Insiders Hearing Anything? (Threads Merged)

AUght2win

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

image.gif

I have a feeling he’s not gonna sign anything before this weekend. Maybe just a gut feeling and my own hope but hey I’d rather hope for this than be consigned to thinking another year with Gustav. 

14 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

No. Im just saying a rose is a rose is a rose. 

Arbitrary rules or not. Probation and post season bans are just that. Both coaches have had those issues is all im saying.

And Martha Stewart and Charles Manson had the same issues too, right? Both were inmates, right?

Hey...a rose is a rose is a rose. 

Anyone who's been following the disarray along the West Coast shouldn't be too surprised by the PAC 12 looking sloppy and disheveled.

It's been pointed out they're breaking in a new QB, new OL, but also consider they have Joe Moorehead to break in at OC on top of the aforementioned lack of prep and development.

USC is undefeated with Clay Helton sitting on the hotseat if that tells you anything.

20 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I have been here lurking and reading posts. Ive just had a difficult time posting here since my man jang (Jeff) was banned unjustly in my eyes. 

But times like this make me want to engage lol

With all the talk of Mario, I’m shocked it took you this long.

I too wish @aujeff11 was still around. 

2 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Gus isn't going anywhere.

Flex, I don't think that I have ever disagreed with anything that you have posted. I do on this post, though. It will do a helluva' lot more damage to keep him than to replace him, and cost much more in the long run from a financial standpoint. I understand where you are coming from, but I'm seeing the cardboard bottom of the boat soaking up water and its soon to start coming apart at the seams( may already be). You know more about football than anyone on this board, so I'll ask you this: Does this offense look like an offense that can win consistently against good defenses?. I'm not trying to be argumentative with you, I just see signs of the wheels coming off. Malzahn does a lot of things right, but when you do not evolve over almost a decade, you ain't going to last long in the SEC. He will probably be here next year, but it will be a huge mistake

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Just to refresh everyone's memory, it wasn't really the cookout itself that landed Pearl in hot water.  It was that Bruce lied about it and said the cookout never happened.  Then a picture surfaced and that makes things worse because then you wonder what else he lied about.  Had Bruce just admitted it, he would most likely still be Tennessee's coach.  Something like that I am happy we gave him a second chance.  There are some things that you can move on from and give another chance.  Others, like the kind of assault on the opposite gender, should never be excused or given a second chance.

Another example because I saw it mentioned yesterday is I would give Sark a second chance here if he is the right fit football-wise.  Being in a small town like Auburn might actually benefit someone with alcohol-abuse history.  I would be more concerned with him in a place like Athens, where you can't throw a rock without hitting a bar.

Pearl is as dirty as any of them. You know it, I know it, we all know it. Let's just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd prefer neither

I think most AU fans feel this way today. I suspect Malzahn will not be our head coach too much longer. I posted some time ago that our administration is hurting our football program as they should either extend the contract or pay the buyout and go in a different direction. Recruiting this year is in bad shape because of the uncertainty around our program created by our administration. The damage that has been done just makes it harder for us to have sustained success going forward. It can be done, but the hill is steeper. Also, I really like the way our roster sets up for next season no matter who the coach happens to be. 

19 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

You only have the option to get 2 guys:
1.) A stop gap coach with no prospects that would be willing to take one of the HARDEST coaching positions in the nation bar none.

2.) A superior coach that is leaving the NFL or has enough money thrown at them to come to Auburn. (Money that we don't have available mind you.)

3. A great up and coming coach who is a great recruiter, motivator, and isn't intimidated by our rivals.  One who sees that historically coaches come into this position and have success pretty quickly.  One that can couple those things with a relentless drive to pursue excellence unlike the last low-key guy who gave up in key areas and situations.

2 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Flex, I don't think that I have ever disagreed with anything that you have posted. I do on this post, though. It will do a helluva' lot more damage to keep him than to replace him, and cost much more in the long run from a financial standpoint. I understand where you are coming from, but I'm seeing the cardboard bottom of the boat soaking up water and its soon to start coming apart at the seams( may already be). You know more about football than anyone on this board, so I'll ask you this: Does this offense look like an offense that can win consistently against good defenses?. I'm not trying to be argumentative with you, I just see signs of the wheels coming off. Malzahn does a lot of things right, but when you do not evolve over almost a decade, you ain't going to last long in the SEC. He will probably be here next year, but it will be a huge mistake

I'm not arguing this from a football perspective. If it were based on a football perspective, then Gus would have been gone last year or mid season. This is about $$ and business risk.

How many coaches have beaten Saban and fielded ranked teams in the hardest conference? If you're hiring for one of those then you NEED MORE MONEY THAN WE HAVE OR WILL HAVE WITH GUS' BUYOUT HANGING AROUND OUR NECKS. 

Sure you can say, "What do you have to lose" but business doesn't work like that. You could try and hire a Bill Clark or pull some other SEC Former great, but if those guys aren't asking for a great amount of money, then chances are, they aren't the kind of guys that can feasibly fix the mess that Gus as created and if they don't Auburn is going to SPIRAL. BAAAAAAAAAD. Because the SEC is only getting better and recruiting is getting more slim and being an openly rebuilding team isn't a great immediate recruiter. If the money is there, I'd say throw the cash at a proven NFL Head Coach or some big name. I just don't think Auburn has the pockets to afford that level of coach yet, not with several OTHER jobs more conducive for a smarter coach to go and build comfortably without having people ready to press the hotseat button.

4 minutes ago, Jones Field said:

Pearl is as dirty as any of them. You know it, I know it, we all know it. Let's just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

I love 'im!!!

BUT, with the Persons escapade that has already cost Auburn the loss of two players for a whole season + recruiting restrictions + an NCAA investigation + our star freshman still ineligible due to his father's AAU team pouring players to AU + a post season ban + likely a couple of yrs probation + Lord knows what else is coming down the pipe line from the NCAA.  Well, as you said let's just enjoy the ride while it lasts.  

2 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

3. A great up and coming coach who is a great recruiter, motivator, and isn't intimidated by our rivals.  One who sees that historically coaches come into this position and have success pretty quickly.  One that can couple those things with a relentless drive to pursue excellence unlike the last low-key guy who gave up in key areas and situations.

Ok, so what makes him choose Auburn other than other hungry programs willing to give him full control and with less competitive recruiting situations. Because I don't think Auburn is going to have the $$$ to basically entice someone to come here, be the whooping boy of the West and spoil any chance they have of getting a new job if it goes South.

We have the 43rd NATIONAL RECRUITING CLASS THIS YEAR and that's not even looking at how low in our own conference we are. Oh, did I mention its the HARDEST conference to win in, one that has to perennially play a ranked opponent gauntlet, with sky high expectations and comparisons from a neighboring dynasty that whisks any recruit they want away from everyone in any state, and out of state schools out recruiting them in their own back yard?

What you say sounds awesome, but any coach that is smart better have the largest of balls to ignore these facts.... And if they do, chances are, they aren't that smart.

Auburn is a logistics nightmare because they let it become one by keeping Gus, letting him run off talent, and then not replenishing said talent.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I just don't think Auburn has the pockets to afford that level of coach yet, not with several OTHER jobs more conducive for a smarter coach to go and build comfortably without having people ready to press the hotseat button.

The money is drying up with or without the buyout...that's what we have to lose.  Make the change or loyal fans continue to bail on the program.  The person responsible for this should pony up the 10 mil due in Jan, then the other payments get worked into the yearly budgets.  

Of course, similar to "Orange Man Bad", I'm joining the Gus Man Bad group.  Get him out of here.  We're dying in this desert.

All of the above mentioned(money/baggage) plus our history in hiring coaches is leading me to think we will get an “up and coming” coach. Just my gut. 

Of course, it could be that 3rd taco I ate. But whatever. 

Just now, AUDevil said:

The money is drying up with or without the buyout...that's what we have to lose.  Make the change or loyal fans continue to bail on the program.  The person responsible for this should pony up the 10 mil due in Jan, then the other payments get worked into the yearly budgets.  

Of course, similar to "Orange Man Bad", I'm joining the Gus Man Bad group.  Get him out of here.  We're dying in this desert.

Sadly they wont. They had a great window to replace Gus and let it slide. Now just looks like panic-selling which doesn't really spur many people to put their money on the table. 

30 minutes ago, Viper said:

And Martha Stewart and Charles Manson had the same issues too, right? Both were inmates, right?

Hey...a rose is a rose is a rose. 

Well in the pretty much everyone's eyes that answer would be no. However in everyday life they are a lot more alike than one may imagine. 

They are both felons. They have both done prison time. Neither of them would ever be able to live the life a non felon would. 

So in some ways yeah, they are the same. There are lots of kinds of roses my friend. There are 5 dollar rose bushes and then there is the Juliet Rose. 

And as far as Mario goes i would absolutely love to have him be our coach. I know Eugene is terrified of losing him, but then again, they wanted no part of Taggert being taken by FSU. Fact is Mike Belotti or however you spell his name changed the culture at Oregon. Most attribute it to Chip Kelly, but it was CMB who brought in an unknown offensive coordinator from New Hampshire by the name of Chip Kelly. The brass tax of it is that the PAC is down. Its easy for Oregon when their only real competition is UDub. Once USC gets back rolling, look for Oregon to take a step back regardless who is roaming the sidelines of Autzen. 

1 minute ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

This is about $$ and business risk.

I don't disagree with you in thinking like that, because you are on solid ground with your position. I am looking at it from a long term situation. I'm an old man and I've seen a lot over those years and I can sense when things are not right. Something is out of kilter right now in the AU program. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I am afraid the dam is about to burst. I heard a segment on Jox this morning where the guy ( I did not catch his name) had a friend who was a booster and this guy was repeating what he was told. He said that some of the "neutrals" had moved over to the "fire his ass" column due to his "solid" comment, and while the buyout would be painful, it would not be the deciding factor if a consensus was reached. You are correct, there is never a good time to pay somebody 20 mil to not work, but if it is going to cost more in the longrun, it has to be done

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:
18 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

they should either extend the contract

THIS HAS TO BE THE WORST TAKE I HAVE EVER SEEN

Do wha? Extend his contract? This guy writes this same type s*** on the 24/7 board,too.....Some folks are just happy be average. Gus Malzahn strives to be "solid"....They should have to sleep together

19 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Ok, so what makes him choose Auburn other than other hungry programs willing to give him full control and with less competitive recruiting situations. Because I don't think Auburn is going to have the $$$ to basically entice someone to come here, be the whooping boy of the West and spoil any chance they have of getting a new job if it goes South.

We have the 43rd NATIONAL RECRUITING CLASS THIS YEAR and that's not even looking at how low in our own conference we are. Oh, did I mention its the HARDEST conference to win in, one that has to perennially play a ranked opponent gauntlet, with sky high expectations and comparisons from a neighboring dynasty that whisks any recruit they want away from everyone in any state, and out of state schools out recruiting them in their own back yard?

What you say sounds awesome, but any coach that is smart better have the largest of balls to ignore these facts.... And if they do, chances are, they aren't that smart.

Auburn is a logistics nightmare because they let it become one by keeping Gus, letting him run off talent, and then not replenishing said talent.

While I see what you’re saying, I think you also have to look at it from the long term perspective because the current situation isn’t likely to get any better by delaying the inevitable.  All P5 coaches better have a huge set of balls and an ego to match it or they’ll soon find out they’re in the wrong profession.  IMO the bleeding has to be stopped by any reasonable means while the program is still salvageable. Otherwise, get ready to be the new Tennessee!

5 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Do wha? Extend his contract? This guy writes this same type s*** on the 24/7 board,too.....Some folks are just happy be average. Gus Malzahn strives to be "solid"....They should have to sleep together

Ive seen some of the other nonsense he has said in this thread but that just takes the cake

All the hoopla has been fun but it is for not. We might as accept reality that he will be bacK next year. Also accept that we will kill Mississippi State and amnesia will happen for some parties 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

All the hoopla has been fun but it is for not. We might as accept reality that he will be bacK next year. Also accept that we will kill Mississippi State and amnesia will happen for some parties 

You’re probably right about the first.  Don’t know about the last statement.  Moo State may very well win.  

I’m at the point I don’t believe there is a pair of stones to be found anywhere near the football program anymore.  

Archived