contract negotiations. So yeah the price tag to move on from him is higher than it should be. Auburn has to be fiscally responsible this go round. You can’t write a 20 plus million dollar check, payoff assistants, then dole out new money but swing and miss on the new hire. Many support him because he is the coach at Auburn. I don’t ridicule or undermine anyone for their reasoning for standing by coach. Their choice. The expectation has to be competing or beating those teams way way way more than losing to them because if you do lose to them you basically will have Gus 2.0 and we will be griping and asking for another coaching change. If you can’t beat UGA, LSU, and UA consistently you are looking at an every 3-4 year chance at a title and I don’t think that will pacify the Auburn Family board.

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol how has this gone negative when nothing has actually happened? He escaped out the back door once in the middle of the night when the buy out was 32 million in 2018. He won't escape again. Since then according to people who know elsewhere more and more people are anti gus who matter. Aka the 🤑💰 money 💵 people. They are the loudest people in the room. There is no one standing up and pounding the table for Gus. Just those that are neutral. I don't think they miss again.

He will be back imo. Unless a booster gives Auburn a blank check to fire then turn around and hire new people. 

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

my man jang (Jeff) was banned unjustly in my eyes. 

It was just for how he was posting back then. He's posting differently now on the Rant but back then on here he was largely posting just to argue & spam & flame on the boards just for the sake of doing it. Spamming & flaming the boards is against AUF site rules. He was given a very long leash on those things before he was let go. Glad he has changed his posting ways & wish he had done it before he left.

Archived